Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting down the spoon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Friday Evening: There is no Try Sufferfest, perhaps its the music but I don't find this one as tough as some of the other ones on the Suffer list. This probably suits anyways as I have been struggling on the long runs at the weekend so a steady effort rather than an all out might be better for me. AHR-129 Max - 152

Saturday AM:
    The plan was 15k with 5k at 5:00, 4.45 and 4.30 pace average. I felt good and just couldn't hold to 5 minute pace so it ended up being more or less 10k @ 4.45 and 5k at 4.30. Into a head wind for the last 5k I drifted a little out to mid 4.30's but 2 x 4.20ks to finish got me back on track. 15k @ 4.37 pace, first decent long run in a few weeks.

Saturday Evening: I got an unasked for pass for a swim so off I went. This was great as it was 3600m of swimming in the plan so a weekend swim gave me the time for this type of distance. 2 x 792 pull off 18.10 both came in at 14.40 pace. 2 x 396 f/s descending came in on 7.20 and 6.58. 2 x 216 was 3.50/3.45. I had an all out 1 x 108 cancelled on the last length due to a failed gymnastic catch in the lane beside me leading to the young one falling in front of me. Yes 40 screaming teenage girls doing training from a gymnastics club :rolleyes: All in all 3500m swam, its been a long time since I have done that distance if ever

Sunday AM: A good weekend of training ruined by a poor lazy cycle. Out to the mothers house and back for approx 55k. Crawled into a headwind out, fighting the wind is my main weakness so I need to be pushing it to improve. Picked it up a little on the way home but saved the session somewhat by doing 5 repeats up Parkmore hill. I will be fine for a fast 20k in a sprint race but need longer distances than this if I am not going to do my usual zombie run in Kilkee

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Tut, tut - leaving early so you could get a swim in and making out Pudsey wasn't feeling well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

CW are you able to get a pass to go up and do Rosses Point sprint the weekend after next?

PS Paul I know its Oly, but don't tell him or he'll stay hibernating ;)

CW are you able to get a pass to go up and do Rosses Point sprint the weekend after next?

PS Paul I know its Oly, but don't tell him or he'll stay hibernating ;)

I'll even drive him up and back ;)

Thanks for the offer of giving me a hiding in Rosses but I very much doubt it, have promised her I would paint the downstairs that weekend, however we are getting a quote for a related job this week and I fully intend to see what he will throw the painting in for.

I used to do a bit of painting as a young lad in Boston for a few years during the summer break from college - it shows you my work ethic at the time when I cant stand painting my own house now as I can't do a slap dash job on it.

Of course if you really want to take me on you could consider the Triburgh the following week.

PS Paul dont tell him its a sprint - he will still be swimming by the time I finish :D

• Advertisement

Ah no, I've no urge to beat you now. Scaring you out of the Humbert is a win for me so I'm happy.

If you want I will go to TriBurgh just to give you the chance to redeem yourselvf. Though I'm more used to cranking out 2 hours at 214w average I'm sure I could adjust to short course racing ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

How are u feeling about the podium pace in triburgh CW?

I had the slightly less ambitious top 5 as my aim. I havent seen your total numbers on the training log to see how we compare!

Green&Red wrote: »
    How are u feeling about the podium pace in triburgh CW?

I had the slightly less ambitious top 5 as my aim. I havent seen your total numbers on the training log to see how we compare!

Not as good as I was before I heard you were competing :D

Ah its not something I am giving much thought too, it all depends on who turns up on the day. I was only beaten in a sprint finish for 5th last year so I said I would have a go at getting 3rd this year. I was almost 10 minutes off the winner last year so if the standard is even a little better this year a top ten might be even be an achievement.

Its a decent course, swim was long last year which suited me as I was going well at the time, flat bike and a bastard of a 5k run. I had promised I would do a fair few runs up Knockma hill to be ready this year but of course that never happened.

Lets hope all the top guys head to Athy ;)

Come over and say hello I will be wearing either a K-Swiss tri suit that I will be poured into or a more flattering Predator club suit

I was there myself last year but am a fitter, leaner version of myself this year, I train with one of the top three from last year and I dont think theres much between us this year

Monday Evening: Swim session, its usually the best swim of the week as I have no training beforehand in that day and I have the pass to go before the dinner. Plan wasn't too bad today a bit of kick and pull and than a 4 x 396 steady off 8.25 as the main set. 7.10/7.10/7.20/6.45. I was a bit miffed at the 7.20 so pushed the last one.

Tuesday: A little better again for the tempo this week, 4k @ 4.08 pace before the usual blow up, then another 5 minutes huddled behind a tree avoiding a heavy shower (I was trying to keep my iphone dry Gibbo before you start giving out). Got going again for 9k in total @ 4.26 pace

Wednesday Evening: I should have gone for a bike but with me up in the office for the day in Castlebar I said I would run Knockma instead for the 1st time since January. Hard on the uphills recover on the downhills. The first effort was a nightmare but settled a little after that and the 2nd and 3rd were a little easier. Plenty of people running it that night. 9k @ 5.32 pace

Wednesday Night: Had a quick look at the swim plan before I headed off after dinner, 3800m :eek:. Ha - good luck Interested. I did an easy 1000m with the pull buoy instead

Thursday: Finally a cycle - it was bucketing down every hour or so but i chanced my arm and headed out. I wanted another crack at the 38.29 of last week around a local 20k route and then a rare short brick. Halfway through it another heavy shower came and I was asking myself why I didn't go with the turbo option. Disappointed with the time 38.07, only 22 seconds off from the last time but I suppose it all depends on the wind strength and direction. I was cold, wet and miserable when I arrived home so there was no way I was doing the brick.

Another 5k recovery spin with Pudsey later with 1/2 a handlebar, must buy a new one pronto

Thursday Night: Time to try that 3800m swim. Nothing too bad about the times but it gradually ground me down. 10 x 216 off 4.30 and 10 x 108 off 2.00. Was just dipping under the 4 minutes for the 216's but was struggling from the off on the 108's my arms were just hanging off me. Started to drift out after the 3rd set, by the 7th I just decided to plough through without looking at the watch. I came in on 19.58 but I suspect I miscounted so I did another 2 lengths to come in at 20.32 which probably was more accurate

Legs are pretty stiff today from the bike - hoping to get the long run in today as I expect tomorrow and sunday to be a write off with a big wedding weekend. I have also an OW swim with Pgibbo planned tonight so I will gave a good laugh at Mr 0% fat squealing like a girl getting in. Amphking you are more than welcome to come but I assume you will be in a meditative state in prep for Tri an Mhi tomorrow. Weather looks fabulous for you tomorrow

Rain in the northeast will gradually spread across the country on Saturday, reaching the southwest by mid afternoon. The rain will turn heavy and persistent in many areas and some spot flooding is likely. It will become rather windy as well with fresh to strong northwest winds. Highest temperatures of 10 to 14 degrees, best values in the southwest.

BAHHHAAAHHAHAAHAH better you than me :D

• Advertisement

I'm not saying anything about you cowering under a tree as I may be cowering in the shelter at Blackrock later and watching you swim :D :pac:

Thanks CW, but did you lose my number on purpose?

I wouldn't have answered anyway as, yes, I was achieving a Zen state with a spin to Loughrea & back for a swim oop around the rock & bouys. I'm prepared for the weather, I'm not made of sugar or sh1te so nothing for me to worry about there ;)

Hope you enjoyed your dip. Roll on Humbert.....oh..thats right you chickened out :D

Thanks CW, but did you lose my number on purpose?

I wouldn't have answered anyway as, yes, I was achieving a Zen state with a spin to Loughrea & back for a swim oop around the rock & bouys. I'm prepared for the weather, I'm not made of sugar or sh1te so nothing for me to worry about there ;)

Hope you enjoyed your dip. Roll on Humbert.....oh..thats right you chickened out :D

How have you returned already to boards resident hardman mode after sitting out Castlehackett :confused:

Never even thought of texting you apoligies - I am too long doing things by computer. We ended up swimming to the 1st buoy in Blackrock and back which knowing you wouldn't have been even a warm up for you. Twas cold but bearable and I pleased to say Paul manned up and didn't complain too much - except maybe about his cold hands ;)

Good luck tomorrow!

Says he that was complaining about his feet all the way home......:pac:

Friday: Mindful of probably nothing done over the weekend with a wedding I went out for 15k in the afternoon. Felt very lethargic and struggled to take it home at 4.50 pace

Friday evening: I went for a quick swim in Blackrock with Gibbo, its wasn't outrageously cold but I wouldn't say it was warm either. Feet and hands were blue but the rest was fine. As regards getting used to the waves it wasn't much good, not even a ripple on the water

Saturday: I was offered the chance to cycle into the home house before the wedding. Summer finally seems to have kicked in and I made it in before the rain started.

Sunday: What goes up must come down and if I cycle in I have to cycle back out. While I had a filthy hangover from the wedding it was quiet an enjoyable cycle although ridiculously slow. Went through Salthill just before the match so there was a great crowd of Mayo savages around.

50k of cycling more than I thought I would get in this weekend but it was junk miles in the main

Monday Evening: A short 8k run before a meeting in town. 8k at 4.56 pace

Have a tough weeks work ahead of me with another trip to Belfast so training will be difficult - I should have tried to push these back one week so I could call it my usual easy taper before Triburgh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Have to say lads you are keeping me entertained, like three aul wans you are.

catweazle wrote: »
    How have you returned already to boards resident hardman mode after sitting out Castlehackett :confused:

Some of us have to work!!

However, I will be at TriBugh*

*currently outline planning permission is granted, but possible it could be recinded

Saw on twitter last night that Tri Burgh are offering discounts for their race if you contact them before registering

Some of us have to work!!

However, I will be at TriBugh*

*currently outline planning permission is granted, but possible it could be recinded

Ahh good to hear we might have one 2013 face off. I will need to bring my A game to the swim as you will be reeling me back on the bike. Did my first brick run since Castlehackett in January last night and absolutely blew a gasket after a km :o

I hope you haven't persuaded Conor to race it as that will push me down another spot before we even start

I'm not happy with someone else who may endanger my top 5 spot :mad:. Which of you two am I likely to come across first??

• Advertisement

Green&Red wrote: »
    I'm not happy with someone else who may endanger my top 5 spot :mad:. Which of you two am I likely to come across first??

You will see Amphking first, when you are wading out of the water towards T1, look to your left and you will see an auld lad festooned in garish yellow doggypaddling out towards the first buoy

Sounds like I'll be right beside him dreaming of the bike

Tuesday Evening: No chance of a lunchtime run as I was stuck in work, I eventually got out and the plan was a 8k cycle/2k run x 2. The cycle was uneventful - pushing hard but only slightly over 30kph, I did manage to skid around a charging dog that ran out in front of me which I was quiet proud of my improving bike handling skills.

I arrived back to the house and nearly went through the gate - its never closed :confused: Opened it and ran down to put on the runners - no sign of one of them. I eventually found Pudsy behind the oil tank with said item of clothing, he wasn't amused when I double crossed him with ta-ta to get the shoe back and after copius amounts of hugging and offering him a stone instead I was off and running again.

I was really struggling to hold the pace so after 600ms I eventually looked at the Garmin and saw I was going at 3.38 pace. I tend not to wear the Garmins for sprint races but I need to be conscious of going out too fast as I wont be able to sustain it. Slowed it right down and came in to the driveway at 4.10 pace overall for the 2k.

The mother in law pulls up in the car at that point so that was my training over. I was able to wrangle a quick swim before dinner instead and did 500ms in Annaghdown Pier. Although it took me a long time to get going once I did I actually felt it was warmer than the sea the previous friday.

So for the moment I am going to go with not joining the gym for the summer months but I am conscious I was starting to go well with the swimming before this so I am not going over to the lake often enough I will have to go back to the gym.

Wednesday: Up in the office all day - got a run in around Knockma coming home for work. 9k at 5.18 pace. Much faster than last week although I pushed the downhills a little bit harder this time.

Thursday: Nothing up in Belfast from early doors and will be here for a few hours more to boot :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I eventually found Pudsy behind the oil tank

:eek: What the f- ??? This sounds reportable to me, unless, however, "behind the oil tank" is losing something in translation like "fanny" does. ;)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    :eek: What the f- ??? This sounds reportable to me, unless, however, "behind the oil tank" is losing something in translation like "fanny" does. ;)

Ha no - its something like below. And when I mean behind, he was the other side of the oil tank from where I was coming from. All above board and mammy was even nearby hanging out the clothes on the line (which is alien to yanks - into the dryer you go even if its 30 degrees out)

All safe enough until he is old enough to climb up on top of it and put matches down the hole

Carbery%20R%20Oil%20Tank%20Product%20Page%20Image.jpg

Dory Dory wrote: »

Don't worry about it too much. He's left the chain a little too long on the young lad.

CW you need to rein that in a bit, move the stake to the middle of the law, he won't roam as far as the oil tank.

Friday Lunch: A game of two halves, a short brick session during lunch. The 5k with the wind had me holding 40kph so I knew I was going to suffer on the 5k home and suffer I did, getting nowhere near 30kph on the way home. A quickish change and then just 2k at 4.10 pace. Besides my legs feeling like sh1te the pace feels doable.

Saturday Morning:
    I persuaded Mrs C to do her daily walk around the 10k Annaghdown loop, this should give me enough time to do a swim and then chase her around. Swim went ok - again took a long time for the face to warm up and the fillings were at me but the hands and feet were grand. Out and back to the rock twice which finished up at approx 1000m.

The run was strange I didn't enjoy it at all, the feet were cold from the swim and I just felt no bounce from the runners. After a slow first k of 5+ minutes I surprised myself by holding in the high 4.30's for the whole run. Breathing was normal even bordering on comfortable but the stride and legs felt very stiff.

I had planned to slow when I got to the wife and young lad but no sign of them, with it starting to rain and me having the key, I brought the last 2k into the 4.20's. Got to the car and rang them, got a bollocking for her getting lost :rolleyes: and then picked them up.

Sunday Morning: A reasonable bike - 50k out to Barna with a steady pace into and out from the Tuam road roundabout which works out at approximately a steady effort of an hour. A stiff headwind had me at 27kph for the way in. A casual enough saunter through town, Salthill and Barna and back had me down around 24kph average. Bigged it up again when I hit the roundabout again and brought it up to 28.5kph by the time I got home.

I got a beep from the wife and mother in law on their way into town as I was passing through Claregalway so I briefly contemplated a swim or run but I decided to watch the last bit of the giro instead and was well wiped for the day which was good news as I have been taking these Sunday morning cycling jaunts far to easy for a while now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Sunday Morning: A reasonable bike - 50k out to Barna with a steady pace into and out from the Tuam road roundabout which works out at approximately a steady effort of an hour. A stiff headwind had me at 27kph for the way in. A casual enough saunter through town, Salthill and Barna and back had me down around 24kph average. Bigged it up again when I hit the roundabout again and brought it up to 28.5kph by the time I got home.

I was out that way for the first time in ages in February, driving out towards Inverin from the city via Barna, and Salthill on the way back. Looked longingly at the decent road surfaces and smashing scenery (from a wish-I-had-my-bike-here perspective). Lovely area for a spin.

Basster wrote: »
    I was out that way for the first time in ages in February, driving out towards Inverin from the city via Barna, and Salthill on the way back. Looked longingly at the decent road surfaces and smashing scenery (from a wish-I-had-my-bike-here perspective). Lovely area for a spin.

I end up doing that route a lot as the wind is usually coming in towards the city, great views but its not a nice road for cycling. Its fast, busy and pretty tight and a lot of the weekend warriors in the cars will take chances to get by you.

I despair at the hassle that seems to be happening at getting a cycling greenway out to Clifden, it would be a tourism goldmine but alas too many people seem to want their pound of flesh from it and I doubt it will ever happen

• Advertisement

I despair at the hassle that seems to be happening at getting a cycling greenway out to Clifden, it would be a tourism goldmine but alas too many people seem to want their pound of flesh from it and I doubt it will ever happen

^ this I can't understand!!

The old railway line are surely public ownership (via CIE) so there should be no issues converting these.

And if its a planning permission issue, people have their heads on wrong. I was only thinking about the old line Galway to Sligo at the weekend and that too would make a lovely cross country cycle link.

Advertisement