Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting down the spoon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Friday Afternoon: Just a steady 40 minutes on the turbo. the main plan that day was an evening swim but I had to ditch that in favour of some babysitting.

Saturday AM:
    I wasn't looking forward to this long run - nothing to bad about it only 1 hour or so but at the end of it I had to relive my tuesday trial of 3k at 4.20 pace pegged in at the finish.

So started out with 3k @ 5.20, 3k @ 5.00, 3k @ 4.45 and finally to finish 3k @ 4.20. I had plenty of excuses in my mind - the slight chesty cough I had, the earlier than planned run with a massive plate of scrambled egg and toast not long down me.

Off I went and unlike me for the first 6k I stuck rigidly to the times, if I ran a 5.14 the next one would be paced to a 5.23 and 5.23. I would need every second. The 5.00 minute kms were becoming a little uncomftable but the legs kicked in during the 4.45s and I felt a little better. Did my old trick of saying to myself I will do one at 4.20 and then slow down and talked my way to another 2k after that. I assume the build into this run suited me today more than plodding along like I did on tuesday and then suddenly break out into 4.20's the legs were tricked easier. Overall 12k @ 4.51 and then an easy 1k run down.

Into town for the afternoon where I exchanged some type of kiddie carrier my auld one bought me which no way was I putting on the bike for a helmet that fit me, I have been wearing one that's too small for me for years now, looked like a mushroom on the top of my head

Sunday AM: A nice morning for a cycle, I had planned longer but had to pop up to Castlebar during the afternoon. A reasonable pace, east enough but pushed the last 15k or so from Tuam to the house and finished at 27.4 kph. I briefly observed towards the end of it that I didnt feel a bit of pain in the back like I used to so the bike fit and diligent adherence to planks must be working. The fingers are numb after a few kilometres but that's down to the snowboarding gloves I hope which are too small.

Passing through Tuam I noticed the Tuam AC 8k is on the 20th of January..............hmmmmm!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I really wish you would post in miles and not kilometers. ;)

Dory an easy way isthink of it in blocks of 20 seconds, it is near enough
    Km 5:00 = 8:00
    Km 4.40 = 7:30
    Km 4.20 = 7:00
    Km 4.00 = 6:30

Monday:
    Nothing - in Dublin all day!

Tuesday:
    Tempo run - I had settled on 10k
    3k @ 5:00
    5k @ 4:30
    2k easy

A strange run, 2k into the 4:30 set I was breaking and the frustration was rising that I couldnt hold what was an easier pace than last week. I think a 2 day break from running is making me struggle on tuesdays - will try to get out for a short run on the Mondays in the new year.

Into the 3rd K and I had resigned myself to just finishing that kilometre out but started to feel stronger, perhaps it was the change of direction with a slight tailwind but from a 4.34/4.36/4.38 I was able to hold a 4.20/4.18 for the last two k. I briefly contemplated throwing another 4:20 on at the end but thought better of it and jogged the final 2k home. 8k @ 4:40 pace and then 2k easy

Tuesday Evening:
    An easy swim, with a set of 500 and 800 with the pull buoy in the middle of it. 2000m total

Wednesday Lunch: An easy run, 8k @ 5.13 pace

Wednesday Evening:
    40 minutes on the turbo - a bit distracted and didn't push it very much

I have been getting emails from DCM admin for a few months now, all not meant for me so I send them back and usually get an apology. After being assured earlier this week I wouldn't get one again as my email had been deleted I got another one this morning :rolleyes:

I was glad I was friendly with the replies as I joked I should get a free entry for 2013 as an apology which I got a prompt reply back that would be no problem.

Soooooo I wasn't planning on doing a Marathon but when one lands on your lap like that it would be foolish not to take it on. Hmmm we will see DCM is a long way away and a sub 1:30 half is more of a priority for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Ha that's gas. No way you can turn that down eh!

Free entry to DCM??? Oh....that is definitely a sign. Will you be running in the 4 hour group? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Sweet - step away from the Erdinger!!! :D

Thursday Lunch: I have a feeling this plan will be a series of battles with small victories and epic defeats. Today was a defeat. The plan called for 3 x 1k repeats off 4 minutes with 90 seconds recovery, based on the relative comfort of last weeks 5 x 700m I was determined that I would be doing 4 of these. So after a couple of kms warm up I set off up and down outside the house. 1st one was easy in 3.54, 2nd one was where I could feel the difference between a 700m and 1k run, came in on 3.54 and I was beat. The 3rd I really struggled with was a 3.58. I tried to talk my way into doing a 4th but a few 100ms into it and running at 4.03 and about to go up a drag, the head dropped, I listened to the demons and decided the plan only called for 3 :(

Friday Lunch: 40 minutes on the turbo - fairly easy but pushed the last 10 minutes.

Friday Evening: A short swim of 1000m

Saturday AM: I was dreading this run but when I looked at the plan the night before it was only 1.15 at zone 2. I was expecting harder! I was glad of this at even 5 minute kilometre pace I wasn't comfortable towards the end. Had to cut it ten minutes short as I was on babysitting duty. 13k @ 4.57 pace

Saturday Evening: An easy 1000 metres straight in the pool

Sunday AM: Was planning to do 50k but got in a hailstone shower just coming into Salthill - a Capucinno and a Moro in the petrol station later and decided instead of continuing to Barna, I headed back for 42k. Nice tailwind on the way back, l didn't notice much of a headwind on the day out. 27.5kph - although an easy spin I felt pretty strong.

Sunday Evening:
    Coming in from town - I cunningly insisted on bringing my car in as well. This gave me room to manouevre out of the customary visit to the mother in law while going by her house so I got in another straight swim of 1000m

Sickened with the Sports Personality - obviously run well over time so my recording only goes as far as coach of the year. Hope its Wiggo!

catweazle wrote: »
    Thursday Lunch:The plan called for 3 x 1k repeats off 4 minutes with 90 seconds recovery
    I tried to talk my way into doing a 4th but a few 100ms into it and running at 4.03 and about to go up a drag, the head dropped, I listened to the demons and decided the plan only called for 3 :(

Maybe there's a reason the plan only called for 3. ;)

That's a sickener regarding SPOTY. Yes it was him as I'm sure you know.

I'm finishing up Friday so hopefully we'll get a few spins in over the holidays. Maybe even a hilly one in Cong?

Monday Evening: Having not ran since saturday I decided to Try a new approach to take the edge off tuesdays tempo runs by having a short easy one on mondays. Forgot the Garmin so 5k at around 5:00 minute pace. A quick dip in the pool and tempted by the new 400m TT topic I belted out 108m full bore. My endurance is nowhere near where it should be but seemed like nothing wrong with my speed, no watch but it felt fast. Will have a crack before the month is out, as I am planning on taking the swimming more seriously in the new year. 660 swam

Tuesday Lunch: 10k run with 4k in the middle at 4.20 pace, perhaps it was the short run the night before but this felt good, pottered along at 5.03 pace for the first 5k and then brought it in to 4.20s. 4.17/4.17/4.21 as I finished the 3rd kilometre I was still feeling good and was thinking back to week 1 when I couldn't get far past 2k at this stage. Legs started to tire towards the end but still in on 4.13, breathing was good. Felt like I jogged home but the last kilometer was a 5.14.

As an aside had the new Calvin Harris CD 18 months - a quick flick through on itunes before I went out it didn't sound too promising but it wasn't bad in fairness

Tuesday Evening: Just an easyish spin on the turbo although the last few minutes the legs were getting tired

• Advertisement

Wednesday Evening: I should have got an early turbo in but fobbed about for too long and the chance was gone as I had a meeting in the afternoon. Went for a short swim on the way home just a straight 1000 with the pull buoy

Thursday Lunch: A good run, the meat part of the plan was 5 x 800m @ 4 minute pace with 90 seconds recovery. 3.54/3.56/3.55/3.58/3.49. There's a big difference between 800 and 1k repeats, the burn doesn't really kick in as much and you dont have to dog out the last 200m.

So happy enough, breathing still quiet measured. Couple of local farmers who see me every day running are a bit confused at the running up and down the same stretch of road of late but its a nice flat section well over 1k in length so its perfect. 8.6k in total.

Only one more tough run this weekend and then a run recovery week :)

Mrs C's xmas presents had arrived from CRC when I got back the Skins compression pants and some lube (Shimano not KY). Got a medium but I don't think they were particularly tight on me, I threw in a heavily discounted pair of lightweight Winter Campag gloves when purchasing so hopefully they will come tomorrow for some weekend cycling

Thursday Evening:
    An easy 40 minutes on the turbo

Friday Lunch: 40 minutes on the turbo

Friday Evening:
    1650 Swim, 150 wu, 500 drills, 1000 straight.

Saturday Evening: Was pissed off with this run, I was supposed to get out in the morning but circumstances prevented me so lashing rain all day and a tough run hanging over me had me in bad form. I finally got out at around 6.30, had to drive to Claregalway for the street light, still torrential and puddles everywhere!

Off I went and wore the new Skins compression pants, the puddles were particularly bad coming into Claregalway so I didn't have as much road to play with. No sooner than I was out then two ballbag boy racers in a row gunned their cars to time it with a puddle so I was drenched early. A wry smile crossed my lips as I managed to catch one or two in younger days the same way.

Anyways 3k at 5.20 pace and 3k at 5.00 pace was handy enough. Into 4.40 pace for 4k and I found the first two up a drag tough and was averaging 4.45 for both of them, my first attack of dropping the head happened at that stage as I started to settle for another 2k at 4.45 but with the mainly downhill I was able to pull 2k @ 4.35's out while recovering slightly.

Last 4k were at 4.20 and after the first I was close to calling it a day, the 2nd was up to a turnaround point and I convinced myself to at least get to the turnaround and then cruise home. The third was on a downhill and the last k was convincing myself that I was on a recovery week next week.

Dogged it out 4.19/4.21/4.20/4.18 but easily as hard as I can ever remember pushing myself on a training run. I was drenched but a nice feel good run when finished as
    • A year ago I would have skipped the session altogether with that weather - getting out was never in doubt
    • I would have caved mentally on the 4.20's - the first week of this plan that I made all the times
    Fell asleep on the couch watching Match of the day I was so shagged, the high winds woke me up later on and I shuffled to bed

Sunday Am: Need to get out earlier as I am not getting the time on these cycles that I would like. Got my first puncture in years - front tyre blowout luckily enough not too far from home so I was able to ring a friend. I have had that front tyre since I got the bike so its well over 5 years so good value. Bought a Gatorskin from Beasty over in the cycling forum so good timing. Was just on 40k when it burst

Nice work with your running and your mental toughness. I suspect you'll be pretty happy with future race results if you keep this level of quality training up. When and what is your next event?

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Nice work with your running and your mental toughness. I suspect you'll be pretty happy with future race results if you keep this level of quality training up. When and what is your next event?

Need to keep to my promise of racing more this year - provisionally looking at January 20th for Tuam 8k. Two 4k laps of a relatively flat course - not sure how to approach this yet, I may just try and go balls out and see how I get on

Castlehackett Duathlon then the following week - wont take this too seriously unless I see Amphkingwest fading on the 2nd hill in front of me. The run is up a bitch of a hill and the downhill section will be a case of not falling over. Don't think I will bother with the Pussywagon for the cycle I haven't done any training on it so the road bike probably.

Monday Lunch: I was offered so i took it and headed off on an easy 5k - just to kep the legs moving as runs could be in short supply for the week.

Tuesday: Nothing - I got through an unmerciful feed at the xmas dinner and then proceeded to gorge on crap all evening. TV was very poor this year

Wednesday AM:
    Needed to get this done as was heading to family gathering in Castlebar. A recovery week so nothing too bad, an easy run with just 2k at 4.20 pace. The easy part was the worst as I could feel how lethargic I was but the tempo 2k was surprisingly ok. 8k in total

Thursday Evening: Went for a quick swim - just 1000m straight

Friday AM: The 2nd main run and it was 5 x 2 minutes at 4 minute pace, first was grand and failed miserably at the next two which were uphill, turned for home and was surprised how much the wind was effecting me as was cantering home easily at sub 4 for the last two with the wind behind me

Friday Evening:
    Got another 1000m straight in with the pull bouy

Saturday: A return to some kind of form and with an easy long run on the plan, I ran 13k at 4.52 pace. After a few slowish kilometres I was getting quicker and more comfortable as the kms ticked by

Sunday: A poor day as I was out at the afters of a wedding so I was mildy hungover. Weather was cat so 1.45 on the turbo. Finished off the last Heroes Season 3 episode which was a real labour of love qas it was complete tripe. Allegedly season 4 is far better rolleyes.png

I also got through NBC's Kona broadast of 2011, christ they really play on the heartstrings with all the disability and cancer stories, Mrs C will eat it up. The swim looks magical.

Back to the grind next week, need to get the tempo run in tomorrow as I am sure I will be struggling after New Years for a few days. Need to start some pain on the bike as well now

Need to start some pain on the bike as well now

Get your ass out of bed early this Sunday and come for a pedal with me. Planning some nice work efforts! :D

pgibbo wrote: »
    Get your ass out of bed early this Sunday and come for a pedal with me. Planning some nice work efforts! :D

I have no lights and the time you go out in the morning I will need Mrs C to drive ahead of me in the car so I can see. Plus your work efforts put the fear of god in me

Monday AM: Another failed run which I was rightly demoralised over, a tempo run with 4k at 4.20. 4.18/4.17/4.20 and then I broke going up the drag at the start of the 4th and patted some locals dogs head for a few minutes instead. I finally got going again and did the last one in 4.16 coming up to the house. The overindulgence over xmas I am blaming - I am back up to 80kgs and I have to start getting some eating discipline. Being back to work should help as its more regimented feeding times. The 9.7k that I ran was done in 4.41 pace

Tuesday Evening: After a 5 course meal and a feast of Erdinger until I found out the price the Salthill Hotel were charging for it. €6.50 (rip off Ireland) so I switched to Heineken which left me relatively with a mild hangover, I ambled to a 5.25 pace local loop for 8k

Wednesday Afternoon:
    With me potentially being on babysitting duty all day saturday I moved my interval session to today. These were a bit more encouraging, the usual 5 x 800m at 4 minute pace with 90 second recovery. Pace = 4.00/3.54/3.56/3.56/3.56 - felt stronger as it went along! The recovery times are going down from now on though :(

Wednesday Evening: An unexpected offer to bring Pudsey for a swim and to have a quick dip myself after was quickly snapped up. New owners of the gym and I have just been told the opening hours is going to be switched to 6am for a trial run for a new training course, this is great news for my swim training as I have to be back in the house by 8. She also is encouraging me to take this new called "Insanity" workouts as she needs the numbers to keep it going. Trying to google it now - seems to be mainly cardio anyways which is a start and perhaps the group aspect might be good for me.

Anyways 1000m straight with the pull buoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I have no lights and the time you go out in the morning I will need Mrs C to drive ahead of me in the car so I can see. Plus your work efforts put the fear of god in me

Tut tut CW, go into a shop, buy a light and whilst there ask him does he know where your balls are:) MTFU and head out with pgibbo surely he will not hurt you that much* on the efforts.

giggles as he will probably put the hammer down

Tut tut CW, go into a shop, buy a light and whilst there ask him does he know where your balls are:) MTFU and head out with pgibbo surely he will not hurt you that much* on the efforts.

You make the purchase sound so simple Jackyback but I have seen Mr Tango being ridiculed on a certain log for not making the correct and informed lighting choice for his steed. Some research will be required first and I will make sure it will be after Sunday before I make the decision ;)

PGibbo lulls you into a false sense of security going out with these planned power meter readings that I don't understand. Its always seems comfortable enough for a while but I shudder every time I hear the word "steady". As that tends to involve crying pitifully behind him trying to hang on to his wheel

You make the purchase sound so simple Jackyback but I have seen Mr Tango being ridiculed on a certain log for not making the correct and informed lighting choice for his steed. Some research will be required first and I will make sure it will be after Sunday before I make the decision ;)

PGibbo lulls you into a false sense of security going out with these planned power meter readings that I don't understand. Its always seems comfortable enough for a while but I shudder every time I hear the word "steady". As that tends to involve crying pitifully behind him trying to hang on to his wheel

Ah, the poetry. No wonder I have such a mad crush on all you Irish lads. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭griffin100

Now I know why he refers to his bike as the pussywagon........

my sentiments exactly!!!! :D
    griffin100 wrote: »
    Now I know why he refers to his bike as the pussywagon........

LMFAO

It's only 3x20min reps CW - no bother to you ;) I'll be starting them around 8:30 so you shouldn't needs lights at that time........

Yeah but thats Tango and in fairness he was dressed up like a Xmas tree:). Thats what you got to do to improve, suffer well. Well able to from looking at the running side of it. Sure 20min efforts are short lived.;)

my sentiments exactly!!!! :D
    LMFAO

It's only 3x20min reps CW - no bother to you ;) I'll be starting them around 8:30 so you shouldn't needs lights at that time........

No excuse now, good man P:) peer pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

It's only 3x20min reps

Its the 50k lead in and cool down that has him worried. ;)

When CW realises I'm back running and targetting Castlehackett Duathlon he'll join you :)

Its the 50k lead in and cool down that has him worried. ;)

He was off cycling into town and coming out to Claregalway at 8.30 to meet me after his warm up at the top of the road - needless to say I didn't show up! Never was I so happy to see a miserable day - of course it didn't stop that psycho from going out. Home and hosed in time for sunday mass

Thursday AM: With Mrs C off till next week I snuck in a couple of morning swims - nothing much 60 lengths straight which works out to be 1100 metres

Thursday Lunch: Just under the hour on the turbo - gradually upped the gears every 10 minutes

Friday AM: Another 1100 metres swim

Friday Lunch: With an eye on a stiff run tomorrow I Kept it in zone 2 for 8k, came in at 5.02 pace

Saturday AM: A disappointing run, my legs didn't feel great going out and I was cursing not stretching the previous day after the run, not long after I went out it started to teem and just got worse. HR Monitor back (thanks Amphkingwest) and I was pleased to see HR was still in the 130's for the first 5k. The plan was 7k at 5 minute pace, 4k at 4.45, 2k at 5:00 and then 2k at 4:20. It only started to get tough going up a drag at the 2k at 5 minute pace, I was 25 seconds ahead of schedule and I used every second of it but I still was beginning to struggle.

Shut down and gave up after the 1st 4:20k, it was into a small hill and a headwind of rain and puddles and I jogged to the corner for the turn home for about 90 seconds after - I was mad then as I had a slight tailwind on the last section so I ran it into the house for 4.16. Overall 15k AHR = 154 Max = 178 Pace - 4.50

So the 14k two weeks ago was far harder than this run - but I just broke again.

I started to see the positives when I got in the door - a year ago my weekend runs would have involved some Pink Floyd, Bruce Sprinsteen and a leisurely run of 5:30+ pace. These days it is hard Trance and the paces in the plan I am doing is killing me to stick with it -hopefully it will reward me in some race on fresh legs. I don't think there is a problem with my basic speed but I don't have the endurance yet that I had coming up to DCM last year - I faded badly at around the 12k mark. The extra 5kgs isnt helping either but after not drinking a drop of wine or eating anything that could be classed as a treat all week I am hoping the scales will be kind to me tomorrow.

Sunday:
    A miserable day - and after dodging Gibbos 3 x 20 I ended up doing about two hours on the turbo after a pile of jobs that were handed out to me. I was sorry after seeing Amphkingwest's calling out for the Castlehackett Duathlon on thew SBR thread- a couple of cycles pushing hard is just what I need after doing only base training for the last few months. I would rate my chances against him better in an Aquathon but I should be in decent running shape as its a recovery week - alas its up the side of a mountain though :(

Prediction
    - Amphkingwest reduced to walking the 2nd time up Castlehackett - allowing the Cat bragging rights till The Kilconieron 5 miler

Finally a run I can hang my hat on.

Monday Evening: I have two long days on the road for work this week so the tuesday tempo became monday evening. Another crap day, I have huge flexibility for my runs during the day so I can usually work around the rain but I cant remember ever running so many days in lashing rain recently.

Todays plan was a tempo run with 5k at 4:20 towards the end of it. Took the first 4k nice and handy at 5.20 pace where I noticed my heart rate was still in the low 120's so straight away I thought today might be good.

Off I went and the first k was on a downhill so it was a nice way to feel into it, got lucky at the lights at Claregalway junction and ran through without having to break the rhythm. Pace:4:21/144

Second, third and fourth k's were flat 4.18/152 4.16/156/4.16/156 and the last one was up a drag for the first half, held 4.20 pace here and then opened the legs on the way down and brought it into 4.06 with the HR back down to 162, easy 2k jog back to the gym then. Overall Pace = 4.51 AHR = 144 Max - 168

Best part was I wasn't buried after this run as per usual and there was more in the tank if I needed it - a chink of light among the recent gloom :)

A quick 200ms in the pool after before legging home for tea

Good to know you'll run in the rain even if you won't cycle in it! ;)

Nice running.

Tuesday AM: A quick 40 minutes on the turbo before I headed to Cork AHR 119 - I was driving around Mitchelstown and I couldn't get over how hilly it was. Then going across to Listowel that evening I went down a hill near Duagh that just seemed to go on for ever - great cycling to be had around those parts

Wednesday Lunch: 4 x 1k at 4:00 pace. The repeats have gone up a level, only 60 seconds recoveries between each effort and they were up from 800ms to 1k. This was fine for the first two and I probably went too fast but I started to feel the bite in the ass towards the end of the third and I struggled to make the 4th hitting last years max heart rate coming up towards the end of it. Times were 3.49/3.51/3.56/3.56. AHR - 146 Max HR = 183 Distance 9k

Wednesday Evening: I didnt know why I bothered as I had only about 20 minutes swim time but with guilt mounting about a day off tomorrow as I am up in Belfast for work I headed down. I had a loose plan of 8 x 100ms off 2.30 when I started out but after 6 lengths I decided to keep going and get a 400m time. I am mainly concentrating on Sprint and Olympic distance this year so I need to to start punishing myself in the pool and try and get some speed into my routine.

I was surprised to see 6.52 when I finished, although I held it together well stamina wise and was able to raise a slight gallop for the last two lengths I never felt at any stage that I was swimming smoothly. My pb is 6.27 so I am not too far away with plenty to work on

• Advertisement

Good result on the swim considering how little you've been swimming.

Looks like your running is coming along nicely. Happy days

Advertisement