Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Exit polls, results, coverage and all things election night.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Don''t be - Rove is TERRIBLE with numbers. I know a statistician who worked on the 2006 Congressional races, and Rove insisted until the bitter end that the GOP was going to hold the House, even though it was obvious the they were not. Rove talks a lot of ****e and is slick as hell, but he is not a good pollster - he's a party hack.

That's reassuring. I was under the impression he was an arch pollster.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

matthew8 wrote: »
    I don't get this concept all you guys have that republicans should vote against their principles. They've been given a mandate in the house. The people want gridlock.

What? The American public HATES the Congress, but everyone loves their Congressman.

And what exactly is their mandate? To obey Grover Norquist? Because that's how they behave.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

When Obama wins, will Fox news have to go off air, when the presenters ring in sick?

Jaysus, the count is getting closer in Virginia.....

.....and even in NC.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Surely NC is republican?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭nagilum2

And frankly, I'm one of those people. I don't like the idea of a one-party triumvirate.

But I don't want total and absolute gridlock. Just to put the reins on some of the less... centrist.. proposals.

The only thing that concerns me about an Obama presidency is the Supreme Court. I have my reasons, just as much as an Obama supporter has theirs. In terms of governence, however, it's not the end of the world.

NTM

I can't stand the two major parties, but I'm an oddball. I think that total gridlock is really the only way those sequestration mandatory 20% across the board cuts will happen.

Plus, it maximizes the odds for a third party.

If something is REALLY supported, it will still pass. What's not to like?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Oh, to answer the earlier question, Nevada has by law an option on the ballot for "None of the Above". There was a court case this year to remove it, as Republicans believed that the amount of conservatives who dislike both candidates outnumber the amount of liberals who do, and wanted to remove the loss. In 2008 some 6,000 people voted 'none of the above,' the Senate race in 2010 had 16,000 people check that box (The difference in the senate race was 41,000 votes). In the end, the 9th Circuit put a stay on a lower court's decision to remove it, pending appeal which has not happened yet as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭MrMister

When Obama wins, will Fox news have to go off air, when the presenters ring in sick?

Dat's right, baby. I'm running this game.

romney-obama-power-into-final-weekend-1351977287-6175.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Hazys wrote: »
    What an impact a no big deal seeming question/issue about equality for women in the 2nd debate has turned out to be!

The whole answer from Romney was suicide...binders full of women, what a twat.
    Romney has had a gaff for all sections of the electorate.

Nascar ? Didn't know supporters but knew some of the owners. :rolleyes:

Syria is Iran's route to the sea.

The whole car jobs to China thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Oh, to answer the earlier question, Nevada has by law an option on the ballot for "None of the Above". There was a court case this year to remove it, as Republicans believed that the amount of conservatives who dislike both candidates outnumber the amount of liberals who do, and wanted to remove the loss. In 2008 some 6,000 people voted 'none of the above,' the Senate race in 2010 had 16,000 people check that box (The difference in the senate race was 41,000 votes). In the end, the 9th Circuit put a stay on a lower court's decision to remove it, pending appeal which has not happened yet as far as I know.

Thanks for that, the fact that I didn't know what it meant was really beginning to annoy me. I thought it might have been something like that but it seemed too absurd to be real. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

can i go to bed yet? is obama the winner?

Stheno wrote: »
    Surely NC is republican?

It went for Obama in 2008.

nagilum2 wrote: »

Plus, it maximizes the odds for a third party.

There will never bee a serious third party in American politics as long as you have single-member district first-past-the-post elections. They pop up occasionally, but get squeezed into the 2-party system again. Switch to a PR system, and they you're in business.

For all practical purposes, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

Me too, is it safe?

Stheno wrote: »
    Surely NC is republican?

Logic dictates that it is, but no-one has called it yet. CNN suggesting that there are similarities to the Florida count. Romney is currently ahead by 1%, but the remaining areas to be counted lean Democrat.

Not enough for Obama to win, but enough to delay a call by the networks.

Likewise, while the score is tightening in Ohio, there are still a lot of votes to be counted in "blue" counties.

Todd 'Legitimate Rape' Akin's concession speech. Good riddance.

It went for Obama in 2008.

There will never bee a serious third party in American politics as long as you have single-member district first-past-the-post elections. They pop up occasionally, but get squeezed into the 2-party system again. Switch to a PR system, and they you're in business.

It's existed before (Bring back the Whigs?). And Perot was polling at a majority in 1992 before he imploded, and economic conditions are much worse now and unlike then, very likely to stay that way with the current US debt load (despite what all the so called experts say). There is absolutely nothing on the horizon to indicate any real economic recovery any time soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭JonSnuuu

CNN Project Minnesota For Obama and Arizona for Romney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

20Cent wrote: »
    Me too, is it safe?

I'd give it a few minutes. Florida will be over soon enough I'd say and will vote Obama.

• Advertisement

Todd 'Legitimate Rape' Akin's concession speech. Good riddance.

When you lose an election legitimately, the body knows to resist, so you don't really lose your seat.

I trust this pile of nonsense clarifies matters. ;)

When you lose an election legitimately, the body knows to resist, so you don't really lose your seat.

I trust this pile of nonsense clarifies matters. ;)

The 'lord' works in mysterious ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Florida is still close but it should widen for Obama as it closes in on 100%.

But how much does Obama have to win by to avoid a recount?

End game on its way. Obama about to get 78 EC votes confirmed.

Hazys wrote: »
    Florida is still close but it should widen for Obama as it closes in on 100%.

But how much does Obama have to win by to avoid a recount?

0.5%, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

What? The American public HATES the Congress, but everyone loves their Congressman.
    So what? That's how congress is made up. Deal with it.
    And what exactly is their mandate? To obey Grover Norquist? Because that's how they behave.

Don't ask me, I didn't vote in a congressional race. But tonight Obama has earned a mandate to carry on as he has, and so have many congressmen.

• Advertisement

End game on its way. Obama about to get 78 EC votes confirmed.

OK, 71. we'll have to wait for Oregon.

Romney to win NC despite my spraffing a few minutes ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Latest overall total from MSNBC: Obama 243, Romney 188.

Romney takes North Carolina.

Corkfeen wrote: »

Thanks for that, the fact that I didn't know what it meant was really beginning to annoy me. I thought it might have been something like that but it seemed too absurd to be real. :pac:

Well, it's pretty obscure. I belong to Nevada, so it's the sort of thing I should know.

On a totally unrelated matter, given the gadjillions of dollars spent by all the campaigns for all the races, does it count as a bipartisan stimulus package?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Here's how the map will end up:
    http://www.intrade.com/v4/misc/electoral-map/

Kaine won the senate seat in Virginia according to CNN?

NBC calling Iowa for Obama.

CNN calls Iowa for Obama.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭cristoir

Iowa called for Obama.

Iowa called for Obama...Man, I wish I was in Chicago. :(

new mexico goes blue

Projections are rolling in. New Mexico for Obama.

NBC calls Ohio for Obama and puts him past 270.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

why? are you american? genuine question

• Advertisement

Iraq war veteran Tammy Duckworth defeated incumbent Rep. Joe Walsh (R-Ill.), giving the Democrats a pickup in Illinois.

Dead beat Dad Joe Walsh lost.

:D

I have never wished I were in Chicago

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Fox just called Ohio for Obama!

Game over!!!!!!!!

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Fox are absolutely gutted, longer faces than you would see at the grand national starting post :D

Obama 274
    Romney 203

:D:D

Ohio makes it 274 - 203.

A 2nd term for Obama.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Iraq war veteran Tammy Duckworth defeated incumbent Rep. Joe Walsh (R-Ill.), giving the Democrats a pickup in Illinois.

Dead beat Dad Joe Walsh lost.

:D

Thats great news. I remember seeing an interview with her a while ago and being very impressed.

Come on CNN you are so close.

oregon goes obama

• Advertisement

Oregon called for Obama. Quelle surprise.

Advertisement