Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting down the spoon

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

8 hours of running each. ouch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Monday: Handily I managed to get out for a quick swim that evening which usually sets me up for the following morning, otherwise after no swimming since thursday its a struggle. 1100m straight

Tuesday AM: A little better this morning 2200m with 5 x 108 off 2.15 and 5 x 108 off 2.10 in the midst of it

Tuesday Lunch: A little bit pressed for time so only 6 x 800 instead of the planned 8. While the hope was I running like a Thompson Gazelle after an easy weekend it was a real struggle. However I did realise I was running a little faster than usual all the same, around 3.50 pace with the wind and 3.55 against so not all bad

Wednesday AM: Enjoyed this swim the plan was 5 x 396 off 8.30 but after the first one came in at high 7.20;s I thought the long recovery was tearing the arse out of it a little so I reduced to 8 minutes. All done around high 7.20/low 7.30 mark. Wasn't too bad could have done a few more but perhaps not another 5 at that pace

Nothing done later the bosses car broke down so had to wait around Galway city and give him mine

Thursday AM: With no car till the weekend it was high time I did a bike session anyways - Hell Hath No Fury, just the two x 20 minutes with the break in between, a reasonable effort wouldn't say all out though

Thursday Lunch: I am blaming the bike this morning but hands on the knees again at that damned drag at 8k. Was going at 4.27 pace at that stage but had nothing left in the legs, stopped the clock took a minute or two and then trotted home for 4.32 pace overall

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

What was the purpose of the run after the 2x20 on Thursday? Was it a tempo run?

pgibbo wrote: »
    What was the purpose of the run after the 2x20 on Thursday? Was it a tempo run?

Yeah thursdays i try and do a tempo run - the 2 x 20 that morning would certainly not go down as a balls out session.

I didnt want to go out on busy roads and I do like watching something on the turbo to allay boredom so I said a reasonable effort at Hell Hath No Fury would be more beneficial than watching season 5 of Breaking Bad as it would only turn into an easy pedal.

Given the run is your key session on a Thursday, you should consider doing it as the first session if doing a bike the same day. Otherwise you risk a re-occurrence of what happened this week

You about on Sunday for a pedal?

• Advertisement

Nah I wouldn't normally do a bike on thursdays, I am a bit snookered with the boss having my car so I cant get to the pool.

Sunday - the plan is to cycle to Castlebar (pray for a tailwind) and collect the car off him - not the most exciting of spins but you are more than welcome to see if you can work around into that

Friday AM: 2200 in the pool. Did a set of 5 x 108 off 2.15 / 5 x 108 off 2.10 and 5 x 108 off 2.05 with a minute break between them. Not too bad - if I get a good weeks swimming in this week I will look at taking them down 5 seconds each

Friday Lunch: 13k hard around the TT route and then locked it down for the other 7k as I have done miserable long runs the following day after a hard friday cycle. 20k average pace was 29.4kph

Saturday: My legs were still a little bit stiff after yesterday but that's more not being used to the TT bike I would guess. The run ended up being 17.25k which is around what I wanted but its not as comfortable as it was a few weeks ago - my own fault as I haven't been getting the distance in as much as a month or two ago. Pushed the last 2k hard as I wanted to get the pace into the 4's. 17.25k at 4.58 pace AHR - 151

Sunday: I got my wish and while it didn't feel like much of a tailwind - it certainly wasn't a headwind. Not long into it I regretted bringing the TT bike as I had to bring a packback to change when I got up there, the shoulders were hanging off me by Milltown. The one I have isn't great so that gives me an excuse to keep my eye out for a new one

I have been driving Galway-Castlebar for almost 15 years and you would be surprised how well you would know the route once you cycle it - practically down to the trees. I was fine for most of the way but started getting tired around Balla, I was humming and hawing would I stop somewhere for some food but with just under 20k to go I didn't bother.

A few heavy showers but nothing too bad - turned into a lovely day on the drive home.

75k in total and my back was in ribbons by the end of it

Whatever about your back, at least you didn't have to push your 2 up the hill outside my gaff yesterday ;) :pac: No wonder she's running well

Did you do the 75k without any food?

pgibbo wrote: »
    Whatever about your back, at least you didn't have to push your 2 up the hill outside my gaff yesterday ;) :pac: No wonder she's running well

Did you do the 75k without any food?

Its the amount of trains and food she has to pack to keep Pudsy amused for an hours walking that's the majority of the weight.

No food on the way but a fine hearty breakfast before i left

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Hello...hello? Have you forgotten something? Like a certain swim? I need info....or I can just start making things up! ;)

• Advertisement

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Hello...hello? Have you forgotten something? Like a certain swim? I need info....or I can just start making things up! ;)

Well as I told you AKW wimped out - he booked a holiday to France on that date to get out of it.

I would rather wait and see do we get a bit more than just a link to a registration page before I get you to part with your hard earned money. Too many of these seem to appear and then just as swiftly disappear and it can be difficult to get refunded. There is nothing about organization, insurance, even the route yet :confused:

However the pool is going a little better these days with the 4k hanging over me :eek:

Not as good a week as I had hoped :rolleyes:

Monday: I tend not to be able to do anything on mondays usually, I managed a quick 1000m straight in the pool as I woke up super early and I wrangled a 5k run at 5 minute pace in the evening as I knew I wouldnt be able to get out till Wednesday again

Tuesday: Nothing, one of my longest days travelling and working in ages. Left the house at 7am and traipsed Cork and Kerry - not home till near midnight. Awful hilly in Kerry ;)

Wednesday: While I was awake early enough with the kids I was shagged tired so dodged a swim. I did however get my repeats in, was happy enough with these, I had nearly talked myself out of the last 2 but was delighted after when I knuckled down and got through them. 8 x 800m at 4 minute pace with 1 minute recovery. 8k total

Thursday AM: Finally a trip to the pool, having not really swam since last friday and forgetting my watch, I ended up just swimming 2.2k in the time I had

Thursday Lunch: With no Garmin mount on the TT bike yet, I heard a beep in my back pocket at around 12k, balls I hope thats not my battery dead. It was :mad:

So no idea of pace - assume it was around 30kph

Friday AM: 1500ms in pool with 5 x 108 off 2.15, 4 x 108 off 2.10 and 4 x 108 off 2.05. Not sure if I will get anything in later, Belfast again next tuesday and nothing done for it.

Not so sure how the weekend will go either, Mrs C away with the girls......again! I should be able to bring in the mother for saturdays long run but I am snookered for sunday, will all depend on what time she gets back at.

Saturday Lunch: With as I expected no afternoon session yesterday and a smallish window for some training (wanted to be back before the kids woke up) I did a mish mash of half tempo half long run. Did the dog on it slightly it was pissing rain and I set out to do an hour but I was enjoying it(I have always enjoyed running in the rain). My long runs have usually been pegged at around the 5 minute k level but I pushed it a little today and was around the 4.45 mark. 4.40's has always been a nice pace for me when I am running well seems much more natural than 5:00's. 16.5k @ 4.45 and a bonus that my lazy kids were still asleep when I got back so no pursed lips from the mother

Sunday Afternoon: My hungover wife didn't return till 3ish so with me having to be in front of a laptop at 5 so I only did 50k. While the usual laziness hit me as I was debating would I go out at all - I enjoyed it once I got out. No real speed or anything but I was fairly solid down on the aero bars for most of it - perhaps the odd set of planks I do when I remember are having an effect.

Another bit of a messy week with another long day in Belfast tomorrow, no real leeway to stick something extra in today to make up for it so it looks like repeats put off till wednesday again - hoping to do 10 x 800 this week anyways so the longer I leave it the better

Weight check on the mother electronic scales, pre long run 76.4kgs / post long run 74.8kgs. If I can continue my food discipline I will get mrs C to start ironing the K-Swiss twopiece :p

Boss: Can you do a presentation at a conference in Westport on June 28th Catweazle: Yes Sir

Something was nagging at me all day after and I realized thats Kilkee - balls I am out :mad:

Must have a look at the calendar and see if I can work something else in - my initial thoughts are why bother - isn't the Lost Sheep enough - definitely I race to train - one race a year seems to keep me happy.

Mid July to early August is out due to holidays and I am not too keen on doing races so close to Kenmare so it may well be Westport perhaps which seems convenient on June 21st - oh wait I have a 4km swim that day hmmmmm

Anyways besides that

Monday AM: Another extra early morning to be back home early, 1400m with 3 x 108 off 2.15/ 3 x 108 off 2.10 and 3 x 108 off 2.05 with no break

Monday Evening: This session wasn't expected but I was delighted to get it in as it took the pressure off for the rest of the week. The plan was 8k easy to keep my eye in for repeats on wednesday but after lolloping along the first k at 5 minute pace I gradually decided I was feeling good and increased the pace each kilometre. I was feeling great until the last .5k but I did see the pace for that .5k was 3.44 so I wasnt surprised I was buckling. So it ended up being a tempo run that I was going to struggle to get in later in the week 8k @ 4.28 pace

Tuesday AM: I got up super early again and did a quick dip in the pool before heading to Belfast 4 x 396m off 8 minutes all around the 7.30's. 1800m

Wednesday AM: Another 1800m in the pool, was late home last night so it was a tired lazy swim with 2 x 396 off 8 thrown in at the end

Wednesday Lunch: A rare brick session - nice day - I was regretting throwing on a long sleeved sweater for the bike as I was roasting but was happy enough to see 31.3kph for the 20k route coming from a steady effort. The 3k run was a nightmare, flew off and was comfortable at 4.15 pace for the first k but spent the next 2 sticking my fingers in my sides trying to work out a nasty stitch that I couldnt get rid of. 3k @ 4.23 pace. My first outing with the Zoots this year - love those shoes - was a litle worried would the plantar niggle come back wearing them but no problems

Thursday AM: A little ironic seeing as I am in the best shape so far this year but turning, the back of the swim shorts ripped open. The winter months of pouring myself into them must have finally taken its toll. So 600m and then a tight buttock clenching waddle to the changing room

Thursday Lunch: The upshot was that my legs were in great form for the repeats, 10 x 800m @ 4.00 pace with 1 minute recovery gotten through in fine fettle, I am slowly beginning to enjoy these sessions. I think speed wise I am now quicker than I ever was, I don't remember these being so comfortable coming up to Craughwell last year, however speed endurance isn't as good as last year yet

Repeats Advice Hint: I have a nice 800m stretch which I would like to keep, however I cant just keep upping the repeats every few weeks. I think 10 is hitting boredom threshold

Should I (bearing in mind with Kilkee gone its more or less all about running a 1/2 marathon in Kenmare)

• Keep on increasing the repeats
    • Decrease the recovery time
    • Bring the pace of these repeats down further eg 3.55 pace
    • Increase the repeat distance eg 4 x 2k
    Is there still a place for these at all - from previous experiences at 1/2 Ironman races I would be delighted with running sub 1.45. Are they still of benefit - bearing in mind that if I continue improving throughout the summer I would look at trying do a fast 1/2 marathon - perhaps Galway in early October

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

sorry to hear about kilkee, noticed in the last week or so there is suddenly a lot of people withdrawing, always happens as it gets closer and conflicts start to arise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

catweazle wrote: »
    Boss: perhaps Galway in early October

Galway -Shadowman ??

I plan on that one, you should; the company would be great :D

mossym wrote: »
    sorry to hear about kilkee, noticed in the last week or so there is suddenly a lot of people withdrawing, always happens as it gets closer and conflicts start to arise

Ya if i was running a sucessful race that sells out straight away i would be offering more entries than capacity - you always will lose a decent % to work, injury and people who don't do the training for it
    BennyMul wrote: »
    Galway -Shadowman ??

I plan on that one, you should; the company would be great :D

Nope August 3rd I will be lying on a sunbed please god, wont be back till the 5th so I miss Loughrea as well. The only thing I can see on the calendar in that month is Sligo Olympic that half interests me and isn't to close to Kenmare.

July - I am gone from the 18th so miss the Galway aquathon which would have suited me.

However now that I look a little closer Tri Lakes Quiet man on the 29th might be a runner, I would expect the conference wont need to be an overnight and it would be nice to support the local clubs race. Now all I need to do is talk to the mothers - wife away again that weekend - that woman is out more than Paris Hilton :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Time to cut the housekeeping money, that'll stop her going out ;)

So, I know I sound like a broken record....but how sure are you that this pool you swim in is 18 meters? My gut tells me it is actually 20 yards. I mean, who would build a pool 18 meters long? Who does that? It's sordid, twisted, and just not right from a math and "nice round numbers" standpoint. Do you have access to a measuring tape? Would you mind checking the measurement for us to finally put this issue to rest? ;)

And you mention the 4k swim? :)

And finally, any chance your tight @ssed waddle to the changing room was caught on tape?? :D

AKW wrote: »
    Time to cut the housekeeping money, that'll stop her going out ;)

The dirty socialite probably earns more money than me :rolleyes:
    So, I know I sound like a broken record....but how sure are you that this pool you swim in is 18 meters? My gut tells me it is actually 20 yards. I mean, who would build a pool 18 meters long? Who does that? It's sordid, twisted, and just not right from a math and "nice round numbers" standpoint. Do you have access to a measuring tape? Would you mind checking the measurement for us to finally put this issue to rest? ;)

And you mention the 4k swim? :)

And finally, any chance your tight @ssed waddle to the changing room was caught on tape?? :D

Typical Ireland, gives the length in metres and the depth in yards, my old pool was 15ms long in Castlebar, a good push off the wall and you were practically turning again

http://www.claregalwayhotel.ie/gym-facilities.html

I doubt my measuring tape goes that long, would you accept a garmin measurement if I walk along beside it outside the building

• Advertisement

catweazle wrote: »

I'm not buying any of this meter/metre mumbo jumbo. I'm sending you a real measuring tool - a yard stick!!!

You about for a pedal on Sunday? If so we can discuss your run queries.

Friday AM: 1800m in the pool

Friday Lunch: 20k on the TT bike around the local loop - all easy enough

Saturday Evening: I am turning into a real creature of habit and I wasn't happy about getting out so late with a full lunch still sloshing around in my belly. I had hoped for 20k again but with the wife held up at a funeral I only got 18k in the end. I went past the house at 17.3k but I brazened out the dirty look as I ran past the house for another 350ms to round it to 18k.

One benefit from Europe is the many good looking Eastern European hairdressers. "Would Sir like his eyebrows trimmed" - yes why not I thought. But defying nature like this bit me in the ass later when I could hardly see during the run through sweat rolling into my eyes. Nature has given me thick eyebrows for a reason I decided.

So 18k at 4.57 pace - a bit of a slog but got it done

Sunday Morning: Out with Gibbo and I knew early on I wouldn't survive it today. An hour easy and then 2 x 45 work. I was shagged after 20 minutes so got through the first 45 minutes and then shagged off on him for a Lucozade at the shop and a less punishing cycle home.

We had some nice fast pieces of road with a tailwind and I was enjoying the speed he had us up to. Just over 70k in total

I must admit I laughed I was just going out the door that morning and the wife heard a text message coming into me. I hope thats not Paul - it is ya why. Please tell me you are not going out cycling with him - you promised you would go out for dinner with me tonight. You will be lying on the couch like a zombie for the day if you go with him.

Poor old Paul - I had to reassure her that Paul was going easy that day and that he wont ruin a rare night out with her

Monday Afternoon: Needless to say the night out went well but I was suffering like a dog. I was on a promise to get Snuggles and Buttons back from the mothers before the 2pm nap. So with the wet suit in the boot i Jumped in for a quick dip at Blackrock.

It wasn't that bad I decided but I still only did about 100ms :o

Out of pure curiosity, were your eyebrows waxed, plucked or scissored??

Between all this talk about hairy arses and bushy brows, I'm starting to wonder if all you Irish men are unusually furry. Must be the long, cold winters.

Between all this talk about hairy arses and bushy brows, I'm starting to wonder if all you Irish men are unusually furry. Must be the long, cold winters.

Nope, waxing, plucking, trimming were never part of the vocabulary of Irish men.

This must be the realm of the new metro-man, in touch with his 'feelings' :rolleyes:

Out of pure curiosity, were your eyebrows waxed, plucked or scissored??

A comb was run between my monobrow and all excess hair was snipped. Mine aren't too bad but my dad isnt called the werewolf by my mates for nothing so they will need watching in my later years
    Nope, waxing, plucking, trimming were never part of the vocabulary of Irish men.

This must be the realm of the new metro-man, in touch with his 'feelings' :rolleyes:

And you should be thankful Sean, or you would never get away with the fop of hair or your fetish for compression socks

You could at least have put in one where the quads were active! It's all about the quads :)

I'm wondering who has the tight red compression shorts on??

I'm wondering who has the tight red compression shorts on??

He needs them too ;)

BTW for the record I'd tight black ones on too #justsaying

• Advertisement

He needs them too ;)

BTW for the record I'd tight black ones on too #justsaying

Oh, I noticed those tight black ones on you, don't you worry ;) .....but the red ones are so bold. However, whoever has them on seems to have some sort of conflict going on - I mean, on the one hand he's got these very bold and very tight red compression shorts, but then on the other hand he's modestly covered them up with loose fitting black shorts.

Advertisement