Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting down the spoon

Options
  • 07-11-2012 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭

Well its time to stop this unstructured training lark. Three weeks of no running trying to rest the stomach strain, 3 months of no swimming and only the odd bit of cycling at the weekend recently don't mix with my eating capabilities. So alas back up to 80kgs and feeling nostalgic when I came across some photos of our summer holidays looking relatively trim at 75kgs. So main aim is to get back down and below 75kgs. I am in ok shape for this, I think i was around 84kgs this time last year so it can be done

2013 was the year I had marked out for an attempt at an Ironman, it will be my 5th year in triathlon but I am going to hold off for another year at least. I have a time in mind to go for when I do one and crawling across the line in just under 6 hours in this years Humbert Challenge made me postpone it. I had expected to be much closer to 5 hours than 6 coming up to that race but it was a bad day in the office. 2014 may well suit me better anyways as previously mentioned I turn 40 that summer so what better way to spend a late summer 40th

So the long and short of it - I have permission to race more as even the missus thought 3 races in a year was pretty pathetic. I think I almost became gun shy about entering races, a race on saturday would feck up my long run or cycle on sunday or there was no point in doing a sunday race as I would be no good after doing a long training session the day before was my thinking.

The plan is to keep it as local as possible and race often, duathlons in winter, club TT's and the Galway 5k Series in the Spring and 4 or 5 triathlons during the summer months. I would normally never bother to try and get a National Series Ranking as there is too much travel involved but in fairness TI have a few near me this year so I will have a long look at the calendar.

One of my main nemesis's the Fishmonger ran a 1.35 in the Galway Half Marathon, I didn't think he would get near that time. He has asked me to do Barcelona Marathon next year, having seen how much I had improved with a run only programme I was sorely tempted as I would have busted my balls to make sure I could put it up to him but I would be kissing goodbye any improvements in cycling which is my real limiter. Instead my main early aim in running is to have another go at the Craughwell 10 miler in march, I did this race three years ago and surprised myself by running just over 75 minutes. I will be gunning for sub 70 minutes in this which will give me a chance of a sub 1:30 marathon later in the year. Probably Galway 1/2 marathon in October as I have rolled my entry over for 2013

Triathlon wise while I will be doing the Humbert Challenge again for definite, I am going to take a different approach to it and have The Hell of the West as my A race, there's only two weeks between the races so hopefully enough residue will stay on to get me through Swinford. But I will be training this year to go faster at Sprint and Olympic and hopefully hang on at Swinford

The Training allowance will be different this year - I have almost considered trying to get the missus up the duff again as her Public Service maternity has finally ended in September and my training time has dried up particularly in the mornings as I am in charge of Pudsy till the childminder kicks in.

So much less of the long steady stuff and more shorter harder sessions which will probably suit what I am going for more this year anyways. I will have to get used to going out in the night after dinner as well if I want to get a double session in

Swimming -
    So for the moment my loose plan is two early morning releases have been negotiated wednesdays and fridays for swimming, these will need to be much earlier than I am used to as I have to be back for 8am, place only opens for 6.30 so it will be hard sessions for one hour, once I get back up to speed. In the new year I will look at negotiating a third session. I am hoping I can get in some coached sessions if possible but the club sessions at the moment don't suit. My main aim in 2013 is just to come out of the water fecked at least once in a race I am always too comfortable

Cycling - Although no real training in ages I did do a few things that should help me for next year I did hit Wiggle and Chain reaction and I am fully kitted out for Weekend outdoor cycling. Have gone on a couple of spins recently and I seem to have no problem hitting zone 2 heart rate. Most benficial of all I put my Garmin Edge on hold and got a bike fitting instead, €200 big ones which made my eyes water but in fairness the pain was eased a little when he threw in a road bike fitting as well without me asking. Will be interesting to see how I go as regards staying down on the bars this year, he reckoned my previous setting was putting too much pressure on my quads and killing my run. I am looking at joining Realt Tuam Cycling Club in the New Year. Main goal here would be a sub 1.25 split in Kilkee

Running - I will have a look around on the net for a 12 week plan for the Craughwell 10 mile. I think I can do this distance well as it suits me, kinda in the middle of a speed/endurance test so I am confident I can beat that sub 70 time. Again the 5k races in the spring I have a pb of 20.17 from 2 years ago - I think I am not far away from the magical sub 20 barrier now let alone next spring. Hopefully I will be set up for a good craic at a sub 1:30 attempt by the end of the year. While currently nowhere near the running form I had before injury, its coming back and I am down to high 4.40 pace for 10k in Zone 2 which is much quicker than this time last year. Ambitions in running are a sub 19:30 minute 5k, a sub 1:30 marathon in running and a sub 45 minute 10k in Kilkee.

I am also have great intentions to start a core exercise programme this year - one I can do from home which keeps me in the good books. I tried the gym a few times but I cant stand Muscleheads and there is a fair few of them in my gym

Overall - a few top tens in the less competitive local events and a podium place in Louisburgh/Triburgh (as long as the standard is similar to 2012 :- ie................Low)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Best of luck CW.

Other than HoTW, Humbert & TriBurgh, have you picked any other races for next year?

You forgot to mention how all your cycling gear is matching now and you're colour co-ordinated :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

pgibbo wrote: »
    Best of luck CW.

Other than HoTW, Humbert & TriBurgh, have you picked any other races for next year?

You forgot to mention how all your cycling gear is matching now and you're colour co-ordinated :D

I need to buy a blue bike though to get the full effect for the winter rides, however I freely admit K-Swiss will be looking to sponsor me during the summer ;)

Nah not really picked out too much yet - would definetly be looking at Castlehackett Duathlon at the end of January. If I go for the National Series ranking I suppose I am looking at doing the two Sligo races but I cant do the nearest one to me in Loughrea as its the club race. With the HOTW thats 3 and then its down to either doing Joey Hannon and North Tipp with pool swims that I hate or Lough Key and Belmullet when I usually have shut up the Triathlon shop by then. It is 5 scoring races isnt it?

Otherwise keep it local with Castlebar, Westport, Galway Cope and perhaps Lough Cutra all up for consideration

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Good man CW, thread followed with interest. I'll send you a photo of my back for you to hang on the wall to help focus that training :)

Good man CW, thread followed with interest. I'll send you a photo of my back for you to hang on the wall to help focus that training :)

I wont be taking down my prized David Beckham posters for your hairy back!

Monday Evening:
    My first run in a long time around Claregalway as I needed the lights. Was nice for a change and its easier than my normal route. A yellow flash went by me early on as Matthew Bidwell shot by - lovely to watch a good runner it looks so effortless for them. Was enjoying the run and pushed the last k into 4.15 pace. Overall 4.46 pace for 10k ran 154 AHR

Tuesday Afternoon: Just going to keep the pace on the bike steady for November anyways. 40 minutes AHR = 134. The heart rate has been much higher this year on the bike so far, I used to really struggle to get the rate up last year. Not sure if this good or bad. Watching Heroes Season 3 these days and to say it is complicated is an understatement. I am lost!

Tuesday Evening: I was given the green light to head off for a swim this evening rather than early doors tomorrow. Going to go with the short plans for a while as I have neither the time or the stamina to go any longer. The kickboard near killed me in this session. Main set was 6 x 108 off 2.20. I was relatively comfortable coming in at around 1.55's but I would have had no chance if the recovery was shorter

Wednesday Afternoon: Another 10k and I struggled with it today, started off well but come around 6k I was struggling to hold the heart rate and I began to slow to 5.xx km pace to keep it down. I cheated in the last K and pushed on ignoring the heart rate to keep the overall pace below 5 minute pace. Average pace 4.58 for 10k. AHR -158

Wednesday Evening -
    Tried some core exercises, went ok, certainly was feeling the plank exercise anyways, probably need to add more reps though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭El Director

Best of luck CW with the above! We should be bumping into each other quite a bit in 2013 as I intend to do as many local/west events as I can. I wonder when/if COPE will be on, was sorry to miss it this year, unfinished business there ;)

• Advertisement

Best of luck CW with the above! We should be bumping into each other quite a bit in 2013 as I intend to do as many local/west events as I can. I wonder when/if COPE will be on, was sorry to miss it this year, unfinished business there ;)

Presume it will be on the week before the Aquathon as Loughrea was moved in to first week in August for National Series. Probably a clash for me with the Humbert. Geraghty won pulling up this year but you would have been in the mix for 2nd after that.

Thursday - Had work in Limerick so managed 40 minutes on the turbo before I headed down. Struggling but happy with the effort as I was in the 130's for the heart rate

Friday - 10k around the local loop, was flying for the first few kms averaging in the 4.30's but HR started to crawl slowly over the high 150's so had to slow into 5.xx territory. Legs were tired - finished 10k in 4.53 pace. AHR = 156

A mixed bag this weekend, I was expecting very little to be done due to family stuff - but I ended up getting two reasonable sessions in but left myself down instead on gorging, a sunday dinner at 1pm kills me as I eat crap for the rest of the day. Got plenty of swimming in too but with pudsy on board so a session missed in swimming this week

Saturday - Managed to get a sneaky hour in late evening so ran around Claregalway. Legs were very stiff so kept it easy in zone 2 which is high 130's - low 140's area. Was well over 5 minute average pace but started to come to life for the last three k and put the boot down. I was pleased to see the heart rate was relatively settling in low 160's for 4.20 pace for the last 3k. Average pace - 4.59 AHR = 147

Sunday - Wasn't expecting anything today - but with a 5.50 human alarm clock call with sore toothies. I was rewarded by Mrs C coming down to us at 7.30 am and telling me to be back by 10.30 at the latest. Christ it was cold but the winter gear does its work once you got going. Cycled out to Barna and back for 50k approx - it was at an extremely leisurely pace though with a stop for a quick coffee. I was a bit embarrassed when I finally moved some layers to see the Garmin and I was at 24.3 pace. Hit the N17 and talked myself into going down on the bars and seeing what the new position was like - while it was a little stiff on the upper back I will give it another few tries before I look at getting it adjusted. I managed to stay down for the rest of the way home anyways which is approx 18k and I was pleased to see I had pulled my average pace into the 26kph zone for the 50k. Went by a good crowd from Realt Dearg who were looking surprised at a lad with a balaclava on TT'ing at this time of year. AHR = 115

Next weekend could be another poor week, while most of my friends are married off at this stage, getting to that age of the 40th birthday parties becoming more and more common. One on friday and saturday this weekend :rolleyes:

A poor week so far, need to get out on the turbo later today and no swimming again! I will be sticking to Duathlons at this stage :o

Monday Evening:
    8K at 4.48 pace around Claregalway, started out slow but felt a nice little bit of energy after about 2k so was able to bring it into the 4.30's for a few kilometres, had to tone it back towards the end as the heart rate was going above zone 2. AHR = 153

Tuesday - Nothing was in Cork for work

Wednesday Lunch: Another run in the rain with puddles everywhere, I enjoy it when its only a light drizzle. Heart rate monitor settles almost straight away and usually it takes the cold out of the air. A decent run, breathing felt good and the heart rate while at the top of Zone 2 from early on stayed there. 10k in 4.50 AHR=156

Bought another cycling top, need to keep my warchest for a Garmin Edge:rolleyes:

Are there no pools or footpaths to run on in Cork??? :rolleyes:

Are there no pools or footpaths to run on in Cork??? :rolleyes:

Not with the amount of meetings I had, when I do go on the roads it usually a packed schedule. I was sipping a coffee with one client in the Rochestown Park and next thing I notice my boss is sitting across from me with another guy.

Great communication in our office as neither of us knew the other would be in Cork that day

• Advertisement

catweazle wrote: »
    Not with the amount of meetings I had, when I do go on the roads it usually a packed schedule. I was sipping a coffee with one client in the Rochestown Park and next thing I notice my boss is sitting across from me with another guy.

Great communication in our office as neither of us knew the other would be in Cork that day

Good job it wasnt a pint you were sipping so. :rolleyes:

Thursday: 40 minutes on the turbo AHR = 126

Friday: Decided to do the long run this evening, I had a work press launch in town and I was going to stay in the mothers for the impending 40th Knees up. The press launched involved a sports app for Connacht Rugby - and while praying for a scrum half and a stumpy prop waiting for the two players for the photos, of course two behemoths walk in, so I am sure I will look like a dwarf in the photos. One was a Fijian, christ they are just massive units!

The run was down the prom that evening, I am probably running too fast in these for this time of year but I was enjoying it and my family house has three short very steep hills just outside it. So 14k at 4.50 pace AHR - 160 with a few hill sprints at the end which got me to 178, there was a bit left in the tank so last years max heart rate of 183 should be broken at some stage this year. Running in low 160's seems to be manageable and relatively comfortable. Need to do a race soon to get new heart rate values. Need to tie down a plan for the ten miler in March as well

Pudsey had come down with tonsilitis so I called off the friday 40th and had a rare difficult night with the poor fella. Hes a great sleeper so we were running around like headless chickens not knowing what to do

Saturday:
    Had hoped to get in a cycle this morning as another 40th that night but again didn't get a chance with the little fella sick. Snatched an hours swim where I hit gold in the challenge - although I feel I haven't swam regularly in ages, I am ahead of last year so I was putting it in at the start of the year

Sunday:
    With the 40th again pulled last night, another hairy night and my first training thoughts were that I could now justify the Garmin Edge with the money saved on two big nights. I might just throw out hints to Mrs C for xmas first though. Again not a great days training, got 1.20 on the trainer watching the Cycling pursuit championships AHR - 124. Stayed on the tri bars for a lot of this which felt very comfortable, I know there's a world of difference between staying down on the turbo and on the road but perhaps all these planks and core exercises are helping

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

The one they went with is not so bad, at least the guy beside me is the same height and the big lads are turned to the side so I don't look so much like a kid beside them. I'll take it :)

* Full heads of hair on the other three though.......bastards!

Whats worse is the two lads are actually holding iPads :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

There is something very sexy about an Irish accent. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Dory Dory wrote: »

but not the Galway one.

BennyMul wrote: »
    but not the Galway one.

Sounds like a challenge to me. ;)

Note the pause when i tried to come out with a second club, I drew a blank and came out with Dunmore. Who while having a great history in GAA wouldn't be well known in rugby circles. Luckily I found out after they did indeed have a rugby club, so no need to redo :o

Monday: I have the Pussywagon parked up in the attic for the winter and finally got my road bike back off my sister. I don't know if it was unfamiliarity with the position but I really struggled and the legs were dead. A poor HR average of 123

Tuesday Afternoon: I was mad with myself, I knew there were gale force winds on the way and with my flexibility with work I could have gone out earlier for the run. Instead I didn't and had to go out in the teeth of a gale, I quiet enjoy rain but I cant stand wind when it comes to training. Died a death with this run and decided early on during the run that this weeks running would be a recovery week, thats how organised my training is :rolleyes:. A pathetic 5.14 for 8k with a 147 heart rate

Tuesday Evening:
    Things are beginning to become more regular with the young lad so I am finding out there is a window in the evenings now for early evening training as long as I don't take the piss. I had no time really with this one but still decided to get down to the pool to do a 2 x 500 with the pull buoy. No idea of time and this is more just to keep some type of waterlegs going. Surprisingly comfortable all the same

Wednesday Lunch: Another poor run that was slightly better than yesterdays. Averaged 5.07 pace for 8k with 147 hr again.

Wednesday Evening:
    Probably the most suitable training session for this slot is the turbo, as for run or swim I have to head off to Claregalway subtracting time from my training window. With better organisation I would probably sneak an hour, but am happy enough with 40 minutes for the moment as that is as long as a Heroes episode lasts anyways. A bit easier today to get the heart rate up AHR = 126

Thursday Lunch: Another 40 minutes on the turbo, this was much better pushed hard to get it into the 130's early and then spun the wheels in high cadence, easily keeping it there. AHR = 133

A little bit of core work every night for the last week, nothing much perhaps 10 minutes of different plank stretches and a few sit ups, will increase the times next week as it is becoming more manageable

Thursday Evening: Another 40 minute turbo session AHR-129

Friday: Pudsey now has a chest infection so the run at lunch was cancelled for a trip to the doctors. Got out that evening and decided to go for a rare swim. Left the watch back in the changing room and was wary that my lane might be robbed so feck it and left it. 3 x 500m with the pull buoy

Saturday: A long day in the house with the little man, thank god for the rugby. Got out that night, finally felt a little bit better on the run averaging under 5 minute kilometres for the first time this week. Ahr-147 Pace 4.54 kph for 9k. I popped in for a small swim after - had the watch so 1 x 548 with the pull buoy came in just under 10 minutes and then luxuriated in the jacuzzi for a while

Sunday: Probably the coldest day in a long time so a good test of the winter gear. Held up pretty well although I probably wear too much, compression shorts and top, full winter bib shorts, 2 base layers, cycling jacket and a gillet along with snow board gloves and a balaclava :rolleyes:

Claregalway out to the mothers house where I finally looked at the watches (buried inside the snowboard gloves), I cringed a little, just under 30kph with an AHR of 115 for 25k, looks like a bigger tailwind than I thought on the way in. Will be doing this route more often as I was served up a toasted sandwich and a coffee upon arrival. The only issue was I was starting to feel how sweaty and cold the first base layer was.

Headed back and was working much harder, the average pace dropped back to 27.4 heart rate up to 129 average for the 25k but I was happy with that as I got caught in most of the traffic lights. Had the road bike out for the first time since probably last year. A Giant TCR (alloy) with all Ultegra specs. For 6 years old its a grand bike and I felt strong on it, glad I pushed the boat out a little to what I could afford when I bought it years ago

• Advertisement

Monday: Went for an evening swim - just me and my pull buoy for 2000m split into 4 x 500 with a few sips of water in between. Just looking to get some kind of stamina going for the next while and will introduce some faster stuff when it feels right. Nothing too bad here although the shoulders were a bit tight towards the end which nevers happens me. Total 2200

Tuesday Lunch: A tough run, struggled a bit out there and then felt stronger again towards the end. Eircom were doing work on the road and every time I nearly caught up to them to badger them about no broadband they drove off ahead of me again. Upped the distances again back to a 10k run. AHR-154 Pace 4.56 minutes

Tuesday Evening: An easy 40 minutes on the turbo at 117 heart rate

Wednesday Lunch: A harder session on the turbo, gears beginning to slip on the middle and small ring on my treble. I remember the mechanic last year saying the big gear was in the best shape through lack of use :oAHR - 131

Wednesday Evening: I was going to do a run but decided to go swimming instead which was a mistake. Busy day in there with two swim sessions one after another taking up the lanes so I was left to dodge around the kids in the public area. Managed to get a lane when they were finished but it turned into almost an open water session with the swell the girls were making in their aqua aerobics class beside me. Another 4 x 500 with the pull buoy at a comfortable pace.

Hmmmm....the swell the girls were making. Are you saying they were big girls? ;)

Hmmmm....the swell the girls were making. Are you saying they were big girls? ;)

Be careful answering that one....you never know who is lurking!!!! :D

Be careful answering that one....you never know who is lurking!!!! :D

Absolutely!

Especially when I nodded the head to Marion M as I was heading off, I wouldn't like to be in her bad books.

Dory I would never knock big girls participating in an aerobics session, I would be more inclined to give out about them if they were in front of the TV eating Pizza and feeling sorry for themselves.

Anyways I digress there were all shapes and sizes at it but I am guessing it is one of the new classes which are always packed, hence the swell as its a small 18m pool, if I come back same night in 4 weeks the number more than likely will be halved. As the lazier ones start making excuses about why they cant make it.

Thursday Afternoon: A solid 10k run at 4.51 pace - AHR 155. Nearly back to the form I was in before DCM. The young lads 1st birthday so the rest of the day was done nibbling rice Krispey buns and Taytos.

Friday Afternoon:
    40 minutes on the turbo AHR-131

Saturday Morning: Pushed the bike forward to today as was going out with the Missus for our own birthday celebration so any training would be in danger tomorrow with the expectant hangover. I didn't have a huge amount of time and after a fairly lethargic twenty minutes I decided I might as well push hard. So out the backroads of Turloughmore, into Tuam and home down the N17. Its an honest route with a decent stretch in all directions. Came home for the 42k averaging 29k on the button and 129 AHR.

I might do this route again more often as a test

Sunday Afternoon: I was right - sick as a dog all day from Erdinger. I Love the stuff but it gives me wicked hangovers. Struggled out eventually and huffed and puffed my way to 10k at 5.19 pace. Felt a little better after in fairness

Time to start introducing some speed sessions this month :rolleyes:

Well the speed kinda came in!

Monday Evening: Started back on Interested's sessions as I feel I have some type of half assed stamina back again. I couldnt find the Polar watch anywhere and as I dont like using the Garmin on a regular basis in the pool. I went off without anything. The main part of the plan called for 8 x 108 off 2.20 so I guessed these and I would expect the recovery was on the generous side. I was annoyed by my fellow lane swimmer who caught me out a few times, she wasn't far off the same pace as me but she couldn't breathe so she would go 6 or 7 strokes then stand up to breathe and then duck the head again and I nearly rammed her a few times. I was going to tell her to stop going clockwise in the lane and stay to her side but as I wasn't really straining I bit my tongue

Tuesday Afternoon: I now found the Polar watch but couldn't find the strap. This run called for a easy run with a 3k tempo in the middle of it, seeing as I am targeting a sub 70 10 miler in Craughwell (which may be in jeopardy already due to a stag in Liverpool that month) I decided the minimum pace I should go at here was race pace which is 4.20. So off I went and was flying down the road after my warm up, I look at my watch and at 500m I am at 3.45 pace, I chill the jets but by 1k I am starting to feel the strain coming in at 4.08, the 2nd k comes in at 4.18 and I just blow mentally coming up to the drag at Gibbos house (I would swear a drag was a part of his house hunting requirements at the time) and dropped the pace.

I spent the next 2kms admonishing myself for breaking so easily which led me to doing one more race pace kilometre at the 6k marker which I got in on 4.08 again. A long way away to hold 16 @ 4.20 kilometres but I have time and things will improve! 8k at 4.50 pace

Tuesday Evening: Just a spin of the pedals for 40 minutes, still can't find strap

Wednesday Afternoon: I have woken up to the sniffles so I am blaming that for yesterday ;). With an eye on some intervals tomorrow I set off nice and easy in low zone 2, towards the end it started to get much harder and my heart rate was a little over what it should have been for that pace. Found my old ipod looking for the strap so it was nice to listen to some more of the softer playlists I had when I was training for my first marathon in Connemara a few years back. 8k Pace- 4.59 AHR-151

Wednesday Evening:
    The plan was Downward Spiral on the Sufferfest but the legs were still weak so just a zone 2 session to a Heroes episode. AHR 127

At least you get the drag up to my gaff early in your run. It's always at the finish for me :D

Cycle Sunday morning with El D if you fancy it.

Cycle Sunday morning with El D if you fancy it.

I am afraid I will have to miss 2 hours + of pain trying to hang on to ye guys. Wife heading down to Wexford on saturday morning for a 40th so babysitting and turbo for me

Thursday Evening: With it lashing all day and strong winds, I dodged the lunchtime intervals that I had planned and popped over to a fit looking Amphkingwest who kindly offered to see if I can get my HRM resolved which is starting to spike badly for the first ten minutes or so. One pair of running gloves later (I am worse than a woman had to buy something), I was off with a steely determination to get my run in to match Seans early morning effort

I cancelled the planned evening swim, the rain had died off and the swim is the least important aspect of triathlon for me until the new year.

Headed down to our ghost industrial park in Claregalway, with about a 10% occupancy rate, I had this spot in mind for a long time for nightime intervals as I dont like the traffic jam queues in Claregalway laughing at some eejit bent over double gasping for air - as thats the only real option I have for nighttime running with light

Disappointed to see the entrance up to the estate shrouded in darkness - and I had to tread carefully to get up to the buildings. These lack of lights are either a cost saving measure or are on the blink - either way I doubt they will be fixed anytime soon. This brought me down to a run of 700 metres in the light.

The set was 4 x 800 metres in 3.30 with 90 seconds recovery which doing the maths meant a 4.12 pace run for 800 metres. After the 1st one done in 4.08 fairly comfortably and with a whopping 90 second break between each one I picked up the pace to mid to low 3.50's and decided with the reps being only 700ms to throw in a 5th rep. Enjoyed it - once i had settled into an easy rhythm on the 2k run back to the gym after I noted I was running at 5 minute pace easily. 8k in total

I had planned to swim a 1000m straight as a warm down but the arms and shoulders were tired so i left it at 500m as I will be swimming again on friday hopefully

• Advertisement

catweazle wrote: »
    8k in total

Yeah, but my 7.8k in the wind and rain is worth more :rolleyes:

I'm doing no more updates until the 31st December just to keep you guessing ;)

Advertisement