Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Exit polls, results, coverage and all things election night.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Jesus, just saw a overhead shot - the lines in Miami-Dade are blocks long at some polling places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭brimal

North Carolina (15 votes) was GOP-leaning throughout the election but after 60% of votes counted it's only 50/49 Romney

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Well both Dakotas are very oil rich states so would have quite a bit to gain under a pro fossil fuel candidate. Oklahoma is also one of, if not the most Republican states in the country. Nebraska would be pretty red as well.

I'm aware that these states are traditionally Republican states. What I'm saying is that in an election where the recession and the economy is apparently the primary issue, its bizarre that states with 3% unemployment and booming economies are voting against the incumbent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Florida is bonus territory for Obama though.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

I'm aware that these states are traditionally Republican states. What I'm saying is that in an election where the recession and the economy is apparently the primary issue, its bizarre that states with 3% unemployment and booming economies are voting against the incumbent.

Because people vote on issues beyond employment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

Brian? wrote: »
    Lovely people in the south, no doubt about it. But at the end of the day they vote on God, guns and gays. It's that simple.

Religion is a big issue, guns less so as so much of that is on a state-level, but homesexuality hardly registers, indeed I attended an evangelical service and I know most there were friends with homosexual people outside the church. I don't like this disconnect here that most just assume the people there don't have room for genuine tolerance and compassion outside of their religious beliefs.

I remember going to New York with a friend from there and we met a black beggar who picked up on my friend's accent and went off on what could only be described as extremely aggressive and hateful race baiting tirade against her simple because she was from Alabama. Now I know it's not something to be judging everyone on, but it does highlight how an image takes hold and becomes acceptable for someone to be grouped by out-dated caricatures driven by black and white (pun not intended) ideas of what someone or some collection of people are.

Same thing happens to blacks in America to a far greater degree but it's just as detestable in all its forms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Jesus, just saw a overhead shot - the lines in Miami-Dade are blocks long at some polling places.

Earlier, Rachel Maddow was telling people who might be in voting lines (and watching MSNBC on a mobile device) to stay where they are when the polls close, as legally they have to let you vote once you're in line before the close-of-poll deadline.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭68Murph68

Ballot paper(s) in Florida is 10 pages long with a lot of propositions in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

literally kneck and kneck in Florida, 50-50, with 71% counted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

Well the Dakotas would see their prosperity as a result of the oil boom as opposed to government policy although they might see Obama as an anti fossil fuel person an by extension, a threat to their good economy.

Oklahoma on the other hand would just be insurmountable for a Democrat due to the huge Republican vote in that state.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭cristoir

Michigan calls instantly for Obama. Romney campaign had said it would be close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭brimal

That Michigan early projection is a bit of a surprise, didn't expect it this early

YES, MICHGAN! The feeling's forever...

(this may only make sense if you grew up in the Upper Midwest...)

Because people vote on issues beyond employment?

Ha I guess they'll have to change it to "It's not just the economy stupid"

In one precinct in Colorado, they've run out of ballot papers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

Its good night Irene for me, and barring getting up for the loo in the middle of the night, ill find out how this played out at about 8am(Yawn)

Duck Soup wrote: »
    In one precinct in Colorado, they've run out of ballot papers.

Toilet Paper?

People still waiting in lines in Virginia. They have to be allowed to vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

florida just gone in romneys favour

• Advertisement

Yes, he's up by a whopping 1,200 votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭nagilum2

brimal wrote: »
    That Michigan early projection is a bit of a surprise, didn't expect it this early

Western panhandle of Florida is starting to come in now. Florida looks like it's going to Romney.

I don't think it matters though. Based on that early Michigan call, I think Romney is very unlikely to get Ohio or Wisconsin, which effectively puts 270 out of reach for him.

I'm still rooting for the narrow Electoral College Obama win by with Romney taking the pop vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Yes, he's up by a whopping 1,200 votes.

I'm supposed to be sleeping but I must find out where this goes. :pac: Ohio looks like it will go Obama's way at this point.

Obama projected to win Pennsylvania.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I'm thinking Nagilum's on the right track.

CNN projecting the House will remain red, which isn't surprising, but is significant. Must check on the Governors' Mansions, there were expectations of a very large swing to Republican.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Corkfeen wrote: »
    I'm supposed to be sleeping but I must find out where this goes. :pac:

Me too, but on holiday tomorrow :)

• Advertisement

Duck Soup wrote: »
    Obama projected to win Pennsylvania.

CNN and NBC both have 'too close to call'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

So has VA.

Uggghhh.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Florida
    3,395,983 O'B
    3,395,676 ROM

From what's being said on CNN I'd say Florida is going Obama.

Only governor's mansion of note so far is North Carolina, went D to R.

• Advertisement

nagilum2 wrote: »
    Western panhandle of Florida is starting to come in now. Florida looks like it's going to Romney.

I don't think it matters though. Based on that early Michigan call, I think Romney is very unlikely to get Ohio or Wisconsin, which effectively puts 270 out of reach for him.

I'm still rooting for the narrow Electoral College Obama win by with Romney taking the pop vote.

But they haven't counted Miami-Dade and Broward yet, and those are big Dem areas (especially the latter), and much more densely populated than the Panhandle.

NBC CBS and FOX now all have it for Obama

Fox have called it for Obama.

nagilum2 wrote: »

Not necessarily. CNN pointing out that there are a lot of votes to be counted in Miami-Dade and Broward counties, both of which polled strongly Democrat in 2008.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭whatstherush

cristoir wrote: »
    From what's being said on CNN I'd say Florida is going Obama.
    Ya miami area heavy Obama but only 30 percent votes in.

Florida
    3,395,983 O'B
    3,395,676 ROM

Depressing, isn't it? Why can't Florida have a nice, simple election in the future? It's always down to a few-score people.

On the plus side, it's yet another argument in favour of "Yes, your one vote can count"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

90% of Miami Dade & Broward Counties still to declare. Both have huge populations of Hispanics and snowbirds from the North East. Both should be in Obamas camp. Not overly worried about Florida just yet.

CNN are really good for county by county analysis.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://edition.cnn.com/election/2012/results/race/president

3,446,431 / 3,433,466 and people are still standing in line

Not necessarily. CNN pointing out that there are a lot of votes to be counted in Miami-Dade and Broward counties, both of which polled strongly Democrat in 2008.

I'll add to that - those counties did well for Democrats in 2004, when John Kerry was the candidate. So I think there will be a significant swing blue from Broward county and some swing from Miami-Dade; the latter has a lot of Cuban Republicans.

• Advertisement

[-0-] wrote: »
    So has VA.

Uggghhh.

I'm happy. I want O to win by the narrowest of margins.

#rootingforgridlock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

Does anyone know the number of military from FL who vote absentee, and when their votes get counted?

Fox have called the House for the Republicans.

Depressing, isn't it? Why can't Florida have a nice, simple election in the future? It's always down to a few-score people.
    Should have been sorted out after 2000 ,

Running out of pencils is sloppy,
    but yer man on BBC mentioned running out of ballot papers ? :eek:

I'll add to that - those counties did well for Democrats in 2004, when John Kerry was the candidate. So I think there will be a significant swing blue from Broward county and some swing from Miami-Dade; the latter has a lot of Cuban Republicans.

Cheers. You said what I said - but better and quicker. :D

Intrade is now calling Florida as leaning Democrat.

Pennsylvania for Obama

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Well done GOP on cutting the amount of early voting.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Cheers. You said what I said - but better and quicker. :D

Intrade is now calling Florida as leaning Democrat.

I worked on voter turnout in South Florida in 2004, so I am overly familiar with those districts... ;)

Pennsylvania for Obama

Wisconsin too.

Now I need Obama to get Ohio and Romney to get VA and FL.

:D

• Advertisement

Wisconsin called for Obama.

Advertisement