Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 17 League and Cup General Discussion/Woe sharing!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭crisco10

mar-z wrote: »

You have to be very careful buying 30+ year olds though. In a desperate to stop getting my lineout shafted bid I panicked and bid a 32 year old lock only to see when I looked more closely that he had lost csr from his last transfer and was on the decrease. I ended up selling him at a loss less then a year later :o

I'm somewhat inclined to buy dropping CSR players, if they will be useful for the short time. You can get a great bargain. Say, I buy a player 180k CSR, losing about 2k CSR a week for about $250k, I will prob get $175k for him about a season later when I sell him with 150k CSR. that's a total cost to the club of $75k per season per player. If it gets you a few more places in the league, 1 or 2 players like that are worth it.
    Another (slight) benefit is having people whos salaries are declining in the squad, reduces the painful bang on the first Tuesday of the season when you don't have a new minor sponsor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭mar-z

crisco10 wrote: »
    I'm somewhat inclined to buy dropping CSR players, if they will be useful for the short time. You can get a great bargain. Say, I buy a player 180k CSR, losing about 2k CSR a week for about $250k, I will prob get $175k for him about a season later when I sell him with 150k CSR. that's a total cost to the club of $75k per season per player. If it gets you a few more places in the league, 1 or 2 players like that are worth it.
    Another (slight) benefit is having people whos salaries are declining in the squad, reduces the painful bang on the first Tuesday of the season when you don't have a new minor sponsor.

Yeah I can see that logic. My problem was I had set an autobid without realising his csr was dropping and ended up overpaying. Lost about $300k when I sold him a season later. If you can get them at a good price then it would be worthwhile alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭westman1

does anyone want to sign up to intrepro or community challange check out BR irish lounge

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

Oh my. Down in auto-relegate land and I can see me being there til I get dropped again. Feel lucky for whatever Div III league gets me, cause jeebus knows there are much scarier people about to drop too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

Won both my league and Junior league, well two games left but ya know....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 454 ✭✭Israel_Dagg

Have my league sown up. was gonna win it anyways but seemingly a few of the managers decided to give up and not log in so they lost a hape of points when they go back to the AI. Leading by about 40 points.

Fewcifur wrote: »
    Oh my. Down in auto-relegate land and I can see me being there til I get dropped again. Feel lucky for whatever Div III league gets me, cause jeebus knows there are much scarier people about to drop too.

It's sorta of scary how good div 2 has gotten...

It's sorta of scary how good div 2 has gotten...

It really is. Think I was lucky early on, weakest squad in the league kind of gave me some under-the-radar wins, but two of the managers in the bottom 4 are ex-U20 NT managers, so, I'm finding my ass getting swiftly handed to me in this half of the season. Really didn't step up to the tactical warfare mark soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Today was easily the most furstrating game ive ever had. Lost count how many times the TMO ruled out a score for me and i ended up getting nothing from the game. Makes for a very exciting last day though with the possibility of either making the play offs or automatic relegation.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭seanand

very interesting last day suppose playoff is secured but if i win i come 2nd lose 3rd and the 5th team im playing will jump over 4th who has sold up. need hga advantage to beat 3rd really but trying to decide can i afford to give up too much energy

• Advertisement

All to play for me in my league...Currently in 3rd, but 2nd 3rd and 4th are completely interchangeable in my league depending on last day. 6th are playing 7th too in a pre relegation playoff.

Being honest, would have bitten your hand for Top 4 at the start of the year. My target was 6th place!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

secured top 4 finish today, wont catch 3rd as we should both win. think i'll fire out seconds next and save energy! loss wont cost me 4th place

Ugh. Looks like I'm now 95% destined to auto-relegate down to Div III.

Such a close game according to the stats, but never managed to cross his try line. No idea what I could have changed, like, it was pretty much 50/50 across all the stats, if anything it seems I had the better attacking game. Bah!

So now I somehow have to get a win against Apoel Cormosia (near impossible) and assume nobody else in the bottom 4 wins.

Hello Div 3! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Such a close game according to the stats, but never managed to cross his try line. No idea what I could have changed, like, it was pretty much 50/50 across all the stats, if anything it seems I had the better attacking game. Bah!

So now I somehow have to get a win against Apoel Cormosia (near impossible) and assume nobody else in the bottom 4 wins.

Hard luck Fewi, you're doomed alright.:(

You never know, Apoel could throw out 2nds on WNWIM to save energy for playoffs. Hit the LTNT button and hope for the best.

You never know, Apoel could throw out 2nds on WNWIM to save energy for playoffs. Hit the LTNT button and hope for the best.

That's what he's been doing all season and hasn't dropped a point. How he got relegated from Div 1 I'll never know.

That's what he's been doing all season and hasn't dropped a point. How he got relegated from Div 1 I'll never know.

Ahh...nevermind so, you're f**ked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Expectations and perspective are everything. :)

Whilst Division III is the bottom feeding slum you are gutted to be in, on the other end of the perspective, I am fighting for my life to hang on and stay in Div III as the meca for me! I have a last day decider at home to see who auto relegates.

If I win, I stay up (for play-off at least) if he gets a losing bonus point I'm done for!! I'm confident of getting the win, but getting it by more than 7 is the tricky part.

I really hope I stay up, as the team that came up with me last season was Simpletons, who are DIV II standard at least (made quarter final of cup), so I didn't really have a fighting chance with my Div IV promotion colleage, so had to fight with th existing teams in Div III to stay up - hopefully if I do, next season there'll be a better chance of me being better than 2 teams, as I try to catch up with the rest in the league.

Not the end of the world if I go down, but I really really hope I don't!

The scary moment when you sink money into your stadium expansion....

Used a significant portion of my cash reserve to do it to, I should have enough to get through to my first home game and cup game of S18. But they will be nervous times none the less! On the upside, will stop be getting caught up in TM mayhem around the turn of the season.

Hard luck Fewcifur this year! Just think of all the members and gate receipts you gained this year, and don't dwell on the contentment hit coming your way. :-P

oh, and good luck Jackass!

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Expectations and perspective are everything. :)

Whilst Division III is the bottom feeding slum you are gutted to be in, on the other end of the perspective, I am fighting for my life to hang on and stay in Div III as the meca for me! I have a last day decider at home to see who auto relegates.

If I win, I stay up (for play-off at least) if he gets a losing bonus point I'm done for!! I'm confident of getting the win, but getting it by more than 7 is the tricky part.

I really hope I stay up, as the team that came up with me last season was Simpletons, who are DIV II standard at least (made quarter final of cup), so I didn't really have a fighting chance with my Div IV promotion colleage, so had to fight with th existing teams in Div III to stay up - hopefully if I do, next season there'll be a better chance of me being better than 2 teams, as I try to catch up with the rest in the league.

Not the end of the world if I go down, but I really really hope I don't!

I'm not really that gutted to be heading towards Div III again. Realistically my team wasn't Div II class, so I'm taking the drop down to Div III as a chance to restructure. Most of my first team are all nearing 30 and my squad of young lads are now getting into their mid 20s, so I'm going to have to sit down and do some long-term planning. Possibly get rid of my long standing two-team system.

You're lucky to be fighting for your spot though Jackass, makes the game massively exciting :)

Hard luck Fewcifur this year! Just think of all the members and gate receipts you gained this year, and don't dwell on the contentment hit coming your way. :-P

Ugh, I hadn't even thought about the contentment hit! D'oh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

Just noticed a quirk in the stats. hope effluo doesnt mind...

he has just bought a player i've discovered. noticed due to all of a sudden appearing at top of try scoring ranks with 22 tries. miracle total... especially for a team in 5th. not a single try in our league. should the stats count? just an interesting observation!

eoferrall wrote: »
    Just noticed a quirk in the stats. hope effluo doesnt mind...

he has just bought a player i've discovered. noticed due to all of a sudden appearing at top of try scoring ranks with 22 tries. miracle total... especially for a team in 5th. not a single try in our league. should the stats count? just an interesting observation!

That's an odd one. So I assume he scored them elsewhere?

That's an odd one. So I assume he scored them elsewhere?

Ya the stats are gathered by the season not by league or country. You could buy a sh*te guy from div 5 who might have scored 30 tries against bots and put him in a div 1 team and suddenly he would top all the charts for div 1.

Ya the stats are gathered by the season not by league or country. You could buy a sh*te guy from div 5 who might have scored 30 tries against bots and put him in a div 1 team and suddenly he would top all the charts for div 1.

Wow... that's interesting. Wonder if you could make a few bob by selling players on the merits of being top try scorer in your Div 3 league, and then kapow, he's only Div 5, innit. Ooooh.

Best of luck to all those who are fighting to avoid relegation or claim a play-off spot or home advantage today!

I've never been so nervous before a league game before. There's so many permutations to find out who finishes between 4th - 7th. Think it might even come down to points difference. I only need 2 league points to be safe but I've got a sinking feeling im gonna end up in 7th and back to the misery of div 2.

Well, it's half time and I have one foot in Division IV as I have made a complete arse of this game. I just don't understand it really. I have a strong advantage in energy, my pack is about 120KG heavier than his, and man for man I edge it on CSR in the pack, my set-piece is stronger, winning mine and turning over a portion of his, his 9 / 10 / 12 axis is considerably stronger, outside of that it's close with a slight edge to him in the backs, but I'm playing very heavily with drive as my main go to move, followed by some pick and go and then about 10% wide, more or less to keep the ball tight and use the considerable weight advantage and slight pack advantage to bully him out of the game and deny his potentially lethal backline any ball...

So far my two worst kicking players (both centres) have been the ones sweeping behind, who kicked loosely and cost me 2 tries, they also got a try from the first kick off!! :eek:

So I'm not even looking like getting close to winning the game, they're 1 try away from a bonus point, and I need to win the match and get 4 clear match points (i.e. no losing bonus, or if they get BP I need one too, and no losing bonus)...

Every time I get the ball though, I'm just being hit on the gain line, every drive is seemingly started by a wing or something, my pack just wont exectute their dominance, as a result I have lions share of possession, but getting pinned back in my half, blowing any territory advantage I have - even though I'm turning over both his set piece and conceeding less penalties - in theory everything is going right - except on the field and score board! :(

Oh well...back to the bargain basement with me. Very disappointing, deep down I was confident I could do it, this has been a disaster, and hopefully a learning experience if I can learn where it all went wrong, why my driving game plan failed so spectacularly..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

Jackass he is killing you with linebreaks, what defence did you play? I would suspect Rush and he has spammed drift and creative.

Oh woe is me!! For the first time in the clubs history, Polk High have been relegated. Im disgusted. I must have done something to really piss off the BR gods though cause the last 3 games I haven't had an once of luck and heres an interesting stat too, in the last 3 games i had 29 linebreaks and only converted 4 of those. The TMO has not been my friend lately.

Oh well back to div 2. Half thinking of gutting the team and let the trainees play next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Oh woe is me!! For the first time in the clubs history, Polk High have been relegated. Im disgusted. I must have done something to really piss off the BR gods though cause the last 3 games I haven't had an once of luck and heres an interesting stat too, in the last 3 games i had 29 linebreaks and only converted 4 of those. The TMO has not been my friend lately.

Oh well back to div 2. Half thinking of gutting the team and let the trainees play next season.

Hard luck. By one point is a kick in the teeth.

How are Southern Marauders ranked higher than you?

Advertisement