Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salthill Air Show

Options
  • 07-11-2012 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone know who would have originally organised the salthill airshows? Was it a privately run event, or did the Council run it?
    What would be involved in organising this, something like how the Bray airshow is done on a smaller scale? Im sure you could fill a few slots with the Air Corp and coast guard, and then try and push your funding towards finding a nice military jet from UK or Europe... maybe the US might show up if we were to sell it as a 'The Gathering' event (as much as I hate the idea of the gathering). Would be great to line the prom, and have currach and hooker races along salthill.
    If it were to be privately funded, how would you recoup your expenses? Could you feasible charge people a nominal fee to enter the prom area? Im sure families would pay a few euro towards the event to keep the kids occupied for a few amazing hours. Maybe you could have the event at Galway airport instead, and get people to pay in?

Opinions, suggestions, comments......?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It was shut down because lack of funding so I'd start by calculating the costs and see if I could get enough funds in from local businesses that stand to gain from the crowds.
    The coast guard and civil defence will probably join for free if you get some planes in.
    Then it's insurance costs.

The airfield is a good idea but wouldn't draw nearly the crowds you'd get in Salthill.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Amik

I like your idea! Would be interested in helping out if you go ahead with this.

I didn't know about this Bray Air Display. For a private initiative it looked like quite a decent show this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

Maybe a good start would be to email the organisers of the Bray show. They might have a rough estimate of insurance costs, and possibly an idea of how much was raised locally etc. I have a contact so ill check that out.

The Bray air display seems to be a fairly consistent event, so they must be doing something right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

Good luck, I'd love the air show to come back. It was a great event for the city and it was always totally packed. I always went to it, my favourite was the time they got the Harrier in, hovering along the beach.

I think the main thing that shut it down was that door that fell off the helicopter and nearly hit some members of the public, I recall reading that the insurance costs were raised after that.

I don't think you could charge for use of public areas though. I've never seen that done with other events (e.g. Ocean Race, festivals, previous air shows). You could sell programmes or something, that's what they used to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

You couldnt possibly charge anyone to enter the Prom area. Would be great to have the airshow back though, you should look up Niall Farrell and his rabble as they will be your new mortal enemies if you were to go ahead with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

look up Niall Farrell and his rabble as they will be your new mortal enemies if you were to go ahead with it.

Really - does an airshow intrinsically have to involve war-planes?

You couldnt possibly charge anyone to enter the Prom area. Would be great to have the airshow back though, you should look up Niall Farrell and his rabble as they will be your new mortal enemies if you were to go ahead with it.

Yea I agree, couldnt charge the decent folk. would need major backing from local business really. And I know they struggle as is.

Yes it would need military peace keeping jets to maintain public interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

As answered above.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Perhaps you could get old Fokkers, Stukas and similar planes, I'd love to see that stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

It was a great show. Hope it can be brought back.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

Ah might as well stick a few b-52's in as well. Oh, a Lockhead C-30 while your at it.

Thank you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

GAAGAAW time again!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 383 ✭✭Mike747

biko wrote: »
    Perhaps you could get old Fokkers, Stukas and similar planes, I'd love to see that stuff.

There are very few Axis planes from WWII that still exist, let alone that are in flying condition. As for Fokkers, their from WWI and doubt there are many around outside museums.

There a few Allied aircraft still flying, Spitfires and Lancasters etc.

I wonder would the anti-war crowd protest against aircraft such as the Lancasters that were used in bombing raids on German cities?

I was at Dunsfold airshow this summer (where they film topgear). They love the memorial stuff there. The list of stuff is here, no axis stuff, but there was a fokker biplane from ww1 era, but not sure if it was a fighter or not.

Does anyone know much about the clifden airshow? I remember seeing a few planes taking off from Galway airport for it a few years back.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056531786&page=22

good thread above, re Bray airshow, with lots of background on Salthill and other airshows over the years.

Whoever was in charge of the Salthill airshow back in the day, was doing an amazing job to get the display teams that they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Chicken1

What a line up they had, when you look at the last and past shows, it will never happen again

http://www.salthillairshow.com/2007_index.php

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Amik

That is an impressive line-up! Thunderbirds must have cost quite a bit to bring over.

Would love to see the RCAF Snowbirds here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

jamesdiver wrote: »
    Whoever was in charge of the Salthill airshow back in the day, was doing an amazing job to get the display teams that they did.

Indeed. I'd never seen a harrier before, or the nimrod. The German tornado was really great to see too.

The red arrows were nice too but I think I enjoyed the thunderbirds more, maybe because the red arrows always do the same show and I'd seen them so many times already.

The final 2-3 years the lineup wasn't as impressive I thought, maybe an early effect of the oncoming recession. I'd say it would be tough these days to get military planes over seeing as most air forces are under great budget cuts now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Gutted I missed the Thunderbirds..in today's climate it was a once in a lifetime chance :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

How about war planes from countries the selective GAAW don't seem to mind, the Russians apparently have an excellent display team.
    Then again, any Plane could be used in a 'War'

Serously, i'd love to see the Red Arrows back.:cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

The main problem with re-introducing the airshow is that nobody actually wants it enough to put their hand in their pocket.
    There's always Youtube.

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    The main problem with re-introducing the airshow is that nobody actually wants it enough to put their hand in their pocket.
    There's always Youtube.

Yep, unfortunately so. And you can fly to the UK for peanuts these days and go to one of the world class airshows. The only way this might happen is if the show becomes a ticketed event, and someone was going to make money of it.

Suppressing the urge to say "not this sh*te again".

Yes, it does.

Next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

First off the airshow wasn't cancelled because the door fell off the helicopter. It wasn't cancelled because a few people in Galway objected to it while another 100,000 watched it happily every year.

It was cancelled because of the same old Galway thing which ensures the Volvo Ocean race will not be stopping here again.

Funding. For some reason the council and the business people in Galway couldn't see that an event that brought many thousands of people into town spending their money was worth sponsoring and encouraging.

The airshow unlike the Ocean race required very little money to keep it going in comparision.

On the point of military versus civilian airshow displays. The reality is that civilian acts have to be paid for particularly the professionals That's how they earn their living. Even if they don't expect to be paid they like to have their expenses covered. The military on the other hand don't expect money and do it for PR reasons. So an all civilian airshow would be relatively boring and expensive.

Plus there's the simple fact that the people who object to the presence of military aircrat are a tiny if vocal minority and are irrelevant. More people gather for a good busker in Shop street than turned up for their protests.

The airshow won't be back, neither will the Volvo Ocean race and it's seems Ironman. Same reason the airport lies empty and in danger of closing.

Money.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭nacimroc

I loved the showed. It could always start off small and accept donations from the crowd whilst the show was ongoing.

On a side note, one year the Irish Aircorps did a display with 4 small planes the same year as the red arrows (?) amongst others. They were absolutely fantastic and did a fantastic display. Crowd were chearing. When the red arrows came up they were a dissapointment in comparison. I was amazed and dead proud. (Just wanted to get that off my chest)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

I'm pretty sure if major events made any money for Galway then the council would give them as much supportas possible. After all, councillors and the friends and family look like exactly the type of pub/hotel owners most likely to benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

The Prom was a natural anphitheatre(sp) for the air show and the pilots loved coming here.As was said above it was'nt the GAAW crowd that stopped it(even though they tried to take credit for it), it was purely funding.All the pubs and resturants love these events coming but wont cough up money for them to come,shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

Amik wrote: »

Would love to see the RCAF Snowbirds here!

Would love to see them as well, but afraid if we want to see them we will have to go to the Americas. The type of aircraft they use hasn't got the range to go any further.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement