Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting down the spoon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Monday Lunch: I am having a strange cough lately that only comes when I lie down - my Internet doctor tells me this could be indigestion :eek: Have all these years of chilli and garlic finally caught up with me. So having sat up and watched the uncut movie version "A Serbian Film" (90 minutes of uncomfortable viewing to say the least) on the laptop on sunday night. The cough only happened when I went to bed. I was nearly sent to the attic guestroom but a hot whiskey helped. Skipped the morning swim and I couldn't help but go for a run in the afternoon it was so nice. I decided to do a kind of silly recovery run which probably didnt do any good as it wasn't like i had killed myself training over the weekend. 8k @ 5.48 pace. I should have cycled

Tuesday AM: A little bit late for the swim so only 1000m

Tuesday Lunch: Another nice day and with me having not gone near fixing the flat on the turbo, I took off along the regular 20k TT route. The usual mish mash of speeds for me, started off hard, got tired and lost motivation after 10k or so and then realised towards the end of it if I picked it up a little I might get 30kph+ average which is always a good marker for me. So a Cavendish like sprint for the last 200ms got me in dead on 30kph. Not a bad time compared to last years efforts on the same route, the wind was deffo not in my favor this time

Wednesday AM: A little better with the swim, 1500m with the first appearance of a small set, 5 x 108 off 2.20's mostly in on low 1.50's.

Wednesday Lunch: The usual 8k and I said I would throw another 3k hard section into it. The first k was 4.15, not too bad, the 2nd was 4.08 and I was feeling the pinch and the 3rd was all out agony in 4.02. Had to stop and take a few minutes, the heart rate had peaked at 182 which is 1 off my max for the last few years. 8k @ 4.50 AHR - 148. Time to leave a sub 20 minute 5k attempt for another while.

Thursday AM:
    A little bit of messing around with pull bouy and then kickboard, I decided to finish the session off with 400m freestyle. Its always the same, the stroke always feels good after the kickboard. So after 6/7 lengths of steady swimming I decided to pick it up and get my 400m time trial time, again a little cautious and could have gone for home 2 lengths before I did but I was delighted to see I got in under 7 minutes with mostly crap swimming done for months. 396m in 6.52, around 30 seconds off my pb but I will take it

Thursday Lunch:
    Another outdoor cycle for lunch, I will stick to my usual TT route from now - I have now finally realized the value of having all left turns after experimenting with a new route and getting caught loads of times in traffic trying to turn right. 19k in 27.6kph

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

catweazle wrote: »
    So having sat up and watched the uncut movie version "A Serbian Film" (90 minutes of uncomfortable viewing to say the least) on the laptop on sunday night.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Serbian_Film#Plot

Jonah-hill-shock.gif

Christ you are putting on weight mloc - get that breathing right before the swim in Frankfurt :D

Its wasnt as bad as I expected it to be - it actually ticked along quiet nicely until the end where one or two bits were just plain silly. I thought after the cut version would have been a better film, one or two of the uncut parts was purely gratuitous and wouldn't have effected the film.

But certainly you would want a strong stomach - I had heard the newborn bit was in it but I wasn't expecting the bit towards the end - the wife wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes of that movie

I am not surprised you have seen it, I mentioned it in work the following day and every programmer in here had seen it and recommended Cannibal Holocaust to me - are all programmers shock horror fans :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Christ you are putting on weight mloc - get that breathing right before the swim in Frankfurt :D

Its wasnt as bad as I expected it to be - it actually ticked along quiet nicely until the end where one or two bits were just plain silly. I thought after the cut version would have been a better film, one or two of the uncut parts was purely gratuitous and wouldn't have effected the film.

But certainly you would want a strong stomach - I had heard the newborn bit was in it but I wasn't expecting the bit towards the end - the wife wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes of that movie

I am not surprised you have seen it, I mentioned it in work the following day and every programmer in here had seen it and recommended Cannibal Holocaust to me - are all programmers shock horror fans :confused:

Ah Cannibal Holocaust, I have it sitting on a HDD at home but could never bring myself to watch it. The fact that the animals were actually slaughtered in it is disturbing. I find it hard to watch the end of Apocalypse Now knowing that the buffalo was not a clever camera trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

I found it silly in parts but some of it was grim. The bit with his son............rough!!

Must give cannibal holocuast a go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

:eek::eek::eek:

This is disturbing.

Please don't tell me pbgibbo watches this crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Never seen or heard of these 2 films Dory. I have a HDD at home bursting with movies and TV shows. One of these years I'll get around to watching them :pac:

pgibbo wrote: »
    Never seen or heard of these 2 films Dory.

Thank god. A modicum of class has now been restored to this log. ;)

Friday AM: Getting a bit better, planned on doing 8 x 108 of 2.20 ut was feeling grand so went to 10 x 108 instead - 1900 in total.

Friday Lunch: 23k cycle around the local area. Pace - 27.1kph

Saturday Lunch: Did my usual trick of dropping the young lad out to the grannies and cut the run a little back as I was feeling tired. Was trying to go a little slower than usual, was ahead of schedule until the turn for home and was hit with a decent headwind so crawled home. 14k @ 5.28 pace AHR - 138

Sunday Lunch: The brother in law was out for a rare cycle with me so went for an easy 15k with him and then went for another 35k around the local area.

Monday Lunch: Having not gone to a Patrick's day parade in donkeys years we went to a local one in Abbeyknockmoy - a real eye opener for me. A couple of tractors went by to rapturous applause - all I could see that was different from the norm was that they may have had a small Irish flag on it. By the end of it I would guess that every tractor in the area had gone by at some stage or other - ah well the young lad loved it anyways.

I got out for a pedal shortly after - I was tired after a late one last night and after cycling 15k into a big headwind into the outskirts of town, I just turned around and enjoyed the tailwind 30k @ 26.7kph

You really need to start thinking about increasing your bike mileage if you're doing Kenmare. It's a damn tough bike IMO and the run will be torture if you don't get the finger out soon.

• Advertisement

pgibbo wrote: »
    You really need to start thinking about increasing your bike mileage if you're doing Kenmare. It's a damn tough bike IMO and the run will be torture if you don't get the finger out soon.

No need to panic just yet - Just over 23 weeks to go and the Don Fink plan has been fished out of the closer over Paddys Weekend :D

Tuesday AM: Slept in - decided to at least show my face in the pool to get me back in habit of getting up, approx 800ms

Tuesday Lunch: Run around the local loop, 4.56 avr pace HR 139

Wednesday AM: Early 1 hour bike session as I had a long day in Cork/Kerry ahead of me. Havent been in Killarney in years and wasn't overly excited at seeing all the hills in the local area :eek:

Thursday AM: 1600ms in the pool

Thursday Morning: A sly run which I justified with that I was going to be having a late night up in Sligo. Got caught in an unmerciful rain squall, 4.49 pace for 7k AHR 144. The easy running is finally starting to dip under 5 minute kilometer pace

Friday Morning: 1600ms in the pool - I left it a little late, anytime after 7.15 am and you hit traffic coming into Claregalway. I was mad with myself as I should have just got up and gone to the turbo as I would have had more time. Off to Dublin now so only the one session today

Not too many flat sections of road down there

Saturday Afternoon: The new route out around Salthill and Barna Woods, worked out at just over 17k at 5.26 pace. I happened upon a friend walking with the head bowed so a few roars and he gritted the teeth and started into a canter again beside me. I was happy enough to slow down with him as I was at around 5.07 pace at the time which I thought was too fast for a long run. Fair play he stuck out the 4k he had left with me although he looked fit for a heart attack going up Threadmill road. Average heart rate was a little high for the pace I was going at - 148

Sunday Afternoon: Another poor cycling day, with the wives morning run and a family trip to Knockma I had pencilled a bike around lunchtime. However the brother in law unexpectedly arrives over with the ride on and trailer for the "first cut". A year ago it would have been get to it Catweazle but the odd bike ride I have been going out with him yielded a reward where he said head off for an hour. So 1.15 minutes later I arrived back - I would say it was the worst the grass ever was, so long it was still wet and clogging up the rotors........... 2 bloody trailer loads, took just over 4 hours with two lawnmowers on the go. I would have been screwed with just my own push mower. Average pace 27.1kph

Monday AM: One of the first swims of the year that I would say was enjoyable, I reduced the reps from 8 x 108 off 2.20 down to 2.15. Arms were gone after 5 but I managed to talk myself through the last 3. First time I have been out of the pool in a long time satisfied that I worked hard. 2100ms total

Monday Afternoon: Approx 50 minutes on the turbo - I have made a bollocks of changing the flat with the chain all messed up so stuck the road bike up on it. Worked off the Garmin speed magnet which gave me a grand total of 23.5kph average for the 50 minutes, considering I was working hard I assume the flywheel is having a big effect on the speed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Thank god. A modicum of class has now been restored to this log. ;)

Nope, the redneck is back!
    However the brother in law unexpectedly arrives over with the ride on and trailer for the "first cut". A year ago it would have been get to it Catweazle but the odd bike ride I have been going out with him yielded a reward where he said head off for an hour. So 1.15 minutes later I arrived back - I would say it was the worst the grass ever was, so long it was still wet and clogging up the rotors........... 2 bloody trailer loads, took just over 4 hours with two lawnmowers on the go.

Sunday Afternoon: Another poor cycling day, with the wives morning run and a family trip to Knockma I had pencilled a bike around lunchtime. However the brother in law unexpectedly arrives over with the ride on and trailer for the "first cut". A year ago it would have been get to it Catweazle but the odd bike ride I have been going out with him yielded a reward where he said head off for an hour. So 1.15 minutes later I arrived back - I would say it was the worst the grass ever was, so long it was still wet and clogging up the rotors........... 2 bloody trailer loads, took just over 4 hours with two lawnmowers on the go. I would have been screwed with just my own push mower. Average pace 27.1kph

Lawn mower or bike? ;)

Tuesday AM: Another swim set - 4 x 216 off 4.30 and 6 x 108 off 2.15 was the main section, again found the 216's very tough towards the end of each set but muscled my way through 2400m

Tuesday Afternoon: Struggled on this run - hoping it was the tough swim rather than going too fast for the pace I can hold. 8k at 4.53 pace AHR - 153

Wednesday AM: Slept in

Wednesday Afternoon: 50 minutes on the turbo - found holding the 130's heart rate very hard on this although my speed was slightly up at 26.1 kph rather than the 23.5kph of the last one. I should turn that panel off on the Garmin on the turbo as its not accurate or consistent

A little bit of guilt that night and some brief consideration should I head to the pool or the turbo after the kids went to bed to make up for the missed morning ..........I didn't but that's the first time I have even considered a catch up session so things are starting to move in the right direction

Thursday AM: 16 x 108 off 2.15 was the main set here, was too fast on the first couple coming in at mid 1.40's, the next few were a little slower but really struggling as I paid the price, the last 8 sets or so I found a slightly slower rhythm coming in at 2 minutes on the button which seemed much more maintainable. I will be looking at off 2.10 soon hopefully. Another good session. 2600m

Thursday Lunch:
    Rattled by the wife stealing my Garmin and me seeing figures of 13k and 5.30 pace when she handed it back over with only a few weeks of running after 2 years of a break, i decided to increase my run to 10k and keep a good pace. Couldnt find the Ipod holder so I went off tuneless, I enjoyed the novelty of hearing the breathing for a change, by the turnaround my breathing was still steady and deep although I could guess my current heart rate was rising over 155. I pushed the 2nd half back and the k's started to come down gradually in the 4.40's, 4.30's and the last was at 4.18. Fastest run in a long time and I enjoyed leaving the Garmin down at the table and not switching it off. Up yours Mrs C...... 10k @ 4.43 pace AHR - 150

Friday AM:
    I decided to chance going down to 4.15 for the 216's as there was only 3 of them. SO 2 x 396 off 8.30 both in on 7.2x, 3 x 216 off 4.15 in around 3.55-4.00 and 6 x 108 off 2.15 in around 2.00 - 2300m

So all in all a good week so far, delighted I have finally started to get the finger out in the pool - now lest see how I get on at the weekend :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

Up yours Mrs C...... 10k @ 4.43 pace AHR - 150

nothing like a bit of competition from your better half for motivation.. mrs woody is now doing club swims and even though shes in a faster lane i find myself putting a bit more effort in.. did a turbo session together last night and there was a lot more effort put in than the ones ive been doing on my own.. oh crap shes working way harder than me.. cant have that.. by the end we were both wrecked

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Tuesday AM: Another swim set - 4 x 216 off 4.30 and 6 x 108 off 2.15 was the main section, again found the 216's very tough towards the end of each set but muscled my way through 2400m

Thursday AM: 16 x 108 off 2.15 was the main set here, was too fast on the first couple coming in at mid 1.40's, the next few were a little slower but really struggling as I paid the price, the last 8 sets or so I found a slightly slower rhythm coming in at 2 minutes on the button which seemed much more maintainable. I will be looking at off 2.10 soon hopefully. Another good session. 2600m

Friday AM:[/B] I decided to chance going down to 4.15 for the 216's as there was only 3 of them. SO 2 x 396 off 8.30 both in on 7.2x, 3 x 216 off 4.15 in around 3.55-4.00 and 6 x 108 off 2.15 in around 2.00 - 2300m

Reading your swim sessions hurts my head :D I'm trying to do conversions from 108m pace to 100m pace.

woody1 wrote: »

nothing like a bit of competition from your better half for motivation.. mrs woody is now doing club swims and even though shes in a faster lane i find myself putting a bit more effort in.. did a turbo session together last night and there was a lot more effort put in than the ones ive been doing on my own.. oh crap shes working way harder than me.. cant have that.. by the end we were both wrecked

When the little one was in hospital as she was so early - everyone even my own family commented that she was a little fighter like her mother, shes as tough as her mother, she has her mothers determination and strength etc etc. Not a single mention of me....its not only ye boardies that think I am a useless bastard :o
    griffin100 wrote: »
    Reading your swim sessions hurts my head :D I'm trying to do conversions from 108m pace to 100m pace.

With 6 turns as well every 108 meters it makes it even more complicated, probably works out around the same - I would expect it would be certainly far easier than a 50 metre pool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

When the little one was in hospital as she was so early - everyone even my own family commented that she was a little fighter like her mother, shes as tough as her mother, she has her mothers determination and strength etc etc. Not a single mention of me....its not only ye boardies that think I am a useless bastard :o

Yyyeeeaaaahhhhh!!!!!

And nicely done on that run. I did a little "steady" effort on Wednesday. 155 hr yielded a cracking 4:59 per km pace. You're miles ahead of me on that front!!

Rattled by the wife stealing my Garmin and me seeing figures of 13k and 5.30 pace when she handed it back over with only a few weeks of running after 2 years of a break, i decided to increase my run to 10k and keep a good pace.

Must be the fancy new runners. :cool:

I did tell you I could make you faster ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Rumour has it this came back to bite you in the ass over the weekend ;):D

CWI'm going out for a cycle
    Mrs CWI don't think so. Up yours pal!!

:eek::D:p

BTH wrote: »
    Rumour has it this came back to bite you in the ass over the weekend ;):D

CWI'm going out for a cycle
    Mrs CWI don't think so. Up yours pal!!
    :eek::D:p

Yourself and Gibbo are like two women gossiping :rolleyes:

Saturday Afternoon:
    The theme of a good training week continued, 18k at 5.01 pace AHR 147. The first 2k was at 4.45 pace and I thought the Garmin would correct itself but in the end of it all yes I was moving very well and had to rein it back a little. Felt very strong throughout this.

Sunday AM:
    As young Eugene has already alluded to......Disaster strikes - the plan was a bike over to see the start of the Tri Lakes duathlon and then another hour or so around that area and then back home again.

However having been away at stags for the last two years for mothers day I was "encouraged" to consider perhaps spending some family time and placing a higher "importance" on spoiling herself on that momentous day. So needless to say bike was cancelled :(

Now how spending 3/4 hours out cleaning the shed qualifies as family time I dont know but I do have a nice clean shed now.

The upshot at least was that a concrete plan for the Sunday cycle has now been agreed where as long as I am present and accounted for by 11.30am from now on I can do what I want. The disadvantage is its much harder for me to make excuses to dodge Gibbo now.

So a poor Sunday but was happy with how the rest of the week went

Roll on next Sunday!!! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

I seem to have developed a pattern now where, every year, I look out at the lawn and think to myself that May will come soon enough. Then, long before any changing of clocks or indeed any semblance of warm weather, catweazle pops up on boards talking about cutting the grass. From that point on, my spring is ruined. I can no longer look out dismissively at the lawn as I can now see it growing right in front of my eyes.
    Just so that I can have a less guilt-ridden run into summer, will you please refrain from mentioning anything about grass cutting on this log for 2015?

By the way, when I went out to the shed to have a look at the lawnmower, I noticed that the pull cord has come off and the whole thing is in bad need of a service. If you were to provide lawn-cutting services, I would be very interested!:)

ronanmac wrote: »
    I seem to have developed a pattern now where, every year, I look out at the lawn and think to myself that May will come soon enough. Then, long before any changing of clocks or indeed any semblance of warm weather, catweazle pops up on boards talking about cutting the grass. From that point on, my spring is ruined. I can no longer look out dismissively at the lawn as I can now see it growing right in front of my eyes.
    Just so that I can have a less guilt-ridden run into summer, will you please refrain from mentioning anything about grass cutting on this log for 2015?

By the way, when I went out to the shed to have a look at the lawnmower, I noticed that the pull cord has come off and the whole thing is in bad need of a service. If you were to provide lawn-cutting services, I would be very interested!:)

spring-is-coming.jpg?w=497&h=381

I would feel almost obliged to provide lawn cutting services to you - your fingers are your livelihood - I shudder to think about the potential for grass stains to sully your quill and parchment.

However I must pass on this - I feel the topography of Carroroe would call for a Strimmer to deal with the rocks and Marrem Grass.

I will mention you to the brother in law though

I really hate missing a late week update as my birdbrain completely forgets what I have done - not for me ledgers or excel sheets of training details

Monday AM and Lunch:
    Trying to catch up with no cycling yesterday I schedule two 50 minute sessions in

Monday Night:
    I hate swimming after missing 3 or 4 days so a quick dip to get me on track for tomorrow

Tuesday AM:
    Both human alarm clocks slept in today so only 1000ms straight

Tuesday Lunch: The wife had the juice in the Garmin used up so no idea of pace, probably around the 5 minute kilometre mark

Wednesday AM: Back to the plan, main set was 3 x 400 off 8.30 which wasn't too bad

Wednesday Lunch: 50 minutes on the turbo

Thursday: I was supposed to be going to Belfast but got put back early doors so missed the morning swim. The run at lunch involved me heading off with a new trance album, I only knew one or two songs on it and the rest was way too fast techno for me, however the fast tempo did my run no harm. Started out hard first 3k at low 4.20 pace, backed off for four k as I started to feel the burn and then pushed hard for the last 3 when I felt a little recovered. 10k @ 4.36 pace, no idea of heart rate as I forgot the strap but would guess it was in the 170's for the last 3k. Surprisingly I am beginning to enjoy the thursday runs :confused:

Friday: Headed to the pool more for a quick shave befoe heading to some meetings in Dublin, think it was 600ms

Saturday:
    I had planned to cut back a little after 17 and 18k runs the last few weekends. The plan was 15 but I wasn't enjoying it and felt tired from the start, probably the remnants from the fast thursday run. I was going past the house at 13k so I left it at that. 13k at 5.05 pace 149 AHR

Sunday:
    A few emails passed between the Galway lads but getting up for a 6am start to get over to Clarinbridge for 7 was quickly forgotten about when I saw the rotten weather. It turned out to be alright mid to late afternoon but very windy - however I had my turbo session well over with at that stage. 2 hours 20 minutes on the turbo. I dont like these sunday early doors session - I am caught for too many sunday jobs being around the house all day

Only reason I was up at "god-forsaken-o'clock" was because someone here-to-forwards-known as 'Cinders' announced that they'd to be home by 11:30.

Therefore I put in for planning to go out early and be back early. Had I attempted to modify the terms of the granted planning permission it was quite possible that the Board of appeal could have turned down my application intoto. Therefore it was better to grin and bear it with an early out even though the rain squall that hammered down as I hit Gort was nothing short of biblical.

• Advertisement

AKW wrote: »
    Therefore it was better to grin and bear it with an early out even though the rain squall that hammered down as I hit Gort was nothing short of biblical.

After your crying off fiasco in Knockma last year you have regained a small amount of manliness in my eyes. I peeped out at around 7.00 and saw sheets of rain and howling wind so fair play to you for going out in that

Typical Ireland it turned out to be a lovely day in the afternoon albeit with a nasty wind, made the barbecue very difficult I had to retreat into the shed with it

Advertisement