Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Exit polls, results, coverage and all things election night.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

MadsL wrote: »
    Breaking news: Romney to seek 2016 Democratic nomination.

Just heard him called "a liberal" on Fox.

Id say they are sick.

Its beautiful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,195 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Duck Soup wrote: »
    What odds legal challenges to the results in Ohio and Florida and possibly Colorado or Virginia as well?
    doubtful.

I love Rove,

"Well that gap that was 900 votes.... well it's now 29,000+ .... but there are still more votes to count!"

It's interesting (from a psephological point of view, if nothing else) that Obama may ratchet up a significant margin of victory in the Electoral College while having only a narrow majority in the popular vote.

Jesus even the other pundits on FOX are making fun of Rove now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

He's "raising a cautionary note" not saying Obama won't win Ohio. Climb down.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Overheal wrote: »
    doubtful.

I love Rove,

"Well that gap that was 900 votes.... well it's now 29,000+ .... but there are still more votes to count!"

I don't the GOP will challenge the results but some outside group - perhaps one of Rove's own interest groups - might.

Word is the Romney camp has yet to concede Ohio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

This is glorious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Rove is a real piece of work

Crawling under his rock when confronted by "the best stats guy in the world". The same guy he accused of wildly jumping the gun only minutes earlier :D

Obama wins Nevada by 9 points.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

Rove is a pox, he is just delaying the inevitable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Concession? Still writing speech.

Even if Obama were to lose Ohio, and if Romney were to win Virginia and Florida (and Alaska), Obama would still have 272.

So surely it's game over regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

It's interesting (from a psephological point of view, if nothing else) that Obama may ratchet up a significant margin of victory in the Electoral College while having only a narrow majority in the popular vote.

I suppose thats an inherent consequence of the winner-takes-all nature of most of the state electoral college votes

Its even worse in first past the post parliamentary elections like in the UK where for example, in the 1997 election Labour got 43% of the popular vote but netted 63% of the parliamentary seats.

Colorado Obama by 4 points

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭poeticseraphim

Well the electorate college system SHOULD be changed...

Colorado goes blue. A
    Much worse night for Romney that I expected.

they/them/theirs

Concession? Still writing speech.

One thousand one hundred and sixteen, one thousand one hundred and seventeen, one thousand one hundred and eighteen, finished. Yaaaayyy!

Well the electorate college system SHOULD be changed...

It should. But this campaign was to win the electoral college not the popular vote. Who's to say Obama wouldn't have won the popular vote if he'd set put his strategy to win it.

they/them/theirs

Rove in meltdown, Trump calling for revolution. This is causing heads to explode.

I told you..I told you...I said...they will not take it lying down....but no you all said ...thy are reasonable....where is that southern Judge??? The one who said there would b revolution??

How are they so surprised honestly???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Trump is an attention-seekign buffoon.

As for the popular vote, considering that California has not been counted yet, I wouldn't necessarily trust those figures.

Trump is an attention-seekign buffoon.

As for the popular vote, considering that California has not been counted yet, I wouldn't necessarily trust those figures.

It'll be a low turn out in CA as well. The certainty of the state blunts the turnout.

they/them/theirs

http://act.watchdog.net/petitions/1818?share_ref=i7NeFTCgWbw
    Mitt Romney is about to become one of the first presidential candidates ever to be charged with violating federal ethics law.

United Automobile Workers (UAW) and Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW) are preparing to launch an official lawsuit against Romney for hiding between 15.3 to 111.5 million dollars from the auto industry bailout in his wife Anne’s “blind” trust to conceal the gain and reduce taxes on it.

Hello?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Posters on freerepublic.com blaming their prayers or lack-there-of for losing.

Clutching at all the straws. Sad really.

Virginia about to go blue as well.

Florida not far behind.

Come on Mitt, concede so I can go to bed.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

They don't need to be right about everything. There are enough Americans who think they are right about enough policies to make their candidates viable. They then proceed to sabotage themselves, usually by saying something which alienates those who would otherwise vote for them.

Perhaps so..
    Oh, well.
    Guess the republican social-welfare program, the military-industrial-complex as prophesised by Eishenhower, may take a bit of a hit.
    Hopefully a permanent one.
    Understand that you're partial.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Brian? wrote: »

It'll be a low turn out in CA as well. The certainty of the state blunts the turnout.

That could be one of the advantages of having all the propositions. The presidential vote may be pretty academic, but if I show up at the polling station I get to say if my taxes will go up or not, it's still a good incentive to vote. And if I'm there, I may as well tick the box for president.

Randy Marsh is gonna party tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

As a side note apparently Colorado has just become the first state to vote for legalising marijuana, I didn't even know that was been voted on. AFAIK it will still be illegal at a federal level regardless.

Edit:- link http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/06/amendment-64-passes-in-co_n_2079899.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Whoo! MJ now legal in Colorado!!!

There's a big crowd waiting for Romney. What does he do? Does he make a concession speech? Does he tell them he'll wait till things are definite? Does he just wait it out?

There's a big crowd waiting for Romney. What does he do? Does he make a concession speech? Does he tell them he'll wait till things are definite? Does he just wait it out?

Gone on a mission to Paris?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Virginia won me 2580 tonight as long as Barry stays ahead there. Nate is a bloody witch!

He has to concede soon. The gap is widening in Ohio, Florida and Virginia. He must be writing the speech.

they/them/theirs

[Quote=[-0-];81623488]Virginia won me 2580 tonight as long as Barry stays ahead there. Nate is a bloody witch![/Quote]

That must be some accumulator you did.

they/them/theirs

CNN calls VA for Obama.

Whoo! MJ now legal in Colorado!!!

This. Amazed tbh, fairly decent margin on the prop to legalise weed.

Obama will win the popular vote.

• Advertisement

Official: Romney is still finishing up his concession speech, aides admitting he only prepared an acceptance speech.

So far, Romney has picked up only two states that McCain didn't in 2008, North Carolina and Indiana.

Romney to make his speech in 7 minutes.

Overheal wrote: »
    Official: Romney is still finishing up his concession speech, aides admitting he only prepared an acceptance speech.

How do you spell hubris?

Montana given to Romney. Mmm, I want Bison meat.

Obama projected to win Colorado by Fox and to win Virginia by CBS.

Word is Romney has already called President Obama to concede.

• Advertisement

Phone call made accordin to Obama aide

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

ascanbe wrote: »
    Perhaps so..
    Oh, well.
    Guess the republican social-welfare program, the military-industrial-complex as prophesised by Eishenhower, may take a bit of a hit.
    Hopefully a permanent one.
    Understand that you're partial.

Seriously? Partiality doesn't enter into this, unless you are so partial that you believe that no sane person could ever take a Republican seriously.

How many races have been thrown by Republican gaffes? Look at Brown in Massachussets: He was not under particularly significant threat until he went and started attacking his opposition on a personal level. We have our infamous "Rape pregnancy is God's will" candidate, who went and threw that one pretty effectively. Romney didn't do himself any favours at all with the 47% comment. And so on.

You can then go at a higher level, and look at how Romney, originally seen as a fairly well-thought-of centrist started acting more socially conservative around Primary season, then tried to move back centrist again. Independents aren't stupid, they see this as simple dishonest pandering. Had Romney not felt compelled to please the base (who, I should add, were never convinced anyway) and thus irrevocably distanced himself from the independents, we could be looking at a different race this evening.

Whatever the faults the Democrats have, not shooting themselves in the foot too badly is not one of them. I don't believe the Democrats as much as won the independent vote today as much as the Republicans managed to alienate them.

WOW....I knew he was an ass but well its official...pretty damning for the GOP...as if that has not already happened.

Whatever the faults the Democrats have, not shooting themselves in the foot too badly is not one of them. I don't believe the Democrats as much as won the independent vote today as much as the Republicans managed to alienate them.
    Indeed. For me, and I'm sure the sentiment carries across the country tonight, this was a fight between two candidates who don't have a clear plan to help fix the economy. The President has added trillions to the debt, yet Romney can't clearly explain what should be simple math on how he plans to turn our debt around while lowering taxes and increasing spending. In the end I voted for neither candidate, but I wager plenty other independents sided with Obama on other issues, particularly the health care. Romney promised a day one agenda of dismantling Obamacare, which would have been just a very large headache for many American families. Negative campaigning helped too, oddly, because it was spurred on by PACs more so than ever before, which allowed the candidates to run a negative campaign behind a veil of detachment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Seriously? Partiality doesn't enter into this, unless you are so partial that you believe that no sane person could ever take a Republican seriously.

How many races have been thrown by Republican gaffes? Look at Brown in Massachussets: He was not under particularly significant threat until he went and started attacking his opposition on a personal level. We have our infamous "Rape pregnancy is God's will" candidate, who went and threw that one pretty effectively. Romney didn't do himself any favours at all with the 47% comment. And so on.

You can then go at a higher level, and look at how Romney, originally seen as a fairly well-thought-of centrist started acting more socially conservative around Primary season, then tried to move back centrist again. Independents aren't stupid, they see this as simple dishonest pandering. Had Romney not felt compelled to please the base (who, I should add, were never convinced anyway) and thus irrevocably distanced himself from the independents, we could be looking at a different race this evening.

Can't disagree with anything you wrote there.
    In fact, i think you're spot on in your analysis.
    Just reacted 'cause you seemed partial..
    I really don't care though 'cause i believe that banking interests rule everything and that the puppets that represent them are interchangable.
    Until that changes, nothing changes..
    I know that sounds like conspiracy theory bull**** if looked at superficially.
    But when you think about it, and when you look into it, isn't it obvious?

• Advertisement
Advertisement