Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

gaggia classic reduced to £180 on amazon

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭donnacha

Tis a great price ... fyi in case its of use to anyone the camelcamelcamel service tracks price and you can get alerts when it hits the price you want.

http://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/Classic-RI8161-Machine-Professional-Stainless/product/B0000C72XS

As you'll see from this the classic has twice been reduced to just under £149 this year - most recently at the end of August where it held that price for nearly two weeks. Worth setting a price alert for any of you considering this as a future purchase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭mandarin

That's a very nifty site, it's hard to get over the extent of the price fluctuations.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭CutWeldDrive

great machine,
    just picked one of these up for 50 euro
    unwanted wedding pressie.

don't think he knew what he was selling. :)
    so far good result to day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Anyone know where I could pick up a second hand one of these. None on adverts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

These normally retail for around 315 euro. The price for a new one on Amazon is comparable to what second hand ones normally sell for. I reckon you'll be extremely lucky to get a bargain like bucketandsudz did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 464 ✭✭pugwall

I'm really tempted by this offer... For those of you that have one, how great are they? Is there much maintenance/cleaning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭livingthedream

I have mine a little over a year now and so far it has been great.
    It's a no nonsense, no unnecessary frills machine that feels built to last.

I use it every weekend and a few times during the week and I clean it about once every 6 weeks with cleaning detergent and a blind filter.

I'm currently trying to get enough cash to buy a decent grinder to go with it.... Dear Santa.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,532 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Adjusted for the Irish VAT, it will cost GBP 184.49, don't forget to select the Free Delivery option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

You will need a good grinder with this - I bought one earlier this year and couldn't get a decent espresso out of it until I got a stepless, burr grinder

I bought one earlier this year and couldn't get a decent espresso out of it until I got a stepless, burr grinder

Mind me asking what grinder you went for and what it cost/ from where etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

I bought a Gaggia MDF but I had to modify it to be stepless, I got it used on amazon.co.uk for £80. The most recommended basic grinder seems to be the Ibertial MC2, which is about £120 from various shops in the UK.

I was sceptical about spending this much on a grinder after buying the classic but despite trying a wide range of pre-ground coffees couldn't get a decent cup. If you get a stepless grinder (i.e. allowing very fine adjustment) you'll see the difference a tiny change in grind size makes to the espresso.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

great machine,
    just picked one of these up for 50 euro
    unwanted wedding pressie.

don't think he knew what he was selling. :)
    so far good result to day

bastard! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Glebee

Really tempted by this. Currently using a cheap and chearful delonghi EC330.
    Would I notice much of a difference with my espresso if I upgraded. Using freashly ground beans at the moment and find the delonghi ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

What grinder are you using? Might find more of an upgrade in taste with a new grinder depending on what you have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Glebee

Using a Delonghi KG79 burr grinder. Grind was not fine enough for espresso when I got it but I was able to adjust the burrs to give me a fairly good grind. Broke it in the process though so cant grind anything but espresso now.:)
    I loved my french press but cant grind for it now. Think Ill just get a new hand drinder for that..

• Registered Users Posts: 13 gordon hatch

Hi guys, just saw you talking about grinders. I just bought a Rancillio MD40 - light commercial - from Roy O'Brien - first time buying from him but he has great feedback from anyone that has dealt with him. He has a couple of other grinders there and here's the link to his current ads. (the Rancillio MD40 I bought is still on the page). hope this helps. :)
    http://www.adverts.ie/search/user-62518

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭garbanzo

garbanzo wrote: »

Philips bought Gaggia a few years back, so it should be all good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭opticalillusion

Reliable site Opticalillusion...?

• Advertisement

I bought my gaggia classic from them last year and they seemed fine, haven't had any requirement for after sales so can't comment on that aspect though..

Theres been a lot of bad experiences here with them, checkout http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=56343348

The Philips shop link looks to be the best deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Wiggy

Does anyone know what the deal is if an Amazon purchased Classic needs repair under warranty?

I bought one in June, and recently the steam wand has started to drip when the machine is turned on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Wiggy wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the deal is if an Amazon purchased Classic needs repair under warranty?

I bought one in June, and recently the steam wand has started to drip when the machine is turned on.

Have you contacted Amazon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

Just as a by the way, anyone want a free Gaggia Base and knock box? North County Dublin. Free to take away.

It's one of these, only issue with it is the wooden bar is missing from the knock box, but that would be easily sorted...

http://www.amazon.com/Gaggia-9001-Base-Cafe-Black/dp/B0001KOA82

Just as a by the way, anyone want a free Gaggia Base and knock box? North County Dublin. Free to take away.

It's one of these, only issue with it is the wooden bar is missing from the knock box, but that would be easily sorted...

http://www.amazon.com/Gaggia-9001-Base-Cafe-Black/dp/B0001KOA82

Yes please, if it's still available?! I was just looking to buy one!

Yes please, if it's still available?! I was just looking to buy one!

I'll put it aside for you, so. I'll PM you my number. You do understand about needing to replace the bar in the knock box? A cut off of a brush handle would do the job, like.

I bought my gaggia classic from them last year and they seemed fine, haven't had any requirement for after sales so can't comment on that aspect though..

There is no after sales service. I got stung on that front. Cowboy operation. Never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Dabzarch

Have you tried descaling the machine - running the descaler thru the steam wand opening and closing the steam knob as it runs thru? I had this problem before and i figured that it might have been lime buildup preventing the shut off valve from closing fully.

Its worth a try...seemed to help me a couple of times as i have very hard water.

• Advertisement

Have finally ordered my Gaggia after much soul searching. Got it for stg£179 which worked out at E220 which I'm happy with price-wise. Has been shipped North so I expect to have it down in Dublin via parcel motel in a couple of days. Will be back to ye for advice etc. etc in due course.

Have finally ordered my Gaggia after much soul searching. Got it for stg£179 which worked out at E220 which I'm happy with price-wise. Has been shipped North so I expect to have it down in Dublin via parcel motel in a couple of days. Will be back to ye for advice etc. etc in due course.

Hot diggety....it arrived via Parcelmotel this afternoon. Buzzing after two excellent espressos. Thank you boards.ie.....thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭jdburkedjburke

Enjoy your coffee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭nc6000

I'm very tempted to buy one of these. Looks like a good price on Amazon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭nc6000

Hot diggety....it arrived via Parcelmotel this afternoon. Buzzing after two excellent espressos. Thank you boards.ie.....thank you.

It's not too big for delivery to Parcel Motel then?

• Advertisement

nc6000 wrote: »

Hey nc6000.

No it was fine but it literally just fitted into one of the bigger drop boxes.

nc6000 wrote: »

Is there any reason why you wouldn't just get delivered to your home or an office address? Its free super saver delivery so Amazon will deliver to the Republic at no extra cost.

donnacha wrote: »
    Is there any reason why you wouldn't just get delivered to your home or an office address? Its free super saver delivery so Amazon will deliver to the Republic at no extra cost.

Maybe I misread the figures but there seemed to be charges even though it was super saver delivery. I had wanted to try the ParcelMotel service anyway so was happy to give it a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Very tempted to pick up one of these to replace a 16 year old krups espresso maker which is still just about hanging in but needing new seals. As always I read the amazon bad reviews first - 32 1 star reviews and most complaining about poor performance, bits flying off, bits breaking, electrics failing etc. is it possibly 32 cases of PICNIC or am I right to be dubious?

donnacha wrote: »

Above a certain value, the VAT uplift means that it's cheaper to have it delivered through NI and Parcel Motel, even if there's the option of (free) super saver delivery to ROI

When you ask for delivery to ROI, Amazon UK removes the UK (20%) VAT and adds on the Irish (23%) VAT. That means that a UK list price of £120 becomes £123 when you get to the checkout.

The uplift is 2.5% which means the break-even list price is £140 which would become £143.50. Given that the £3.50 uplift works out at a few cents more than the €3.50 cost of Parcel Motel, it means that if you're buying goods which have a list price of £140 or more on Amazon UK, you should have the shipment sent to Parcel Motel in NI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Very tempted to pick up one of these to replace a 16 year old krups espresso maker which is still just about hanging in but needing new seals. As always I read the amazon bad reviews first - 32 1 star reviews and most complaining about poor performance, bits flying off, bits breaking, electrics failing etc. is it possibly 32 cases of PICNIC or am I right to be dubious?

I've been using my Classic daily for about 7 or 8 years without any issue - it's never been to hospital.:D

I've been using my Classic daily for about 7 or 8 years without any issue - it's never been to hospital.:D

And as a popular home model there are lots of videos on Youtube showing how to do the basic cleaning & maintenance. It's an easy device to keep in tip-top shape provided you take care of it, that's probably why it's been around for so long.

What do ye reckon would be a fair selling price for a used (serviced last year) gaggia classic and mdf grinder with tamper?

Will be putting on adverts soon.

http://www.international.melitta.de/produkt_detail_en,,67814.html

One of these on the way at the moment. Missus is sick of coffee grounds everywhere. Never had a bean to cup. Hope it works out ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭Molzer2

http://www.international.melitta.de/produkt_detail_en,,67814.html

One of these on the way at the moment. Missus is sick of coffee grounds everywhere. Never had a bean to cup. Hope it works out ok.

Where did you buy it? Best of luck with it!

Molzer2 wrote: »
    Where did you buy it? Best of luck with it!

Got it from amazon.de. They seem to have the best prices in this range / spec from a reputable source.

Also, thanks.

So, it arrived yesterday. Followed the instructions, set it up but the water just goes straight through the machine and on to the counter top. Major malfunction.

Mailed Amazon last night and they are already sending a replacement. Shame to have to wait another week but great after sales service. Which is part of the reason we bought from there.

I ended up on The Consumer Show a few years back because of grey market after sales service re coffee machine and the scumbag who wouldn't sort out a malfunction.

Anyway, always buy from a verified reputable source is the lesson I've learned.

Disaster - but as you say at least you had bought from Amazon. My most recent machine also had some issues on unpacking - as it turned the community of users online sorted me out with the solutions. The seller (in the UK) was worse than useless - I would never buy anything from them again.

More of an inconvenience than a distaster but, yeah, bit of a let down alright.

I don't think this fault is fixable as it seems to be a disconnected water pipe or some such in a relatively sealed area. Better to report it than start messing about with it.

Still have the Classic and the MDF (cleaned inside and out yesterday by my wife in prep for selling... like new now) so no biggie.

Just glad they're sorting it. Like yourself, I've had a nightmare before, as referenced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

I see many people have put a silvia steam wand on their gaggia classics.
    That would be my ideal setup as I dont like the wand that comes standard.

Anyone here done this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI15wBdx0G8

• Advertisement
Advertisement