Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting down the spoon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

catweazle wrote: »
    After your crying off fiasco in Knockma last year you have regained a small amount of manliness in my eyes. I peeped out at around 7.00 and saw sheets of rain and howling wind so fair play to you for going out in that

Never mind the going out, it's the staying out that builds the character. Could have done with the BFG up front to hide behind in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I'm thinking of going around the lake on Sunday if either of you are interested

pgibbo wrote: »
    I'm thinking of going around the lake on Sunday if either of you are interested

Which lake? Or am I showing how much of a blow in I am by having to ask that?

Guess Corrib? 125k

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

AKW wrote: »

:eek::eek::eek:

Let me map out the three coffee stops I will need :o

:eek::eek::eek:

Let me map out the three coffee stops I will need :o

Coffee stops on a bike ride!! :eek: You need a Snickers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

How is the cycle around the lake?

I went up to see my brother finish in the Connemarathon yesterday and I was originally planning to park up in Oranmore or Claregalway and do a lap of the lake. Was running a bit late so ended up driving to Oughterard and cycling from there. Cycled the marathon route in reverse then afterwards(bloody hell the wind)

Glad I did I really wouldn't have fancied cycling the N59 out of Galway. The stretches of the N59 I did cycle were scary. I honestly had more close shaves with cars overtaking yesterday than I normally would in a year of cycling.

Two with uncoming cars were particularly bad couple others bit close for comfert and one where a car went to over take me coming up to a right hand bend where I could see the oncoming car. Only for me moving out and putting my arm out he was straight into him with no time to react. And then several of the usual overtaking on blind bends where while giving me plenty of space neither them or I had a clue if there was an oncoming car.

Still enjoyable day out was in good humour after the brother's savage effort even if I did nearly miss it as he was nearly 10mins faster than he predicted:). Will go back lovely part of the country to cycle in just need to figure out some of the hillier routes that avoid the N59

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

the only real cycle of a lake is lough derg. you galway lads can call it whatever you want, but unless you're going around the proper lake it means nothing

(funny however that the distance around the proper lake is the same as your puddle...)

edited cause my geography is just pure awful

Yes, the Corrib. It's still a lake mossym! :D

@Ryath, I always go towards Headford and come back in by Oughterard as the Headford road is a disaster. I prefer to be on that road early when there's little to no traffic.

Bring a flask CW and drink on the go :pac:

Ryath wrote: »
    Still enjoyable day out was in good humour after the brother's savage effort even if I did nearly miss it as he was nearly 10mins faster than he predicted:). Will go back lovely part of the country to cycle in just need to figure out some of the hillier routes that avoid the N59

You should try the coast road from Salthill out west now thats dangerous! I will allow AKW the pleasure of a good rant but if we were able to bypass the vested interests we would have a greenway all the way out the N59 to Clifden - however I don't expect to see it in my lifetime even with all the recent good news announcements coming out.

I was wondering how you seemed to know Zicos time before anyone else ;)
    mossym wrote: »
    the only real cycle of a lake is lough derg. you galway lads can call it whatever you want, but unless you're going around the proper lake it means nothing

(funny however that the distance around the proper lake is the same as your puddle...)

edited cause my geography is just pure awful

I would have to agree with you Mossy, the villages and towns one must go through around Lough Derg practically roll off the tongue - I cant believe I have never heard of it :confused:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Yes, the Corrib. It's still a lake mossym! :D

my poor attempt at humour was derailed by my embarrassingly shocking knowledge of irish geography. always been a weak point.

great sense of direction, so i always get to where i am going, i jsut never know where it is:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

You should try the coast road from Salthill out west now thats dangerous! I will allow AKW the pleasure of a good rant but if we were able to bypass the vested interests we would have a greenway all the way out the N59 to Clifden - however I don't expect to see it in my lifetime even with all the recent good news announcements coming out.

I was wondering how you seemed to know Zicos time before anyone else ;)

Not a fan of driving in Galway at all two of my closest calls have been roundabouts up there. I'm sure a lot of the bad driving is the tourists and not the locals though:P

I'd generally avoid N roads when I'm by myself unless there is a good hard shoulder. In most part of the country there are alternative back roads but with geography the around Connemara it's hard to avoid them.

A greenway from Galway would be class, went to Achill last summer on the Mayo greenway. A Galway one would probably be even more popular.

I would have to agree with you Mossy, the villages and towns one must go through around Lough Derg practically roll off the tongue - I cant believe I have never heard of it :confused:

From Tipp myself so don't normally think of them as strange but when you put them in a list like that!

Ryath wrote: »
    Not a fan of driving in Galway at all two of my closest calls have been roundabouts up there. I'm sure a lot of the bad driving is the tourists and not the locals though:P

Locals or tourists the driving in Galway is absolutely attrocious. The only thing worse than the driving is the parking.

You should try the coast road from Salthill out west now thats dangerous! I will allow AKW the pleasure of a good rant but if we were able to bypass the vested interests we would have a greenway all the way out the N59 to Clifden

It's happening and it will in my lifetime so you are safe enough :)

So its settled?

Early doors next Sunday spin around Lough Corrib, Ireland's second largest lake. (no, Mossy Nr 1 is not Lough Derg)

Re the Greenways I think Cinders is referring to my activity on Facebook.

A full greenway network across all of Ireland is coming together and expect in the next few years for this to finally link up into a facility for everyone to use.

The objections to the Sligo / Mayo greenway are laughable. Rail needed to bring business and infrastructure to the west, Greenways only used part of the year by seasonal tourists etc.

I've a blog post in the offing where I did a whole cost analysis on the Athenry - Limerick rail link and how ludicrous the whole thing is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Never mind the going out, it's the staying out that builds the character. Could have done with the BFG up front to hide behind in fairness.

Is a "BFG" anything like a "BFF"?? :confused:

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Is a "BFG" anything like a "BFF"?? :confused:

Nope. This guy is 6'4", 17ish stone an ex rower tree trunk legs and a powerhouse on the bike. Perfect to be tucked behind on a windy day. However a second baby has decimated his training :)

Monday: Nothing - the training benefit they call maternity has finally ended. So no early morning or lunchtime training on mondays anyways from now on.

Tuesday AM: Approx 1700m in the pool

Tuesday Lunch: Time to start the dreaded intervals. A nice gentle introduction today with 3 x 800 pace 4.10 with 1 minute recoveries. 1st and 3rd against the wind and huffed and puffed away at 4.05 pace and the 2nd one with the wind was a nice cruise at 3.55 pace. I never liked this format of running - it goes against my lazy nature

Wednesday AM: A little better in the pool, left it a little late as I have to be home earlier so only 6 x 216 off 4.30 as the main set. 1900m total

Wednesday Lunch:
    50 minutes on the turbo with the last episode of Breaking Bad season 4

Thursday AM: With a trip to Limerick tomorrow I didn't want to miss the friday cycle so swapped it with a swim - 50 minutes this morning

Thursday Lunch:
    Another tempo run but towards the end you couldnt call this a tempo as I was up towards my max in the 180's. The usual went out hard for three at low 4.20 pace started to seize up but instead of dropping off the pace altogether for a few and going hard again for the last few I kept it fairly steady and pushed hard for the last 1.5k. Came in at 4.32 pace for the 10k and average heart rate 164/183. Was well whacked - hope this doesn't effect the weekend long run like it did last week or I will have to push the pace out a bit

Thursday AM: With a trip to Limerick tomorrow I didn't want to miss the friday cycle so swapped it with a swim - 50 minutes this morning

You cycling down? Call in til I see what I can tempt you with :D

You cycling down? Call in til I see what I can tempt you with :D

I might on way back - you in Limerick or Oranmore?

PS Did you hear anything about Galway city to Moycullen cycle lane, first I hear of it but it would be great if its coming in - check this out Ryath, just Moycullen to Oughterard now

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0410/607989-funding-for-new-off-road-cycle-routes/

Maybe if you followed the stuff I put on Facebook you'd be up to speed with the news :p

Starting Oughterard to Clifden €400k investment. Happy days!

In Limerick tomorrow. Would have cycled down with you.

• Advertisement

I seriously doubt CW cycled down and is going to cycle back today. I may be wrong but.........:pac:

I seriously doubt CW cycled down and is going to cycle back today. I may be wrong but.........:pac:

Sorry I didn't call in Sean, I was trying to keep my speed up over 35kph till I got to UL. Some bad stretches on the road in the hard shoulder from the little I noticed

Friday: A dip and then quick shave before heading to Limerick for the day. 1000m

Saturday: A solid run in great weather - I enjoyed this one, heart rate nice and steady and pace very consistent at 5.00 the whole way through. Legs weren't giving out for a change once I went over 15k. 20k @ 5.01 pace - AHR 146

Sunday: 77k of staring at the DHB logo on Pgibbos arse. 3 x 30 minutes sets of his IM pace and the rest easy which didn't sound so bad if his Ironman pace wasn't my Olympic pace :o

Besides my arse and balls killing me - the first 2 actually weren't too bad as long as I didn't lose his wheel and the 3rd the last 5 minutes turned into Hell on Earth but I am convinced he pushed it a little once we hit the drag on the N17 turn. Decided with only 5 minutes left to tough it out but the legs were gone and I wouldnt have been able to do a 4th one.

Home and hosed by 10.30 - I then offered to bring the wife and kids for coffee but instead I was plonked with the two of them for the day while she went shopping. Perhaps I didnt eat enough when I got in but I was like a corpse all day until after I got the Sunday Roast into me that evening.

Watched the new Thor movie last night then - I didn't like the first one and this one was no better

So, how is Pgibbo's arse to draft behind? :D

I'll check the numbers when I upload the file but I don't think the numbers changed for the last 5 minutes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

my arse and balls

balls and arse ... aka your 'barse' ... a funny phrase employed by a guy I bike with regularly ... always makes me laugh.

'My barse is killing me'

Monday am: 1000m swim. I was half expecting to have to go to Dublin later that day (I didnt) I had given my slot up to mrs c in any event. I was in no mood to go on the bike again after yesterday and I wasn't too bothered about a run anyways.

Tuesday am: I have started to slack off in the pool again but today wasn't too bad I suppose, 12 x 108 off 2:15. 2000m total

Tuesday lunch: increased the intervals from 3 to 5 this week, will keep at 4:10 pace for another while yet. 5 x 800 with one minute recovery all around the 4:05 pace

Wednesday am: Belfast today so did a straight 1000m before heading off. I was well impressed at the promotion of the upcoming Giro around the streets of Belfast, large murals festooned everywhere I haven't seen much down south at all. the client is ulster rugby and he very helpfully suggested he might need another meeting on May 9th (he likes his cycling). I know I am supposed to be bringing the young lad to the zoo that weekend and taking in the Dublin leg but I would assume the team time trial would be a far bigger spectacle. A tour of the new stadium after the meetings and I thought I had scored a go on the anti gravity treadmill but I was scared off when I heard the price of one, I would probably break it. They have some set up, never saw a gym as impressive as theirs before

Thursday am: very late home so was tired during this, tried a few sets off 2:10 which wasn't too bad so I might take it down next week 1500m in total

Thursday evening: my lunch run was scuppered so I got out after work, tempo Thursday but I pulled a stitch half way through so stopped at 5k- pace 4:30. Took about 90 seconds and then back again at 4.28 pace. Overall 10k at 4.29 pace AHR 163 max 180

So the pool you swim in is 18 meters, correct? But is it really 18 meters, or is it actually 20 yards?? :confused:

Dory Dory wrote: »
    So the pool you swim in is 18 meters, correct? But is it really 18 meters, or is it actually 20 yards?? :confused:

Its billed as 18ms on their website anyways. The only time I ever hear yards over here Dory is when listening to American golf commentators. We are still clinging on to miles and stone out in the country areas but yards is more or less gone at this stage.

Speaking of which the language of triathletes is kms - perhaps as your A race is a triathlon this year you should stop me having to divide x 5 and multiply x 8 every time I see mph on your log. ;)

Speaking of which the language of triathletes is kms - perhaps as your A race is a triathlon this year you should stop me having to divide x 5 and multiply x 8 every time I see mph on your log. ;)

Are you worried that DD is going faster than you on the bike??? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Are you worried that DD is going faster than you on the bike??? :pac:

Reckon that's a given. I have a kitchen table that moves faster than CWs bike.

Advertisement