Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dungarvan cycle lanes - an accident waiting to happen?

Options
  • 07-11-2012 11:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭

Prompted to post this after seeing the Tramore cycle lane thread and it seems Dungarvan got funding at the same time.

I've watched in horror on many occasions as cyclists and pedestrians use the cycle lane zebra crossings that are on raised ramps. The problem seems to be that motorists who normally slow down for the ramps are concentrating on going easy over the ramps and the cyclists don't look as they think the crossing is just part of the cycle track.

With any zebra crossing I'll check both sides as I approach by car and check for anyone that might be going to cross but I shouldn't have to be looking for cyclists 10m-20m back from the crossing. The pedestrian or cyclist should be the one that is stopping and looking before they go across the crossing but cyclists often don't bother and seem to think they have right away. I'm probably showing my English credentials here but my understanding is that the pedestrial/cyclist waits and the car gives way, in that order, and if the pedestrian/cyclist is waiting on the same side of the road that the car is aproaching the car is supposed to stop and give way. Pedestians tend to treat the crossing as a zebra crossing and cyclists seem to treat the crossing as just part of the cycle track.

So far I've only seen one person pushed off a bike because he didn't look and another where a cyclist was nearly knocked off when the driver didn't look, but seen several near misses. I regularly stop for cyclists that haven't even looked in my direction so if I hadn't anticipated that they weren't going to stop I'd have hit them.

I guess its just me beeing a fuss ass but does anyone else think that these zebra crossings on speed ramps aren't as safe as they could be because they make it easier for cyclists to ride straight across without looking?

btw I'm not giving out about the speed ramps themselves.

AND Who gives way to who on these mixed up zebra/cycle crossings. Its easy to say its always the car that gives way and its the drivers fault if they hit anyone on a crossing but that doesn't mean a particular crossing is in itself safe.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,466 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I'm entirely open to correction, but I don't recall seeing actual zebra crossings on raised ramps? I have seen ramps with white stripes/triangles etc on them, to emphasise that they are there, but that doesn't make them zebra crossings, though I agree that people do use them as though they are. Have you a pic of the one you are referring to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

This is really part of my point what are they and what notification via rules of the road or signage is there as to how they should be treated.

The one I'm always very wary of is the up from the shop near the tennis courts at Abbeyside and I'll take a pic this afternoon but that one is most like a raised zebra crossing if any of them are, will also try and take a photograph from the cyclists view.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

The one outside Eurospar in Abbeyside has people cycling across it at speed as if they have right of way. It is an accident waiting to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

doh! Forgot both camera and my phone when I went into town but took a good look and all the ones on the "Abbeyside" of Dungarvan are marked up as what I call zebra crossings they have the zig zag lines either side a black and white crossing area plus overhead amber lights flashing.

Whats different is they all are raised on extended speed ramps and have warning triangles with a picture of a bicycle on a track on the poles with the amber lights. If you look on the cycle track just before the crossing they seem to have the "road markings" on the cycle tracks for stop or giveway?

The problem is that because the crossings are at the same height as the pavement and cycle track there is nothing to slow cyclists down. Any other crossing would have a curb that would slow a cyclist down for the junction/crossing. Then I don't think the siting of many of them is that good because they are near junctions and anyone making a quick right turn into the junction won't be fully concentrating on a cyclist on a cycle path some 20m away who might or might not shoot across the crossing as he turns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

looksee wrote: »
    I'm entirely open to correction, but I don't recall seeing actual zebra crossings on raised ramps? I have seen ramps with white stripes/triangles etc on them, to emphasise that they are there, but that doesn't make them zebra crossings, though I agree that people do use them as though they are. Have you a pic of the one you are referring to?

All the new raised ramps are zebra crossings.

Few things I observed at the Eurospar one which is one I go by everyday either walking or driving:

1. Cars are parked in the area covered by the zig zag lines thus obscuring the motorist's view. This means the motorist doesn't see the walker / cyclist until the last second.

2. Was nearly knocked down by an elderly woman one day, was half way across the crossing when she came on to the crossing, had to bang her bonnet before she stopped.

3. What is it with pedestrians crossing over to and back from Eurospar. There is a zebra crossing and pedestrianized traffic lights about 20m apart but they still insist on running out in from of passing cars, it would only add an extra 30 secs on to your walk.

• Advertisement
Advertisement