Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Exit polls, results, coverage and all things election night.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

68Murph68 wrote: »
    Ha RTE have Trinity's Professor of Drama on.

Hes not very dramatic.

They have a politics department surely, what on earth is the dramatist on for? In the States so can't turn RTE on. :P

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

rte 64:82 - where they getting numbers from ?

cnn/bbc on 64:40

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

Professor of drama? Did RTE just ring up all the Universities within an hour's drive of Donnybrook and ask them to send all their american staff members up? It seems like the only qualification they need to tell us about the election is a vaguely American accent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

msnbc has 64 82 as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

rte 64:82 - where they getting numbers from ?

cnn/bbc on 64:40

Was wondering that myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Oh Hell Oui!

K-9 wrote: »
    Early indications so far are very encouraging for Obama, Florida, Virginia and Ohio. If they hold up, it's all over.

CNN predicting 59 % Obama 40% Romney for Ohio, Florida much closer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

RCP now have 79 56

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

CNN just put Romney ahead in Florida, 51-49. I don't believe there have been any surprises yet, nor have there been any significant swing states declared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

Romney now leads in Florida, 54% of votes counted, about 150,000 votes in it at the moment, this will be a close one guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭brimal

CNN just put Romney ahead in Florida, 51-49. I don't believe there have been any surprises yet, nor have there been any significant swing states declared.

I'm not sure the full schedule of the counties, but I read that the Democrat-leaning counties will be the last to be counted. I think the strong Democrat counties were counted first.

Oh, I just caught Indiana being projected as going from Blue to Red. How'd I miss that? Not that it's a massive EC vote or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Florida is going to end up really close whichever way it goes.....

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭68Murph68

Coriolanus wrote: »
    They have a politics department surely, what on earth is the dramatist on for? In the States so can't turn RTE on. :P
    Syferus wrote: »
    Professor of drama? Did RTE just ring up all the Universities within an hour's drive of Donnybrook and ask them to send all their american staff members up? It seems like the only qualification they need to tell us about the election is a vaguely American accent.

He was a Mitchell scholar and was talking sense to be fair as regard red states/blue states versus individual counties but was very undramatic.

I was sure that it was a moral obligation for a guy with the title of Professor of Drama in Trinity to have at least one of a cape/monocle/walking stick, if not all three.

brimal wrote: »
    I'm not sure the full schedule of the counties, but I read that the Democrat-leaning counties will be the last to be counted. I think the strong Democrat counties were counted first.

I think you mis-typed that, but I agree that the D-leaning precincts tend to come in at the end, due to their generally being bigger.

Then it starts to go back the other way with the absentee ballots chipping in, with their heavy mlitary contingent. Then the provisional ballots, if any....

Sounds like you read the tallies in so far, not CNN predicting the win. No way there's a 60-40 split in Ohio. Everyone is still saying it's too close to call.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Oh, I just caught Indiana being projected as going from Blue to Red. How'd I miss that? Not that it's a massive EC vote or anything.
    been pink here for a while
    http://edition.cnn.com/election/2012/results/race/president

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

Wasn't it one of the first projected? More importantly Vigo county has gone blue with all of the vote counted.

BBC showing virginia map

any update on Penn

Pay no head to 60-40 in Ohio in favour of Obama atm. All exit polls so far have them running kneck and kneck, with a winner impossible to predict, presumably blue counties have been opened first

Virginia has suspended counting for an hour until the voting lines die down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭cristoir

Obama sneaking back into the lead in Florida with 53 percent counted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

And Virginia just swung back to Romney. It's 18% vote counted. RTE/BBC coverage is probably as good as any atm, US Networks are just counting boxes.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Comedy gold from our after hours counterparts " Sky news showing African American vote counters in Ohio...and an old white guy in a star spangled shirt watching over them like a hawk. I'm guessing he's not an Obama fan. " - phoenix999

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Romney getting absolutely mullahed on the Latino vote nationally, by as much as 75/25.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

8000 votes between them in Florida. It has 2000 written all over it.

Jesus this is close.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Oh Hell Oui!

Sounds like you read the tallies in so far, not CNN predicting the win. No way there's a 60-40 split in Ohio. Everyone is still saying it's too close to call.

I apologise wrong choice of words :) CNN speculating would probably be better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Aykina

Fantastic "path to whitehouse" graphic in NYTimes:
    http://elections.nytimes.com/2012/results/president/scenarios?hp

Brian? wrote: »
    8000 votes between them in Florida. It has 2000 written all over it.

Jesus this is close.

Widening out again to Romney. Old people sure love Romney ;)

they/them/theirs

It's interesting to see where the figures come from

rte78:82
    cnn 64:56 (web)
    bbc 63:40
    france 24 on 64:51
    sky 79:82

Of those polled so far in Florida 70% of 18-29 year olds are in the blue corner, no surprises there I guess, but still thats huge

• Advertisement

Aykina wrote: »
    Fantastic "path to whitehouse" graphic in NYTimes:
    http://elections.nytimes.com/2012/results/president/scenarios?hp

Very nice... but they need a Florida result before it's any use!

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

How come the republicans do so well in the deep south? I'd have thought it would be a democrat territory given the history.

Chris Murphy projected to beat Linda "WWE" McMahon in the Senate race in Connecticut.

How come the republicans do so well in the deep south? I'd have thought it would be a democrat territory given the history.

It's pretty conservative territory. Insofar as there actually are any "gun-totin', commie-hatin', God-fearin, truck-drivin' rednecks", you'll find them in the South.

God, guns and Gays.

they/them/theirs

buyer95 wrote: »
    Of those polled so far in Florida 70% of 18-29 year olds are in the blue corner, no surprises there I guess, but still thats huge
    but rural votes will be in later more red.

US networks talking %'s

still haven't seen numbers on CNBC

AL Jazeera 64 / (missed it)

buyer95 wrote: »

Not really when they're 18-19 year olds, let alone in Florida of all places :pac:

It's been pretty obvious from a long time there would be a drop off in the young vote simply because this election doesn't have the rockstar factor it had in 2008. I wonder what levels of young voter drop-off the Obama campaign are projecting internally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

BBC have it Obama 77 Romney 76.

Also the whole bible belt thing too in the south

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

What I think is confusing is the states with lowest unemployment, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Oklahoma are solid votes for Romney, while the states with highest unemployment Nevada, Rhode Island, California and New Jersey are all likely solid Obama votes. Which considering the economy is the main issue for most voters is kind of bizarre.

I'm just watching CNN and don't get how they can say it's really close. Obama is matching what he got in Florida in 2008 so looks good to me.

I have never been to a friendlier place than the Southern USA. It's a genuinely fun place to be. I always cringe at the 'cutting' caricatures people over here make about the people in that region.

It really is the same as someone there thinking of us as drunk, ginger leprechauns, there's a tinge of truth to it, but to distill it to that even as a joke is about as insulting as you can get.

I have never been to a friendlier place than the Southern USA. It's a genuinely fun place to be. I always cringe at the 'cutting' caricatures people over here make about the people in that region.

It really is the same as someone there thinking of us as drunk, ginger leprechauns, there's a tinge of truth to it, but to distill it to that even as a joke is about as insulting as you can get.

Lovely people in the south, no doubt about it. But at the end of the day they vote on God, guns and gays. It's that simple.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭68Murph68

Not really when they're 18-19 year olds, let alone in Florida of all places :pac:

It's been pretty obvious from a long time there would be a drop off in the young vote simply because this election doesn't have the rockstar factor it had in 2008. I wonder what levels of young voter drop-off the Obama campaign are projecting internally.

Life must be a bit odd for some of those 18-19 year olds in Florida given the vast numbers of old people in certain areas.

Imagine being a youngster in one of the regions in the heart of the retirement community towns.

What I think is confusing is the states with lowest unemployment, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Oklahoma are solid votes for Romney, while the states with highest unemployment Nevada, Rhode Island, California and New Jersey are all likely solid Obama votes. Which considering the economy is the main issue for most voters is kind of bizarre.

Well both Dakotas are very oil rich states so would have quite a bit to gain under a pro fossil fuel candidate. Oklahoma is also one of, if not the most Republican states in the country. Nebraska would be pretty red as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

This;)

Colorado polls closing in 8 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

I don't think there will be a call for Florida until the wee hours of the morning. Reports on CNN say the lines are so long at the polls, some will not close before midnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Obamas lead in Florida is down from two percentage points to one & the raw numbers lead has dropped from over 200,000 to a 100,000. Squeaky bum time !

• Advertisement
Advertisement