Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

maintaining weight loss

• 07-11-2012 11:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭

I've been following a fitness program in a gym since March, that included weekly weigh-ins, filling in food diary sheets, getting advice on diet and regular weight training sessions. It's been tough but satisfying and I can say that having lost 2.5 stone, I'm very happy with my weight now. I think I've developed good eating habits (bringing my lunch to work with me, avoiding processed foods as much as possible and generally eating lots of protein and fats and vegetables, and not going too mad on starchy carbs) I have to give up the fitness program for financial reasons and I'm worried that without the motivation and accountability, I'm going to struggle with maintaining my weight. I lost a similar amount of weight in my early twenties using Weightwatchers and managed to gradually over the years put it all back on plus a little extra. :(

So I'm just looking for some advice about strategies for maintaining my weight. I've started using the Libra app, which allows you to enter your current weight and graphs the trend. But any other suggestions would be most welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

Well done on the weight loss!
    It's hard to lose the weight but even harder to maintain it :rolleyes:

get out for a walk/run each morning or evening. purchase some kettle bells if you can and have a look at diff you tube videos.

Myfitnesspal is a great site you should take a look. They also have an app for smart phones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Great work!

I lost over 6 stone a while ago now, and have managed to stay around a weight Im happy with. Yes I could loose a bit more and it would benefit my running, but I don't want to as Im happy with me now :)

I have gotten into running, but even when not due to injuries or whatever I have kept at the same weight. You have to be sensible. My issue before was portion size, I was eating enough food for an army at each meal and I was eating rubbish.

You know now what food is crappy and what is healthy, and what you must do is find a balance for yourself. If you have a take away or a pizza thats totally fine, as long as its a treat every so often and not a nightly thing - and dont have enough for 4 people if you can help it.

Best advice I ever got was from an old gentleman, right at the start of my journey was not to eat anything my grandfather would not have eaten - basically cut out all/most processed food, eat what you want from actual real food, meat, fish, veg, fruit etc :)

I also use myfitnesspal now and again, just to keep myself honest one week in a while :)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 tiptoe shortbread

Firstly, congrats on the weight loss!! Secondly keep your food diary going! I lost a lot of weight a couple of years ago and while I still workout 5/6 times a week I find that if I don't manage to go and stuff gets in the way then the food diary keeps me accountable. I pop everything into a spreadsheet eveyr day and then I can see how good or otherwise I've been.

In total agreement aswell with not eating processed food and watching portion size...hold yourself accountable, if you're not eating properly when you know how and the weight is going back on then it's all down to yourself and making the decision to eat right or not!

Run/walk and try to get in as much working out as you can. Could you do the class rather than shell out for a gym membership, with that and working out at home you'd be sorted!

Advertisement