Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Season 17 League and Cup General Discussion/Woe sharing!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

Just noticed a quirk in the stats. hope effluo doesnt mind...

he has just bought a player i've discovered. noticed due to all of a sudden appearing at top of try scoring ranks with 22 tries. miracle total... especially for a team in 5th. not a single try in our league. should the stats count? just an interesting observation!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

eoferrall wrote: »
    Just noticed a quirk in the stats. hope effluo doesnt mind...

he has just bought a player i've discovered. noticed due to all of a sudden appearing at top of try scoring ranks with 22 tries. miracle total... especially for a team in 5th. not a single try in our league. should the stats count? just an interesting observation!

That's an odd one. So I assume he scored them elsewhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Fewcifur wrote: »
    That's an odd one. So I assume he scored them elsewhere?

Ya the stats are gathered by the season not by league or country. You could buy a sh*te guy from div 5 who might have scored 30 tries against bots and put him in a div 1 team and suddenly he would top all the charts for div 1.

Ya the stats are gathered by the season not by league or country. You could buy a sh*te guy from div 5 who might have scored 30 tries against bots and put him in a div 1 team and suddenly he would top all the charts for div 1.

Wow... that's interesting. Wonder if you could make a few bob by selling players on the merits of being top try scorer in your Div 3 league, and then kapow, he's only Div 5, innit. Ooooh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Best of luck to all those who are fighting to avoid relegation or claim a play-off spot or home advantage today!

I've never been so nervous before a league game before. There's so many permutations to find out who finishes between 4th - 7th. Think it might even come down to points difference. I only need 2 league points to be safe but I've got a sinking feeling im gonna end up in 7th and back to the misery of div 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Well, it's half time and I have one foot in Division IV as I have made a complete arse of this game. I just don't understand it really. I have a strong advantage in energy, my pack is about 120KG heavier than his, and man for man I edge it on CSR in the pack, my set-piece is stronger, winning mine and turning over a portion of his, his 9 / 10 / 12 axis is considerably stronger, outside of that it's close with a slight edge to him in the backs, but I'm playing very heavily with drive as my main go to move, followed by some pick and go and then about 10% wide, more or less to keep the ball tight and use the considerable weight advantage and slight pack advantage to bully him out of the game and deny his potentially lethal backline any ball...

So far my two worst kicking players (both centres) have been the ones sweeping behind, who kicked loosely and cost me 2 tries, they also got a try from the first kick off!! :eek:

So I'm not even looking like getting close to winning the game, they're 1 try away from a bonus point, and I need to win the match and get 4 clear match points (i.e. no losing bonus, or if they get BP I need one too, and no losing bonus)...

Every time I get the ball though, I'm just being hit on the gain line, every drive is seemingly started by a wing or something, my pack just wont exectute their dominance, as a result I have lions share of possession, but getting pinned back in my half, blowing any territory advantage I have - even though I'm turning over both his set piece and conceeding less penalties - in theory everything is going right - except on the field and score board! :(

Oh well...back to the bargain basement with me. Very disappointing, deep down I was confident I could do it, this has been a disaster, and hopefully a learning experience if I can learn where it all went wrong, why my driving game plan failed so spectacularly..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

Jackass he is killing you with linebreaks, what defence did you play? I would suspect Rush and he has spammed drift and creative.

Oh woe is me!! For the first time in the clubs history, Polk High have been relegated. Im disgusted. I must have done something to really piss off the BR gods though cause the last 3 games I haven't had an once of luck and heres an interesting stat too, in the last 3 games i had 29 linebreaks and only converted 4 of those. The TMO has not been my friend lately.

Oh well back to div 2. Half thinking of gutting the team and let the trainees play next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Oh woe is me!! For the first time in the clubs history, Polk High have been relegated. Im disgusted. I must have done something to really piss off the BR gods though cause the last 3 games I haven't had an once of luck and heres an interesting stat too, in the last 3 games i had 29 linebreaks and only converted 4 of those. The TMO has not been my friend lately.

Oh well back to div 2. Half thinking of gutting the team and let the trainees play next season.

Hard luck. By one point is a kick in the teeth.

How are Southern Marauders ranked higher than you?

corny wrote: »
    Hard luck. By one point is a kick in the teeth.

How are Southern Marauders ranked higher than you?

They beat 2nd string Deise today and few other wins like that.

Ouch, 42-3 loss to Apoel Cormosia means I'm going down to Div III town.

Was graduating yesterday so kinda had to rush tactics somewhat, so I went with one of those old tactics lists. Believe I went with "i-safeway inverse" as it said something about underdogs.
    Can't help but wonder how I'd have got on with less risky tactics, but anyway.

Hello Div III again.

I'm thinking the same. My current squad has no real Div II sustainability at all. First team are all between 28 and 30 and are at the lower end of top tier Div III level, but at that age they're not going to improve enough to fight in Div II. Gonna roll back and have my 25 year olds start, while trying to fast track the young lads. Might mean missing out on a bounce back to Div II, but sure that was always in doubt anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Injury time try in the Megaminds vs Dunumians Juniors game has just cost me 2nd place overall and I expect 20,000 or so :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭daheff

well won my league as expected with 14 wins 14 bonus points.

Playing Mouse's team in the playoff (hes the team that ran me closest in the league)...so might be a slightly nervy match...but should win it (hopefully hes too distracted with the world cup!)

just outside auto promotion places on the ranking...so heres hoping somebody above me has a shock defeat in their playoff....otherwise its to the promo-relegation playoffs again for me.

if i dont go up this year there'll be a firesale of some of the older lads...and they bring in youngsters to train up to the required level!

at least it'll make the league a bit more interesting then

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭satory

Well after 13 straight weeks of not being in the top 4, I have arrived :)

Nipped into to take that final playoff spot on the last day of the season, and should have enough in the tank to go all the way, but that might be wishful thinking...

My affiliate also got through to the playoffs, but they will end up playing mouse's affiliate in the final, so there no realistic hope there...

This will be the last season my team plays in Ireland for a season or 2... With the U20 WC next season, I am moving to Poland, so I wont have to concentrate on my club team for the season. It will also enable me to get some cash and safely overhaul some of the squad, as I have a few players either reaching 30, or on the wrong side of 30.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

semi final...20 points clear in the table...quietly confident, winnings should solve my slight insolvency problem...(almost 300k worth of debt)

The form gods have been killing over the last couple of weeks. :mad:

Hope i have enough to get to the final.

I don't - still too far behind the top two to risk an LTNT against them. seconds out at wnwim. going for third!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭crisco10

I don't - still too far behind the top two to risk an LTNT against them. seconds out at wnwim. going for third!!

Tempted to do same. I Fecking hate doing it though, feels so dirty. But small squad, first year in div 2 - be happy with 3rd! And think the other semi finalist will target 3rd.

crisco10 wrote: »
    Tempted to do same. I Fecking hate doing it though, feels so dirty. But small squad, first year in div 2 - be happy with 3rd! And think the other semi finalist will target 3rd.

I know he will to, did so last year and while have caught up with him and it'll be close. both of us far below the top two in my division. they have several monsters in the 2/300k csr range!! monsters i tell you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

Taking a huge gamble today, I finished 2nd in the league and 3rd seems to have woken up recently after making some huge signings the past few weeks, however if I am to have any hope of winning I need to rest Mustard, taking 340k CSR from my team could backfire horribly but the risk is worth it... I hope... anybody want to talk sense into me? Am I being sensible in resting him? Will I physically cry if I lose today?? I hate this game.

It's not too late to change, I'm being stupid aren't I! making the mistake of thinking one game in advance.....

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭seanand

i would say win the semi first but im doing the exact same as you(well im not resting a 340k milkman but playing normal and playing my 200cm no.8 lock for the first time). and i have pretty much no hope in the final as im against keogh

lost badly haha! 3rd/4th place play off tactics needed now!

lost badly haha! 3rd/4th place play off tactics needed now!

I have faith in you.

Well, I went for it. Glad I did, made the Final. Given my goal of avoiding relegation 16 weeks ago, I'll take that. Bizarrely, if the other semi finalist had gone for it, I reckon he would have won. 3rd and 4th could have been playing in the final!

So Phonehead, did you survive the challenge from 3rd?

narrowly won my semi final 118-0 :P

now for the final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

In the final 38-5.......

Should win it considering its just a bot

AG2R wrote: »
    In the final 38-5.......

Should win it considering its just a bot

You gonna LTNT? great oppotunity to LTNT a bot!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭seanand

so in the final for my affiliate and main team. main team is against keogh so an all irish affair in zim div2, wont win tho. my affiliate is in the final against johnmoron clonlara razorbacks(shannon beep) win auto lose playoff, exp is poor in that team with all but 1 21 or under so could do with auto to be safe

You gonna LTNT? great oppotunity to LTNT a bot!
    Haven't had to play like that all season tbh...probably should have in the Boards League:D
    Yeah why not go out and try to smash a bot

My youth team won their league by 39 points

• Advertisement

AG2R wrote: »
    Haven't had to play like that all season tbh...probably should have in the Boards League:D
    Yeah why not go out and try to smash a bot

My youth team won their league by 39 points

Sure why not give your lads a few more tries to add to the record books. Energy reset quite soon.

My affiliate also had an unexpected semi final win! 3rd place signed up midway through the season and bought a load of older players with high CSRs.....lucky for me they dropped quickly and i could win 10-0 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

final tomorrow...quietly confident...narrowly scraped a win 87-0 :D...really hoping for promotion

Depp wrote: »
    final tomorrow...quietly confident...narrowly scraped a win 87-0 :D...really hoping for promotion

Sure go full on and leave nothing on the pitch, it's nearly energy reset time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

Devestated to see that I set the wrong tactics, team and intensity in 3rd place playoff... 5 points behind, 5 mins to go.

Safe to say I have secured 3rd place. currently 85-0 with 20mins to go! :D Whoooo!

Not sure what happened to high voltage though, normally close! :confused:

10 mins to go and im 2 points down in my 3rd place playoff against North Down Deathdealers...

7 mins to go and we just scored a converted try from a break just outside my 22...

Winning 20-15... I just hope we can hold on...

Ah ****, 22-21 loss in div 2 final. Completely dominated meters gained but feeling I lost it at set piece. Think next season will be harder now ppl will know what to expect from Mwsag...

• Advertisement

:(

80:08 NDD break from the half way line to draw level, and their conversion takes them back to leading by 2 points... Lost 22-20 in the end, so 4th place for me this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭westman1

going up won well cannot understand why newbie managers cannot find intensity settings still pay day boosting facilities to 4 adjusting stadium hiring better staff

Won the match and now have a qualifier on the 27th!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Didnt set tactics etc so instead of straight promotion back to div 3 ive a playoff wednesday :mad:

1. Southern Marauders
    2. Forza Juve
    3. Grubber RFC
    4. Mauling Bear
    5. Gufin Golfini
    6. Sex Panthers
    7. Offloaders
    8. Breifne Blues

I reckon thats division II.3 next season.

Very competitive look to it.

Won my playoff final 119-3 !! :)
    Dropped from 9th on the promotion list to 11th :(:( even though 7th on the list lost their final :( Promo playoff for me again this season

Affiliate lost 31-19 :(

• Advertisement

daheff wrote: »
    Won my playoff final 119-3 !! :)
    Dropped from 9th on the promotion list to 11th :(:( even though 7th on the list lost their final :( Promo playoff for me again this season

Affiliate lost 31-19 :(

Ah fudge, was hoping you'd get over the auto-promote.
    1. Southern Marauders
    2. Forza Juve
    3. Grubber RFC
    4. Mauling Bear
    5. Gufin Golfini
    6. Sex Panthers
    7. Offloaders
    8. Breifne Blues

I reckon thats division II.3 next season.

Very competitive look to it.

Had a look at Offloaders there, they're a better team than mine by far at the moment... and that's without them trying to buy-in for Div II. Breifne are always good too. Reckon Sex Panthers are going to have issues this season, and Gufin if he doesn't keep a closer eye.

So if I swap with Offloaders then I'm down in III.3, my stomping ground of years back, with Kilsough (who I sneakily know are currently traveling around Asia and Oz for a year ;) )

Should be interesting at least.

Fewcifur wrote: »
    Ah fudge, was hoping you'd get over the auto-promote.

Had a look at Offloaders there, they're a better team than mine by far at the moment... and that's without them trying to buy-in for Div II. Breifne are always good too. Reckon Sex Panthers are going to have issues this season, and Gufin if he doesn't keep a closer eye.

So if I swap with Offloaders then I'm down in III.3, my stomping ground of years back, with Kilsough (who I sneakily know are currently traveling around Asia and Oz for a year ;) )

Should be interesting at least.

If i remember rightly i had it that you swap with Breifne.

If i remember rightly i had it that you swap with Breifne.

But I came 7th! You jerk!

Ugh... now to check out Breifne's former league...

* Wow. I know none of the teams in Breifne's league. Not only do I not know them, I haven't even heard of them. Wow. It'll be fortress mentality if I'm down in III.15, and I hope I don't end up like Daheff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Hello Division 3, i anticipate a short but very enjoyable tenure in the higher league!

Hello Division 3, i anticipate a short but very enjoyable tenure in the higher league!

That's the attitude... and then sucker punch them when they're not looking and take the 6th place spot! Booya!

• Advertisement
Advertisement