Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Exit polls, results, coverage and all things election night.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Brian? wrote: »
    That must be some accumulator you did.

I made a serious bet when Barry was around 3% behind early on. 860 got matched on Betfair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Fox News front page article on how media bias helped Obama win. These people have no shame.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/11/07/five-ways-mainstream-media-tipped-scales-in-favor-obama/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Fox News front page article on how media bias helped Obama win. These people have no shame.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/11/07/five-ways-mainstream-media-tipped-scales-in-favor-obama/

Insane is what they are, they live in a different reality to the rest of us, a big bubble !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

While I'm happy that Romney didn't get elected I don't think this will change much in the long run.

The Republicans still have the majority in the House of Representatives, which means Obamacare might not pass.

But hey, at least Donald Trump's twitter is gold :D

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

[-0-] wrote: »
    I made a serious bet when Barry was around 3% behind early on. 860 got matched on Betfair.

People really are stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I'm pleased as I am now richer to the tune of €400 courtesy of paddypower.

I woke up at around 4am, sleepily glanced at the guardian website on my phone... electoral college almost in the bag.

Job done... back to sleep! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

That's a very special way of viewing the crippling inaction that's typified the US system of late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

That's a very special way of viewing the crippling inaction that's typified the US system of late.
    In fairness, it's not inaction caused by obstruction, it's inaction caused by bi-partisan consensus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Did Amerika back Romney on Paddy Power in the end? I wonder how much he lost...

In fairness, it's not inaction caused by obstruction, it's inaction caused by bi-partisan consensus.

I know donegalfella has a major hard on for libertarianism and that any perceived failings of 'big' government feeds right into that narrative - but I draw the line at anyone playing the "AND THE FOUNDING FATHERS TOTALLY AGREE WITH ME!" card.

As if pretending that dead men agreed with you means anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

As if pretending that dead men agreed with you means anything.
    You have got to be kidding. This makes no sense; in fact I think it might be the most vacuous sentence ever uttered on boards. Could you clarify what you mean in case I'm picking you up wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭vetinari

I don't think he's dissing the founding fathers per se but they lived in a very different time.
    There's no reason why a country wouldn't change over time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

USA has one huge millstone around its neck - its unqualified support for Zionism ( add a tiny "almost" in Obama's case. ) Until it recognises that Palestinians are human beings who have had their land stolen from them, and that the solution to this conflict does not lie in throwing a bone to the dog, USA and the rest of the western world will continue to pay a heavy price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭vetinari

has anyone checked on Amerika?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

MadYaker wrote: »
    Did Amerika back Romney on Paddy Power in the end? I wonder how much he lost...

LOL… I tried, but Paddy Power said they couldn’t accept any bets from the US or credit cards issued from the US.

Congratulations to Obama and the Democrats on their wins.

The Democrats, Blacks, Hispanics, and single women came out to vote in much higher numbers than I expected.

Sadly, I fear our country will reap what we have sown. Not a bright future in my opinion. The country has transformed. The entitlement mentality has taken over. The rich will get poorer and the poor will get poorer. Unemployment will rise, the economy will decline, revenue will decrease, cost of living will skyrocket, and the national debt will increase to unsubstantial levels. Misery will become norm, and we will only have ourselves to blame.

Welcome to the beginning of the United States of Greece.

"Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they do."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Amerika wrote: »
    LOL… I tried, but Paddy Power said they couldn’t accept any bets from the US or credit cards issued from the US.

The Democrats, Blacks, Hispanics, and single women came out to vote in much higher numbers than I expected.

Sadly, I fear our country will reap what we have sown. Not a bright future in my opinion. The country has transformed. The entitlement mentality has taken over. The rich will get poorer and the poor will get poorer. Unemployment will rise, the economy will decline, revenue will decrease, cost of living will skyrocket, and the national debt will increase to unsubstantial levels. Misery will become norm, and we will only have ourselves to blame.

Totally agree with all of that.

I too was surprised that the turnout from the people energized by Obama 2008 returned in equal numbers in 2012, I hope it's a good sign for voter participation in the future

As for the economy, it's doomed, and will be in a far worse place in 2016 than it is today with 4 more years of Obama

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

You realise that unemployment has been on a downward trend for over 2 years, the economy is currently growing and the cost of living is pretty flat?

It's not Armageddon. Things are on the up, they have been for a while.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

Valmont wrote: »
    You have got to be kidding. This makes no sense; in fact I think it might be the most vacuous sentence ever uttered on boards.

Nope, not in the slightest, unless you make a habit of not reading anything and just typing words.
    That or you're just lying because your just so angry.

Valmont wrote: »
    Could you clarify what you mean in case I'm picking you up wrong?

How about you tell me what about that simple sentence confuses and infuriates you, and then we work from there. Because it is very straightforward, so I'm not sure where your confusion stems from.

You realise that unemployment has been on a downward trend for over 2 years, the economy is currently growing and the cost of living is pretty flat?

Really? It sure doesn’t feel that way to the average American. But today is your day to rejoice, brag and bask in the win. You deserve it. Enjoy it while it lasts. I fear your happiness will be fleeting. Just wait till you see what is coming down the road. I'm guessing "WTF" will become the new national catch phrase.

Sadly, elections have consequences. My company can no longer absorb the climate, increasing regulations, losses and situations that have engulfed us. We were hoping for a Romney win, and a more small-business friendly future and lower taxes. Starting immediately, I now have to look at reducing staff, converting some full time positions into part time, and eliminating health care for the employees as we just received a 44% increase in premiums do to ObamaCare. Those are the realities of this administration’s actions and the results this election which will force many a small business into. I know people claimed things like this wouldn't happen, but unfortunately reality alsways trumps hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

As for the economy, it's doomed, and will be in a far worse place in 2016 than it is today with 4 more years of Obama

The economy is recovering. It's grand. Remember Republican presidential fruitcakes created the mess. Barry is cleaning it up. Don't forget that.

Really? It sure doesn’t feel that way to the average American. But today is your day to rejoice, brag and bask in the win. You deserve it. Enjoy it while it lasts. I fear your happiness will be fleeting. Just wait till you see what is coming down the road. I'm guessing "WTF" will become the new national catch phrase.

Sadly, elections have consequences. My company can no longer absorb the climate, increasing regulations, losses and situations that have engulfed us. We were hoping for a Romney win, and a more small-business friendly future and lower taxes. Starting immediately, I now have to look at reducing staff, converting some full time positions into part time, and eliminating health care for the employees as we just received a 44% increase in premiums do to ObamaCare. Those are the realities of this administration’s actions and the results this election which will force many a small business into. I know people claimed things like this wouldn't happen, but unfortunately reality alsways trumps hope.

What has changed today exactly? Your business is operating in the same environment it was yesterday, last week and last year. Maybe stop and wait to see what Obama actually does before shooting him down.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

I am pretty much an average American and it does feel that way. While I agree with the premiss of Obamacare, I do worry about what it will mean for small businesses, one can blame Obama but for me the real blame is with the insurance companies, an absolute disgrace of an industry.

I really hope the GOPs lust for power will now take a back seat and they will try actually help the president rather than try and throw him off track. The people have spoken and they want Obama to lead this country with his vision and to his credit he is willing to work with all the people that set out to destroy him.
    He is quite the man in my opinion, after all he had to endure, he stood strong and really kept his composure, never has any president been so disrespected from some aspects of the media and population.
    The GOP must realise that they cannot rely on the white vote anymore and that there is a lot more to this country which they must try and connect with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Mjollnir

Frankly, I don't trust you enough to actually, honestly know what the average American feels.

I simply don't believe you, and don't see any rational basis to start doing so.

• Advertisement

What has changed today exactly? Your business is operating in the same environment it was yesterday, last week and last year. Maybe stop and wait to see what Obama actually does before shooting him down.

I really wish we could. But you have to apply a tourniquet to stop the bleeding at some point. I realize the country has spoken, I just don’t think they realize the consequences small businesses must take knowing what they have endured over the last few years will continue in earnest. We will do what is necessary to survive, and my heart breaks for what our employees will go through. I know we will lose some good people, and only hope there are jobs out there locally that they can obtain quickly.

I really wish we could. But you have to apply a tourniquet to stop the bleeding at some point. I realize the country has spoken, I just don’t think they realize the consequences small businesses must take knowing what they have endured over the last few years will continue in earnest. We will do what is necessary to survive, and my heart breaks for what our employees will go through. I know we will lose some good people, and only hope there are jobs out there locally that they can obtain quickly.

So if Mitt Romney had won you wouldn't be firing people? I fear for the long term health of your business too if this is how you make decisions.

they/them/theirs

So if Mitt Romney had won you wouldn't be firing people? I fear for the long term health of your business too if this is how you make decisions.

Some cuts would still have to be made regardless. A 44% increase in health care costs is unmanageable. A repeal of ObamaCare would have helped. Fewer regulations would have helped. Lower energy costs would have helped. Lower taxes would have helped. We just don’t see any of that happening in the near future now.

You are entitled to your opinion. Over 50% of the companies in our industry have gone out of business in the last couple of years. We are considered one of the remaining strongest. We will continue to be proactive rather than reactive. We have survived because of how we make decisions, and will continue to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

I'm just glad the election is over so I don't have to see any more Linda McMahon ads here in CT. 2 elections and $91million later, I hope she gets the message.

I watched a bit of Fox News last night just when they declared that Obama won Ohio, it was like somebody died in there. Karl Rove was talking some gibberish about some counties not being counted yet and was telling them the projection was wrong. Almost made me feel sorry for them. Almost but not quite. Gotta love guys like him and Dick Morris who predicted that Romney would get 330 electoral votes.

As for the economy, it is usually a cyclical thing and it is turning around. So the economy will be in full swing by 2016 thus ensuring Hilary/Biden/Cuomo/O’Malley a handy win.

Some trivia:
    - Republicans have now lost 5 of the last 6 Presidential on total vote count. Only win since 1988 was Bush in 2004.
    - Republicans have not a Presidential election in 84 years without a Nixon or Bush on the ticket. Time for them to call up Jeb Bush....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

FatherTed wrote: »
    I

I watched a bit of Fox News last night just when they declared that Obama won Ohio, it was like somebody died in there. Karl Rove was talking some gibberish about some counties not being counted yet and was telling them the projection was wrong. Almost made me feel sorry for them. Almost but not quite. Gotta love guys like him and Dick Morris who predicted that Romney would get 330 electoral votes.

They have had their day with the Bush clan, and everybody has a sell by date, including the likes of, the not so clever now Rove. Fox news would frighten any normal person.

• Advertisement

If you were banking, literally, on Romney to win and get your business out of its problems, then it does not say much re a good business plan. He might not even have delivered what he promised, whilst you are with the now, with Obama and know the plan and adapt if possible. Sorry if this sounds harsh, but to rely on the election of a Politician as a basis for the survival of your business, appears extremely naive to me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

[-0-] wrote: »
    The economy is recovering. It's grand. Remember Republican presidential fruitcakes created the mess. Barry is cleaning it up. Don't forget that.

Time will tell but I am not confident, who is Barry by the way ?

Thats just natural as business gets more confidence and access to markets improves, I would argue not much of that is down to Obama as that was only going to improve over time as business and consumer confidence grows, regardless of the president or party. The problem is government debt and Obama will not deal with this and instead is spending it like its going out of fashion.

Whatever increases in the next 4 years will be wiped out when this mountain of debt eventually needs to be paid off which will be soon. The Chinese in particular and Asian countries are already reducing their holdings of American debt. While neither candidate is ideal the fawning over Obama by the European media and punters is absolutely embarrassing.

I don't think we will see a debt deal reached because the Republicans won't play ball and then we will see how the 2016 election goes.

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    If you were banking, literally, on Romney to win and get your business out of its problems, then it does not say much re a good business plan. He might not even have delivered what he promised, whilst you are with the now, with Obama and know the plan and adapt if possible. Sorry if this sounds harsh, but to rely on the election of a Politician as a basis for the survival of your business, appears extremely naive to me?

No it’s not harsh. One thing you’ve got to realize is that many a small business is under the control of the owner, family, or majority stockholder. If the owner(s) is/are willing to keep investing their own money into the business during the tough times, in hopes of a general improved business climate coming over time, that’s one thing. But at some point if they don’t see favorable factors down the line, they just say enough is enough… we can’t keep bleeding, and we need to make drastic changes now. You might think this unreasonable, but it is what it is. "Small Business Owners" are not just a term we type about on message boards. They are individuals who invest their lives into the business, and expect a decent return. They're not in business to spread the wealth around. I fear stories like this will keep repeating itself over the next year. And small business owners, with their sometimes unreasonable thinking, provide most of the jobs in this country. Did you think their cries over the last year about what will happen if Obama wins was just rhetoric?

Also, did you notice that today Stocks skid 2%; the Dow dives 300, and the S&P falls below 1400. The business world is very worried over the Obama and Democrat wins. It's not just smoke and mirrors, it's fact. The election of Obama for a second term may just have screwed the pooch on any possible economic turnaround.

Also, did you notice that today Stocks skid 2%; the Dow dives 300, and the S&P falls below 1400. The business world is very worried over the Obama and Democrat wins.

That's some top notch spin there. The drop has nothing to do with Obama being re elected. The head of the ECB announced a projected .4% contraction in the eurozone economy next year.

There's more to the world than the US.

they/them/theirs

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

On some other matters, Pete Stark, a Bay Area US Representative since 1973 was finally removed from office, by another Democrat. (California's new voting system is closer to a transferrable vote, so it's possible to have a choice of two people from the same party in the general election).

It's looking like the only Governor's mansion to change hands will be North Carolina, but there are still some races not yet called.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

No it’s not harsh. One thing you’ve got to realize is that many a small business is under the control of the owner, family, or majority stockholder. If the owner(s) is/are willing to keep investing their own money into the business during the tough times, in hopes of a general improved business climate coming over time, that’s one thing. But at some point if they don’t see favorable factors down the line, they just say enough is enough… we can’t keep bleeding, and we need to make drastic changes now. You might think this unreasonable, but it is what it is. "Small Business Owners" are not just a term we type about on message boards. They are individuals who invest their lives into the business, and expect a decent return. They're not in business to spread the wealth around. I fear stories like this will keep repeating itself over the next year. And small business owners, with their sometimes unreasonable thinking, provide most of the jobs in this country. Did you think their cries over the last year about what will happen if Obama wins was just rhetoric?

Also, did you notice that today Stocks skid 2%; the Dow dives 300, and the S&P falls below 1400. The business world is very worried over the Obama and Democrat wins. It's not just smoke and mirrors, it's fact. The election of Obama for a second term may just have screwed the pooch on any possible economic turnaround.

Down is down 300 today but is up 50% since Obama took office so yeah it's looking bad

That's some top notch spin there. The drop has nothing to do with Obama being re elected. The head of the ECB announced a projected .4% contraction in the eurozone economy next year.

There's more to the world than the US.

Most of it is due to the presidential election, concern on whether the debt deal can be done.

Yet again you demonstrate that you simply have no idea what you're talking about.

Since January 20, 2009, the Dow Jones Industrial Average is up 70 percent, the Standard & Poor’s 500 index is up 81 percent, and the NASDAQ composite index (heavy with tech stocks) is up 119 percent.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/21/your-money/wall-st-may-not-cheer-but-obamas-been-good-for-stocks.html?BU-D-E-AD-OB-TXT-BUS-ROS-0512-NA&_r=0

What you are claiming is itself smoke and mirrors, and utterly discordant with objective reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

FatherTed wrote: »
    I'm just glad the election is over so I don't have to see any more Linda McMahon ads here in CT. 2 elections and $91million later, I hope she gets the message.

As for the economy, it is usually a cyclical thing and it is turning around. So the economy will be in full swing by 2016 thus ensuring Hilary/Biden/Cuomo/O’Malley a handy win.

Some trivia:
    - Republicans have now lost 5 of the last 6 Presidential on total vote count. Only win since 1988 was Bush in 2004.
    - Republicans have not a Presidential election in 84 years without a Nixon or Bush on the ticket. Time for them to call up Jeb Bush....

The economy is picking up and the GOP hoped they could swoop in and take credit for what Obama has done. Economists are saying that no matter who got elected, jobs will be created. It would be cheeky in fairness for Romney to lie to voters, enter the White House and take all the credit.

Have any Republicans spoken out against the Tea Party element?

• Advertisement

Hey, has anyone heard a peep out of Dick "ROMNEY BY A LANDSLIDE" Morris this morning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,197 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Mjollnir wrote: »
    Yet again you demonstrate that you simply have no idea what you're talking about.

Since January 20, 2009, the Dow Jones Industrial Average is up 70 percent, the Standard & Poor’s 500 index is up 81 percent, and the NASDAQ composite index (heavy with tech stocks) is up 119 percent.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/21/your-money/wall-st-may-not-cheer-but-obamas-been-good-for-stocks.html?BU-D-E-AD-OB-TXT-BUS-ROS-0512-NA&_r=0

What you are claiming is itself smoke and mirrors, and utterly discordant with objective reality.
    I don't place stock in inauguration day arguments. 'when Obama took office gas was 1.89!!' being the most loathsome and deceptive.

however if you look at the data, yes, the NASDAQ is higher than any time in the last 10 years under Obama, the DOW is slightly lower but on the same territory, and S&P is again not where it was, but still on a steady upward trend.

America, if you ignore the intraday drama, the economy has actually been growing ever since the crash

I would say that some in the stock market were a bit disappointed over the result, yes, but it will be short lived. Some had clearly factored in a Romney win and some adjustment then occurs in the markets based on the expectation, that failed to materialize.

Most of it is due to the presidential election, concern on whether the debt deal can be done.

No it's not. Most stocks were up in after hours trading, post Obama being declared the winner but pre ECB announcement.

I don't think the market actually gives a flying **** whether a deal can be done on raising the debt ceiling. It does however care that there will be fewer people in Europe buying the stuff companies make.

they/them/theirs

Someone earlier asked what my beef was with the EPA.

Have a read on the EPA plans for 2013. Anyone think Obama won’t embrace every one of them in his second term? The report is from Senator James Inhofe, Ranking Member of the Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works, and is titled "A Look Ahead to EPA Regulations for 2013: Numerous Obama EPA Rules Placed On Hold until after the Election Spell Doom for Jobs and Economic Growth."
    http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Files.View&FileStore_id=b4e25337-d765-46cf-9e27-b9ca21ddf148

We finally have light at the end of the tunnel here with revenue and jobs from the advent of hydraulic fracking into our vast reserves of shale oil. I now think Pennyslvania (where I live) is the most ignorant state in the union for going with Obama and Casey Jr. It just goes to prove you can't fix stupid. :mad:

How do you think the business world will respond to the destruction of millions of American jobs, and have energy prices skyrocketing? Welcome to the Obama second term... again, we reap what we sew!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,197 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I think people didn't want their sinks catching fire...

Overheal wrote: »
    I think people didn't want their sinks catching fire...
    And I think that’s the kind of simplistic, naïve and ignorant thinking that got Obama elected to a second term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

And I think that’s the kind of simplistic, naïve and ignorant thinking that got Obama elected to a second term.

Because simplistically believing unrestrained unregulated fracking will solve all of the US's energy issues isn't naive? :confused:

And I think that’s the kind of simplistic, naïve and ignorant thinking that considered Romney was a viable choice and "B) Romney wins... Growth and Prosperity all around for the US.", to quote you directly.

• Advertisement

MadsL wrote: »
    Because simplistically believing unrestrained unregulated fracking will solve all of the US's energy issues isn't naive? :confused:

Please be so kind as to point me to where I advocated for "unrestrained unregulated fracking." The state of Pennsylvania on their own merit has done a pretty good job, based on numerous studies, of controlling the utilization of hydraulic fracking.

Advertisement