Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting down the spoon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Serious congratulations on the kitten-to-be. I had convinced myself this super news was going to be the excuse you were looking for to get out of doing DCM....so you can imagine my surprise at your cocky trash talk about the ass whupping. But hey, bring it don't sing it....I will see you at the start line darlin'. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Dory Dory wrote: »
    I had convinced myself this super news was going to be the excuse you were looking for to get out of doing DCM.

Its also the perfect excuse if you beat me at DCM - Ah Carol sure I have hardly slept a wink this last month ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

And i have jet lag and all the stresses of travel as my excuse ace in the pocket. ;)

Monday Evening: Session 1 of the 750m swim plan, a gentle introduction. Main section was 4 x 216 off 4.35 and 6 x 108 off 2.15. Nice long recoveries so these weren't too bad. 2600 swam which is the most I have swam in a long time

Tuesday Lunch:
    The tuesday tempo run - started to blow hard a bit after 3 or 4k, dialed it back to 4.40ish pace for a kilometre. Twas nice 4.40 felt like I was recovering and picked it back up to high 4.20 pace for the last few. 8k at 4.30 pace. Still freezing out there - christ its almost mid april :(

Wednesday Lunch: Tried Sufferfests There is no Try, not a bad one to do only 54 minutes long so you can squeeze it into a lunch hour - although I didn't as I only had a 40 minute window. A 4 x 2 minute time trial in the middle of it which I got caught out by as I assumed there would be a recovery between each one - went flat out towards the end of the 1st one as I knew I was cutting it short to be instantly greeted by the 2nd set with yer man looking for this one to be quicker. Struggled through - but good session will do this one again

Wednesday Evening: Definitely getting the love for the pool again. Main section was 16 x 108 off 2.05, wasnt looking forward to this but halfway through it I said this isn't too bad and was able to hold low 1.50's for the lot. My form still feels poor but my endurance is coming back. First time I have pushed myself in the pool since last July :o

As per usual my essential purchase of a new tyre led to some unessential purchases of winter gloves, merino socks, bib tights and a fancy aero cage and bottle. I will need to stand guard for the postman next week. I cant go near those bike shop sites anymore I am worse than the wife for the shopping

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

How do you only have 40mins at lunch? You work from home most of the time and the turbo is only a hop away??? :confused: You sure you're not looking for excuses? :D:pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

pgibbo wrote: »
    How do you only have 40mins at lunch? You work from home most of the time and the turbo is only a hop away??? :confused: You sure you're not looking for excuses? :D:pac::pac::pac:

Nah I would usually able to cadge an 1.15 if I really needed it, just only had the 40 minutes that day. Needed to be back at 2 and didn't finish for lunch until after ten past one

Thursday Afternoon: First set of repeats in a long while and I treated myself to a very soft re-introduction. 5 x 800m with 2 minute recoveries at 4 minute pace. Found the efforts tough but 2 minutes was more than enough time for me to get my breath back. Will increase the reps and decrease the recoveries over the next few weeks

Friday Lunch: An honest attempt at Sufferfest's "There is no Try", not too bad, short bursts of speed suit me more than the longer steady efforts.

Friday Evening: An aborted attempt at the pool - but a crash in Claregalway led to a big tailback. Turned back and used a pass for tomorrow instead. A late night with the golf.

Saturday AM: This run was a bit better, had an actual plan of 5 at 5.00, 5 at 4.45 and 5 at 4.30 pace. Coming into the 5k at 4.30 pace I had myself convinced that 5k in the high 4.30s would be fine. But I seemed to get second wind and averaged low 4.20s instead with a nice sub 4 kilometre to finish. 15k @ 4.39 AHR - 153

Saturday Afternoon:
    Swim was going well, a lad with an Ironman Regenburgs cap gets in beside me so we were chatting. He was a decent swimmer so we ended up sticking to our own sides. An auld guy gets in beside us and starts doing the deadmans float down the middle of the lane at a snails pace. I couldn't believe it, squeezed by him once or twice and gave him a good splash each time with my hand entry to no avail. I gave up - weekends aren't the best time for that pool anyways. 2 x 400 off 7.10 and 7.05 was all I got in

Sunday Lunch: Changed the ripped tyre this morning in about 3 minutes - this usually takes me well over an hour. Another gatorskin but this tyre came unfolded which had me wondering was that the reason it was so easy?

With heavy winds and some torential downpours it didn't take me long to justify watching the Ireland run and Amstel bike race. A near 3 hour very leisurely cycle until shame made me pick up the pace for the last 20 minutes or so

A late night beckons tonight with the golf, I stuck 4 euros on Cabrera at ridiculous odds on Betfair so I have the apple tart and wine ready. I let out a loud roar when he got the birdie at 18 and my dreams of a Garmin 500 and Powermeter were dashed when the wife comes down wondering what the commotion was, any winnings if he holds on are now going to be transferred to a holiday fund :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

I always think it's gas how hard P Gibbo is on you CW :pac: There's is no hiding for you and he certainly keeps you honest! :cool::p

Hard luck on the Cabrera bet, I had 5 on Day at rediculous odds myself - he blew it and my dreams along with it :(

I always think it's gas how hard P Gibbo is on you CW :pac: There's is no hiding for you and he certainly keeps you honest! :cool::p

Hard luck on the Cabrera bet, I had 5 on Day at rediculous odds myself - he blew it and my dreams along with it :(

Hes a free coach - I was down in his house the last day and his missus offers me some carrot cake - I had to wait for the nod from Paul before I could accept a slice.

The wife comes down to me after the cry of anguish after Scotts playoff winning putt to see me slumped on the couch with my head in my hands. Great TV but I think I aged about 5 years.

I did everything wrong I bottled under the pressure and laid him off a little at poor odds and then I held fast when he went into odds-on. Hes a super player when he is in the mix, he doesn't suffer from nerves at all, his major mistake was going for the green in 2 off the pine at 13 but that's what you get with him.

I thought Day was the best player over the weekend, he didn't make as many putts as he should have but tee to green he was fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

catweazle wrote: »
    So a poorish week but I think my swimming mojo is coming back - we are expecting another Kitten in the house in October and all this talk of we cant fly on 3rd trimester, shes as sick as a dog and having promised her I would do three weeks this year had me contemplating would I just stick to the running. No need for double sessions which is proving very difficult to get time for!

So Humbert is more or less out at the moment (sorry Amphking) and it looked like Kilkee was gone too, but I think after some pleading and grovelling I am back in for Kilkee and we fly out the following day, all depending on availability of course.

I think after Kilkee it will be a running year for me, which in a way I am looking forward to. The Fishmonger Amphkingwest and Dory will be getting an ass whupping all going well in DCM

Congrats CW, that's great news!!

The bad news is I won't be in Kilkee or DCM this year, so roll on 2014 the Grudge Year when we'll be two all on the chizzlers front.

PS I'm going set a time in Humbert that will make your eyes water ;)

• Advertisement

Not a bad week so far, had mixed feelings about it today, sessions are way down on last year. I am finding it much harder to do double sessions but a lot of them would have been junk anyways. So when I started to think about it every session so far this week has been pushing it

Monday Night: A swim session. Some tasty splits here. 2 x 396 off 9.20 descending. The first one was steady and I was surprised at it coming in at 7.10, it was comfortable. I decided to have a crack at my current pb for the 2nd one. I kept it steady again but different to last time I maximised the turns, once I hit 12 I started to crank it up a bit and went all out for the last 2. Came in at 6.30 for the distance so 10 seconds better than last month, I wasn't too bad, think I could have dropped the hammer a little earlier perhaps on the 18th length. 3 x 216 off 4.55 descending after, breathing was fine but arms were gone. 3.52 / 3.48 / 3.45. 6 x 108 off 2.05 all in around the 1.55 mark

Tuesday Lunch:
    I couldn't find any of my copious amounts of equipment (they have been moved into a ornate teapot on the utility windowsill I have been told). So went out watchless - no idea of pace but I knew I was going too fast and paid dearly for it when I hit the headwind and blew up after 3k. Recovered and was able to go hard again for the last 2k. 8k total

Wednesday Lunch: A trip to donegal meant I snuck upstairs early and left the laptop beside me with the Skype open. I did Sufferfests Local Hero, strained and heaved towards the end and finally touched in the 160's for max HR. AHR = 126 Max = 161

Thursday Lunch: The dreaded repeats, got lucky with the rain squalls and dodged most of the rain. A run of two halves, the 800m down was coasting at 3.50 pace and the 800m back into the wind was balls out trying to get under 4 minute pace. reduced the recoveries and increased the reps to 6 x 800 at 4 minute pace. Was well gone after the last one.

Thursday Night: I didnt want to miss the swim so after a full feed of a stir fry I waddled off to the pool. As the belly digested the swimming got easier. Main set was 9 x 108 kick/pull/swim and 3 x 400 off 9.20. I was a bit disappointed with the swim times 7.30 / 7.20 / 7.16, I was working hard so I thought they would have been quicker

Friday Lunch:
    A little demotivated I decided to stick on my favourite Sufferfest Fight Club. Love the music on this one and it ended up being a good session. Fought on well and with an initial struggle to get the heart rate up towards the end I was hitting into the 160's. AHR - 129 Max - 162.

Hoping the weather stays dry so I can get my 4th cut of the lawn this year, its great to get it out of the way before the weekend -

You hear that Gibbo - the 4th cut!!!!!!!
    You will be looking for a machete to get through yours soon

LMAO - bad and all as my front is the back is worse. Here's hoping for a dry weekend :D

Pedal on Sunday morning? Hoping for 3 hours......

Not a great weekend which was a pity after a decent week

Saturday: 17k run, I knew early enough the legs had nothing, probably the remnants of 2 recent sufferfests. I settled on keeping it at easy and just added 2k on as I was looking forward to seeing Gibbo slaving away in the garden. No sign of him but perhaps he was trapped in the undergrowth. Pace was 4.53 AHR - 151

Sunday: The plan was for a long one but huddled in under the canopy at Seapoint to avoid a heavy downpour an old friend pulled up in the car. Hadnt seen him in a while so I went for a coffee with him, another friend arrives in as well so I gossiped off most of my window at that stage. Had to head home straight after, after struggling in against a strong headwind at barely 20k+ an hour it was lovely to be 30K+ and hardly pushing the pedals. 42k in total

Got the go ahead for a swim later which pulled the weekend back a little into the black and gave me three sessions for the week. 8 x 216 pull off 4.30 and then 8 x 25 alternating hard and easy

Monday Evening: Another swim - enjoying this plan. There are some unusual drills in it. Tonights were 8 x 33 tri start for a warm up. 10 x 108 off 2.15 with a target pace of what I would do for a sprint, wasn't sure what to aim for so went steady on the 1st and came in at 1.44 so decided to stick with that for the 10. Th3se were comfortable but I needed every second of the approx 30 I had recovery between them

I was beginning to struggle to hold the 10 x 54 off 1 minute and wasnt looking forward to the 10 x 54 off 55 seconds coming up. I was quickly bullied out of the pool by a new pensioner swim class, had to laugh they didnt give a hoot just piled into the lanes and started chatting, walking and stretching waiting for the tutor to arrive. So that was that. Will need to be done from now on before 6.50 or I am nailed

I'm waiting in the long grass :pac::pac::pac:

I hear there's going to be coffee stops at races this year too. Hard to beat race simulation of a Sunday morning :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

CW - the Kitten comment went over my head but the penny is just after dropping :rolleyes:

Huge congratulations!

p.s. is Kalmar still on the agenda next year!?:)

RedB wrote: »
    CW - the Kitten comment went over my head but the penny is just after dropping :rolleyes:

Huge congratulations!

p.s. is Kalmar still on the agenda next year!?:)

Cheers Red!

An Ironman is still "hoped" for but I have to be careful with it, I still have the permission as I don't think Mrs C has really grasped how much this will cost. So not sure how to approach it yet, I am considering throwing my hat into Norseman and pray my number doesn't come out of the hat. If it does I can justify to myself (and to her) that it would be a once in a lifetime opportunity

Otherwise a cheaper and more convenient location to get to, I will be very interested in seeing how Abhainn gets on if he goes to Challenge Amsterdam, with 4 or 5 flights a day and little travel involved this may be ideal.

This all depends on how I get on with the new arrival in October, Pudsy was a dream kid and was sleeping a full night from 5-6 months on, it might be very different this time

However having experienced a few 40ths already I am desperate to get out of one myself so Hardman comes in as a cheap handy option with less pressure on me to do as well as I hoped if I am struggling with the training

Tuesday Afternoon: Not a good tempo run, the first four were at 4.24 pace with a sky high heart rate and then I just slowed, I wasn't in the form to fight on. 8k at 4.41 pace

Wednesday Afternoon: Much better, the full Sufferfest Revolver. Reached a max heart rate of 171 on the 15th rep, I had emptied the tank and should have known there was a sneaky 16th thrown in. Couldn't drive on so bottomed out at 171. AHR - 140 Max - 171

Wednesday Night: Starting off with kickboard I thought I would struggle during this but the plan was just right for me and I ended up being delighted with the session. The main set consisted of 12 x 108 off 2.15 holding an easy but consistent pace - all these were bang on 1.55's. Then 12 x 54 off 1:00 with 3,6,9,12 fast. From memory all around the 55-57 pace with the fast ones around 50 seconds.

A shifty looking fella was watching me for ages which had my nose twitching but he introduced himself after and said he was studying my stroke for a few weeks to improve. Had to laugh and told him to perhaps have a look at youtube before using me as his muse while strutting off away from him clenching my buttocks

Thursday Lunch: I am hoping the Sufferfest was still in my legs or I am going backwards in the running. The plan was 7 x 800m at 4k pace with 90 seconds recovery but I was buckled after 2 of them. Decided it was either go home for the day or reduce the pace. So I decided to run the rest at 4.15 pace, still found it disappointingly difficult but better than going home I suppose

Thursday Night: Ideally I would have liked to do the 3rd swim of the week on friday but its easier for me to double up on thursdays and be present and accounted for the Late Late show. After the large feed of mexican I was struggling on the fast warm up but eventually found a rhythm in the 30 x 54 off 1.10 and was holding 53-55 range for the lot.

Friday Lunch: With me off TV and movies on the turbo I stuck on Hell Hath No Fury, conscious of last weeks poor long run on saturday I deliberately kept this easy but it was still a better workout than what I would do stuck into Heroes or Game of Thrones. I was surprised the heart rate was only an average of 118 when I finished it, it certainly felt harder than that heart rate

Friday Evening: 3 double sessions in a row :eek:, this one was unexpected but I was in the good books as I covered for Mrs C earlier while she was collecting for the Special Olympics. I didn't know what to do, I wasnt going on the bike again and I wasnt interested in heading to the pool. With a long run tomorrow i decided a light 5k recovery jog down to the bridge would be the call, first lazy run I have had in a long time. Twas enjoyable until I got caught in a hailstorm.

My new Giro winter gloves and Merino socks arrived just in time - due to be coldish this weekend so at least I will get to try them out before they go into cold storage

Saturday Morning: A miserable long run on a beautiful morning. A flash sale in Chadwicks had me in a queue for a strimmers at 8:30 in the morning. A few strange looks at my choice of attire (Skins compression tights) and then a deal that I would run the prom while Mrs C and Pudsy would walk

I never like running this early anyways and I was useless, struggling to go under sub 5 minute kms - I had planned to do 18k but I caught up to the missus at 15k so I took over pram pushing duties instead as I just wasnt in the form. Going to take it easy this week on the training front, perhaps the legs need a break

Sunday Afternoon:
    Out to the hill in Abbeyknockmoy in what I thought was a crosswind. 3 times up it and then freewheel recovery down. I had expected this to be easy as I had the road bike which is a compact but my lack of hill climbing this year showed and I struggled on all 3.

Headed back home into a strong headwind which was a nightmare, glad to get home and was wrecked for the rest of the day. 53k at 25.3kph AHR - 123 Max - 157

I was tempted to hide your strimmers as it was out in the lawn when I ran by on Saturday evening :D

When are you going to take the TT bike out of cotton wool and start using it? :rolleyes:

I was tempted to hide your strimmers as it was out in the lawn when I ran by on Saturday evening :D

When are you going to take the TT bike out of cotton wool and start using it? :rolleyes:

Fat lot of good that strimmer would be to you - I would have been delighted to see it stolen, its a bastard to start up :mad:

As regards my lack of use of the TT bike dig - I do recall I have used it in two races this year which at a rough guess is two more times than you :cool:

Perhaps this weekend for the TT bike, looks like the home stag is now coming up this saturday for all those lucky punters that missed Liverpool, so I might take it over with me to the mothers on the night before.

It has been on the turbo since last year mind you so its not totally alien to me

• Advertisement

Monday Evening: A swim and manged to finish it just before the pensioners took over the lane. Main set was 3 x 4 x 32 off .50 descending and 10 x 54 off 1.00. The first set seemed almost the worst and things seemed to settle a little after that

Tuesday Lunch: The running was a little better today but at the 4k mark running at 4.24 pace I shut up shop and eased home the rest of the way. Came in at 4.46 for the 8k. A small Cairn Terrier thats rarely let out gave me a fright as I didn't hear him coming up behind me with the headphones. Just dodged the nip - at this point all my rage and anger over the Doberman incidents came flooding back and this poor terrier I could bully. I let out a loud roar of you little bollox and chased him back up to his house trying to boot him into the field. Didn't get him and I felt a little guilty afterwards as hes not the worst of them.

Wednesday Lunch: Pudsy had a developmental check up at 12 but I snuck in 15k on the bike when I got back. I hid the clothes and swore I got no training in to the mrs so I got in another bike at 5.30. Finally the good weather has arrived so my full BMC regalia came out of cold storage, I got a shake of the head and a comment from Mrs C if you put as much time into your appearance as you do on the bike as I walked by dressed like a red and black peacock. However she did impress me by saying have they not got BMC socks in that wiggle store I am always buying from as my white socks obviously weren't cutting the mustard with her. So permission to buy socks now.

Anyways the bike was reasonable the pussywagon was out and I did a 20k route in 38.29, strong start with me being over 35k an hour, I eased off for a few k after 10k and then decided I might as well get a time to compare so picked it up again towards the end. Its a marker but one I should beat easily enough, not a great route though a few dead corners and surface poor.

Wednesay Night:
    A rare triple threat day - swim was hard as usual after a barbecue and cider but again got easier as my digestion probably eased off. Twas only a short distance called for tonight, 2 x 4 x 32 descending, 2 x 108 off 1.50 and 4 x 54 off 55. Got through it but form wasn't good. So ends session 10 of the 750m plan - will decide should i go up to 1500/1900 metre sessions or do one more round of 750 before going up. Probably the dinner beforehand will be the ultimate judge

Thursday Lunch: An easy enough set of repeats 3 x 800 @ 4.15 pace off 2 minutes. Keping the runs easy this week

Thursday Night: Session one of the 1500/1900 plan - nothing to bad except for the kickboard. 6 x 216 off 4.35 pull and 3 x 216 off 4.10 to finish

Friday Lunch: A reasonable hour on the turbo to Hell Hath No Fury

Saturday Morning:
    Running legs coming back a little 10k @ 4.47 pace - this felt easy as it should really be. AHR - 147

Sunday: Out for a 40th and home stag last night and woke up with the worst hangover in a long time. Too much experiments and mixing of various new beers I hadn't tried before. I had brought the bike over to the mothers for a cycle in the morning but nothing happening here. Instead I was dragged into Halfords and shamed into buying Pudsy a bike buggy/trailer

Monday: I decided to bring Pudsy for a quick test of the buggy, glad I bought it now. Surprisingly it wasn't noticeable really at all and the astute coaching of the little man Go Daddy, Go, Go Go Go, Go repeat to infinity - had me flying up and down the road. Until my left handlebar broke in half :eek:. I assume the years of accumulating sweat had finally taken its toll, only for the weight of the buggy I would have been head over heels. Will need to get this fixed asap as I don't want the TT bike to be his mode of transport. Certainly though its good enough to perhaps buy some training time by bringing the little man with me, particularly when the 2nd one comes along

Got out on the TT bike later, 45k into town and back through Oranmore to drop off a DVD. Was pleased enough when I saw 29.4kph on the Garmin when I pulled up, while I picked the pace up with a tailwind on the way home it was very comfortable for this pace.

So another poor bank holiday weekends training, good job I amnt doing the Humbert this year with a long bike of 50k and a run of 16 for the last 2 months I wouldnt be in much shape for it

Tuesday Lunch: A little bit better, held 4k at 4.14 pace before blowing this week. Things are looking up :p 8k overall at 4.43 pace

Tuesday Night: Really struggled with this swim, I am sure a lot had to do with the break since Thursday. After a bit of kickboard work I was dying after the first set of 5 x 108 off 2.05 but I knew I was going too hard on them and wasn't recovering in time. With 2 sets of 5 x 108 off 2.00 I slowed the stroke down and started to bring them in around the low to mid 1.50's this was better and got through them. The next set was another 5 x 108 off 2.05 and having struggled with cramps they just got worse and worse and I gave up on the 3rd run.

Wednesday Lunch:
    I was to head to Waterford to meet clients, after twenty minutes of Sufferfest the phone rang and it was the client looking to push the meeting forward an hour. That was the end of the bike so

Thursday Lunch:
    After a late night travelling home and some rare sleep episodes with Pudsey, his room was a poor decision as its very open when its high winds. I wasnt looking forward to these repeats so I was going to take them easy at 4.15 pace with 90 seconds recovery. With the wind it was easy down and hard back and after the 1st two reps of 4.03 and 4.07 pace I decided to man up and run these at under 4 minute pace. Was well whacked after the last one but happy that I have finally taken these back into sub 4 minute pace. 6 x 800 total with 90 seconds recovery

Thursday Evening:
    I was in two minds whether to repeat the last swim session as I hadn't completed it or go on to the next one - a quick look at the next plans 3600m session had me straight away scurrying back to tuesdays session :o. Again these sets are head wreckers I was going to call it quits again after a torrid 5 x 108 off 2.05 but talked myself into giving the 5 x 108 off 2.00 a go. Again it wasn't long before i could feel I was swimming better and got through these again. The last 4 x 54 off 50 was alas a bridge too far so I just swam that as a straight 216 hard and came in shagged at a disappointing 3.37

My gym membership is up next week, I am half contemplating holding off paying it for a few months and seeing if I can brave Annaghdown Pier, the two triathlons I am probably going to do are sea swims anyways. Lets see how the Tri an Mhi lads get on this weekend before I make any rash decisions

I'm hoping for some OW sessions in the next couple of weeks so keep me posted.

I'll be doing a 2 and a half hour spin on Sunday if it suits.

catweazle wrote: »
    Lets see how the Tri an Mhi lads get on this weekend before I make any rash decisions

Next weekend , 18th.

Get into the water you big wuss!! Was in the Bay last week and it was fine, even with my new skinny frame :p

Next weekend , 18th.

Get into the water you big wuss!! Was in the Bay last week and it was fine, even with my new skinny frame :p

I came across this the last day and burst my ass laughing. Look at you all attentive and taking everything in, I hope Kevin or Lynn didn't ask you how much you have been in the water this year - you should hang your head in shame turning up at that :D

chris.jpg?w=650

Might be surprised how much you could learn at something like that!

Nothing wrong with good posture and anyway anyone caught slumping triggered a round of burpees at the back of the room :)

I'm hoping for some OW sessions in the next couple of weeks so keep me posted.

I'll be doing a 2 and a half hour spin on Sunday if it suits.

I swore never again after the last time to go OW swimming with you after your screaming and wimpering. One thing ye lean greyhounds aren't suited to is a blast of cold water :D

Hopefully should be available Sunday I haven't been told otherwise anyways (yet)

Membership doesn't expire till the 16th so I will either be going out for an OW swim next saturday/sunday or I will have a new 6 month membership paid up. Might start gently with Salthill anyways seeing as we are both racing in the sea 1st time out

Renville could be an option too. The bay looks nice there but I've never swam there so don't know.

• Advertisement

Not a bad spot P.

The slip allows you to aclimatise the body one piece at a time.

Advertisement