Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Exit polls, results, coverage and all things election night.

15678911»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Economists are saying that no matter who got elected, jobs will be created.
    The Bloomberg Report suggested this before the election. If they are correct, and the US economy recovers and grows, including the reduction of unemployment to the normal 5 percent plus range nationally, then the GOP will have a serious dilemma in terms of developing a political platform with appeal to voters in 2016.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Phew. that was an amazing time.

We left home in Seattle and took the ferry up to Victoria, in Canada.

I was so nervous romney would win we were joking that if he did we could tear up the tickets and stay in canada.

But we spent a great night in a bar in victoria watching the results, amazing how many americans did the same thing and also amazing that it seems like all canadians are obama supporters because it was like watching the superbowl with all the cheering and noise. Brilliant time and I love canadians...

:o

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Thanks to all who explained the college system for your patience and clarity :)

Something I've wondered about for years :0

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Brian? wrote: »

I don't think the market actually gives a flying **** whether a deal can be done on raising the debt ceiling. It does however care that there will be fewer people in Europe buying the stuff companies make.
    Brian? wrote: »
    I don't know whether they did or not. I am talking the specific example of the Dow and s&p dropping post ECB announcement. Keep up.

If you do not know about a subject matter I would suggest you stop talking about it as if you are an authority on it. That is all.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

jank wrote: »

If you do not know about a subject matter I would suggest you stop talking about it as if you are an authority on it. That is all.

And I suggest you make an actual point rather than a series of snide remarks.

Those 2 responses were to entirely different posts.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

MOD REMINDER:
    Please focus on the topic of the thread, and not each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

An interesting post from a Romney volunteer on the campaigns attempt to digitise the 'strike list' and the problems that followed:

http://ace.mu.nu/archives/334783.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Mjollnir

An interesting post from a Romney volunteer on the campaigns attempt to digitise the 'strike list' and the problems that followed:

http://ace.mu.nu/archives/334783.php

Wow. Talk about amateur hour at the Apollo.

Done in by a two chair redundancy, or at least the sloppiness that it represents.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Amerika wrote: »
    Thanks. What about ammunition company stocks? With Obama winning reelection there are renewed reports about efforts to tax ammunition into levels where their purchase would become cost prohibitive (getting around the 2nd ammendment). I foresee a rush of people stocking up on ammunition.

edit: Whether it’s true or not, perception is everything... and I believe people will be stocking up, regardless if any efforts by the government will take place.

Probably not so much. The ammunition factories were working three shifts a few years ago at the height of GWOT, I believe the availability of ammo down your local store has increased since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

Today the Interior Department issued a final plan to close 1.6 million acres of federal land in the West, originally slated for oil shale development.

And so it starts!

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭nagilum2

Today the Interior Department issued a final plan to close 1.6 million acres of federal land in the West, originally slated for oil shale development.

And so it starts!

But Obama said that his administration had done so much to increase domestic production? This can't be! ;)

#bringonsequestration
    #nobudgetdeal

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

And so it starts!

Isn't the current administration valid until January?

So this would have happened regardless of the outcome of the election?

nagilum2 wrote: »
    But Obama said that his administration had done so much to increase domestic production? This can't be! ;)
    As the saying goes... "You ain't seen nothing yet"

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭nagilum2

Stheno wrote: »

It's interesting that it happened now instead of a week or two before the election, dont you think?

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »

Absolutely! And wait you see all the other actions, which have already been decided upon, come out in the next few months.... After the election!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,195 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

And so it starts!
    I'm sure Yellowstone has probably got a few deposits as well. Let's cut the red tape and just frack the hell out of it.

Overheal wrote: »
    I'm sure Yellowstone has probably got a few deposits as well. Let's cut the red tape and just frack the hell out of it.

No it doesn't. Yellowstone sits over a massive caldera, and a dome has begun swelling up, possibly because molten rock is accumulating beneath the surface. If that erupts it wlll be the worst thing man has ever seen... global warmning, nuclear weapons, famine, drought, disease or Barack Obama will be the least of our problems.

No it doesn't. Yellowstone sits over a massive caldera, and a dome has begun swelling up, possibly because molten rock is accumulating beneath the surface. If that erupts it wlll be the worst thing man has ever seen... global warmning, nuclear weapons, famine, drought, disease or Barack Obama will be the least of our problems.
    Okay, I was being facetious. The point is reserved lands are reserved for a reason. I'd rather sit on untapped reserves that we could develop during an act of war, than to lower the price of gasoline by 25 cents over 10 years.

Okay, I was being facetious. The point is reserved lands are reserved for a reason. I'd rather sit on untapped reserves that we could develop during an act of war, than to lower the price of gasoline by 25 cents over 10 years.
    Better hope for very long drawn out wars.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

You mean more very long drawn out wars...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Just one thought on the whole 2012 campaign season - well, more of a question really. It was said at the outset that with a choppy economy Obama was there for the taking.

What I don't understand is, if this was a perceived shoo-in for a Republican candidate who can chew gum and walk at the same time, why was there a clown car of political pygmies in the Republican primaries?

Why did the likes of Chris Christie, Condi Rice, Bobby Jindal, Marco Rubio, Jeb Bush etc. all sit this one out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

Duck Soup wrote: »

Why did the likes of Chris Christie, Condi Rice, Bobby Jindal, Marco Rubio, Jeb Bush etc. all sit this one out?

because they knew it would be a long shot beating Obama, safer to sit this one out and try in 4 years time.

As it happens we're already in a long drawn out resource war. When the middle east dries up, it's going to change the game.

In an actual invasion scenario I believe our military plans count on the strategic reserve and probably some martial law/executive orders on the consumption of fuel for nonmilitary purposes. You have a storm and suddenly you can only gas up on odd-numbered days, and thats just during "peace time".

Once you reduce or eliminate private consumption we have the production in the US already to operate independently of foreign resources by my reckoning.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

As it happens we're already in a long drawn out resource war. When the middle east dries up, it's going to change the game.
    2/3rd's of the oil is still in the wells.

Recovery of this oil costs too much at the moment but as the price goes up and new technology comes on line more of it will be accessible.
    In an actual invasion scenario I believe our military plans count on the strategic reserve and probably some martial law/executive orders on the consumption of fuel for nonmilitary purposes. You have a storm and suddenly you can only gas up on odd-numbered days, and thats just during "peace time".

Once you reduce or eliminate private consumption we have the production in the US already to operate independently of foreign resources by my reckoning.
    not sure if genuine but this could be another oil drain http://www.heritage.org/research/reports/1979/02/the-iranian-oil-crisis
    a secret codicil to the 1975 Second Sinai withdrawal agreement which commits the United States to make oil available for sale to the Israelis for up to five years in an emergency.

Invasion ?

Advertisement