Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SKY News in banks. RTE now have 24 hour news.

• 07-11-2012 2:58am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Why do banks and such places play SKY news ?

It's a foreign news channel, and not even the best foreign news channel.

And it's not as if they can't get RTE news now.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Dey tuk our news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

They're all as ****e as each other so I don't really care

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Could be worse. Could be Fox.

WE'LL DO IT LIVE. F*CK. F*CK IT. WHAT THE HELL DOES "to play us out mean"! *throws mic*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭some random drunk

I've seen more places recently adopt RTE News Now to display on their tvs. I'd guess a lot of places show SKY News simply because "That's what we're used to" and "Sure that's what we've always shown".

Could also make the argument that SKY News is a live 24 hour service whereas RTE News Now mostly just shows repeats of the 1, 6.01 or 9 news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

At least you don't have to listen to the boooooooings of the Angelus on Sky.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Could also make the argument that SKY News is a live 24 hour service whereas RTE News Now mostly just shows repeats of the 1, 6.01 or 9 news.
    how many 24 hour banks do you know ? :p

They also have Morning Ireland and the RTE2 news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

lazygal wrote: »
    But you do have to listen to the bongs of Big Ben on ITV!

lazygal wrote: »

I actually like the Angelus, it's old-worldy. Plus it's lead to some good spoofs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭caste_in_exile

Because the gherkin knows all

cute way of detracting from a phallic symbol of the times.. but if true then the true totem of totalitarianism really is in a pickle. The vinegars bound to leave a sour taste too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

France 24 pour la victoire!

• Advertisement

how many 24 hour banks do you know ? :p

They also have Morning Ireland and the RTE2 news

Some of the 24 hour convenience stores show SKY News :p. I was more thinking that the shop/bank manager might think SKY is better as it's always live.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Some of the 24 hour convenience stores show SKY News :p. I was more thinking that the shop/bank manager might think SKY is better as it's always live.
    If it was accurate or relevant then maybe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Sky News show more Donegal news tham RTE so it's more relevant for us.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

A chipper I was in on the weekend had Tom and Jerry cartoons on. I very much enjoyed them to be honest, far better than anything on Sky News too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

CatFromHue wrote: »
    A chipper I was in on the weekend had Tom and Jerry cartoons on. I very much enjoyed them to be honest, far better than anything on Sky News too.
    My first ever time on a ferry as a kid they showed 'The Poseidon Adventure' :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Probably just because Sky is the system most places seem to have installed,and RTE News Now isn't available on it.Only on Saorview or UPC at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

its the same in the mater, bbc news all the way. i dont care about what male prostitute some conservative mp bummed on hampstead heath

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

It's a foreign news channel,.
    And whats wrong with that?

Bit xenophobic are we father?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭caste_in_exile

I think it's a matter of tv services, sky doesn't have rte news so randy and his gherkin keeps em perky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Would much prefer fox news they have some great looking female anchors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

CatFromHue wrote: »

Promoting mindless violence. Tut, tut!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Where To wrote: »
    Sky News show more Donegal news tham RTE so it's more relevant for us.

That's right. I remember back in September when Sky-News had wall to wall coverage of Donegal's All-Ireland win.

RTE didn't even mention it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Probably just because Sky is the system most places seem to have installed,and RTE News Now isn't available on it.Only on Saorview or UPC at the moment.

I was gonna post that I can't see RTE News Now on Sky TV Guide. Why isn't it on Sky? :confused:

Some newsreaders are more interesting than the news! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Why do most pubs have Sky news on?
    I've asked a few barmen why Sky news is always on - usually with the sound turned down. "Customers like it" they insist.
    I very much doubt this - I know I don't, and won't sit in a pub if it's on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

If it's good enough for us to set our clocks to and double check the time after we go back/forward an hour, it's bloody good enough to have in the background in a bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

But you do have to listen to the bongs of Big Ben on ITV!

We're talking Sky News here, change the channel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

SKY NEWS = Finger on the pulse of local (including us) & World affairs, LIVE feeds from all over the globe, with breaking news as it happens and in real time, with massive resources to hand, and reporters ready to be sent anywhere at any time in a flash! In depth news analysis in the Sky studios from morning to late at night.

BBC NEWS 24 = Same as above, but more polished and just better in many ways (Sky can irritate). BBC News = the thinking man's Live News channel + no ad breaks. Massive resources to hand, arguably better news analysis than Sky too . . .

RTE NEWS NOW = Quaint, but not really a 24 hour breaking news channel, more like a news loop made up from the Six One news + the RTE Nine O'Clock bulletin. Live feed from RTE Radio One showing for a lot of the time too, more like a part time TV news channel filling time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Large flat screen television portraying SKY news at McDonalds Ilac ctr.

Junk food along with Junk News. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

If you're ever in the reception area out at RTE HQ in Montrose you'll see Sky News humming away silently on flatscreens.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Most of the places wouldn't have an aerial up so won't be able to get RTÉ News, I can't understand why they don't have BBC News on though, no ads so they don't have to worry about their competitors ads being shown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,741 ✭✭✭✭ted1

they can cancel there subscription and get RTE news now and saorview. that'll save the banks some money and maybe they could stop raping us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Should just show Playboy Chat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

ted1 wrote: »
    they can cancel there subscription and get RTE news now and saorview. that'll save the banks some money and maybe they could stop raping us.

Sky News is free to air

Dempsey wrote: »
    Sky News is free to air

Are there free 'dishes' available somewhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

9959 wrote: »

Yep, right beside the free tvs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

efb wrote: »

There's some amount of rides presenting the news on that channel. C'est la gee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

RT is my main news channel at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I'd watch Sky News if they had a Kay Burley Vs Adam Boulton Celebrity Death Match, and I'd put €50 on a win for Kay Burley because Adam Boulton would be severely hampered after she gouges his eyes out in the first 15 seconds.

grenache wrote: »
    And whats wrong with that?

Bit xenophobic are we father?
    for the first few years when sky started a double digit percentage of their viewers were Irish because it was carried on cable. Years later they had a token Irish news for a short time.

whose xenophobic ?

• Advertisement

Clareman wrote: »
    Most of the places wouldn't have an aerial up so won't be able to get RTÉ News, I can't understand why they don't have BBC News on though, no ads so they don't have to worry about their competitors ads being shown.
    an aerial is a lot smaller than a satellite dish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

RTE have 24 hour news??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

In my college there are a load of TV's all over the halls, with sky news on all bloody day, seriously it has no purpose, the only people who see them are students moving from class to class, a few people have actually commented that they should have the music channels on instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Its to give you something to watch/occupy you whilst you queue, this reduces your perceived queuing time so you dont think you have been waiting long before you get served.

Why Sky? no idea, perhaps its a more popular news channel than RTE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

They don't show RTE news because they never know when they'll be on RTE news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Are there free saorview boxes? The already have the sky dish and box and you want them to save money by buying and installing soarview?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

I noticed a government agency had sky news in their reception area and thought it was a little odd. The vast majority of news is rubbish anyway, particularly Sky News.

Are there free saorview boxes? The already have the sky dish and box and you want them to save money by buying and installing soarview?
    Dempsey wrote: »
    Sky News is free to air

My point was, there is no 'free to air' anymore.

Saorview boxes, UPC, Dishes, all cost money.

Anyway, I couldn't give a flying fukc, I'm very seldom in a bank, and when I'm there I certainly wouldn't be watching the tele unless there was something interesting on such as 'Celebrity Manicures' or 'Marty Morrissey talks to Noam Chomsky'
    I go to the barber's - short back no sides and a shine - to watch TV, and guess what's always on there.....SKY NEWS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

'Marty Morrissey talks to Noam Chomsky'

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

efb wrote: »

I have been glued to France 24 (en Francais) for the last hour or so. Can't take my eyes off this sultry temptress. She is hypnotic. I genuinely want to punch the television when pictures of Syria or some other bullshít appear in her stead.

Also, Benzema is out of the Italy game by the looks of things. But Gourcouff is ok.

• Advertisement
Advertisement