Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting down the spoon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Friday Am - a miserable effort of a timetrial in the pool. Pool is 18 metres and want to finish these sets on same side of pool for equipment and water

108 metres - 1.35 Went out to hard on this and had so much lactate by the end of the 4th length I lost my stroke entirely for the last 2 lengths

216m -3.36 After the pain of the 100m I went the other way and was too cautious on this, picked it up for the last few but knew I had a little left out there

396 :( After seven lengths with the form gone and the lactate flowing I just shelved it, it would have been pointless as it would have been so far off the mark. Next time I will stick to just one TT in a session

Friday lunch - A bit better on the turbo, 50 minutes AHR 129

Saturday - A decent run, I love Garmin I got the 500 package before Xmas and must have lost the hrm, one quick email to garmin, no problem sir I will another one sent to you in the post today free of charge. The first novelty was that it worked straight away, I usually have to wait for 10-15 minutes before I get a read on the old one. I was sceptical of the hr it was giving me and was running hard trying to get the hr up until I reliased I had it set to average hr, so the last 5k were tougher than it should have been. Longest I have ran since march of last year so the legs were giving out towards the end of it 15k 5.08 pace AHR - 149

Sunday - I had the pleasure of being out with the boards moderators team for dinner last night, I was reasonably behaved until a few late bottles of erdinger when we slipped into massimos after, I compounded my error by deciding to stay up watching match of the day with a glass of wine till 4am. You can't be doing that sh1te with kids as they will nail you in the morning, so a 7.30 start.

I had left the car in town deliberately so I would have to cycle in, a cracking morning but by the time I got out it started to piss, so arriving at knocknacarra wet and miserable I said shag it and turned back and collected the car. 30k which was only half of what I planned but looking at the bright side it's 30 more than what usually happens when I have a hangover

Swim programmes start tomorrow :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

You might be better off just doing a CSS test as outlined here in future

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Between you getting up at 7:30 and Gibbo up at 6 I feel a little bad about finally rolling out of bed at 10. Only got up because I was hungry!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

BTH wrote: »
    Between you getting up at 7:30 and Gibbo up at 6 I feel a little bad about finally rolling out of bed at 10. Only got up because I was hungry!!

Ah ha, so there is a down side to having no body fat!! :D

Hardly a session to log - the male side of the family both came down with illness. Pudsy had a nasty dose of tonsillitis and I had a mild doze of manflu. I have a nightmare three weeks of traveling started last week so I decided I might as well rest up and get the driving started.

Monday AM: 1000m swim, the little fella was starting to get grouchy and with us running calpol and Neurofen to combat his temperature he would be like an antichrist in the morning till he got his fix. I went this morning but shouldn't have, feeling guilty I shut up shop and came home early. Left the morning swimming for the week after this to help out with the little man

Monday Lunch:
    Coming to the end of Breaking Bad Season 2 I jumped on the turbo to finish the series off - 50 minutes AHR - 130

Monday Evening: Probably the first sign their was something going on, went for an easy 6k recovery run and the heart rate was very low the whole way through it. 6k @ 5.42 AHR - 118

Tuesday Lunch:
    The opposite of yesterday struggling and with a sky high heart rate for the pace I was going, 8k @ 5.26 AHR - 148

Dublin and Sligo for wednesday/thursdayso I was happy to can any training as I had developed a chesty cough anyways.

Friday: Got in a slow turbo session, literally just trying to ease back into it

Saturday: Another hour session of spinning easily - beginning to feel more normal again

Sunday - Went out to the mothers to get the young lad out of the house for a while. We had to upgrade his antibiotics but he is back to himself today. Went for a run down the prom, certainly the area in front of the golf club is destroyed, I was reduced to walking for most of that stretch as it was more or less just washed up rocks. 8.5k at 5.50

Monday: In cork for the day

Tuesday: Back to normal now, went for a run at lunch, 8k @5.19 AHR - 140

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Manflu??? :eek::eek::eek: That's too bad, cw. I hear sometimes men never fully recover, and that it's actually worse than having a baby. Hats off to you for finding the strength to write your post above. Good man. I guess a priest won't be needed. ;)

Wednesday: Nothing - Down in Cork for the day

Thursday: in Dublin but last meeting cancelled, so got a run around Claregalway that evening before dinner. A great run, no Garmin but the stride developed into an awkward looking ambling run, which is always a sign that I am feeling strong. No clue of pace for the 8k but I would expect it was around 5 minute pace. hr - 144

Friday - An hour on the turbo

Saturday - 15k, battery went on garmin. Back to grinding it out again, legs giving out once I went over the 10k mark

Sunday - The redneck bro in law picked up a 2nd hand bike so I went out with him for a spin first. The plan was 20k with him but at less than 20kph he was gone after 6k so turned around at that stage. Christ he's going to be some project to get him up to some sort of speed. Dropped him back to the house and pottered around the local area to get me up to 36k

Off to London now so nothing till Wednesday, you gotta love Knock, not a hint of a staff member and no sign of the check in area open and everyone sitting around confused

A desperate week but I knew it would be, hopefully that will be the end of a major stretch of travelling for work for a month or two anyways

Monday: Nothing, over in London. A smal world I was in the middle of no where in the arse end of zone 6 and who do I bump into but one of the fish from Tri Lakes, luckily neither of us were away for a dirty weekend so we could stop and chat

Tuesday: Got back to the house in early evening and managed a quick swim in the pool, a paltry 600 metres

Wednesday: A run around claregalway in late evening, 8k

Thursday: An early doors turbo before heading to cork, 50 minutes

Friday: Nothing was in Dublin for the day

Saturday: My own fault, I had planned a 17k run but foolishly said I would watch the 1st half of the rugby and watch the rest that night. But not only did I watch the whole match I ended up luxuriating in the glowing après match analysis as well. if they can keep Joe away from the New Zealand job I think they can do great things. He had wales in his pocket with that game plan. I only had time for 9k in the end of it all

Sunday:Wife nailed me with coffee for the girls so by the time she came back it was getting late, a flat tyre on the front wheel was the final straw so 1.40 on the turbo was the end product

No excuses - get your bike sorted for Sunday and be ready for a pedal! :pac:

pgibbo wrote: »
    No excuses - get your bike sorted for Sunday and be ready for a pedal! :pac:

I can throw in my excuses early this week, I had a passionate Valentines weekend in Westport all ready and paid for (with the intention of blagging the bike in the boot). I tell Lor last week and she tells me she is heading off for the weekend with the girls so I had to cancel it.

So baby bottles and gruffaloes are in my stars for the entire weekend and not even some 6 nations to tide me over :(

PS - The following weekend I am shagged too (a friends 40th)

• Advertisement

A better week for me, double sessions evry day although the morning ones were nothing to write home about - struggling to get back into the swimming

Monday Am: 1000mts straight with pullbouy

Monday Afternoon:
    8k run, the Garmin finally it what it is supposed to do and not work accurately for the first 5/10 minutes of the run (it couldn't last). Once the sweat kicked in it finally started to rise from the 60's, I amnt sure if it was boredom or that I was feeling a little better than usual about 1/2 way through I decided I would start doing some sub 5 minute ks. It all got a little to hard towards the end and the tainted heart average started to hit the 140's,. probably the best indicator of how hard I was working was that with the recovery rate factored in I was around 175 finishing the run. 8k at 144 hr average page 4.55

Tuesday AM:
    1200mts straight with pullbouy, because I am doing so little distance in the pool I decided I would do a little in the gym after so perhaps 30 minutes of messing with some weights

Tuesday Afternoon: 50 minutes on the turbo, felt reasonably strong today on the pedals

Wednesday AM: 1200ms straight with pullbouy and some more weights after

Wednesday Afternoon: I swapped the run for the turbo with the gale force winds, I was happy to anyways, tuesday, thursday, saturday suit me for the runs. Struggled today, legs must be feeling the effects of the weights

Thursday AM:
    Mid week match of the day has me sleeping in late so a quick 1000m straight with pull bouy

Thursday Afternoon:
    Found this run tough, poor pace although overall I have noticed my easy pace is improving. 8k 142 AHR - 5.05 pace

Friday AM:
    A quick 1200ms and then a rush home to purchase Ennio Morricone tickets for the me and the wife. Not on sale till next next thursday :o I was sure they were this morning

Friday Lunch:
    50 minute turbo session - not a bad 25 minutes in the middle of it

Not sure what I will get done over weekend, Mrs C not away now till 2 tomorrow so at least I should get my long run in. Lap of the gods on sunday with what time she gets home at what with hangovers etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I'm starting to worry about your fondness for the pull buoy. ;) Have ye no legs?

Dory Dory wrote: »
    I'm starting to worry about your fondness for the pull buoy. ;) Have ye no legs?

I have and I will use them but my plan is to try and build some type of distance up first or I will be down to 400m - 500m sessions

A poor weekends training as expected

Saturday: Run: Got 15k in, was supposed to be 17k, but too long a natter to Gibbo in the pool with the young lads followed up by meeting two others on the way out had me running late. I was glad after 10k, my legs really didn't enjoy this, found it a real struggle and not very enjoyable. 15k @ 5.14 pace ahr - 150

Sunday:
    Nothing - as I suspected the wife fecked off to The Crescent shopping after her night away, so she didn't get back till near 4. I was about to head off on the turbo but I felt sorry for the young lad as I had stuck him in front of the TV all day while I tried to handle the little one. (Trying to give a 6 month old more or less exclusively breast fed baby a bottle is the stuff of nightmares - she was bawling at the sight of me coming into the room with the bottle)

He had been good so he was rewarded with a trip to the playground and Busy Bees instead

So if nothing else its a bumper accumulation of brownie points for another day at least :rolleyes:

Started out well but the week ended up being one of my worst weeks training in years. Between work, dentists and hangovers I got hardly anything done.

A hungover snails pace 20k cycle into a headwind today to pick up the car from town was about the highlight

Must do better :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

catweazle wrote: »
    A hungover snails pace 20k cycle into a headwind today to pick up the car from town was about the highlight

AGAIN?? :eek:

And that wasn't a nice day for cycling in Galway!

A good night at the 40th so? :cool:

BTH wrote: »
    AGAIN?? :eek:

And that wasn't a nice day for cycling in Galway!

Made worse by the water being gone for most of the day in the local area, it was too warm for what I wore so sweating alcohol with no water to replenish it wasn't nice.
    A good night at the 40th so? :cool:

Ya I was having a look around that night who was at it and I was thinking christ I have loads this year, staying close friends with your underage GAA teammates will hit you in the pocket come these 40ths as we all turn 40 this year :rolleyes:

A little bit better than last week but that wouldn't be hard, a new danger has arisen as the wife has finally donned the runners again. a taste of my own medicine as she fecked off on thursday and Friday lunch for runs leaving me holding the babies. I now have to have a schedule written out for the week so we can work around them :eek:

Monday: 1200m swim in the morning with a lunchtime run of 8k at 5.02 pace AHR - 146

Tuesday: 1200m in the pool with a lunchtime 50 metre turbo

Wednesday: 1600m in the pool, had a watch with me for a change so 4 x 400 off 9 minutes with pull buoy. 7.50/7.50/7.40/7.20. A 7k run at lunch 5.03 pace AHR - 145

Thursday: 1600 swim, more 4 x 400's off 9 minutes, wife nailed me for lunch run so that was that

Friday: My car broke down on the way to a Nct test so that wasn't a good start, morning and lunch gone trying to get it fixed up as it was the last day for the retest. So one new fuel pump later I managed to get it passed later that afternoon. Got out on the bike for 50 minutes in the evening

Not the worst weekends training - i probably could do with a loinger cycle on the Sunday but I could say the same every week I suppose.

Saturday: 16k - this may be the longest run I have done since this time last year. Dropped the young lad over to the granny and went for a run down the prom and then up and around Barna Woods. Not particularly fast - but the legs weren't giving out as much as they usually do after going over 10k. A lovely day the 1st day of Spring - and like a snowdrop I even saw a few TT bikes make their probable first appearances of the year. AHR - 148 Pace 5.15

Sunday:
    My teeth were killing me last night and I had resigned myself to another abscess so I took no chances and did 1.40 on the turbo instead. While it was a crap morning it ended up being a nice day in the end of it all. Teeth are ok today, the dentist reckons I am grinding my teeth badly I haven't noticed that I am doing it but perhaps Saturdays run caused the problems. Perhaps a mouth-guard is needed! AHR - 123

On another note the organized brother in law was at me to book some apartments in Kenmare - I told him to chill out but when I looked later that night it looks like the ones I was looking at in the Kenmare Bay are sold out

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Not the worst weekends training - i probably could do with a loinger cycle on the Sunday but I could say the same every week I suppose.

Saturday: 16k - this may be the longest run I have done since this time last year. Dropped the young lad over to the granny and went for a run down the prom and then up and around Barna Woods. Not particularly fast - but the legs weren't giving out as much as they usually do after going over 10k. A lovely day the 1st day of Spring - and like a snowdrop I even saw a few TT bikes make their probable first appearances of the year. AHR - 148 Pace 5.15

Sunday: My teeth were killing me last night and I had resigned myself to another abscess so I took no chances and did 1.40 on the turbo instead. While it was a crap morning it ended up being a nice day in the end of it all. Teeth are ok today, the dentist reckons I am grinding my teeth badly I haven't noticed that I am doing it but perhaps Saturdays run caused the problems. Perhaps a mouth-guard is needed! AHR - 123

On another note the organized brother in law was at me to book some apartments in Kenmare - I told him to chill out but when I looked later that night it looks like the ones I was looking at in the Kenmare Bay are sold out

FYP

• Advertisement

Not a bad week so far with a little bit of variety this week.

Monday AM:
    1200m - tried 400m without the pull bouy towards the end and it near killed me

Monday Lunch:
    I decided I was going to push it for the first 15 minutes so went out in 4.58, 4.35, 4.14, I was well cooked after it, not used to anything except base for the last while. Crawled home with a heart rate I couldnt get back down. Pace 4.58 AHR-155

Tuesday AM - The return of the kickboard, 1600m with 400 kick, I cheated and used the fins but I could feel the benefit with 400 free after it.

Tuesday Lunch:
    Left it a little late so only got three of tghe sets in Fight Club, 128, 138 and 148. I matched my highest bike heart rate of 173 which I was a little narked about later as I reckon I could have held on for another 15 seconds for another beat or two. Was buzzing after it - enjoyed that

Wednesday AM:
    1600m 800 pull, 800 free
    Got caught for my lunchtime run by the wife wanting to get out so that was it for the day

Thursday AM: Went out on the turbo to make uo for missing yesterdays session. I hate running early doors but no problem on the bike, must do more of it 50 minutes AHR - 126

Thursday Lunch: The bridge was flooded so over to just befpre the three nasty dogs and back home for 7k. Beginiing to regularly get under the 5 minute ks for easy now. Pace 4.54 AHR - 148

Friday AM: 1600m, 800 pull, 400 kick 400 free

Friday Lunch: Working in the office I decided to pack the bike in the boot before I left, 3 times up and down the Windy Gap after work, first time having the Garmin with me so had a look at the grades as I was going up, the main section is about 1k long, mostly around 10% with a few 14% sections and a few 5%. I refused to go into the granny ring but it near killed me, in fairness the last one was easier than the first one

Saturday good - Sunday not so good!

Saturday:
    With the wife hungover from a big night with friends the night before I brought the young lad over to the granny. Its great for me as the two of them get on like a house on fire, so I am more or less pushed out the door by the two of them for my saturday run. 16.5k at 5.15 pace AHR - 148.

I was happy with this, while it was still a struggle I mixed it up a little this time on the route and added plenty of hills instead of the usual flat route. Back just in time for the 2nd half of the rugby.

Sunday: Sunday training is proving a little problematic to get a guaranteed window. She wants me to go early doors but the weekend is the only days that I get them dressed and up and about so I feel its not fair on her. Lunchtime usually suits me best for training but between her running and the kids naptime it ties me to the turbo. I cook most nights but never the sunday roast so perhaps early evening now that the days are getting longer will suit me best

Anyways the plan was 1.30-2.00 hours on the turbo but after getting a flat 1.10 into it I had no intention of changing it and shut up shop and treated myself to lunch and a quick read of the paper with the two kids in bed

I made the right call so not texting you at 7am for a pedal yesterday ;)

A flat on the turbo! Honestly you couldn't make that up :)

I made the right call so not texting you at 7am for a pedal yesterday ;)

Ya Loraine might not have been so keen to see a htfu text coming through on her phone at 7am - work is very strange without a phone today
    AKW wrote: »
    A flat on the turbo! Honestly you couldn't make that up :)

This would my 3rd or 4th time to get one over the years, a common enough occurrence I would have thought - if you spent more time training and less on your hair you might come to the same conclusion

This would my 3rd or 4th time to get one over the years, a common enough occurrence I would have thought - if you spent more time training and less on your hair you might come to the same conclusion

:D

Stop buying cheap tubes and invest in a proper turbo tyre!!

BTW what happened to the text I sent you about Knockma duathlon? :P

Lucky I have covered my ass with my previous post - my boss decided to jump on an offer from Vodafone and moved us all over from 3 on friday, unfortunetly he didnt realise that it takes at least a week for 3 to unblock the phone so I have had no phone since friday.

Pop me a pm - i presume this was some insulting thrash talk in a vain attempt for you to get some motivation to get you back training again

Whens it on - I am a long way away from the level I was at for last years race.

I brought the young lad up it for the first time on sunday, it was gas he reminded me of me every year, full of vigour and flew up the first hill, started to totter towards the 2nd and then up daddy, up daddy for the rest, I couldn't even get him down off the shoulders for the downhill sections he was so shagged and I wasnt much better, hes a heavy bastard

Jeez, Finn ran 2 laps of it after swimming last weekend :pac:

The duathlon is on the end of the month. I'll pop a post in the main forum and call you both out! ;):D

On the punctures, they're a common occurence with a proper turbo tyre too. I get a couple a year.

• Advertisement

Jeez, Finn ran 2 laps of it after swimming last weekend :pac:

The duathlon is on the end of the month. I'll pop a post in the main forum and call you both out! ;):D

And I presumed he cycled to it as well ;)

Perhaps we will see a first duel between yourself, El D and BTH for western supremacy at Knockma too :cool:

Advertisement