Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

East Limerick Stuff

Options
  • 07-11-2012 1:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭

This forum seems to be very city-focused. Maybe people could use this thread to discuss significant events in the east of the county. I'll start with these:

New Library for Cappamore. A total budget of almost €1million has been granted for a new library in the village. The old boys school has been bought off of the church and a new, bigger and more modern library is set to be built on the site. The development will also include four artists studios.
    http://www.limerickleader.ie/community/funding-of-1m-in-new-limerick-library-1-4444617

New Secondary school for Doon. Work has finally started on a new school in Doon. This must be 20 years in the planning but apparently work has definitely begun on site. The 2 schools in Doon and the school in Cappamore will be amalgamating to the 800 capacity school.
    http://www.stn.ie/news.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

Good news about the school in Doon. I am a past pupil of the convent in Doon and hope to send my DD there when the time comes. At long last ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

Also good to hear about the library in Cappamore. There's been a sign at the end of the street pointing to a "Library" for years - now at last we're going to get one :D I'll be sorry to see the mobile library going though, you could almost set your watch by it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

There already is a library in Cappamore. Granted it is small and I don't know if it's open very often but it is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

pigtown wrote: »
    There already is a library in Cappamore. Granted it is small and I don't know if it's open very often but it is there.

It's really well hidden then!

I remember I went looking for it years ago and as there was no obvious place for a library I gave up and went home. Just hope that they make the signs on the new place more obvious for eejits like moi :D

Builders on site at the library. I have to say I'm impressed at how fast everything is moving, it's only a few weeks since the project was announced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

pigtown wrote: »
    This forum seems to be very city-focused. Maybe people could use this thread to discuss significant events in the east of the county. I'll start with these:

New Library for Cappamore. A total budget of almost €1million has been granted for a new library in the village. The old boys school has been bought off of the church and a new, bigger and more modern library is set to be built on the site. The development will also include four artists studios.
    http://www.limerickleader.ie/community/funding-of-1m-in-new-limerick-library-1-4444617

A sheer and absolute waste of scarce resources, and, whoever is responsible should have their arse kicked up around their ears.
    Stop wasting our money on vanity projects.

I've never heard a library described as a waste of money. Why do you say that?

Some more stuff from this weeks Leader & Post;

New playground approved for Bruff. No details on where it would be located.

Extension approved for Caherconlish Community Centre. It didn't say what this would include though, does anyone have more info?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

theres a new butcher in Ballyneety, in the shop where the last butcher is, I hope he does well, dont know anything about him but its good to see a new business starting up in the village. PS - altho I live in Limerick IM a blow in, so if Ballyneety is not in East Limerick - sorry!

Construction updates will be posted on the new Doon school website; http://www.stn.ie/Pictures.html Not alot to see yet but it will be interesting as the build progresses.

I'm curious as to what will become of the existing buildings. I know the VEC will keep the school in Cappamore open as an adult education centre. Rumour has it that both primary schools in Doon will amalgamate and relocate to the current CBS. If this is true then there will be two empty primary school buildings and the vacated Convent school building in the village. That is a lot of vacant space.

• Advertisement

New Library looks close to completion. It's a really impressive job and cleans up that end of the village. Unfortunately they seem to have gone a bit overboard on the outside space. Huge bulky gates to keep people out of the carpark at night, a dozen or so bollards with lights on them, 3 big flag poles at the corner of the site (it's a small village, what do they want 3 flags for?) and the piece de resistance, a big barrier right on the corner of the site, presumably to stop people walking through the flowerbed and onto the road.

After the secondary school closed in Cappamore, the VEC relaunched it as East Limerick Centre for Further Education and Training. It currently has close to 200 hundred students enrolled in both day and night classes. An impressive number for its first year of operation.

The secondary convent school buildings have gone on sale. The school should relocate to the new building in February, leaving both this building and the secondary boys school empty. It's really hard to see what possible new uses these buildings could have.

The new school in Doon has opened. They have a very good website and Facebook ( https://www.facebook.com/scoilnatrionoidenaofadoon?fref=ts )page with lots of photos of the construction and finished product. They plan to have an open day sometime in April for members of the public to have a look around.
    Following on from this it has been announced that both primary schools in Doon will merge and be based in the old boys secondary building.

The new library in Cappamore should open next month. The building seems to be finished and they have begun to set up the new books. Currently they are removing the ditch across the road in order to install a footpath and safe pedestrian crossing. Rumour has it that a county council office will be located in the complex too.

The Library and Artists studios have opened. http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/cappamore-leads-way-as-library-services-go-hi-tech-265250.html It is the first public library in the county to be fully automated. As part of the works, the ditch opposite the site was cleared and a new footpath and pedestrian crossing were installed. The local development committee took the opportunity to clear away some ditch and plan to create a garden for the Day-Care centre, behind the fire-station.

More good news for the village, €30,000 will be spent on new footpaths and traffic calming measures in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

I think there should be separate city and county forums. The two places share the same name, but they are very different places.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

zulutango wrote: »
    I think there should be separate city and county forums. The two places share the same name, but they are very different places.

There used to be two separate forums County and city but they were merged about 18/24 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Agent_99 wrote: »
    There used to be two separate forums County and city but they were merged about 18/24 months ago.

Not good enough! We've got City and County editions of de Layder, as well as "L" and "LK" vehicle registration plates. We demand separate City and County fora like, dammit! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

jimgoose wrote: »
    Not good enough! We've got City and County editions of de Layder, as well as "L" and "LK" vehicle registration plates. We demand separate City and County fora like, dammit! :D

Sorry but they are also merging the L and LK registrations as well. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Agent_99 wrote: »
    Sorry but they are also merging the L and LK registrations as well. :o

Right, now I'm pissed off!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

The county message board was very quiet so its better to have them merged in my opinion.

A Hospital native myself but have been living in the city for the past few years.

As for the L and LK merger, which one will be the one in use once they have merged?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's already in since Jan 1st. Anything first registered in 2014 in either Limerick city or county gets a L reg plate. They did the same in Tipperary, TN and TS are now gone and replaced with T. Anything older than 2014 will still get a LK or L reg depending on where your address is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Us culchies aren't the same as the townies!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

bazz26 wrote: »
    It's already in since Jan 1st. Anything first registered in 2014 in either Limerick city or county gets a L reg plate. They did the same in Tipperary, TN and TS are now gone and replaced with T. Anything older than 2014 will still get a LK or L reg depending on where your address is.

Same probably doesnt apply to imports?

Advertisement