Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too poor to retire.

Options
  • 07-11-2012 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,474 ✭✭✭✭

Did anyone see the prime time program on Monday night? It was a bit depressing.

I though a lot of the problem was to do with the fact that two can live much more cheaply that one.

So maybe we need to find other way to live in modern society so perhaps if you do not have a partner in later life you could find another way to share a living space, maybe siblings should live together or even friends should live together. What do people think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,379 ✭✭✭✭looksee

First thought is that that would very quickly mean that one of the two would end up caring for the other, while possibly not in the best of health themselves. I am a great believer in the sheltered accommodation idea - a purpose built place where a person or couple can have a living room/bedroom/bathroom/small kitchen as an apartment, with a warden and security features.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

I know of people who thought this would be a good idea - widowed sisters moving in together, for example. Most ended up splitting up again. It can be hard living with people when you're used to being independent and running your own household the way you like.

So I agree with looksee - it's important to have your own space, but with access to shared facilities/warden. But I don't think there are enough of these places.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Saw that programme. Felt sorry for the people trying to run a home on the State pension - has to be nearly impossible if they live on their own especially with heating costs rising. But I think the ones really paying for the current financial state are the younger generation who will have to work longer before they get their pension. Many other retired people lead very comfortable lives financially - I thought the older couple getting out of the taxi might have been returning from holidays! Great. You can't really generalise as so many people's circumstances are different. Some very wealthy older folk, some financially ok older folk and some older people having financial difficulty. Overall I feel sorrier for the younger generation and hope they will get jobs and be able to put something away regularly for their retirement. I hope the free travel for seniors isn't cut as I think the negative effects would far outweigh any saving of money by the government. Gets people out, keeping active, seeing distant friends and spending money around the country.

Advertisement