Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting down the spoon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

In relation to the results, regardless of price, the expectation with the vast majority of people that do an event is that the results would be available online later that day. I'm not saying that's right or wrong, but it has become the norm and as such most people have that expectation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

catweazle wrote: »
    You will need to shave the head and wear bright colored running jerseys if you want to be mistaken for Kojak. Pain in the ass time for that race I just realised - right in the middle of the rugby :mad:

Can always pop up to my place afterwards to catch the rest of the game. Literally around the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭El Director

Well done CW on Sunday, a woeful day! All joking aside you got a great result and great to see progress! Do you think you paced it well? i.e. pushed a little too hard on the bike especially considering the conditions and the hill on the run? Was 185bpm MAX reached on the bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Well done CW on Sunday, a woeful day! All joking aside you got a great result and great to see progress! Do you think you paced it well? i.e. pushed a little too hard on the bike especially considering the conditions and the hill on the run? Was 185bpm MAX reached on the bike?

I would be in a coffin if I hit 185 on the bike :D That max was reached when I gave in to the brick going up the hill the 2nd time just off the bike - if I had stuck at it for another 30 seconds which I probably could have if I was honest and had given 100%, I would have been up and over the hill and could have taken a break on the flat section.

However the two less steep hills after that I took well, repassed one guy and came up behind Kojak again. Perhaps walking the first hill, improved my run after that as those lads might have been shagged from the effort up the first hill.

I think on a flat course I could have gone harder on the first run. I know my first k was 5.21 and - I "think" the 2nd was 3.46 but I made a mess of the Garmin and realized well into the bike that I hadn't restarted it from transition 1 :o

I didn't think I went too hard on the bike, heart rate was in mid 140's for most of it and gradually went into high 130's towards the end as I faded slightly. Besides being riddled with cramps and those bloody hills that I couldnt run down I felt I could have finished strong when I hit the flat if there was anybody to race

Thats why I am hoping to do the Predator race next weekend - I think I can do better. Although my legs feel like I have ran a marathon - messes up my training for the 10 miler, but I swore I would race as much as possible this year so I can at least stick to that for the first month.

Am heading to Belfast for the next few days anyways so training isn't going to be great. A man with my cultured accent is not going to be asking for directions while jogging around up there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭El Director

I would be in a coffin if I hit 185 on the bike :D That max was reached when I gave in to the brick going up the hill the 2nd time just off the bike - if I had stuck at it for another 30 seconds which I probably could have if I was honest and had given 100%, I would have been up and over the hill and could have taken a break on the flat section.

However the two less steep hills after that I took well, repassed one guy and came up behind Kojak again. Perhaps walking the first hill, improved my run after that as those lads might have been shagged from the effort up the first hill.

I think on a flat course I could have gone harder on the first run. I know my first k was 5.21 and - I "think" the 2nd was 3.46 but I made a mess of the Garmin and realized well into the bike that I hadn't restarted it from transition 1 :o

I didn't think I went too hard on the bike, heart rate was in mid 140's for most of it and gradually went into high 130's towards the end as I faded slightly. Besides being riddled with cramps and those bloody hills that I couldnt run down I felt I could have finished strong when I hit the flat if there was anybody to race

Thats why I am hoping to do the Predator race next weekend - I think I can do better. Although my legs feel like I have ran a marathon - messes up my training for the 10 miler, but I swore I would race as much as possible this year so I can at least stick to that for the first month.

Am heading to Belfast for the next few days anyways so training isn't going to be great. A man with my cultured accent is not going to be asking for directions while jogging around up there

LOL, you'll be grand, no excuses! It'll be interesting to see how you go next weekend if you decide to go for it. Keep up the progress! :cool:

• Advertisement

There's racing more and racing for the sake of it. Not sure 2 weekends in a row is ideal especially if it's impacting on training for the Craughwell 10 which seems to be fairly important to you.

Planning a cycle on Sunday if you're about.

A bit like two fatter versions of Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao, this time its my turn to dodge Amphiankingwest. After my 1st presentation to Ulster rugby a casual enquiry into where I was staying, drew loud laughs and a warning to stay in my room and don't let them hear my accent. All I can say is that the hotel looked nice on the Internet. Came down with some type of tummy bug to boot - so am grounded from racing by the mrs. :rolleyes:

One of my worst weeks training in years, a swim on monday and tuesday, an easy 5k run early doors on wednesday and that's it :(

Feel a bit better today so hoping I will salvage something with a run and cycle this weekend

Saturday Afternoon: Took the wire a little bit by going to watch the club duathlon and then heading for a long run. Concerned a little by the illness the plan was to take it handy and just run a decent distance if all was well. Forgot to charge the Garmin so ran by feel, reckon approx 16k for a 1 hour 25 min run. Took ages for the heart rate to read accurately and when it did at around the 10k mark I was in high 130's pace. Thats a little bit too easy usually so I picked it up for the last 6k, felt good coming back in towards the gym and would have loved to have ran another 5k as I think endurance is my biggest worry at the moment but I would have been killed. A late night as i had the match recorded - delighted for O Driscoll, along with Harrington who seems to be coming back into form I can't think of any sportsman I admire more

Sunday Afternoon: Again after mild annoyance yesterday I had to tread carefully again today. Eventually managed to get out and cycle to the mothers house, lied a little about how long that would take so managed to squeeze in 42k at 115 HR. Tough cycle - headwind all the way this time I was laughing at the cyclists coming back in, full of waves and salutes, while I was down on the bars grinding in the rain and wiping snot off my nose. Cycled just past Furbo turned around and enjoyed the short tailwind coast into the mothers house at 30kph+

Very poor weeks training but we have scored the uncles pad in Ballynahinch Castle for the weekend so I expect a good weekend this week if I can work out how to get the bike out there. My suggestion of cycling out and back didn't go down well. Fairly sure I have a bike rack somewhere out in the shed so time to root it out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Ballynahinch. What a fairy tale place that is. Lucky you. :D

I have a bike rack if you want it for the weekend. Some nice cycling out around there! :cool:

• Advertisement

pgibbo wrote: »
    I have a bike rack if you want it for the weekend. Some nice cycling out around there! :cool:

While I think I made a balls of putting my one on last night (It was last set up for my old car which I got rid of about 3-4 years ago) So obviously I haven't got much use out of it. However it got my bike home from the mothers in one piece this afternoon so it will do the job.

Yes loads of great cycling routes......when I should be focusing on running :rolleyes:

239520.jpg

Enjoy the weekend, beware the rack!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

I did see this happening once, if anyone know Athy there was a race and changing rooms in a community centre on the Comer road but it had bars to stop caravans from entering, and a poor fvck drove in and the saddles got caught and ripped off, 2 frames and the roof of the car destroyed.
    you would just sit there and cry,

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Just catching up on your thread CW and a great report on the duathlon, well done.

Monday Evening: Got out for a swim before dinner - the 10 x 108 off 2.30 were probably too easy with the recovery time so I brought them into off 2.20 after the 4th set. Swimming is going a little better, I was a bit thrashy for the 1st 4 sets coming in at around 1.45-1.48. Decreased the recovery and slowed it down a little and worked harder under the water and the next 6 were around the 1.48 -1-51 mark for less energy used. Total 2000m

Tuesday Lunch: I only noticed just going out that my altered marathon plan stopped last weekend so a tempo run of 65 minutes awaited me :eek: This wasn't going to happen so I did a half assed amendment on the fly and decided I would run hard to the 5k turnaround point and then easy back. The first 4k was beautiful, a decent tailwind and I was averaging 4.08 pace, a dirty stitch, a turn out of the tailwind, general laziness and me banking my time for the last kilometre and I came in at 4.15 pace overall.

The reverse 5 back was much slower with the headwind and me struggling to get my heart rate back into the 150's. 10k @ 4.41 pace AHR = 156

Tuesday Night: I might as well take advantage of these new late night openings in the gym. Tough to swim after a big feed. After a warm up and some pull bouy work I decided I needed to finalize a 200m time forInteresteds new swim sheet so shot out, died a death after 4 lengths and held on for the next 8 for a 3.30 216m swim.

A lot to work on particularly my speed as the 108 and 216 are a good bit down on what I was doing last year but at least I have my times
    108 - 1.38
    216 - 3.30
    396 - 6.52

Will start them next week - session 2 looks like it will be unbridled pain 12 x 50 kick and then 16 x 108 off 2.05 :(

On more joyful news - back to 75kgs. 78 before xmas, 80 on January 1st and 75 now. None of this crackers snack malarkey that Shotgun is justifying as a non treat, besides a slice of apple tart that the mother in law forced on me (shes back on to me again about my weight so that's a good sign), some sensationally good eating habits have seen me right. If I could get to 72kgs for July I will be delighted. I seem to be much stronger for this weight than I was last summer - probably my old tubby bodies initial reaction to the weight coming off - its more down with it now!

Well done on the trimming of the fat.

I'd better start getting serious about it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

session 2 looks like it will be unbridled pain 12 x 50 kick and then 16 x 108 off 2.05 :(

Be smart about it - 8*50's kick off a slightly easier time done well will be alot more beneficial to you. Also since you're doing 8metres extra per 100 you could also afford to add another 5' to the interval time. That said, if you've submitted 108 times for your 100 etc into the first sheet then, just get on with it and stop with the anxiety on here ;)

interested wrote: »
    just get on with it and stop with the anxiety on here ;)

Yes Coach :o

Wednesday Lunch: Frustrating - I had planned to do Fight Club during lunch. I should have checked the old laptop up in the attic had the right codecs so screwed myself out of about 20 minutes trying to get it sorted. Ended up doing a half assed cut down version.

Wednesday Evening: A rush of blood after successfully getting a TV wall bracket mounted in the bedroom led me to giving my rusty chain and cassette on the road bike a go. With my step by step guide on Slowtwitch beside me I got them both replaced with pretty little hassle. Was delighted with myself as I am a disaster with DIY - my LBS shop charged me 150 euros for this last year. Had a spare cassette and got the chain for less than a tenner on one of the wiggle January sales - nice one!

Thursday Lunch: Intervals and I was close to dodging them by blaming packing for Ballynahinch. We decided to take friday off at the mast minute. Finally got out and I did 5 x 800m at 4:00 pace. Probably should have been more but this will do for now. Struggled a bit particularly into the wind but was happy I got out. 3.58/3.52/3.58/3.52/3.54

Friday Am:
    I love this place - super spot for training. I am hopeful we might badger it one more time in the summer as I can get into the lake outside the door for the morning swim. 50k Cycle - Ballynahinch-Clifden-Ballyconeely-Roundstone-Ballynahinch. 25.4 Kph AHR - 120 Hardly saw a car on the road :)

I was given a permit for a quick run after so a quick run through the trails in the estate for another 4k

Saturday AM: The uncle is a wine distributor so their is a large rack of expensive wine ready to be drank. I went for a Malbec and staggered up the stairs after polishing off the bottle. A rip roaring hangover had me dreading the long run. The plan was to Roundstone and back which is a lovely 22k run along the river and then the sea, I turned back after 9 justifying that it was at least the longest run this year so far. I was at around 5.15 pace for the first 9 but with a slight tailwind and me sweating out some of the alcohol I was able to pick it up and came in at 5:00 flat pace 18k @ 5:00 pace AHR - 154

Sunday AM: I was a little better behaved last night but the little man had a cold/cough which I think I caught off him and he was up at 5.30 coughing and spluttering. I had been given the permit to cycle home which I was a bit worried about, with no phone or Internet I couldn't remember if the route would be 90k or 120k. My worries receded a little when I noticed I was going at 32 kph for the first few kilometres for little effort - lovely a tailwind all the way home. Really enjoyed this spin - even had a few steady efforts to catch and pass a few cyclists ahead of me

Kept it around the 32kph for the first two hours but gradually faded towards the end and with the wind going more to a sidewind the pace l slowed a little. 87k @ 30.9kph AHR - 122

Got home just in time for the rugby. Whilst I have thought England have flattered to deceive pretty much since the world cup of 2003, I think they are becoming the real deal now. You could see them going up a gear when they lost Haskell to the bin. Very impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

The uncle is a wine distributor...

Perfect start to any story!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Ah Malbec nice stuff alright. I know how you felt:)

Great stuff on shedding the weight, Id better get a move on myself

Good stuff CW.

Bike on Sunday? Easy 2.5hrs planned

pgibbo wrote: »
    Good stuff CW.

Bike on Sunday? Easy 2.5hrs planned

Hmmm i cant see steady anywhere in your post - so must be a gibbo recovery week - I'm in :)

Should be ok for sunday, must drop the chain whip over in triumph one of these days

Should be ok for sunday, must drop the chain whip over in triumph one of these days

You can do my new chain for me so!!! :D

I have been a little demotivated lately for the Craughwell 10 miler. A 3 day stag in Liverpool has been announced for the bank holiday weekend the week before and listening to the stag himself telling me who is heading over fills me with fear and dread! I was close to entering Rosses Point as well this week but that's the weekend after the wedding so I am not going to double up on my woes.

Its early season yet and I am not going over to Liverpool on Paddys weekend minding myself - hes a good friend so I will embrace the madness. The beauty about my age is this is more than likely the one and only wedding this year so I should be in the clear after that except for some 40ths.

Monday: Rarely get a chance to do much on monday and I had a racking cough and cold so just took the training window for fear I wouldn't get it again and rested up in the steamroom and jacuzzi

Tuesday Lunch: I have started a course in Castlebar on tuesday evenings so just a run at lunch. I had planned to do 10k at a decent clip as a tempo run but dropped the head after 4k and turned around to head home. A couple of slow kilometres and then a pick up for the last 2 again 8k @ 4.39 pace

Wednesday Lunch: Its hard to get a full hour in on the turbo at lunch - too much distractions - at least when you are running you are uncontactable. Did as much as I could of Sufferfest's revolver and was glad time had run out as after 10 of those 1 minute all out I was gone. HRM was all over the place but I reckon towards the end I was hitting the high 160's

Wednesday Evening: I decided to head out straight after work to the pool so I could get to watch most of the Man U - Madrid game but I had forgotten there are two kids swimming classes on until 7. With mid term on the pool was jammed so this was useless really, did about 1200m

Thursday Lunch:
    I wasnt sure how many to do here (will sort out my training plans this weekend) and with my wife around for mid term she made a comment that it must be intervals today. I always get quiet narky as I dread these beforehand. Decided to 6 x 800 with 60 seconds recovery which was one more than last week. Struggled big time towards the end but got them done and then I get into a great humor as they are out of the way for another week. 3.56/3.59/3.54/3.59/3.55/3.54

Thursday Evening: With a movie promised for Valentines night - another crap swimming session in with the kids. 1350m done. Film wasn't bad, Taken 2 but the end was a bit twee. Fine body count though which kept me happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭griffin100

Taken 2 as a valentines movie? You old romantic you!!!!!!! That said we went to see the new Die Hard last night. If it's body count you want you won't be disappointed, but leave your brain at the door :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

griffin100 wrote: »
    Taken 2 as a valentines movie? You old romantic you!!!!!!! That said we went to see the new Die Hard last night. If it's body count you want you won't be disappointed, but leave your brain at the door :)

Great I promised the wife a film this weekend for Vday so Die hard it is, thanks

CW - the hardroad is up now (ohh that could be read in many different ways)

griffin100 wrote: »
    Taken 2 as a valentines movie? :)

She likes the Spy movies - no horrors, superhero or blatant action movies permitted however. But the Jason Bourne movies, Daniel Craig (only) Bond movies, Denzel Washington is usually another safe choice. Shes well able for a romantic comedy but seeing as I don't ask her to watch a horror or martial arts movie I am not expected to watch a Jennifer Aniston movie. The beauty of two TV rooms

I don't know why but I never liked Bruce Willis - perhaps Pulp Fiction is the only one I thought he was good in (although I haven't seen Looper)

Its probably because I am old enough to remember his Moonlighting TV Series days!

BennyMul wrote: »
    Great I promised the wife a film this weekend for Vday so Die hard it is, thanks

CW - the hardroad is up now (ohh that could be read in many different ways)

Good man I will leave that up till Tuesday to give Trig a chance if he wants to take it, am up in the office on tuesday so will throw up another one then.

1.50 long - will be saving that for a wet sunday and the turbo!

• Advertisement

Looper is alright. Just alright.

Advertisement