Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting down the spoon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Friday Lunch: Just 40 minutes on the turbo

Saturday Afternoon: Between a filling put in that was borderline root canal on wednesday that was still killing me, dozed up on antibotics and painkillers I was just about to head off on a rare run in Oranmore, I got the call to say the wife forgot her keys. So back in the car and drove home again and then got caught for some menial work. I eventually got out that evening and I hated every second of it, was close to packing it in a few times but dogged out 17k at 4.57 pace. AHR=145

Sunday: No-one to really blame here, I had a 1 hour 30 window to do something between mothers day visits but I just wasn't in the form. Tooth feels a little better this evening so perhaps I might dodge the root canal road yet

Monday: With child minder duties swapped around this week I got in an easy run during the afternoon. 8k @ 4.57. Coldest day of the year I would guess, the breeze would cut you in two. Not an enjoyable run

Monday Evening: A quick swim of 1000m, including 5 x 108 off 2.10

Tuesday Lunch: The plan was an 8k tempo run close to race pace, I was going well at the outset but after the first km I turned into the wind. I had stopped taking the painkillers last night for the filling but a bitter breeze plus inhaling large amounts of cold air caused havoc with the tooth and I had to stop and walk with the pain. I got going again and at an easier pace it was more manageable. 8k @ 4.37. Would have liked to have got these in closer to race pace, I worry I haven't done enough at 4.20 pace recently

Wednesday Lunch: Pushing through the gears for 40 minutes on the turbo

Thursday Evening: 15k @ 4.40 pace. This was a better run than recent efforts, perhaps because I had finished the rounds of antibiotics the previous day. I am finding around 4.40 pace to be fairly comfortable, however I pushed the last 2 into 4.20 pace. Had to look at the Garmin a few times and was disappointed to only see I was holding 4.20 pace, the effort felt much more difficult. Heart rate was ok at 153 average but legs felt a bit tired.

Anyways besides a few bits and bobs that's more or less it for me now till sunday week. The taper starts with a stag bus is coming for me in the morning and it will feel like stepping into a funeral hearse - a 3 day stag awaits- I have been told we are going to Cream in Liverpool tomorrow :eek: 20 years ago I would have been frothing for the mouth to go there.

Expecting a very messy one there's loads of lunatics going on this one - Mrs C has being giving me more "don't do this - don't do that lectures" than usual :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Life is a constant 'to-do' or 'don't do' set of lists, both of which wind fellows up no end!

Fair play to you digging in and getting the work done. Enjoy Liverpool & the 'taper'.

A tough weekend finally in the bag - I woke up on the first morning after a big night. Couldn't remember how I got back to the hotel room the locker beside me was phone, cash, wallet and passport. A great start I thought until I looked down at the other side of the bed - hmmmm I will be leaving room service a decent tip as an apology :o

The rest of the nights weren't too bad as everyone as per usual went too hard the first night. I was disgusted to find staggering home on my last night an Evans Cycles superstore, just up by the hotel. Where was that when I was walking the streets in the morning trying to avoid meeting up with the early drinkers.

Managed 8k today which wasn't too bad - stuck the Garmin in the back pocket and just ran easy, I was happy to see 5.02 pace for the 8k when I got home. An annoying run, the 3 farmer dogs which I avoid running by were over this side of the area as I presume the bollox was cutting silage or something. While I thought they were going to pounce on me they aren't quiet as cocksure as they are outside their own house so I just tightened the buttocks and walked by trying to not catch their eyes, I only got a few go on son keep moving growls for a change, had to go through this ritual on the way home again then

Back up in Belfast for Wednesday and thursday of this week will bring the runners but doubtful I will get a chance so this will be a real wind down week before sundays race. Looking forward to getting it over with - while I will keep 3 tough runs a week, I have to get moving on the bike and swim.

On another note my friend the Fishmonger texted me from the Barcelona Marathon with a 3.47 time, delighted he beat my pb the bastard. I was surprised to say the least, I thought he would go sub 3.30 comfortably. But looking at his splits he had definitely targeted a 3.45 before slowing up slightly on the last 5k. While I was effusive in my praise back to him - I did have a sickeningly smug grin on my face that I would eat 3.47 for breakfast if I can keep the training good for it. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

How much was the tip? :eek:;)

• Advertisement

How are you fixed for Craughwell? I've been tempted with an entry . . . .

How are you fixed for Craughwell? I've been tempted with an entry . . . .

Not great so far - I tried a few 4.20k's today and I was crawling with a stitch just coming up to the 2k mark :o

I have a choice of going for perhaps a "safe" 4.30 average pace or risk all blowing a gasket at 4.20 pace, I now may have the added pressure of you going by me if I blow up as well ;)

I will see how I feel later in the week, in fairness I am wrecked today the heebie jeebies only really kicked in last night and I hardly got a wink of sleep but I am certainly not as happy with how I was going coming up to Kinvara.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

What happened to the "I was taking it easy on AKW in Kinvara and I could have handed him his ar$e" attitude from the week after Kinvara???? :rolleyes::pac::p

pgibbo wrote: »
    What happened to the "I was taking it easy on AKW in Kinvara and I could have handed him his ar$e" attitude from the week after Kinvara???? :rolleyes::pac::p

:eek: :eek: Lies, damn lies!! The fecker was drafting off me all the way round, huffing and puffing like and old chimney. I even told him there'd be no sprint finish as I didn't want to embarass the lad. :rolleyes:

Very little done this week with me working in Belfast again, stayed the night in the Maldron in Tallaght and snuck in a quick 1000m in the pool on thursday morning. An easy set of repeats on friday with 4 x 800m at 4.20 pace left me in a reasonably positive mindset.

Sunday Craughwell 10 mile Race:

This was one of the bigger goals of the year and right from the start I picked an optimistic goal of a sub 70 race. Unlike me I pushed hard on most of my training plan - with more hands on the knees moments in the last few months than in my lifetime. I tend to perform better in races than training so I never lost hope that I would get under 70 minutes.

The day was baltic and the first worry was that the filling would act up and I had regretted not taking some painkillers. Arrived nice and early and met a few of the usual heads and a few from the triathlon club. Ran down to the start with Frenchie and when he mentioned I should be looking at sub 70 I surprised myself by saying yes absolutely, I usually fob off a mumbled reply to being put on the spot like that.

Lined up at the start in the sub 70 section along with what seemed most of the Galway Triathlon club and off we went.

Straight away I was feeling good, the Zoots were making a rare outing and I was bouncing along - the start is mainly downhill and I was straining to slow down and I came in at 4.02 pace. I settled a bit after that but still came through the 5k mark in 21.15 - a little too fast but only by about 25 seconds. Nothing too much of note in the 2nd 5k set except for a bit of ambush marketing by Amphkingwest - I know where you live now tubby ;)

Trundled on and came through 10k at 43.00 on the button - 40 seconds banked at this stage. I mentally reevaluated myself at this stage, certainly I could hold this pace comfortably for another few kms but I knew there was going to be some suffering eventually. It was going to be touch and go for sub 70, I knew I wasn't going to blow up royally at this juncture - which if you had offered me this situation at 10k before the race I would have bit your hand off

It came at around the 13k mark, nothing too bad just I could feel the energy wavering a little. I was in a little group of about 7 or 8 people, taking shelter from the wind and one of them was the butcher boy. I used to work with him in Tescos when I was back in college, hes a big lad with a decent bit of weight on him but hes well able to run as I found out when I tried to stay with him in this race in 2010 when he broke me at around the 12k mark.

He was beginning to struggle so I pushed on at the back of the group. I had finally turned on my HRM at the 12k mark and I was in the high 170's, 4k left is a long time for me at that heart rate I was blowing hard but I was ok. Km 13 was 4.28 but the group made up for it with a 4.15 Km 14.

KM 15 was where I made two costly errors, the group was pushing it into 4.10 pace and we were down to 4. There was a slight drag and I was really beginning to struggle and looked at the watch and did some mental arithmetic, I was still around 4.18 pace for 15k and knew I had a few seconds banked and I let them go and allowed myself a 4.32 km and I was following this up with another 4.30km until I realised that I was just coming up to 16kms and no sign of the finishing line. I had made the rookie mistake of forgetting that it would be more than 16kms of running with me not on the race line and I gave into the demons when I should have hung on for dear life to the group

I immediately broke into an ugly sprint - I was gone, I got the 16th km back to 4.23 and the .16 extra I ran was done at 3.44 pace but it was these 34 extra seconds that I hadn't factored that killed me and I knew crossing the line I was just over 70 minutes.

I still had hopes of scraping through with the chip time but they were dashed with a 70.02 finish confirmation. So 16.16k at 4.20 pace. Overall 115/618.

Mrs C remarked when I came home it was the first time she ever saw me disappointed with a race, I was peed off with myself getting so close - it would have been easier if it was 20 or 30 seconds off.

Still it was good running all the same for me - many a time I had my hands on my knees broken after 6-8kms at 4.20 in training so to get get over 16 at that pace is encouraging.

A 19.xx 5k and a 41.xx 10k I suppose is next on the list :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

2 secs.......thats tough. Sub 20 5km and 42 10km will be no bother to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Hard Luck Catweazle...2 secs is a balls!! congrats on a great run though, savage splits..I'd love to be able to hold that pace for 16k

Three things cw.....

1) 20 to 30 seconds would suck way worse than 2 seconds....
    2) it's a 10 MILE race so it would be much easier on the gentle reader if you refrained from alternating between miles and kilometers and just stick to the purity of miles as this gentle reader is getting whiplash from all the math computations I had to do in my head....and,
    3) well done on yet another super race, super time, and super report.

Tubby!! :eek:

I'll have you know, you took your sweet time getting around to halfway I was damn near frozen lying in that ditch taking photos.

Theres that little fat on me I'd x4 jackets on me to stop me from shivering to death.

Tough luck on the timing, you needed Polar reliability out there to help you today. Roll on the summer!

( well done, BTW ) :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Why be upset, last year or year before you would have been delighted with that time. Running in particular you seem to be making good strides this year.

Why be upset, last year or year before you would have been delighted with that time. Running in particular you seem to be making good strides this year.

+1 on this. It's a big improvement and what's 2 seconds at the end of the day? The important thing to focus on is the fact that your running is improving.

Well done yesterday

Dory Dory wrote: »
    2) it's a 10 MILE race so it would be much easier on the gentle reader if you refrained from alternating between miles and kilometers and just stick to the purity of miles as this gentle reader is getting whiplash from all the math computations I had to do in my head....and,

Christ Dory, 10 miles in just over 70 minutes - 70/10 = 7 minute miles or 7.002 mile average pace if Kurt pulls me up on it rolleyes.png

Now Jacky if only you would follow this logic yourself and stop being so hard on yourself ;)
    griffin100 wrote: »
    2 secs.......thats tough. Sub 20 5km and 42 10km will be no bother to you.

I am back to my old sandbagging ways :o

Sub 19.30 and 40.xx are the actual targets.
    Trig1 wrote: »
    Hard Luck Catweazle...2 secs is a balls!! congrats on a great run though, savage splits..I'd love to be able to hold that pace for 16k

Judging by your 42.36 10k you wouldn't be far off I would guess
    Tubby!! :eek:

Tough luck on the timing, you needed Polar reliability out there to help you today. Roll on the summer!

( well done, BTW ) :cool:

Considering my polar was telling me I was averaging 212 bpm I would question their renowned reliability. * I must break out the other strap
    +1 on this. It's a big improvement and what's 2 seconds at the end of the day? The important thing to focus on is the fact that your running is improving.

Well done yesterday

Hmmmmm I remember a 29.59 text for an 8k from you a few years ago - I wonder would I have got it if it was 30.02 ;)

Per McMillan, we'll all be expecting you to go a sub 3:15 marathon at DCM....or faster since that's 7 months away. No pressure, cw..... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Hard luck CW, 2 seconds is a pain in the ..... but great running, really sets you up nicely for the year, and for DCM and aim high, a sub 3:15 is there for you.

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Per McMillan, we'll all be expecting you to go a sub 3:15 marathon at DCM....or faster since that's 7 months away. No pressure, cw..... ;)
    BennyMul wrote: »
    Hard luck CW, 2 seconds is a pain in the ..... but great running, really sets you up nicely for the year, and for DCM and aim high, a sub 3:15 is there for you.

Ha we will see - I will admit I would be looking for lower than last years 3.30 goal. My sister lives in Hopkington where the Boston marathon starts so I couldn't think of a better excuse for my long promised visit over there. However I may have to wait till 2015 as all going well the qualifying time is a bit more manageable when you are in the 40's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

CW - enjoyed your report as always. Well done on a great time and mighty running improvement. Forget about the 2 sec, it is irrelevant, that was down to a mistake and not the fact you couldn't do it. You will have now problem with those 5k and 10k targets either. will you try to fit them in between now and DCM?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Nice report, well done on Craughwell.
    Just to point out the course wasn't long just because of the racing line, even with a jones wheel 10 miles is not 16km ;)

You will have now problem with those 5k and 10k targets either. will you try to fit them in between now and DCM?

Yes I will most likely do one or two of the Galway 5k Race series in early April, I will leave the 10k for a little longer. I will perhaps look at a training plan for 10k, the big pb in the 1/2 marathon attempt and a probable grudge match with the Fishmonger most likely wont be till early October in Sathill so I have time to try and get a little extra speed in the meantime
    menoscemo wrote: »
    Nice report, well done on Craughwell.
    Just to point out the course wasn't long just because of the racing line, even with a jones wheel 10 miles is not 16km ;)

Had to google that 10 miles = 16.09kms :o As Dory will testify I probably should have looked at training in miles instead of kms - it would have been a lot easier for everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

catweazle wrote: »
    Had to google that 10 miles = 16.09kms :o As Dory will testify I probably should have looked at training in miles instead of kms - it would have been a lot easier for everyone

It's a common enough mistake. People assume 5 miles is 8k all the time just because it is 'close enough'. However an extra 50m is 12 seconds @ 4 min/KM. Those extra 90m in a 10 miler would take over 20 seconds at that pace.

See?? That'll teach you for being such a smart @ss. ;)

Glad I read another few logs with miserable effort training weeks which makes me feel better about my own. Way too much easy mentions below for my liking. I was lulled back into my old habits of wine and nibbles by Filmfour showing a Godfather Trilogy and then swiftly following it up with the Lord of the Rings trilogy after it for the week. While admittedly not a huge fan of it at the time, I think watching the three LOTR's together rather than months apart was much better and it grew on me. Feel I have put on all the weight I have lost though, although it doesnt take much discipline to lose the initial 2/3 kilos but I havent a notion of getting down to 73 kgs at this stage, I will take getting back to 75 which should be doable

Monday: More or less a day off, legs were stiff from the race. I headed to the pool later but with kids off I only did 300m before retiring to the Jacuzzi

Tuesday: An easy 8k run, 4.48 pace from memory.

Wednesday: An easy bike - 40 minutes

Thursday: A little better, 15k. While I set out easy at out about 5 minute pace after the turnaround it got easier and easier as I went along and towards the end I was down in mid 4.30 pace. 15k @ 4.51 pace

Friday: An easy bike - 40 minutes

Saturday: An easy run - feeling tired. 8k @ 4.55 pace

Sunday:
    Have not been outside on the bike in a few weeks so not too challenging a distance, did a local loop which is approx 45k. While I was warmish for a while, it started to rain and it finally soaked through and I was frozen and thankful to get off the bike towards the end. First thing I did when I got home was go online looking for rain jackets, some mind boggling prices for a thin sheet of plastic. 27.2 pace for 45k

Monday:
    An 8k run at 4.58 pace, this didn't feel good, felt tired and fat. Went swimming that evening, this was better, kids there but I have made a pledge to get to the pool regularly from April 1st on and do some decent distances or I am just wasting my time this year. Kids were playing volleyball over my swim lane and I was fit to kill them at certain stages but huffed and puffed my way through 2000m

Tuesday:
    An easyish 40 minutes on the turbo, one last episode of the Heroes Season 4 to watch and then thats it. No more TV unless its a sufferfest (well at least until I can get Game of Thrones season 3 downloaded which wont be out till end of month anyways)

Fancy a pedal on Sunday?

Fancy a pedal on Sunday?

Ya sounds good, put in a long day today so I should have some passes built up

Wednesday Lunch: Tried to run a little harder so 8k at 4.31 pace, I finally think I must have got a taper right as I don't know how I held 16k at a faster pace two weeks ago. I must plan my next A race around a stag the weekend before.

Wednesday Night: Evening swim, another 2000m. 1500 with pull buoy and then 500 without. trying to build up a little stamina and consistency before I hit Interested swim plans for definite next week.

Thursday: Nothing - wife was away so meetings in town and then Pudsy

Friday Lunch: Finished the last episode of Heroes Season 4 and was well rid of it. Season 1 was excellent and season 2 was passable but its been penance ever since

Friday Evening: Down to the pool and no lanes free with classes. Tried to get some lengths in the play area but a family playing volleyball made it impossible. Went into the sauna where two lads talking and imitating MMA moves drove me back into the pool. Got a lane and surprised myself by getting in the 2000m with 12 x 108 off 2.10 - its getting easier

Saturday AM:
    I am definitely getting to know what suits me running and certainly two days off is a disaster, I run best after a day off. The HRM when I turned it on read 170, sweat mustn't be up yet it will sort itself in a few minutes I thought. After 10k at 4.45 pace I stopped to walk past the Doberman (no sign of him) and the HR drops down into the 130's, its shoots back up to the high 160's almost as soon as I started back. Decided it was me that was broken and not the HRM and eased down for the last 5k as the legs were wrecked and I couldn't get it into the 150's at all. 15k @ 4.52 pace

Sunday AM:
    Stayed in the mothers last night as we were at the afters of a wedding. Wasn't too ropey the following morning so the plan was to cycle out to Furbo or so and then back home which should be about 50k all in. A tailwind straight away which had me giving out as most of this cycle would be into it out to the home house.

Coming back through Salthill I heard a persistent scrape from the front wheel, I spot a nasty slit in my tyre and a big black scrotum of a tube sticking out from it. Tube wasn't burst so I let it out a little so I could cycle back to the mothers but I let out too much and it wasn't worth using a CO2 cannister on it.

Shoes off and a 15 minute walk of shame back to the mothers house after only 15k, luckily Mrs C was in Salthill walking the young lad so I was able to cadge a lift home. A bonus was that my clothes were in the boot so I got out of having to stop in town to meet all the in laws down from the wedding as the bib tights aren't the most flattering items

So a poorish week but I think my swimming mojo is coming back - we are expecting another Kitten in the house in October and all this talk of we cant fly on 3rd trimester, shes as sick as a dog and having promised her I would do three weeks this year had me contemplating would I just stick to the running. No need for double sessions which is proving very difficult to get time for!

So Humbert is more or less out at the moment (sorry Amphking) and it looked like Kilkee was gone too, but I think after some pleading and grovelling I am back in for Kilkee and we fly out the following day, all depending on availability of course.

I think after Kilkee it will be a running year for me, which in a way I am looking forward to. The Fishmonger Amphkingwest and Dory will be getting an ass whupping all going well in DCM

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

we are expecting another Kitten in the house in October

well congratulations :)

Advertisement