Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting down the spoon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Looper is alright. Just alright.

Those time travel ones can be awful complicated anyways. I am still getting over "The prime Directive" in Star Trek :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

catweazle wrote: »
    Those time travel ones can be awful complicated anyways. I am still getting over "The prime Directive" in Star Trek :o

This one breaks all the rules as laid down by Back to the Future!

Friday Lunch: Just 40 minutes on the turbo, forgot the heart rate monitor but said enough to getting of the bike and going downstairs again.

Saturday Lunch: The wife has been a bit run down the last few days - so getting training in the last week or so has been a struggle. With the little man in tow all day - I was able to get a small window before my sister arrived in the mothers house. I wasn't sure again what to do here, I had visions of 20k but the timeline was a bit sharp for that. I ended up doing 17.5k at 4.46 pace. AHR - 154.

A strange run the energy levels ebbed and flowed, I dropped the head and justified that I was pushing my luck at around the 14k mark coming out to Bearna and turned for home whereas a slight tailwind and a mostly drop in descent had me back running in the low 4.30's for the last three and then a sprint up the hill to finish where I felt very strong. HR was very steady - when it kicked in after 3-4k it more or less stayed in mid 150's till towards the end where it started to drift

So in ways while I couldn't imagine holding 4.20 pace for this run next month, I did realize later on I was within 30 seconds of my 10 mile pb from a few years back which was a great run at the time for me. I had great endurance in those days as it was coming up to my first marathon so its looking like if I can get through the training and stag I am in fine fettle to put a big dent in that at least

3 runs in a week is not enough for me - but I am loathe to slack off on the bike, its bad enough already with the swimming gone to pot

Sunday AM:
    Around the 2 hour mark local roads with Pgibbo where he probably was able to sniff out every drag within a 30k radius of the house. Nice decent heart rate of 128 for the trip, I was working hard near the end. Will do me good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Sunday AM: Around the 2 hour mark local roads with Pgibbo where he probably was able to sniff out every drag within a 30k radius of the house. Nice decent heart rate of 128 for the trip, I was working hard near the end. Will do me good.

You started like a March hare at a coursing meet. :D Enjoyable spin. Just work on those cornering skills! I don't fancy having to call Mrs CW to tell her you went over a ditch taking a bend :rolleyes:

Monday Evening: Had a slight bit longer time to play with and with kids in the pool again I snuck in an easy run before the swim. 4k at 5.03 pace. Nothing great about the swim 1200m - have to start getting more time here

Tuesday Lunch: A decent tempo run - first for a while. Started out with the intention of doing 13k without about 8-10 of it at a tempo pace in the mid 4.30's. But took a call just before lunch and 13 became 10. Off I went and as usual I start out too fast with the first k in the mid 4.30's, at that stage I decided I might as well keep it going so the first 5k to the turnaround averaged about 4.24 pace. I had an old John Digweed set in the ipod and he is a whore for building up the house beat so with the music kicking in I decided to push a little, did another 3k averaging around 4.15 pace to get me down to 4.20 pace for the 8k and then trotted home the last 2k. AHR for 8k - 165 Max-178

I was happy enough with this
    • Could I have run faster - I certainly could have
    • Could I have run longer - Absolutely
    • Could I have run another 8k - No chance :D
    Still decent running for me so no complaints from the Catweazle

Wednesday Lunch: Legs felt no tiredness from yesterday so pushed up a gear every ten minutes for 40 on the turbo. Was working hard for the last ten

Wednesday Evening: A better swim - Session 1 on Interested's new plan. I cheated on the kicking, used fins and cut them short when I met one of my wife's workmates so I had to chat with her for a few minutes. Not too hard of a session 4 x 216 off 4.35 with the pull bouy and 6 x 108 off 2.15 was the main set.

Need to get three swims in a week with decent yardage, this 1000m here and there is doing me no good.

On another note - I have been informed to get out and enjoy the good weather for the Connemara Duathlon. So hopefully another race outing all going well this weekend

• Advertisement

Thursday Evening: Didnt manage to get out at lunch so an evening run down by the local industrial estate - with the likelihood that I was racing saturday I took it easy. 3 x 700ms intervals with 2 minutes recovery in the middle of the run which came in at 3.58/3.54/3.48 pace. Nice and easy and then a quick 600ms in the pool before heading home

Friday Lunch: An easy 40 minutes on the turbo.
    Friday Evening: Another 600m in the pool while waiting for Pudsy to be dropped into me for his swim

Saturday Race:
    Tri Connemara Duathlon and I bigged up the intimidation factor in case Ronanmac was racing by putting on the full paraphernalia on the Pussywagon. The TT bike always looks like a different bike with the S80's on it. Ronanmac was as expected on marshalling duties so the plan was to see if I could match Marie Boyle on the first run and take her overall. Met the Banker in transition, the race entry fees alone must build up for him, fair play he is at every local event that's going.

Went for a jog with El D which was more of a chinwag than anything else, we both agreed it was a shame that Pgibbo wasn't out in such good weather.

Off we went and I had hoped to go well on the run here, I deliberately didn't wear the Garmin but I knew fairly quickly I was going out too hard. I had gone past Marie and tucked in behind the Banker and El D, this run near killed me. I suppose the knowledge of coming into Knockma made me hold off at the first stage but I quickly realised this course was as tough. Legs were gone and I was going backwards in placings big style. Marie flew by me on the downhill section unusually for me I was never so glad to see transition and the bike section.

The bike started off fairly poorish, I was a little deflated from the poor run and I was having trouble getting my right foot into the shoe. A drafting train of 3 went flying by me and this pushed my righteous indignation dial to 11. I busted my balls to catch them and I gave out to each of them going by - bastards wouldn't even look at me!

At this stage I thought hmmm I am having a good bike again here, better keep going and I started to overtake a few more. A fairly flat course and calm day suits me and just as I was getting the vocal chords ready to give out more verbals coming towards a few more drafters in high viz when I heard some noise coming from the TT helmet.

The blasted top panel had come loose so I had to take it off and hold it in one hand. It was my own fault, I had got it on the cheap with the provisio that the binding wasn't great and had done nothing about it. I didn't need any more excuses than that and I rolled into T1 after the first lap of 2 looking a bit silly with the earlier versions of the Star Trek Enterprise on my head. Truth be told I was secretly glad I was able to dodge the 2nd run :o

Besides that I enjoyed getting out on such a lovely day, a lovely scenic drive out and a tough course particularly the run section. Well done to Ronanmac and the lads from Trisport.

The TT helmet panel was glued back when I got home and seems fine again now

Sunday Am: I was very tempted to go for a long bike on such a good day but with the legs not too taxed after yesterday a long run was the right call. An interesting run, when I had enough sweat worked up to turn on the Polar, I was suprised to see I was still in the high 120's for 5k at 5 minute pace, the legs must have been a little more tired than the heart as it didnt seem that easy.

I picked it up after 10k and the heart rate was still very low for 4.45 pace and I was feeling great, picked it up again for the last few k and my legs had said enough is enough at this stage and I was struggling in the low 4.20's again with heart rate holding in low 150's. Finished in 4.52 pace for 17.5k with the AHR=141 Max - 155

No more recovery weeks now till the Paddy Weekends stag and the focus will be on getting in 4/5 runs rather than the 3 I am doing.

Ordinarily I would say bad luck on the helmet - however you seem happier to have dodged the second run :D

A cracking day for racing too. Are the results online?

pgibbo wrote: »
    Ordinarily I would say bad luck on the helmet - however you seem happier to have dodged the second run :D

A cracking day for racing too. Are the results online?

Looking at seeing where you would have come if you had turned up....................I am not mentioning tardy results ever on this log again after what happened the last time :D

However I did see this on line

We don’t have all of the results yet from yesterday’s Conamara Duathlon as a number of sign on sheets were given in error to the Triathlon Ireland official. We hope to have the results up by tomorrow evening, or by Tuesday at the latest. Apologies, and thanks again for taking part.

Looking at seeing where you would have come if you had turned up....................I am not mentioning tardy results ever on this log again after what happened the last time :D

I don't give any substance to those type of comparisons. A waste of time really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Hi cw! :D I've been thinking about our conversation yesterday about your indecision to run DCM...and I'm willing to pace you on the day if that will help sweeten the pot and get you to commit. I really don't mind. ;):)

• Advertisement

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Hi cw! :D I've been thinking about our conversation yesterday about your indecision to run DCM...and I'm willing to pace you on the day if that will help sweeten the pot and get you to commit. I really don't mind. ;):)

How can he say no to an offer like that? Man up and run it CW :pac::pac::pac::pac:

(let the shaming begin....)

I'm sure I could even carrry some of your gels for you if needed.

Dory Dory wrote: »
    How can he say no to an offer like that? Man up and run it CW :pac::pac::pac::pac:

The cheek of you :eek:

I would expect depending on your time in Boston to be pacing the plum 4 hour Dory train, whereupon close to a thousand sub 4 runners will genuflect and throw their spare cola bottles at your feet at the end of it. Or will you be gunning for a big pb in Dublin ;)

Pgibbo, once again I have to remind you that I am the current Marathon champion of both Corbally North and South - perhaps if yourself or Sean (or that pony tailed young lad I used to see) come out of retirement and beat my electric paced 3.49.59 I will consider it :cool:

More than likely will do DCM but I will place a pb that I can stand proud over in a 1/2 marathon as the main priority this year.

The cheek of you :eek:

I would expect depending on your time in Boston to be pacing the plum 4 hour Dory train, whereupon close to a thousand sub 4 runners will genuflect and throw their spare cola bottles at your feet at the end of it. Or will you be gunning for a big pb in Dublin ;)

Pgibbo, once again I have to remind you that I am the current Marathon champion of both Corbally North and South - perhaps if yourself or Sean (or that pony tailed young lad I used to see) come out of retirement and beat my electric paced 3.49.59 I will consider it :cool:

More than likely will do DCM but I will place a pb that I can stand proud over in a 1/2 marathon as the main priority this year.

Belfast in May.

Sh1t or get off the pot.

I may be tempted to shave 3mins 36secs off my time :pac:

I missed the small print.

I've a free entry to and a lift there and back for you at the Kinvara Half on Saturday if you want it.

You'll even get a t-shirt, medal and goody bag and the chance to beat me over 1/2 marathon. :p

I missed the small print.

I've a free entry to and a lift there and back for you at the Kinvara Half on Saturday if you want it.

You'll even get a t-shirt, medal and goody bag and the chance to beat me over 1/2 marathon. :p

I bet you decided to wait to tell me until after my usual scorching tuesday lunchtime tempo run........appreciate the offer but not sure if this would be a good idea with Craughwell in mind and my longest run this year has only been 18k :confused:

Let me talk to my race manager (wife) and see what she has lined up for me this weekend, perhaps taking it easy and "jogging" beside you for the race might be a good compromise :P

I bet you decided to wait to tell me until after my usual scorching tuesday lunchtime tempo run........appreciate the offer but not sure if this would be a good idea with Craughwell in mind and my longest run this year has only been 18k :confused:

Let me talk to my race manager (wife) and see what she has lined up for me this weekend, perhaps taking it easy and "jogging" beside you for the race might be a good compromise :P

Being perfectly honest I offered it to someone else first as their cause may have been more fitting and then thought who can I pick on :)

I've no problem jogging around with you as long as its a sub 1:45 jog.

I'll have the running groups dealt with by 9:20 ready to head home for a shower and back in the shop for the morning.

Make it a long progression run. Mail me if its on the cards and I'll get you entered this evening.

Monday Evening: A swim but cant remember how long think it was around 2000m

Tuesday Lunch:
    I decided to run a bit longer and ease off on the pace for this tempo run - After a 4.57 1st k it was time to pick it up. First time I have ran the 13k route in a long time and lo and behold the Doberman was waiting for me again. Stopped the Garmin and walked slowly by the house but this was no good either and again loads of roaring bad dog, bad dog with him making a few lunges for me was the order of the day. Very pissed off over this - I am going to have to just try and stick it out - and hopefully I might catch the owner some day and give some veiled threats about a dog warden, you just know hes not going to come out when its going on. Its not nice at all when its such a big dog.

Anyways Garmin back on and got moving again - brought it down to a jog after 11k @ 4.31 pace AHR-154 Max - 168. Certainly my 10k pb of 45 minutes will be beaten handy enough

Wednesday Lunch: Only a reasonable effort on the turbo. While I have done well on the bike this year in both duathlons, a lot of this is from the hard work from last year that I was never able to produce again after Triburgh. Will step it up big time after Craughwell

Wednesday Evening: As usual a disaster of a swim, too many kids in the pool getting lessons, I snuck in 600ms of dodging kids before Pudsy was dropped in for his own dip with me.

Thursday Lunch: With the prospective of a lot of chest puffing and nostril flaring being the order of the day a reasonably difficult run awaits me on saturday in the Kinvara Rock and Road 1/2 Marathon (thanks Amphkingwest). I decided to dial these back a little bit to leave something in my legs, so instead of the usual 800m splits at 4 minute pace with 60 seconds recovery, I said I would push them out to 4.10. Its only 10 seconds over what I was doing but what a difference it makes - found these very comfortable. Did 7 x 800 and 1 x 1k to finish all around the 4.05 pace

Thursday Evening:
    After being badgered, chastised and baited by Interested for the last few weeks about my swimming (mind coach supreme). I was determined to get a 400m TT time in for February, having being foiled yesterday I went down again today and there was one lane available with a breast stroker in it.

Tried the intimidation factor to get rid of him - out come the flippers, paddles, pull bouys, kickboard and water bottle...........no dice

Then a bit of arm swinging for a warm up on the deck - still nothing

A dive in and furious swimming up and down for a few lengths - success, he stopped swimming clockwise and kept to one side of the lane.

That will do nicely

The first thing I noticed is that my beautiful top of the water form that used to last for 6 lengths before the lactate kicked in only lasts for 3 lengths now. However while the arms and legs were killing me and the form had gone - the engine was still going and the breathing was steady.

Came in on 6.40 on the nose to take 13 seconds off January's time. Delighted with this, while the distances I am swimming in each session is pathetic still, at least I have been getting to the pool much more regularly so that probably stood to me

Ooooo.....half marathon on Saturday?? :D Delicious! (cue the trash talk) Any goals, besides actually finishing an event? ;)

Oh....and nice cocky pool b@stard role playing there. Certainly copping that attitude contributed to the whole mindset that helped to smash your PB. Well done! :)

• Advertisement

Nice work on the 400.

What's the target for Saturday? Best of luck with it. I assume you're using it as a training run or are you going to push it?

Where's the doberman? I've yet to come across him. Knowing my luck I'll see him on my run tomorrow :D

No a training run - Sean is looking for a progression run that should finish in the low 1.40's - that should be ok for me!

Don't think you run that route, its a lovely 13k from my house, down to the bottom and turn left for Corofin instead of the Sawmills, about another 1k down that road you go by a small garden centre sign, take the right there and its a nice loop that brings you back on to the Corofin road.

Bastard is one of the last houses down that road - he has been there for years but only having problems with him recently - perhaps its the wooly hat I wear this time of year.

No a training run - Sean is looking for a progression run that should finish in the low 1.40's - that should be ok for me!

Didn't want to push too hard on your first Kinvara :p

Friday Afternoon: An easy 40 minutes on the turbo

Saturday Morning: Kinvara Rock and Road 1/2 Marathon

March 2010 - A 10 mile race in Craughwell that I came on on 1.15.xx. I was delighted with this time, although I was in training for a sub 4 attempt in the Connemara Full. I started too fast but hung on well and beat a few guys I didnt think I would get near at the time.

October 2010: A 1.44.30 1/2 Marathon time in perfect conditions on a super fast course in Salthill. I nearly killed myself in the last mile trying to get under 1.45

Particularly after such a poor year last year you wonder is it worse I am getting. But todays run in Kinvara confirmed running wise I am in fine fettle.

Theres a few cherished items of clothing stuffed somewhere up in the attic, a Galway U-16 and U-18 football jersey and a Connacht combined rules U-15 jersey. Today a banana yellow Amphibian King technical T-shirt joined the holy trinity as yes I was now a sponsored athlete. I felt the extra pressure immediately as fellow entrants immediately checked out what runners I was wearing and others stopped short when they saw me for fear I would cast a disapproving eye on their poor running gait.

Anyways away I went with Amphkingwest with an agreement that we would run a low 1.40's effort - this should be comfortable for me although I was worried about my endurance having never ran more than 18k since last September. Very quickly I realised we were going at sub 1.40 pace but I certainly was not going to give him any encouragement with the summer battles ahead so I stuck with him.

Beautiful day and a tough course - some real long stretches of road in front of us which I love - reminds me of Swinford. Came through 10k in 47.30 and it was effortless at this stage. 16k came and went in 1.15, this was really encouraging for the Craughwell 10 miler, still very comfortable and heart rate was still in low 150's.

I thought Amphkingwest not long back from injury would crack around here but the stubborn bastard picked things up for the last few kilometres. (Unless I come off the bike close to him I have no chance of catching him in Swinford)

My legs started to crack at around the 18k mark - I wasn't surprised, it was the fastest and longest I ran all year at this stage. I was ok though only 3k to go so I wasn't worried, some nasty hills towards the end and a big increase in pace for the home stretch brought us in at 1.39.01. 21.1 @ 4.41 pace AHR-157.

So a big pb with plenty more in the tank I would hope for an assault on a sub 1.30 towards the end of the year all going well :)

Would do this race again, good athmosphere, nice finish down by the pier and a challenging course.

Sunday Evening: A desperate days training - had to kiss ass big time for yesterday so mowing lawns (Cant believe its that time of year again), stacking wood and pretending to be interested in looking at radiator covers was the order of the day. Got in an hour before dinner on the turbo.

Oh my....catweazle....you get a ginormous, enthusiastic, very-happy-for-you WHOOP WHOOP from yours truly!! :D That's some serious damage you did to your PB. Keep that up, and you'll be pacing me at DCM (over my dead body). ;) Well done you! :)

It was a pleasure running with you on Saturday. That dawning realisation around 15/16k that we both realised we were comfortable and well on for going 1:40 and not the conservative 1:45 that we set out for. Little did we realise that a bit of teasing at the end caused us to be 1:39:01 and not 1:38:59!

Happy chappys allround, but my legs are shot to ribbons! Grass cutting duties today also.

Must see about a Craughwell entry, pace you there ;)

Congrats CW & AK. Nice pbs there. Nice that ye were both driving the other one on. Should be a fun summer of grudge matches! :cool:

As for the grass - I'm holding off on starting that. Too fcuking early for my liking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Great running catweazle, you seem to be in good shape!
    I agree with pgibbo on the grass front, way to early to start cutting. My lawn is a jungle, but I start that lawnmower, I'm tied to cutting grass until October. Here's to holding off as long as possible!

Happy chappys allround, but my legs are shot to ribbons! Grass cutting duties today also.
    ;)
    As for the grass - I'm holding off on starting that. Too fcuking early for my liking
    ronanmac wrote: »
    I agree with pgibbo on the grass front, way to early to start cutting.

I agree but when the wifes brothers lawn is like a snooker table beside us and the mother in laws is immaculate as well its like being inside a pressure cooker, I have had 3 or 4 pointed comments from the mother in law that the weather was due to get wet again soon over the weekend and I cracked under the strain. However to gain back a small smidgen of manliness I told her to f-off when the strimmer was suggested (the wife not mother in law)

I will admit it was a pleasure to take the newly purchased trailer out of cold storage and not be on my knees begging the brother in law for his Ifor Williams as in previous years.

With the Humbert two weeks earlier than last year I can tell you right now that there will be war with the brother in law over the bog this year. He will not understand me wanting to save my lower back and hamstrings for a stupid race, the bog comes before life itself in his eyes.

What was I doing marrying into a redneck family :confused:

• Advertisement

Monday Evening: The usual crappy swim, cant remember the distance probably about 1k or so

Tuesday Lunch: Whilst having no stiffness whatsoever I obviously was still feeling the effects of saturdays run and quickly fell to pieces on this run and took the easy option at the crossroads and turned left for the 8k route instead of the 10 or 13k option to the right. 8k at 4.34 pace

Wednesday Lunch:
    40 minutes on the turbo going up through the gears.

Wednesday Night: Got off my ass for a change and headed down to the pool - wasn't easy to get going after the massive feed i had down me but it got easier. Planned to throw in 5 x 108 off 2:15 but feeling reasonably ok I doubled that to 10 x 2.15. Coming in around the 1.55 mark for the 108's. Certainly a better option than heading down in the early evening and swimming around kids, pool was quiet although the jacuzzi and sauna was full of muscleheads

Thursday Lunch:
    This was a bit better, still worried that a little bit of saturdays run was in my legs I decided on doing them slightly slower than 4 minute pace but doing a few more reps. 4.10 paces feels so much more comfortable than 4 minute pace. Did 9 x 800 all around the 4.05-4.08 pace and then a 1k run home at 4.03 with a minute recovery between each rep.

Thursday Night: Decided to record Graham Nortons comic relief and go for a quick swim instead - didn't bother with the watch and just swam 1100m easy

Tough wind which made every second one fairly hard but with the wind with you, I was nearly recovering on the rep the way back.

Heading off next friday to Liverpool for the stag so that was probably my last difficult set before Craughwell. I will be more likely to do my last long run next thursday and then its all about how quick I can get over the alcohol when I get home :rolleyes:

Advertisement