Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disillusioned

Options
  • 07-11-2012 4:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭

Im an electrician, still at home in Ireland. Never particularly liked the job, like it even less now that work is erratic and getting paid can sometimes be awkward.

Id love to try living abroad and working. Considering my trades my only qualification and i don't want to use it unless Im badly stuck, what options have i got?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

How old are you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Zambia wrote: »
    How old are you ?

Im 25.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Im 25.
    You should be able for a year working in oz , NZ or Canada so you can find out

Zambia wrote: »
    You should be able for a year working in oz , NZ or Canada so you can find out

I know of those options, for some reason these countries don't appeal. Im hoping to get some ideas I hadn't thought of.

I know Im being horrid fussy, I appreciate your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

but what countries do you like?

how about norway? they search for any kind of handymen. it's an expensive country but you get paid well for sure.

• Advertisement

tara73 wrote: »
    but what countries do you like?

how about norway? they search for any kind of handymen. it's an expensive country but you get paid well for sure.

Scandinavia definitely. What areas would they be seeking handymen, Im guessing fishing/forestry/mining?

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

Could do some retraining if you are not keen on the work. Something like controls/automation would make you very desirable abroad and get you out of the area you are in...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

Scandinavia definitely. What areas would they be seeking handymen, Im guessing fishing/forestry/mining?

not really, they are looking for painters, carpenters etc and also electricians. don't know but must be a bit of a building boom there now...:)

I attached you a link, sorry it is in german, but it's from the german employment center and not translatable in english. but you see, the fith or so job, they search for an electrician.
    I'm sure you can write them in english, they all speak it.
    or pm me if you need any assistance.

http://jobboerse.arbeitsagentur.de/vamJB/stellenangeboteFinden.html?d_6827794_p=1&execution=e1s2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭Tefral

If I were in your shoes id do a diploma in construction Economics and get yourself a job as an Electrical Quantity Surveyor. There is still work for them all over the place.

Ideally you would get a degree, but your experience as an electrican would count massively. M&E Quantity Surveyors are very thin on the ground..

Advertisement