Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting down the spoon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

pgibbo wrote: »
    Looks like your running is coming along nicely. Happy days

I think he needs new shoes.

CW come into me I have a special pair of 400g shoes bricks specially for Castlehackett ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Thursday: A long day in Belfast - spent a long time driving around a rough enough area lost and decided with my accent I better not chance rolling the window down and asking for directions

Friday Lunch: I was supposed to get a turbo done but taking a late call and no turbo set up I headed out for a run instead. Mindful of how last weeks long run went I took it easy on todays run, 5.20 pace for 8k, AHR a little high for that pace in the mid 145's

The kibosh was put on a late evening turbo

Saturday AM: The plan had a race but I will leave that for another while - seeing as I broke on last weekends run, I said I would give it another go. I increased the distance 1k on last weeks so 8k at 5:00, 4k at 4.45, 2k at 5:00 and 2k at 4:20. Going down one of the boreens tipping away to Kaskade on the ipod some kind of sixth sense must have come over me and I turned around to see a Doberman with teeth bared coming at me full tilt. A few Sieg Heil's and some lusty roars of Bold dog, bold dog got us to a Mexican stand off where I backed away slowly to give him the victory. When I got some distance away I started to run again only for him to come at me again, so this time I had to back away until I got to another road. Not sure what happened - that dog is usually never around and was never aggressive to me before. I have already given up one route to three bastard sheepdogs so I wont give this one up without a fight but I will have to watch my back the next time.

Anyways back to the action and I got to the 13th kilometres point again with 40 seconds banked, so with this section being mainly uphill I treated myself to two 5:20's. Like last week I faded badly - perhaps its the slower pace breaking the rhythm. Was just about to hit the 2 x 4:20 which I wasnt too confident on holding and a van pulls over and asks mke for directions. I was a bit mad with myself over my first reaction as I made a big deal taking out my earphones and stopping watch, so I chatted to him for a few minutes to make up for it. A tainted 2k at 4:20 which I just about made before blowing up straight after it. 16k at 4:50 pace. AHR - 153 Max - 182

Sunday AM: One minute I was disappointed to see rain, I had then settled for the turbo and it started to dry out which then I wasn't happy with as it was freezing. I headed out in the end, one of my favourite spins out to Furbo and back going through the town. I always enjoy sunday mornings on the bike through town, plenty of walks of shame for the young ones and then salthill prom is nice on a dry day.

Was disappointed when I peeled off all the layers to see an AHR of 109 for the 60k as I felt I was working hard but the average pace wasn't too bad in the end at 27.5 kph so not too bad.

Spent the evening getting a new gatorskin tyre on - tight as a frogs arse but with google telling me to try a bit of washing up liquid for the last bit I finally got it sorted. I would be screwed in a race if it happened :rolleyes:

A poor week for biking and swimming but a decent weeks run with me making all the main run targets

This place is getting busier - first time I ever had to go to page 2 to find my log!

Monday Evening: I had hoped to get a run in but always with little time on Mondays I decided to go for a quick swim instead. Did 8 x 108 off 2.30 and legged it back home again - all of them were around the 2 minute mark with it getting slightly quicker the last few

Tuesday Lunch: Tempo tuesday and I was pleased to see that the distance stayed the same as last week. The legs were groaning when I went out - legs deffo don't like 2 days off running. Slightly tight for time I did 8k with the last 5k at 4:20 pace, I held this but certainly didn't feel as strong as last week. 4.12/4.22/4.18/4.18/4.15 Pace - 4.36 AHR - 154 Max - 180.

Wednesday Afternoon: Had a meeting on town and headed to the pool on the way home, I was mad as I had forgotten my watch so binned the planned 10 x 108. Ended up doing about 1300m of drills and 500 straight with pull buoy to finish

Wednesday Evening:
    Finally introduced some pain on the bike, my trial period of Winzip had expired so my plan to do a new Sufferfest movie was scuppered so I ended up doing Hell Hath No Fury. Main set was 2 x 20 mins and one TT of 3:30, enjoyed it but could have pushed the 2 x 20 harder but certainly more beneficial than the usual episode of Heroes and spinning the wheels gently that I have been doing of late AHR -129 Max - 156

Tomorrow and friday might be troublesome, a last minute call up to Dublin tomorrow and a full day of minding Pudsey on friday beckons. Although I should have time to get my interval session in tomorrow and there will be plenty of brownie points built up for a weekends training that has a tasty long run, although with a good friends 40th on the Saturday night the bike on Sunday will be junk miles

Thursday AM: Was in Dublin for the evening but had a chance to get the intervals done first. 6 x 800m at 4 minute pace with a minute recovery. The legs were a bit heavy - probably still feeling the effects of the Sufferfest the previous night. There is a problem with our stove and I was awaiting on a phone call from the Mr Fixit so my 1st two runs were interrupted as I had to answer the phone - both ended up being work related - so I was freezing my balls off trying to get them off the phone. Got through them but found them tougher than usual pace - 3.59/3.54/3.54/3.58/3.56/3.56

Friday Evening:
    Minding the young lad all day - juggling between Peppa Pig and stair climbing supervision (a great way to ensure a decent nap). I was able to get a bit of work done. Got down to the pool that evening where I forgot the watch again so just did 4 x 500m with the pull buoy

Saturday: My first blow out in a forth-night where once again I had to put the hands on the knees towards the end and endure the shame of the N17 horn blowers :o.

Plan was for 7k at 5 minutes and then 3k sets of 4.45/4.30 and 4.20. I was fine until I hit the drag towards the end of the 4.30's and I started to buckle fairly quickly after that, I talked myself into getting around the corner on to the N17 but caved at the small drag there 1.2k into the 4.20 section. Took a senior moment and then jogged the .8 and ran the last again at 4.20 pace. All in all 16k @ 4.47 pace. Things will need to improve rapidly if my target goal for Craughwell is going to be reached - what harm I am going much better than this time last year :)

Out for a 40th where I caught my friend "The Fishmonger" sipping on a bottle of Becks - the sneaky bastard he would nail me if he caught me at that. He is doing Barcelona Marathon in march and I expect him to take a nice chunk off my pb of 3.49. On the plus side I hit him for a lift home or I would tell the big drinkers that he was on the Becks so that saved me some money. He wouldn't tell me nothing about his training plan on the way home - looking forward to some good battles with him later in the year

Sunday: Headed off from the mothers towards Spiddal and I thought this was lovely, hungover and cold but I was flying. At that stage I should have realised the hearty waves I was giving to passing cyclists were coming back much more muted with a nod about as much as I got.

Two cyclists flew by me and one had a Trisport outfit on, I immediately thought it must have been Ronanmac and I wasnt going to take any crap from him this year so I set off in pursuit caught them coming into Spiddal (it wasnt Ronan) I went on for a few more kilometres and then decided I would turn and make up the 50 by going through Salthill.

As soon as I turned an icy blast of wind hit me and I spent the next 20k absolutely freezing into a nasty headwind. I stopped for one poor guy who was struggling to change a puncture his hands were so cold. Eventually going through Barna I caught up with a young girl on an old Moser bike, shorts, no gloves and a t-shirt and jersey was all she had on her and I was ashamed I was in such misery with all the layers I had on

Spinned the wheels and Chatted with her until I got to the turnoff (no way was I doing Salthill) and came home for 42k an an AHR of 117 average speed 25kph

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Have you invested in some lights yet???? :D

• Advertisement

Have you invested in some lights yet???? :D

No I might wait till I see some good offers when the days are getting longer, no real urgency with them as I take over Pudsey duties for the most part at weekends and give her a lie in

I hate recovery weeks everything feels so lethargic :(

Monday Evening: Just a swim, main set was 8 x 108 off 2.30. All in around 1.55-2.00. Need to bring these recovery times down soon. 1800m

Tuesday Afternoon:
    I has a relatively simple run and made an awful mountain of it. 8k easy run with 2k at 4.20. Struggled from the start, I got away with it this time as it was a recovery wek but I cant afford to take 2 days off on the running as I come back terrible. Huffed and puffed around in 4.47 average pace but this should have been much easier on the system

Tuesday Evening: Just a quick swim as a small window opened up, 1000m!

Wednesday: Nothing - work brought me down to the sports campus in UL for a few hours. Compared to my old days in NUIG, things have come on a bit for the students these days

Thursday:
    Intervals with a beautiful recovery of 3 minutes between each 800m, wasnt as easy as it should have been but all in around 3.55 pace

Thursday Evening: I was supposed to break out the Pussywagon, but by the time I had the turbo brought back up to the attic and the wheels changed I had ran out of time. However I have decided weather permitting I will use the TT bike this weekend. No point in shelling out big money on a race bike if I don't use it in races. Quickly hopped on with the proposed gear I was going to wear this weekend to see if everything fitted. Looks like I will be sporting three layers crowned with my spanking new BMC top. Probably overkill and I will be sweating like a bastard on the hill but it will be freezing on the bike

Other good news is that there was a takeovr in my ocal gym - doesnt look like they will be spending any money on badly needed improvements but they have adjusted the opening hours 6am-11pm mon-fri and and 8-9 on weekends. Slave drivers but offers me huge flexibility in the pool

Are you registered yet?

Starts at 10am which might be a problem for you being on the bike that early on Sunday.

You'll see me at the start, I'll wait for you afterwards. :p

Are you registered yet?

Starts at 10am which might be a problem for you being on the bike that early on Sunday.

You'll see me at the start, I'll wait for you afterwards. :p

No but I was a bit more proactive than usual and put the wheels in motion earlier this week. Unless the weather is atrocious I will be there.

Hard to know how to approach this - a world of pain awaits if you go out to hard

Going to wait for me after the bike leg........On the hill is it? - very considerate of you - you will need to be pulling out more than 185 watts - I reckon my wife would take you :p

catweazle wrote: »
    No but I was a bit more proactive than usual and put the wheels in motion earlier this week. Unless the weather is atrocious I will be there.

Words escape me! Are you made of sugar or something?
    Hard to know how to approach this - a world of pain awaits if you go out to hard

Cue P and . . . SIU!!
    Going to wait for me after the bike leg........On the hill is it? - very considerate of you - you will need to be pulling out more than 185 watts - I reckon my wife would take you :p

Did you not see the follow up post to that?

That's per leg.

Polar do L/R readings . . add them . . . ;)

*furiously digging out of a hole

• Advertisement

Weather dependent & worried about the pain of going out too hard???? Poor princess CW!!!! :D

You'll recover on the downhill section of the run. Dress appropriately and race hard. Then the elements or the cold won't bother you. HTFU :cool:

Weather dependent & worried about the pain of going out too hard???? Poor princess CW!!!! :D

You'll recover on the downhill section of the run. Dress appropriately and race hard. Then the elements or the cold won't bother you. HTFU :cool:

And why aren't you taking part in a race that is only a few kms up the road :confused:

And why aren't you taking part in a race that is only a few kms up the road :confused:

LOL...brownie points at an all time low!!!! ;) Plus I have "man flu" :D

Awh, can you not race without your ickle wingman?

Awh, can you not race without your ickle wingman?

Hes not much of a wingman - off like a hare at the start and you wont see him again till you get an email or text that evening on how I did

* Although he does laugh at all my jokes!

Now up to the turbo for a few seconds at race pace :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

An entertaining catch up :D This is a funny log, loads of funny lads in here! CW if you did find your manhood* and headed out this morning then I hope it went well, good to get out racing early in the year - it can provide a kick up the hole that we all need from time to time! Like myself in Tuam last week :o

*I'm waiting for the tennis** to finish and the hail and howling wind to stop before I go out for my LER :o

** only watching it for the tennis-point.com adverts :p;)

Worst weather I have ever raced in - no sign of Amphibianwimp - probably worried his tri suit advertising logos might get covered in dirt ;)

Will write up a little report later this evening - happy enough where I expected to go well didnt but what I wasn't expecting did!

Translation: Mediocre running but strong bike!

Friday: Not much just an easy 40 minutes on the turbo with the Pussywagon - I threw in a few digs to get the legs working but only for a few minutes

Saturday: Was supposed to get a decent cycle in but with it lashing rain and mindful of how poor I run after two days off I went for an easy run . Down to the bridge and back and threw in a few sprints to make to spice things up

Sunday Am: The young lad was woken up at around 4am by driving wind and rain so I am stuck there listening to it trying to sooth him to sleep. Went back to bed and told the missus there's no chance of me racing tomorrow in that.

Wind had died down a little and it was only heavy showers so without too much persuasion I got my ass in gear, that hard bastard Amphibianking will have my ass on boards if I am a no show :D

With the Pussywagon all loaded up in the car I decided to stick to my guns and bring that - but to leave the deep section wheels at home. Met the Banker at the parking space, hes going well so I said to myself I will try and give him a good run today

With a warm up interspersed with ducking under trees to avoid the heavier stuff we then headed off. I was moving well, a bunch of fast guys shot off ahead at the front and myself tucked in behind the banker and running with the leading female Marie Boyle from Trisport. I was going up the hills pretty well, towards the top we were behind the Banker and another lad from Galway Triathlon who were two abreast. I would guess it was Marie's plan but as soon as it started to level out she went up another gear and pushed by the lads on the left, I thought shag it and went after her on the right.

I was still going well behind herself and another Tri Sport member (fair play there was a lot from Trisport, probably lovely weather for those lads). The steep downhill section started and I proceeded to be taught a masterclass in downhill running by all behind me. I gradually lost the two Tri Sports ahead and the banker and the other lad flew by me as well. I was still feeling strong but I was too cautious worried about slipping in the mud and wouldn't let gravity take over like they did, lost a fair bit of ground all the way down. We hit the flat again towards the end and I started to come back at them, across into T1 nicely positioned just behind the banker and still feeling strong.

I had a reasonable transition but I lost time straight away to the Banker as he was using Pedal Cages so he was long gone - right I need a good bike now. Straight away I realized things were going well, there was a good few strung out in front of me and I was starting to reel them in up the first hill - I had a great bike passed 6 or 7 and no-one went by me. The weather was spitting down hailstones, I was lucky I was on a long straight so I just kept the head down until they passed. I had the right amount of clothes on so I was still holding up well. I was conscious with it being a duathlon that everyone I passed was a better runner so I needed to put time into them. Eventually I caught and passed the leading woman Marie - it took me ages and I was well impressed when I noticed she had pedal cages as well, we turned into a headwind and I must have rattled her as I presume no-one went by her before me and she took off like a shot, shes very strong on the bike. I had started to weaken and was distracted by my aero bottler tie-holder coming loose, no doubt a replacement strap would cost a fortune so I was trying to get it into the back pocket but the velcro kept getting caught in my snot wipe on the glove so I gave up and hoped it stayed on the glove. I just caught up to The Banker coming into T2 but I knew I was in trouble as he was using pedal cages.

This transition was a disaster, I clipped out at the turn when there was still a good bit to go down the lane so I had to shuffle down with the bike shoes. I then made a mess of getting my helmet off. I should have taken the gloves off but I didn't and couldn't get the clasp open, lost a lot of time here so finally ended up taking off the gloves, then another struggle getting the shoes on, my fingers were numb. Another two lads passed me at this stage I was fuming as I had worked so hard to get a lead on them on the bike

Off I went and I really struggled with the brick, halfway up the steepest hill I slowed to a power walk - whereupon Kojak went by me - a Tuam AC runner hes very strong on the run but weaker on the bike. I set out at a run again and kept behind him, up the smaller hills I felt I was stronger and we went by a Tri Sport guy but once again I was nailed on the downhill by him and I ended up fighting cramps on the downhill to boot (I was hoping the Skins would help my problems with cramps). He was out of sight and a look behind me and no-one near so cantered the rest of the way home for 15th place

I was happy enough with the performance - I was caught out with my poor downhill running and a poor second transition but was happy with the strong bike, I finally thought I did myself justice on the Pussywagon. I hit a new max of 185 bpm and I still think there could have been a strong finish if I had anyone near me. I would hope to do better the next time on a flat course

Which leads me to suggest that perhaps I might smooth talk the Mrs into a pass for next weekends Pedator duathlon - although this was the scene of a previous humiliation for Amphkingwimp so I assume he will dodge this too - plus the weather doesn't look promising for him very showery and blustery on Thursday and Friday with more continuous rain at the weekend :eek:

Fair play to you CW. You dodged a bullet today.

Late call yesterday that I'd to work today as the normal Sunday fellow was racing at some track meet.

The alignment of the planets means we return to the scene of my last drubbing by you in Kilcornan, exactly two years on from the last time. Mind you I was a stone heavier then & these are now my woods!

I'll be busy next week littering the trails with "CW this way" signs as my crafty back up plan :D

Good report, sounds like you're going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Well done CW!! Any thoughts to pedal cages yourself??

• Advertisement

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Well done CW!! Any thoughts to pedal cages yourself??

I would definitely consider them for duathlons as you have to change in and out of runners twice. If I had better transitions I would probably stick with the clip-ins regardless

However I don't take these races too seriously and I couldn't be arsed going off buying pedal cages and swapping them over so I will suffer on with the clip ins.

Looking like I wont be able to race Connemara anyways as Mrs C is heading to Dublin that weekend so baby sitting duty unless I can string one of the mothers to come along so this weekend might be it for me

Well done yesterday. Tough conditions too.

Are the results available online?

Well done yesterday. Tough conditions too.

Are the results available online?

Not that I know of, perhaps they are dependent on Mer to update the website as they had the excel sheet done before I left. No excuse to not stick it up on Facebook though, they must have a couple of hundred photos up there of the race itself

They're trying to edit it so it looks like I finished in 14th ;)

All set for Saturday, babysitter organised, relief from work for the hour. Bring your pedal cages!

They're trying to edit it so it looks like I finished in 14th ;)

All set for Saturday, babysitter organised, relief from work for the hour. Bring your pedal cages!

You will need to shave the head and wear bright colored running jerseys if you want to be mistaken for Kojak. Pain in the ass time for that race I just realised - right in the middle of the rugby :mad:

This isn't the mountain bike route is it?

Only 14k on the bike - oh that suits me sir!

I wonder would Pgibbo perhaps race or does his low body fat ratio prevent him from an appearance till June

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Fair play CW, well done. I did a couple of loops of the hill on saturday and it nearly killed me,never mind with a cycle in between. Nicely mucky up in parts up there.

I wonder would Pgibbo perhaps race or does his low body fat ratio prevent him from an appearance till June

Not as low as you might think!!!! :D Saturday is out unfortunately. Next week will be nuts for me so going to make the most of my training this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 monkeyb

Not that I know of, perhaps they are dependent on Mer to update the website as they had the excel sheet done before I left. No excuse to not stick it up on Facebook though, they must have a couple of hundred photos up there of the race itself

I don't believe any excuse is needed for not putting the times on facebook, there was no obligation to do so, and as for the photographs being put up, I do believe the photographers were not the timekeepers. Keep in mind please, you paid €10 to enter this race and these timekeepers are there as volunteers for the good of a club. And on such a bad day to have volunteers to do this is a credit to their club.

Results are available on the TI site

• Advertisement

monkeyb wrote: »
    I don't believe any excuse is needed for not putting the times on facebook, there was no obligation to do so, and as for the photographs being put up, I do believe the photographers were not the timekeepers. Keep in mind please, you paid €10 to enter this race and these timekeepers are there as volunteers for the good of a club. And on such a bad day to have volunteers to do this is a credit to their club.

My comment wasn't meant to cause offense. I am involved in my own clubs races every year so I know the time involved for volunteers and I commend anyone for helping out. I am a competitive creature and I have worked hard over the winter, its hard to compare your normal race times on such a difficult course so I like to compare my results with the other entrants that took part as I race against them regularly to see how I am progressing. So that's as far as it goes I was just looking forward to seeing the results on Sunday as I was rushing off when the excel sheet was being passed around - I will go to Tri Ireland and have a look.

Advertisement