Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby shower!

Options
  • 07-11-2012 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭

I’ve been invited to a surprise baby shower next weekend and I haven’t a clue what to bring as a gift. I’ve been told that it’s small gifts only, €10-20 but having never been to a baby shower before, I’m not sure about the etiquette. Does one buy for the mother or the baby? I was thinking of maybe getting a ‘gro bag’ for the baby to sleep in, but then wasn’t sure if I should be buying for the mum instead. Any ideas much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I think it's a relatively new thing in Ireland so there's not much etiquette to it.

Personally, I'd give a gift in lieu of what I'd normally give when the baby is born, so clothes, vests, small teddy, blanket etc. A gro bag sounds absolutely perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I think it's a relatively new thing in Ireland so there's not much etiquette to it.

Personally, I'd give a gift in lieu of what I'd normally give when the baby is born, so clothes, vests, small teddy, blanket etc. A gro bag sounds absolutely perfect!
    It’s a real American thing isn’t it? I admit I did an inward grown when I heard about it! The mum is a close relative, so when the baby is born, I will just ask what she needs and buy her something sizable like a bouncy chair, baby monitor or some such thing. So for this party, I don’t want to get something large and just wasn’t sure whether it was supposed to be for mum or baby. Hope I don’t look miserable when I turn up with something small, but I will be getting something when the baby is born!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I don't blame you, I'm not mad on the idea of it either. There may be bigger gifts at the baby shower but I would assume that's the baby welcome gift and they won't be getting anything else so don't feel bad if you've decided to buy something after the baby is born. I think you're very generous to be buying for both occasions (shower and after the birth).

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Tunage

I always think practical when trying to buy for new babies/mums. Buy some baby grows, bibs, burp cloths or buy some nice towels for either baby or new mummy.

This way, you're not wasting your money on something the new mother might not want to use with her new baby. I know some people who hate the thought of gro-bags and others who think they're a good idea. Etsy.com have the most amazing and gorgeous things for babies and children but they're mostly American based sellers so shipping time would be a concern.

:-)

Advertisement