Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting down the spoon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Tuesday AM: Nothing - slept in

Tuesday Lunch: With it being an easy week I decided to continue with the 10k tempo run but only push it for the 2nd half. Got to 5k at 4.56 pace and then pushed into the 4.30's for the way back. Finished overall at 4.43 pace

Wednesday AM:
    2000m swam but cant remember what I did, nothing too strenuous anyways

Wednesday Lunch: Continuing the easy week I did a brick session of 16k cycle and 2k run. Just steady on the bike, at the outset of the run as I turned for home my breathing was steady and I picked up the pace but by the end I was raggedy and was losing my form. Km 1 was 4.07 pace and km 2 was 3.49 for 3.58 pace for the 2k overall. I tend not to wear the Garmin for sprints so I need to be careful I dont go out too hard, I wont hold that pace for 5k

Thursday AM: A better swim, 5 x 108 off 2.15/2.10/2.05/2.00 with a minute between each set. Held the last set better than I expected starting out. 2300m in total

Thursday Evening: I broke the strap in the Garmin so I left it at home. 8k at around 5 minute pace

Friday AM: On mondays and fridays I need to be back early but a reasonable swim, 4 x 396 of 8 minutes all in around the 7.20s/7.30s mark 1700m in total

Its looking like I might not get out later, I should have done a bike instead of the swim :mad:

Saturday Afternoon: My strap on the Garmin has broke so just the polar with heart rate, this was grand as it was an easy week anyways. Have no clue of pace but I was running nice and comfortably, would reckon it was sub 5 minute pace. I was only supposed to do 13k but as I ran past the mothers I saw the sisters kids had only just arrived so threw in up and down the hill to make it 16k in total. AHR - 144

Sunday Morning: Brought the little girl for her first swim sunday morning. As expected not a bother - shes very laid back much more so than her brother from memory at that age. Blasted weather started to worsen all day, and when I got out it was quite nice out but some major thunderstorms. I had luckily gone back into the house before I left and brought a rain cape which held up well but I hadn't bothered with overshoes. My feet were saturated by the 1/2 way point from the puddles.

A reasonably good spin, my garmin has been set for 8k laps for months since I got it, so decided to pepper the cycle with 3 x 8k hard at certain points. All in all 70k done

Monday AM: Kept away from the sunday night wine so managed a quick swim before taking over getting the kids ready in the am. 1200ms

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Strap is on order 1st thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Sub 5min/km at such a low hr is tidy running sir. And a 70k bike. Anyone would think you have a race coming up. Good work.

Monday Evening: Easy 10k run 144 bpm

Tuesday AM: I was buoyed up for a good swim session this morning but gradually the enthusiasm was sucked out of me. Out of coffee capsules put me in a foul humour straight away and I was pulling out of the driveway I noticed the blasted birds had got at my bins. The recycled lid had been slightly up leaving them out but I reckoned the birds were only interested in the food bin. I was wrong, they had a good nose in there and their was rubbish everywhere so had to tidy that, forgetting the watch when I got to the pool was the final straw and I did 600ms before I got bored and sat in the jacussi

Tuesday Lunch: The day was improved with a decent paced bike, starting to hold 30Kph for my 20k TT route much easier now. No doubt with deep section wheels, a TT helmet and my gameface on I will be well over 40kph come race day ;) 20k @ 31.4kph

Wednesday AM: Much more like it, 5 x 108 off 2.15/2.10/2.05/2.00 with one minute between. This was the set that was planned yesterday. 2400m in total

Wednesday Lunch: A tough tempo run - trying to work out the pace from the polar which I dont turn on for ten minutes till I get enough of a sweat up is impossible but 12k with an average of 166 and max of 184 (a record high this year) I reckon it was fast enough. Sometimes the Garmin can be a curse - I was running well so probably would have slowed after a few k if I had accurate pace figures, without it I just ploughed on trying to keep the pace high

A 2.5 hour nightmare of a lawn session that evening coupled by the bro in laws chilling words of the bog next week had me exhausted that evening

Thursday AM: I was shagged this morning - the Ipad is killing me for sleep, no point going to bed at 10 if you are going to stay up reading till 1. Got through it but it cut it back a little from the original intention. 4 x 396 off 8:00 minutes, shoulders and legs were stiff and I struggled to come in on high 7.40s each time, last one was a little better and at least got into the 7:30's. 1800m

Thursday Lunch: I had plans of getting close to the hour cycling and had snuck out earlier and had the bike ready to go. My plan was scuppered when I run out to see the young lad wearing my helmet and attempting to pump up my pedals. The guilt washed over me, a lovely day and I haven't brought him out for a while so the road bike was dusted down and I brought him down in the bike trailer to the river to throw some stones instead. A fast 8k as he likes me to move it when he is on board :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Friday AM: Never much time in the mornings on fridays or mondays, so a quick dip and 4 steady lengths into a 396m swim I decided I might as well go for it. Came in on 6.33 - I didnt pace it as well as the last effort - as I had two much left for the last 2 lengths but it came in slightly quicker so I cant complain. 1500ms

Friday Evening:
    Managed to wrangle a small spin on the bike that evening, only about 10k, but did a couple of fast 2.30 sections.

Saturday Evening:
    One of my big mistakes early in my marraige was to be aghast at painters quotes for some of the interior walls. I suppose it was the height of the Celtic Tiger at the time. I broke and said I used to paint over in Boston on my J1 visits. I was slow but I did a good job and I have been caught ever since for the painting

So with a sister due home from the states for a visit I was asked to do the two kids bedrooms. Bloody pink and blue so it needed two coats. So using the excuse that the painting needed to be stopped long before the kids went to bed I got a 15k run in around the local route. Couldnt find the heart rate monitor and no garmin so I would guess it was around 5 minute pace. Lovely evening for a run.

Sunday Evening: Finally got the painting finished and headed out the door at 4, I have to keep an eye on the laptop for work between 6 and 7 every week so I needed to be back by 6. After heading out to oranmore nice and easy with a nice tailwind I had a lone cyclist in my sights, could never catch him really but he was good to pace off. He headed towards Craughwell and I turned for Athenry - I tried to keep my heart rate in the 120's for the whole spin which always works out to be a reasonable pace for me. Happy enough, although the shoulders were stiff I spent more time than not down on the bars and the pace worked out at 29.5kph for the 62k. Thats a decent effort for me. AHR - 123

Monday Morning: A quick 1000m in the pool as I woke up with time for it

Monday Evening: 8k easy run

Tuesday Morning: Swim - 6 x 396 off 8 minutes with pull buoy for every 2nd one, coming in around the 7:30's for all of them

Tuesday Afternoon: Steady bike, easy with the tailwind and pushed it into the wind. 20k at 31.6kph

Wednesday AM: The bog has started last night, arms and shoulders were very stiff so didn't kill myself swimming. 1200m

Wednesday Evening:
    Another 8k easy run, hamstrings are very tight

Thursday AM: This was a little better, some diligent stretch work after the bog last night seemed to have sorted the arms and shoulders out anyways. With my crap kick it didn't really matter about the stiff legs. I tried a set of 4 x 108 off 2.15/2.10/2.05/2.00/1.55. Not too bad the one less 108 per set makes a big difference. I daydreamed on the 2nd last 1.55 so I had to work hard to make the time up on the last one

Thursday Lunch: More a leg loosener bike than anything else, did the local 20k TT route. 29kph average

Last night of the bog for the week so I am hoping that perhaps I might do a race on Saturday if the legs loosen up- no Dory not a 4k swim but perhaps a 10k race as an apology and submit to some form of punishment for you. Annaghdown 10k - its local and its on at 11am which might suit bringing the young lad to watch me.

Thinking about it this was the scene of my last stand alone 10k a few years back where I missed a sub 45 minute coming in at 45.01. If the legs aren't too bad I should get inside that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Some very good work going on in this log!! I've noticed your standing in the SBR Challenge too. ;) No worries about the swim as I think a 10k run trumps a 4k swim in the "aw crap, I think I'm going to vomit" department. My 10k pb is 43:xx, in case you'd like to target that. :)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Some very good work going on in this log!! I've noticed your standing in the SBR Challenge too. ;) No worries about the swim as I think a 10k run trumps a 4k swim in the "aw crap, I think I'm going to vomit" department. My 10k pb is 43:xx, in case you'd like to target that. :)

Hmmm I went through 10k in 42.50 in that 10 mile race last year but I am not in that type of run shape - could you care to elaborate what the xx is. I know damn well you know it to the second ;)

Perhaps leave telling me, I will take it as 43.00 and target that! It will be interesting in one way - my strap is broken on the garmin so with the weather thats in it lately i will have no pockets to carry it. We will see if I can pace it properly without it, I have a tendancy to go out too hard in the short races and die a death

All depends on how I wake up on saturday - 3 days of standing in the bog trying to touch your toes for 3/4 hours is a killer on the hamstrings - you could see a long boring drivel about a long run instead with loads of whinging about the hamstrings

I intentionally omitted the xx as I am hoping you'll target (and go) 42:xx. It's in you, I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

catweazle wrote: »
    All depends on how I wake up on saturday - 3 days of standing in the bog trying to touch your toes for 3/4 hours is a killer on the hamstrings - you could see a long boring drivel about a long run instead with loads of whinging about the hamstrings

on the bog this week too, hamstrings in ribbons as well, had targeted my sons schools 5k races at the weekend for a pb as its lovely and flat but theres more turf to be footed yet and il be lucky to be able to walk never mind run..

No race report I am afraid Dory - I knew my goose was cooked when I could hear the wife inviting one of her workmates into the house for a glass of wine from the taxi at about 4am the night before (female workmate). A monster hangover from her staff party scuppered any plans of heading off the following morning. I was happy enough anyways, legs were still stiff so I wouldn't have done myself justice

Friday AM: A very small swim before heading to the office, one of the staff was leaving so I headed up for the going away party. 500m

Saturday Evening: Finally I have got over 20k for a long run, 20.3k as I came in on 1.41 minutes I assume I was at 5 minute pace. Lovely night for running - legs were ok but with a pick up in pace towards the end and lack of endurance the heart rate started to tip into the low 160's. AHR - 143

Sunday AM:
    Same route as last week - I just couldn't get the heart rate up as the legs were very tired. I was heading for home a little brassed off with myself so decided to throw in three repeats of the hill at Abbeyknockmoy. Went at these hard and they seemed to wake the legs up out of their stupor as I flew home after. 72k in total. AHR - 117

Monday AM: The usual short swim, 1000ms with 2 x 396 off 8.00 7.25/7.22

Footing of the bog this week and the brother in law is not too impressed that I have told him I am away working tuesday, friday and saturday. He thinks I arranged these meetings this week on purpose (and I did ;))I wasn't going to stay the night away on friday but I am now if I can as he will nail me for the saturday - hoping to do Tri Lakes triathlon on the sunday so bog on saturday will destroy any chances of a decent performance

Monday Evening: 8k around the local route, easy enough so approx 5 minute pace

Tuesday Morning: A rare early morning cycle for me - didnt work out too well as I dropped the chain and in my laziness I tried everything to get it back on without having to get off the bike - which just mangled it worse. Took me a while to get it sorted as I was a bit more gentle with the TT bike than I would have been with the road one. Had to cut it short so only 15k

Tuesday Evening: Coming through Athlone I did my usual trick and told Mrs C that I was just pulling out on the M50 - which gives me a sneaky hour for a swim. My first time in Loughrea in about a year - great place to swim. Water was lovely but the pool would have had a rougher chop. Took off at what I thought was a reasonable pace but my arms were on fire after 200ms or so and I was wishing for a wall for a sneaky break while turning around. Will need to be careful to not go out too fast on sunday. 1000m total

Wednesday Morning: Shoulders were stiff after last nights efforts and from mondays work in the bog so handy enough 1200ms

Wednesday Afternoon: 8k run - Not sure of pace but I would guess low 4.40s

Bog is finally footed thanks to be christ :cool:

Thursday Morning: Main swim was 2 x 400 with pb off 8.00 and i threw in some descending 108s off 2 x 108 off 2.15/2.10/2.05/2.00/1.55

Thursday Afternoon: Lashing rain so dodged the bike - hopefully either out tonight or tomorrow morning. The bling wheels are on so I just want to make sure they are ok as I might not be back from work till late saturday night. Did an easy 5k with a few all out sprints to try and wake up the legs for sundays race.

Not too confident on going well on sunday, swim I lack the endurance of previous years, bike I am never happy with it and while I was going well with my runs, I eased off last week with the Annaghdown 10k in mind and another easy week this week with the race on sunday and I feel I have lost a little topline speed.

However that being said the family has been bigging me up to Pudsy all week so he is expecting a big performance at his first race so I will need to deliver ;)

If nothing else, at least look ripped and buff in the two piece for Pudsy. ;) Good luck at the weekend. Can't wait for your report - I believe this is your first race of the season??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

woody1 wrote: »
    on the bog this week too, hamstrings in ribbons as well, had targeted my sons schools 5k races at the weekend for a pb as its lovely and flat but theres more turf to be footed yet and il be lucky to be able to walk never mind run..

We dont foot turf in Mayo, well Knockmore anyway, we wreckle it, I'd have thought they'd have gotten that much straight in Ardagh?

I've a couple of hours of turning turf to do myself on Saturday, great prep for Sunday :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Green&Red wrote: »
    We dont foot turf in Mayo, well Knockmore anyway, we reckle it, I'd have thought they'd have gotten that much straight in Ardagh?

I'd say nothing or you might find yourself roped into "showing how its done properly" in 2015 ;)

AKW wrote: »
    I'd say nothing or you might find yourself roped into "showing how its done properly" in 2015 ;)

twould be more likely that I'd be the one looking for the volunteers!

Green&Red wrote: »
    We dont foot turf in Mayo, well Knockmore anyway, we reckle it, I'd have thought they'd have gotten that much straight in Ardagh?

I've a couple of hours of turning turf to do myself on Saturday, great prep for Sunday :(

I always keep my online dictionary handy for ye Mayo lads posts, I haven't a clue what you mean by Ardagh unless it some dig at Irish Glass, however I did raise an eyebrow on the meaning of reckle

reckle
    1. verb - the act of touching your testicle(s) to your asshole - typically can only be achieved when your balls are extremely hot and swampy, and therefore hang at a very long length; the objective backwards swing of the scrattle or newton's scradle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Thank fcuk it not lunch time.......

Apologises - apparently spelt wreckle

Definition of wreckle; eg wreckle peat -

The turf was then “wreckled” that is the sods were stood on their ends in groups of 10-12 .
    Additional Information

I spent Sunday wreckling peat and my back is terribly sore. Word from Ballycastle, Co Mayo.

A W can make a huge difference to some words :D:D

6ef211f02214c045d8985a726754818c_400x400.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

aside from reckle/wreckle or foot.. i think g&r has his threads confused.. the ardagh reference is for me ..
    and although i have heard ardagh people talking about reckling :eek: that branch of your family foot turf ..
    i dont care what its called , i have to describe it to meath people as putting it up into little triangles :D

woody1 wrote: »
    aside from reckle/wreckle or foot.. i think g&r has his threads confused.. the ardagh reference is for me ..
    and although i have heard ardagh people talking about reckling :eek: that branch of your family foot turf ..
    i dont care what its called , i have to describe it to meath people as putting it up into little triangles :D

Ye Meath folk probably think they're small cigars

Bits and bobs on Friday and Saturday but very little with work. A wry smile when I saw the results for Kilkee, looks like it was an easier day than the last couple of years

The quiet man triathlon

It's been over a year since I last did a race of any description and with it being a cracking morning, so handy to get too, the family all coming and the tunes banging in the car I was surprisingly looking forward to it.

Some familiar faces at it as well with the banker, the man in a van and the gym bunny all around. With Kilkee yesterday and Sligo having a sprint triathlon the same day the numbers were low, just over 100

Back in my youth Ashford castle was one of my go to places for impressing the foreign ladies but I was never near Lisloughrey before, great spot for a race

Swim 13.41 (23/108)

I was happy with this time, started out too cautious and failed to try and keep up with a small group of 4 or 5 in front of me. I ended up sticking myself behind one guy for a good bit of it. I eventually decided he was slowing up and went ahead on my own. The group were still ahead of me and although I pushed I couldn't get back to them. I had plenty of puff left in me when I got to the shore so I am happy that I am not as far behind in swim endurance that I feared I was. Coming in behind me was the man with a van so I twigged it must have been him that I was drafting off

Bike 38.31 (34/108)

Made a balls of getting the feet into the shoes so I ended up having to go up a hill before I could get the right foot in, took me ages. I tend to not really focus on time and mark guys of a similar ability to me, the man with a van normally kills me on the bike and I can usually catch him by the end of the run, so I was expecting him to go by me any minute.

One or two shot past me early on and I passed 2 and that was it. Very disappointing, I hit the 1/2 way mark at just over 30kph into a slight headwind and the head dropped a little. Pulled it back a little on the way back and averaged 32kph overall. I am doing that speed in training around a sh1tty course. The only thing I can say is that I probably could have held that speed again going around for a 2nd loop. No top end speed. Made a bags of the dismount to boot and then off on the run

Run 21.48 (37/108)

This was a funny effort. Being truthful I think I am in great run shape at the moment and was confident I would get in on 20.xx if I pushed hard. 2 with me coming out of transition but I lost them very quickly. Shag all brick in my legs :o I ended up doing the first 3k or so with not a sinner in sight and I was idling. Lovely run through the woods. I am halfway up the hill after transition to the far loop and green and reds missus starts telling me to go back I am gone the wrong way. I was totally confused, it was well marshalled and I had seen some of the leaders running this way coming in on the bike. I hesitated and thought about running on but I would have looked a right eejit if she was right.

I ran back down to transition and was promptly told to turn around and go back up I was going the right way. I would say she was totally confused when I told her going by her again to tell Alan that catweazle is going to kill her after. I had lost one place doing this and another Westport tri guy was coming up behind me fast

I was well pissed and I thought I am damned if I am letting this guy past - turned into a great last 2k with me refusing to let him by on the trails by hogging the middle of the path. He was faster on the flat and downhill but I was putting a few metres into him in the hills. I knew from his breathing he was gone but Christ he was like a terrier and I couldn't shake him. Just after 4k there was a decent hill on the grass section so I went for it there and lost him. I had to laugh towards the end as I turned the corner into the straight I could see out of the corner of my eye he was in full sprint mode behind me so I had to quicken again. Fair play to him a tough bastard

Turned out the guy who passed me was in wave 2 so he was miles ahead of me on time so I didn't lose any places for having going back - Alan's missus did me a favour and gave me a most enjoyable dog fight to wake me up from my amble

Looking at the results I can call myself the winner of the mid packer age grade, next ahead of me was almost 3 minutes ahead

1.16.23 (21/108)

Enjoyed this race, great location, decent support, plenty of marshals and I didn't see a sniff of drafting, after all my moaning over the week I had forgotten how much I enjoy the odd race.....now back into the long grass for kenmare

Whoop whoop!!! Very well done, cw!!! :D And I always LOVE your race reports. !!!

But...:confused:....first it was reckle-gate by G&R....and then it was go-back-you're-going-the-wrong-way-gate by Mrs. G&R. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I've got this feeling there is a connection here. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Fair play, nice placings despite the wrong turn. Good to see the return of the Catweazle race report and the attendent nemeses. I had hoped to do this one myself, along with Westport and Loughrea, but stuff happened! By the looks of it, you would have given me a fairly resounding trashing!

Not the start of the big month I had planned but with family over from the States it cant be helped

Monday: To my shame not a stiff bone in my body today :o
    An easy swim of 1600m in the morning, went out for a run at lunch, no idea of time but it was reasonably quick. AHR - 143

Tuesday: Better in the pool, 8 x 396 off 8 minutes alternating free style and pullbouy. In around 7:30's for all of them. 20k at lunchtime on the bike at 29.7kph and a sneaky 6k with the young lad down to the river and back on the bike to throw stones in

Wednesday: Up to Tullamore today for work - a very rare early morning run for me. Hated 90% of it as I dont like running at that hour but warmed to it towards the end when I realised i had 13k done and dusted before 7:30am. Did my usual trick on the way home with a swim in Loughrea, I had planned 1500m but I ended up doing only 750m as it was so choppy

Thursday:
    The end of the decent sessions as the sister has arrived, did 1600ms in the pool in the morning and that was it. I should have cycled as I would have had slightly more time and my afternoon session was always in doubt

Friday:
    A 5k run at lunch - had no time for any more

Saturday AM: With a busy weekend ahead - a rare decision to prioritize the bike made me switch days from my usual sunday. I had a training window saturday but sunday would be in the lap of the gods. So off I went with the promise that I would be back within two hours. I did the dog on this and ended up going for a 73k cycle but I knew she couldn't complain seeing as she was heading off to Limerick on the piss with the girls. Some very angry clouds out there and I cycled through some saturated roads but it must have been an inspired start time as not a drop fell on me. My cycling reminds me of my running when I am going well, very sluggish for a long time but felt better and better as the cycle went on.

Sunday Evening: As expected, a window didn't open till late that evening. It was about to be shut just as quickly as the mother in law was getting worked up over the grass not being done and the bro in law heading away with the trailer for the week. I could have kissed him when I arrived home that evening with it all done. However 20k was reduced to 18k when I realized I had forgotten to buy milk for the young lad before bed. AHR - 143

Monday Morning: Just a quick 1000m in the pool in prep for a better swim tomorrow as I had to be home

As per usual with the holidays looming in the near future I am getting leaned on to do some driving over the next two weeks. Perhaps this wont be such a big training month as planned :(

She'll be delighted to know she did you a favour, it'll keep you on your toes!
    Sure you probably did a faster run time after all that

Monday Afternoon: Got a bike in at lunch, comfortable enough. 20k at 30.5kph

Tuesday: An awful 2k in the pool, arms felt really stiff for some reason. 10k run that afternoon had hoped to make it 12 but a work phonecall just before i left scuppered that.

Wednesday: Cant remember if I swam on wednesday, presume I did :o
    A decent bike at lunch, I decided to bust my balls for the first 5k into the headwind, averaged 33.9kph, took it easy for a few k after and then realised that if I kept the pace high I would come in for the local route over 33kph. Alas I couldn't hold that speed coming up around the bad road section so 32.8kph for 20k, not bad cycling though for me

Thursday: Armed with my new strap I had the garmin back out again (thanks AKW). This was done at 6am as Mrs C is demanding her runs before I go to work as well. Found this really hard as usual, I dont like running at this hour. Took me about 5 or 6k to start getting under 5 minutes kilometres and then I was moving well. 13k @ 4.54 pace AHR - 149. Snuck in my usual trick coming home from the office in Castlebar that evening but a nappies and babywipes purchase request scuppered any chances of a long swim so just a quick 500ms down in Annaghdown pier, water was choppy enough.

Friday: Looking like nothing - long week travelling next week so I decided to leave early and get a visit in Limerick and come before the wife went off again. A wedding this time that I don't have to go to so no complaints from me this time :)

• Advertisement

A quick update

The week before holidays up to the 18th was a write off - 2 long days travelling for work and having avoided bringing home the bog last year being away for holidays the bro in law wasn't letting that happen twice. Not only had the bastard had me over every evening he also had me up at 6am loading turf into trailers. From memory I got two runs in of 10k and 13k during lunch and that was it.

Last week was a bit better, I have swiftly learnt the difference between 1 kid and 2 kids on holidays. While I have been in the pool and sea for hours on end I have given up on getting any swimming done. However it's great to see how much more confident the young lad is getting with daily swims

Biking and running have been better, I have a training window of approx 2 hours or so every morning so I do the dog slightly on that with the biking and am back a little earlier with the running. So it works out as 60/70k every bike ride and the last 2 or 3 runs have been 20k runs. All easy the weather is too hot to do any hard stuff. The biking is great, the regular route has some great climbs with one of them being near 12k. Nothing too steep - I would say it will have a similar gradient to what Kenmare will have. Really enjoying the solid 2/3k sections of 5-8%. It's just steep enough to look like a hill unlike these sneaky 2-3% sections which just feels like you are slow and the +10% which is just too hard, so eyes down and just grind.

Eating like a slob though with ice cream, pizzas, chocolate etc etc so the inevitable extra weight coming back is a pain coming close to the A race.

Between bog and holidays and generally just a feeling that I want the A race over with as I gradually lose momentum as the summer drags on. It's probably made my decision for next year an easy one. It's the little ones 1st birthday tomorrow so it will be out to dinner, champagne and then sweet talking negotiations. iPad and credit card will be on hand ;)

Advertisement