Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damaged Interdental Papilla

Options
  • 07-11-2012 1:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Last week I noticed a bit of my gum was missing in the centre of my bottom teeth. I have since found out this is called the Indental Papilla from Google. I can just say a pink hole there now which I presume is the gum to the rear which must still be in tact.

I'm fairly certain I don't have gum disease as I brush my teeth regularly and the rest of my gums are fine and was only at the dentist recently too. I'm pretty sure I damaged it from brushing too hard as a few of my front bottom gums would bleed the odd time, only the bottom ones as I tended to be rougher here.

This was a bit tender for the first few days but have changed toothbrush and being more careful with my bottom gums the rest seem fine now. I see aswell gum can't regrow. The annoyance I have now is if I swallow or suck I can feel air passing through this small triangle. It is not that big and can only notice when looking close at the mouth.

My question is any solution to this? Can the small gap be filled in any way? I'm concerned food will get trapped easier in here and the gum below could get damaged more easily and lead to problems down the line.

I will go to the dentist when I can but any suggestions if any treatment / solutions are possible would be great.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Dianthus

Daily flossing (& dentist visit to assess gums, professional cleaning to remove any tartar, ect)
    Plaque disclosing tablets also.
    If you are a smoker- quit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭henke

Dianthus wrote: »
    Daily flossing (& dentist visit to assess gums, professional cleaning to remove any tartar, ect)
    Plaque disclosing tablets also.
    If you are a smoker- quit.

Thanks.

Anyone know is there a solution to have that gap closed or is it ok to have it there providing I look after my gums?

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Dianthus

Unless it's of major cosmetic concern, it's generally more hygienic to leave as is, restoration-free.
    However, the gap arose for a reason, you need to speak with your dentist re what caused it, how to prevent it becoming bigger, and also how to prevent it happening to other teeth.
    An optimal day to day cleaning regime& regular dental visits are key.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭henke

Dianthus wrote: »
    Unless it's of major cosmetic concern, it's generally more hygienic to leave as is, restoration-free.
    However, the gap arose for a reason, you need to speak with your dentist re what caused it, how to prevent it becoming bigger, and also how to prevent it happening to other teeth.
    An optimal day to day cleaning regime& regular dental visits are key.
    Thanks for the responses it helps a great deal. I'm fairly certain I damaged it from brushing the area far too hard but will visit the dentist soon to ensure it is nothing more alarming and will maintain good oral hygiene of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Encorus

henke wrote: »
    I'm fairly certain I don't have gum disease as I brush my teeth regularly and the rest of my gums are fine and was only at the dentist recently too. I'm pretty sure I damaged it from brushing too hard as a few of my front bottom gums would bleed the odd time, only the bottom ones as I tended to be rougher here.
    I had two dentists look at an x-ray of my teeth that clearly showed a gum disease (periodontitis) and bone structure loss and they both told me everything is okay. Go to a gum expert (a periodontist) and have him assess the situation. Don't assume anything.

• Advertisement
Advertisement