Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting down the spoon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I'm wondering if it will be French champagne?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Did you get sorted for Nice?

What happened to not having to be back until 12???? :rolleyes:

BTW - your lawn is in DESPERATE need of a cut :pac: :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

catweazle wrote: »
    and then sweet talking negotiations. iPad and credit card will be on hand ;)

was going to ask what for but it appears the other two are in the know..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

mossym wrote: »
    was going to ask what for but it appears the other two are in the know..:)

It's not NICE when you're not being let in on the secret. ;)

pgibbo wrote: »
    Did you get sorted for Nice?
    D
    AKW wrote: »
    It's not NICE when you're not being let in on the secret. ;)

i don't think veiled references work after Pgibbo's post..:)

• Advertisement

At least I was subtle and marginally clever about it.

Subtle....what does that mean????? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Between bog and holidays and generally just a feeling that I want the A race over with as I gradually lose momentum as the summer drags on. It's probably made my decision for next year an easy one. It's the little ones 1st birthday tomorrow so it will be out to dinner, champagne and then sweet talking negotiations. iPad and credit card will be on hand ;)

Well negotiations were a doddle once I mentioned either Nice, Klagenfurt, Frankfurt or Zurich. As long as I was paying she was more than happy to sip lattes for a weekend with no kids outside some pretentious and overpriced French cafe. I knew she would pick that one and It was the one I wanted anyways - for many reasons

• Accessibility - Treks to Roth, Austria, Norseman would make it a one time only race as she wouldn't go again if it was hassle. Nice is 10k from the airport
    • Shipmybike needed to go there
    • Needed to be early season, I always train well over the winter and early spring but struggle to maintain it over Summer.
    • Between the bog, work always being crazy a few weeks before holidays and a week or two after coming back, the drawbacks of a small company, no-one really to cover you. This would not help me for late summer races
    • Holidays for me are always end of July early august - no flexibility. I am not going to ruin the holidays by shagging off biking and running all day and leaving the kids
    • Wife just starting her summer holidays that weekend, being a teacher she only has July and August off (poor thing :rolleyes:)
    Main reason for me is I need a ballbuster of a bike course which will hopefully get my arse on the saddle more and bring me on with my perennial weakness.

While registering I looked down at my hands and a beer in one hand, an Ice Cream in the other and a pizza slice on the floor beside me - a great start :o

Week 2 Holiday Update

While as Pgibbo mentioned I was supposed to be given till 12am every day for training I wasn't told that I would have to factor in an hour/hour thirty run from Mrs C every morning as well before I could go. Shes getting back into the running big time these days. So approx 9/10 depending on the kids was the earliest I could go every morning. I did try and get a few lengths in the pool the first day or two but Pudsy couldn't understand why I wasn't bringing him in with me so it wasn't worth the tantrums. I decided to sacrifice the swimming altogether and just concentrate on the bike and run.

So alternating 70k bike rides and usually 20k runs each morning. There are loads of great routes around here for the bike but I freely admit I just stuck to the one - mainly out of laziness to go look for others but also it was just a great route with loads of climbing which I hope will bring me on for Kenmare. 800ms in total ascent so it will be similar to what awaits in Kenmare. Towards the end of the holidays I felt I was doing a little more than just surviving the main hilly section and was beginning to push a little

The runs were just hot slogs through a mixture or road and trails usually around 5 minute pace, didn't bother running on the beach this year as the tide was never right when I got out.

Back home yesterday and got back into it today. Nice and easy in the pool this morning, 1500ms straight with the pull bouy, I wasn't too bad to start but tired quickly - no more than deserved for going a month without any swimming. The plan here is to go every day and gradually build up the distance and then push the pace. There will be no miracles with only 3 weeks to go but we aren't talking much difference in overall time anyways

The lunch run was encouraging - no real plan besides running 10k. After running the first 2k at around 4.45 pace I realaised I was feeling great so pushed the pace and came in on 4.30 average. Thats matching my 10k pb from a few years back - felt very strong at the 4.30 pace mark the last 2k was run at 4.00 which admittedly was beginning to burn but overall I felt strong

Weight needs to be looked at, put on 3kgs over there but should get down to 75kg before Kenmare if I am careful :o

3.5 hour spin on Saturday if it suits you?

I think we'll need to do a few spins around Cong and North Clare over the winter in prep for Nice :cool:

Nice going on yesterdays run. Fair play

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

I think we'll need to do a few spins around Cong and North Clare over the winter in prep for Nice :cool:

Hills? I'm in.

Christ come back end of summer holidays - I will have to wait till her Saturday morning jaunt is over before I can go, so approx 9am at the latest I should be ready. Its a bit squashed in for me as I have to bring the kids over to see the granny that day so if it doesnt suit don't go out of the way for me and I will go out sunday instead

I was thinking that myself the last day - no suitable hills anywhere near us. I will have to see if I can pull some clients in around Wicklow.

Thursday - A rare treble session as I got in 2k swim in the morning, the usual 20k TT route at lunch and coming back from a presentation I popped back into the pool that night for 1.5 of mostly kickboard. Garmin was dead on me so no stats for the run, the weekend long cycle was looking ominous with the back stiffening up towards the end of 20k.

Friday - A useless morning run, slept it in and with my regular poor early doors running and stiff legs I just ended up doing a 5k recovery run. Wasn't even nice holding 5.55 pace for this. Another lunchtime cycle again, had the Garmin with me this time, 30.4kph for the 20k route took it relatively handy with the likelihood of the long bike the following morning

Saturday - The wife had hummed and hawwed over a school reunion that she only found out about the friday (she doesn't do Facebook). I was encouraged to do my long bike saturday as my parenting skills would be needed sunday morning if it ended up a late night for her.

I wanted to get 3 hours in with keeping the heart rate in the 130's average anything above 130 and I am working hard, so after 30 minutes easy I got down to it. Was happy enough to get to the hill at Abbeyknockmoy after 55k at 31kph but the back was killing me.

The hill repeats was a real eye opener for me, its short enough approx 1.5k and I would normally just power up it out of the saddle but with Kenmare in mind I decided to sit down during these. Found it really hard - it would have been just easier to get out of the saddle but I cant be doing that for 8k in Kenmare, I was spoilt by my compact set up over in Portugal and was thanking god I didn't bring the TT with me.

The front of the Pussywagon is a 54/42 - I was just going to put an 11-28 for Kenmare and struggle through it but with Nice in mind next year I might well look at doing something with the front now as well.

I have been told to get a compact for Nice but I don't want to go down such an expensive route with the TT for just one race so hopefully I can replace the 42 ring with a 39 and just get the work in

Anyways job done 87k AHR 131

Sunday: I had hoped to do 22k but had to peg it to 20k as I was late to take over the kids. Probably the remnants of yesterdays bike in the legs but this was a slog 20k @ 5.05 pace AHR 148

I just saw an interesting tweet from BMC and he reckons " too many are overgeared thinking a 53 is the way the go. Thus spend too much time in top of the block. Compact is the way to go"

IMO - you should go for a compact.

I just saw an interesting tweet from BMC and he reckons " too many are overgeared thinking a 53 is the way the go. Thus spend too much time in top of the block. Compact is the way to go"

IMO - you should go for a compact.

saw that alright, first thought was whether he was talking road bikes for racing or across the board, wonder if he through the same for tri bikes

mossym wrote: »
    saw that alright, first thought was whether he was talking road bikes for racing or across the board, wonder if he through the same for tri bikes

Lets see what he comes back with but I'm guessing YES

ha i see we pretty much just spammed him at the same time..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

There is no problems swapping a 42 for a 39 (I have one here unused if you want it). and try and spread out the block, (e.g. 21,23,25,27|28) this should get you over most climbs and It wont be a gradient problem more like the length of the climbs.

oh and congrats on Nice,:)

BennyMul wrote: »
    There is no problems swapping a 42 for a 39 (I have one here unused if you want it). and try and spread out the block, (e.g. 21,23,25,27|28) this should get you over most climbs and It wont be a gradient problem more like the length of the climbs.

Not too easy find that spread based on this. I think 11-28 will be as close as you get.

I'll fit the 39 for you CW if you get it off BennyMul

Is there any risk that the drop from the 54 to the 39 will be too big for the front derailleur? I have no idea so just curious.

• Advertisement

Cheers lads - yes the general consensus from the bit of googling that I have done is that the 54-42 is ridiculous for someone at my level. Please note it was on the bike when I got it 2nd hand not something I requested. Its great that I can pin all my poor bike performances on the Pussywagons drivetrain and not the powerhouse driving it

It looks very much like a compact is the way to go for me as well and lower down the cassette ratio for smoother gear changes rather than packing 39 on the front and 28 on the back.

However there I assume there is going to be a cost factor in shelling out for a compact set and standing little chance of anyone being too interested in a nice 54-42 TT FSA set up

Now I do see there is a component sale on in both wiggle and CRC ending tomorrow, but what the hell do I buy that will be compatible

Benny thanks for the offer of the 39, i may well take you up on that for the short term as I will be passing through Limerick and thanks Gibbo for offering to put it on for me

Is there any risk that the drop from the 54 to the 39 will be too big for the front derailleur? I have no idea so just curious.
    Should be grand, im running a 53/39 currently with no issues so a 54 is minimal increase.

on the cassette spread (this is from SRAM) not sure if CW is running 10/11.
    the spread above I was looking for an even spread in the upper range, the 11/12 - 28 below would be perfect a nice even spread and no major jumps.
    I would refrain from going to the 30+ as this should require a change in the rear derailleur.

11-23: 11-12-13-14-15-16 -17-19-21-23
    11-26: 11-12-13-14-15-17-19-21-23 -26
    11-28: 11-12-13-14-15-17-19-22-25-28
    11-32: 11-12-13-15-17-19-22-25-28-32
    11-25: 12-13-14-15-16-17-19-21-23-25
    12-26: 12-13-14-15-16-17-19-21-23-26
    12-27: 12-13-14-15-16-17-19-21-24-27
    12-28: 12-13-14-15-16-17-19-22-25-28
    12-32: 12-13-14-15-17-19-22-25-28-32

Benny thanks for the offer of the 39, i may well take you up on that for the short term as I will be passing through Limerick and thanks Gibbo for offering to put it on for me

No problems, I can give it to AKW either if you wish.

Also you have months away from Nice, I would not rush into purchasing anything now, put in a good base period training getting in loads of miles and then see where you stand,

Pardon my sincere ingnorance (I'm still a newbie to all this cycling stuff!), but why the Pussy Wagon over a road bike for Nice? Over 5,000 feet of climbing - what are the considerations in making the decision of road vs. tri bike?

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Pardon my sincere ingnorance (I'm still a newbie to all this cycling stuff!), but why the Pussy Wagon over a road bike for Nice? Over 5,000 feet of climbing - what are the considerations in making the decision of road vs. tri bike?

Well I suppose first and foremost if I had a spare set of wheels like your Madone there would be a decision to make, but my road bike is a 6 year old Aluminum behemoth so I would think there is no difference in weight and perhaps the Pussywagon is lighter. The one thing the road bike has though is a lovely compact and a treble drivetrain. The only time I have to get out of the saddle on that bad boy is too fart ;)

Remember Dory what goes up must come down too so you will see the benefits of the TT bike on the flat and downhill sections and what might surprise you after the agony of your most recent spin, the TT bike has a lot more options as regards comfort than a road bike once your back is used to the position.

* Most importantly after years of plaguing her to let me buy a tt bike as my road bike was holding me back from my huge potential what would she say when she sees me heading off to my big race with the road bike

And while you are over here - can I please see a picture of the TT helmet that you must have purchased by now. I really cant believe you will drop xxxx on a super bike and then wear a road helmet ;)

Well I suppose first and foremost if I had a spare set of wheels like your Madone there would be a decision to make, but my road bike is a 6 year old Aluminum behemoth so I would think there is no difference in weight and perhaps the Pussywagon is lighter. The one thing the road bike has though is a lovely compact and a treble drivetrain. The only time I have to get out of the saddle on that bad boy is too fart ;)

Remember Dory what goes up must come down too so you will see the benefits of the TT bike on the flat and downhill sections and what might surprise you after the agony of your most recent spin, the TT bike has a lot more options as regards comfort than a road bike once your back is used to the position.

* Most importantly after years of plaguing her to let me buy a tt bike as my road bike was holding me back from my huge potential what would she say when she sees me heading off to my big race with the road bike

And while you are over here - can I please see a picture of the TT helmet that you must have purchased by now. I really cant believe you will drop xxxx on a super bike and then wear a road helmet ;)

Ummm....I'm still trying to decide which TT helmet I look best in?? ;)

P.S. - Sounds like you need a new road bike!!!
    P.P.S - You fart!!!????

;):D

Should be grand, im running a 53/39 currently with no issues so a 54 is minimal increase.

on the cassette spread (this is from SRAM) not sure if CW is running 10/11.
    the spread above I was looking for an even spread in the upper range, the 11/12 - 28 below would be perfect a nice even spread and no major jumps.
    I would refrain from going to the 30+ as this should require a change in the rear derailleur.

11-23: 11-12-13-14-15-16 -17-19-21-23
    11-26: 11-12-13-14-15-17-19-21-23 -26
    11-28: 11-12-13-14-15-17-19-22-25-28
    11-32: 11-12-13-15-17-19-22-25-28-32
    11-25: 12-13-14-15-16-17-19-21-23-25
    12-26: 12-13-14-15-16-17-19-21-23-26
    12-27: 12-13-14-15-16-17-19-21-24-27
    12-28: 12-13-14-15-16-17-19-22-25-28
    12-32: 12-13-14-15-17-19-22-25-28-32

He's running a 10. I referenced Shimano as I'll be fitting an 11-28 Shimano for him this week or next week. I forgot about SRAM. My apologies.

The other option is for me to fit a spare 53/39 that I have after Kenmare. I'm currently using it on my road bike as the TT bike is en route to Copenhagen.

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Ummm....I'm still trying to decide which TT helmet I look best in?? ;)

I'm sure you'll look great no matter what aero lid you go with :D

He's running a 10. I referenced Shimano as I'll be fitting an 11-28 Shimano for him this week or next week. I forgot about SRAM. My apologies.

The other option is for me to fit a spare 53/39 that I have after Kenmare. I'm currently using it on my road bike as the TT bike is en route to Copenhagen.

:D:cool::)

• Advertisement

Best laid plans were cuts to pieces, with a death of a very very distant relation, a planned peak week of training was brought back to one quick session early doors before the kids got up. With an extra 2 kids for the week it just wasn't fair to head off training at lunch so babysitting at lunch and I was over in the brother in laws for baby sitting duties from early evening on.

So cant remember much of what I did but a few swim sessions, 1 bike and one run was all I got done midweek.

The weekend started better, I was back to the run on saturday and it was an early evening run which I like best, so 20k @ 4.50 pace AHR 148, besides the last 2k where I started to stiffen up a little this was nice and comfortable.

The long bike the following day wasn't so good, I had hoped to 100+ but I felt like bonking from 40k on, suffered through and got up to 93k, I could have done a slow lap of the local route to bring me to 101k but I had enough and packed it in. One of those days where I didn't feel right till the Sunday roast was down me that evening

This week isn't shaping up too well with work either but I am not overly stressed, I am not a fan of a long taper but its less than two weeks out from the race so I wont beat myself up too much missing the odd session at this point.

Advertisement