Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Races for Triathlone

Options
  • 07-11-2012 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭

For 2013 we are organising 2 further events: 1) a 10km Running Race on St. Patrick's Day, and 2) A Long and Middle Distance Triathlon on the August Bank Holiday Weekend. :confused::confused::confused::confused:

I see they are calling it The Shadowman :D

Getting awful busy in the middle distance circles

Thats Meath, Humbert, Kenmare, Athy, Groomsport and Galway (perhaps)

And now three Full distance in Hardman, Shadowman and Ireman

Ironman TM have a lot to answer for with all these dodgy names for long distance triathlon

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

catweazle wrote: »
    For 2013 we are organising 2 further events: 1) a 10km Running Race on St. Patrick's Day, and 2) A Long and Middle Distance Triathlon on the August Bank Holiday Weekend. :confused::confused::confused::confused:

I see they are calling it The Shadowman :D

Getting awful busy in the middle distance circles

Thats Meath, Humbert, Kenmare, Athy, Groomsport and Galway (perhaps)

And now three Full distance in Hardman, Shadowman and Ireman

Ironman TM have a lot to answer for with all these dodgy names for long distance triathlon

Was looking at them there yesterday. Wonder what they're going to do with the run, you'd get dizzy if you were doing a 42k around athlone town. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Was looking at them there yesterday. Wonder what they're going to do with the run, you'd get dizzy if you were doing a 42k around athlone town. :)

The races are based out of Coosan point which is not in the town, but on the shores of Lough Ree. Lovely place for a swim actually. Run will probably take in back-roads and forest in the area and keeping away from the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Coosan is a lovely spot alright. I remember racing there when I was rowing. Cracking spot for sure. A bit exposed though so it could be quite rough out there if it's windy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

No wonder they are looking for a Project Manager to head up the developments. Big undertaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

No wonder they are looking for a Project Manager to head up the developments. Big undertaking.

I'll go back to whats I've said over and over again - where is the demand?

IMHO Triathlon peaked a few years and is on the way down in terms of popularity. One of these years the race calendar is going to take a hammering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

tunney wrote: »

IMHO Triathlon peaked a few years and is on the way down in terms of popularity. One of these years the race calendar is going to take a hammering.
    Just witnessing the number of people asking about it or just out swimming cycling and running would indicate otherwise. I disagree!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭PGF

Why do you think it's on the way down?

I wonder where the demand is for IM distance. Hardman doesn't seem to be pulling in many participants.

PGF wrote: »

I wonder where the demand is for IM distance. Hardman doesn't seem to be pulling in many participants.

Its a fad sport, their popularity tends to be cyclical. This is the first time that triathlon has been big in Ireland. Early 80s too.

Anyways I'm falling back into my old habits so best stop!

In general I'd disagree based on my own observations. Yes the profile of triathlon is changing but there is still huge numbers taking up the sport each year as it becomes more of a 'box to be ticked' sport.

What most people don't realise is while ticking the box the sport is highly addictive and they are going to be sucked in to go again & again.

When I say 'profile changing', I think the dominance of the alpha personality is not there as much / anymore and the sport as a whole is more attractive to new comers willing to give it a try. So I'd say cyclical in nature.

Having said that how much has the absence of the Galway 70.3 from the IM calendar influenced the decision by Triathlone (neatly back on topic) to go for a full distance race? Its obviously a serious commercial operation now, far removed from club organised races and probably has a lot to do with the annointment of title as a sporting town of Europe.

Sorry Tunney we crossed posts there, but at least we agreed on 'cyclical' :)

• Advertisement

PGF wrote: »

I don't think they're aiming for big numbers are they? I quite ilke the idea of hardman and being of the few on the road, battling away with yourself and the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

It may well be an attempt at hoovering up some of the 70.3 heads but it will be hard pressed to compete against the other middle distance races in particular Kenmare, Meath and Humbert which have had consistently great reviews. Galway from what I see on their Facebook page haven't given up but with an announcement from Ironman of dropping the race it doesn't look good for their long term future. I still think they could do an unbranded race for a third of the price and pull in a decent crowd. For example only 2 mugs (sorry Amphkingwest) did the race from our club this year, that's pretty pathetic, I would have no problem entering even if the roads are not closed but not at the rip off prices that Ironman charge. From all reports the lads ran a very good show both years.

Hardman could be a success if someone like Challenge or Ironman (less so) came behind it. Killarney would hardly be matched as a venue that is used to hosting big events and their is a gap now that they have lost the Irish Open. Weather is much more reliable in that part of the world and they would be able to have a lake swim with a run in the national park.

However getting the road closures for the Ring of Kerry would be tough and I don't know what the condition of that road is like

Bit early for winding up the smack talk isn't it? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 49 d.runs

Think it's a great idea having an IM race in the middle of the country, less travel and associated costs. Not sure about a half IM given how good the others are (espically Humbert).

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭searay

pgibbo wrote: »
    Coosan is a lovely spot alright. I remember racing there when I was rowing. Cracking spot for sure. A bit exposed though so it could be quite rough out there if it's windy.

Coosan Point is where Athlone tri club members swim and it's a narrow inlet to the inner lakes from Lough Ree. The club also hosts its aquathons there. I've swam there many times and it's never too rough too swim. There's alsol no river current issues which impact on the main Triathlone. I wouldn't have any worries about the swim not going ahead.

A big challenge will be that there's only one road in to the point for the last 2km to where the swim takes place so handling local traffic along with bikes and runners could be awkward.

I haven't seen the run and bike courses but there's no mountains in the midlands which has to be a positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭speedyj

Hardman could be a success if someone like Challenge or Ironman (less so) came behind it.

I suspect that could be part of the thinking behind these new races. Athlone can cope with the accommodation requirements and arguably has one advantage over say Killarney in that it's closer to Dublin airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

speedyj wrote: »
    I suspect that could be part of the thinking behind these new races. Athlone can cope with the accommodation requirements and arguably has one advantage over say Killarney in that it's closer to Dublin airport.

Certainly Challenge Henley must be in trouble with just 305 entrants for the full distance last year. The Outlaw and 2 Ironman races in close proximity must be screwing them. I think Ironman have enough in two already in Britain.

I certainly think a Challenge Event held in Ireland would get more than that, although would the Tourist be attracted to a more iconic Irish location than Athlone?

* No offense to anyone from Athlone meant

Certainly Challenge Henley must be in trouble with just 305 entrants for the full distance last year. The Outlaw and 2 Ironman races in close proximity must be screwing them. I think Ironman have enough in two already in Britain.

I certainly think a Challenge Event held in Ireland would get more than that, although would the Tourist be attracted to a more iconic Irish location than Athlone?

* No offense to anyone from Athlone meant

Think everyone was thinking the same about Athlone.

Again don't see the demand for a IM distance race where (a) the roads are sh1te (b) the weather is sh1te and (c) the support is sh1te

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭speedyj

Would agree you'd need decent enough roads for people not to comment (too much).

Athlone is interesting enough to be nice for the race build up. Seeing as Ireland is small, people can drive wherever they like afterwards. That's how I'd be pitching it anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Killarney / Hardman has the advantage of having fantastic locations for each event. The road surfaces improved on the ROK between 2011 and 2012. It's also run by 2-3 individuals who seem to be in it as much for the sport as the money, and lets be honest, I doubt much if any money has been made over the last two years. Killarney has lots of cheap accommodation and is easy enough to get to.

Athlone on the other hand is a sh!thole :D Seriously though, 180kms of flat laps in Westmeath doesn't float my boat I have to say, although it is close to everywhere being in the middle of the island. I don't know what the approach of Triathlone is to making money but I've done Triathlone once and lets just say I'd never do it again.

Then again there's always Ireman 226......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

These guys actually had a stand at the marathon expo where they were talking about this race. I wasn't talking to them myself, but apparently the bike route will be around Lough Ree. Probably two laps for the full distance race, but I don't know for sure. But I do know the roads, and for the most part the surface is very good (comparatively :rolleyes:), but these roads are quite busy (N55 N63 N61) and certainly the section between Athlone and Ballymahon has no hard shoulder most of way and can be very heavy. Ballymahon itself can be avoided (although I don't know that road), but Lanesboro can be very busy, and the roads in the town itself are in sh1te. Coming back into Athlone cyclists will have to use the N6 by-pass which is also very busy, and seems to have road-works all year round.

So in Summary, road surfaces should be fairly good, but roads very busy, particularly on August bank holiday weekend. Very interested to see the final actual route though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 jungle jim

anyone signed up for this yet? a lot of details seem to be TBC at the moment. was thinking of signing up but would be fearful that only a handful will be racing or that it is pulled completely. anyone any more info,numbers entered etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mr Tango

Was half thinking of doing this as a second A race.

Was on the website today and it looks like they are spreading it over three days, i.e. register Saturday, race Sunday and prize giving (if you are lucky/good enough) on Monday.

For the half distance this is a bit overkill?

Anyone actually cycled the route and can give an opinion on road quality?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Mr Tango wrote: »

Anyone actually cycled the route and can give an opinion on road quality?

I haven't cycled that route but have done it a good few times on a motorbike, don't think I'd like to do it on my bicycle. Its a very very busy road. The Athlone / Ballymahon road is the main route you take if you are going from southern ireland to nothern ireland if you are not based in the east of the country.
    As for the triathlone - from what i see its getting more and more popular every year.

BTW - I'm from Athlone and have never heard of this new Long / Middle Distance event!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I haven't cycled that route but have done it a good few times on a motorbike, don't think I'd like to do it on my bicycle. Its a very very busy road. The Athlone / Ballymahon road is the main route you take if you are going from southern ireland to nothern ireland if you are not based in the east of the country.
    As for the triathlone - from what i see its getting more and more popular every year.

BTW - I'm from Athlone and have never heard of this new Long / Middle Distance event!

I've driven Athlone to Ballymahon 100's of times and the surface isn't bad but i'd class it as a dangerous road for driving as said above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Was thinking of the Middle distance as it is 6 weeks before my A race - Challenge Almere. But surprisingly the entry limit has been reached already.
    Anyone know entry numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭searay

There's a map of the cycle route on the site www.shadow-man.com . Almost all of the route is on N class roads. I'd agree that the Athlone to Ballymahon road is twisty and busy but as the swim starts at 5:30 on a bank holiday weekend and it's the first stretch of the route, traffic shouldn't be an issue.

The Ballymahon to Roscommon stretch doesn't have hard shoulders but doesn't get a lot of traffic and the surface is fine. Two rondabouts to negotiate coming into Roscommon.

The Roscommon to Athlone stretch has hard shoulders and is in good condition. Gets hilly from the half way between Roscommon and Athlone when you'll be feeling the cycle.

I've only driven the galway half course but I'd say the Shadowman surfaces are much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mr Tango

Abhainn wrote: »
    Was thinking of the Middle distance as it is 6 weeks before my A race - Challenge Almere. But surprisingly the entry limit has been reached already.

That's that idea shelved then. Looks like it might be head back up home and go for a swim in the Lagan - looks like a nice triathlon round Belfast with the run through the city centre. Not sure what is worse though, swimming in the Liffey or the Lagan - close call I would say!

Abhainn wrote: »

Ah really? Entry numbers must be low enough so. I was thinking of doing this and not deciding till much closer to the time.

Ah well.

edit: Joe is old age getting to you? I just went through an entry there and it got me to checkout. Were you rejected at checkout? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Ah really? Entry numbers must be low enough so. I was thinking of doing this and not deciding till much closer to the time.

Ta RQ seems to be sorted now, I was surprised it could be full already
    though I won't register just yet.
    Ah well.

edit: Joe is old age getting to you? I just went through an entry there and it got me to checkout. Were you rejected at checkout? :confused:

Yes getting old, but still as stubborn as ever

Advertisement