Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help Save Real Oviedo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

The fact that this thread exists absolutely baffles me. Irish people are ****in bonkers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

CSF wrote: »
    The fact that this thread exists absolutely baffles me. Irish people are ****in bonkers.

8OaDG.gif

Leiva wrote: »

8OaDG.gif
    Oh great a GIF, from the lad who reckons Torres form at Chelsea has suffered because he's still in love with Liverpool

That's me shown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Oh great a GIF, from the lad who reckons Torres form at Chelsea has suffered because he's still in love with Liverpool

That's me shown.

DELUDED ! ...you forgot deluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

How dare Irish people have an interest in other leagues or non-Irish clubs.

For shame.

Jelle1880 wrote: »

How dare Irish people have an interest in other leagues or non-Irish clubs.

For shame.
    People are entitled to do whatever they want. This isn't a discussion about what people should be allowed do.

But donating money to dying Spanish club who you've no connection to, instead of dying Irish club who you've no connection to, that just defies all logic. The sort of thing sociologists will probably look back on in a few hundred years with no logical answer for it.

Leiva wrote: »

DELUDED ! ...you forgot deluded.
    Deluded is all you were referred to as for that statement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yet those who sit on the internet, arguing with people they don't know about stupid things that have no effect on their lives, are totally logical?

NIMAN wrote: »
    Yet those who sit on the internet arguing with people they don't know about stupid things that have no effect on their lives, are totally logical?
    I would have thought so yeah. The human desire to have their opinions heard is probably instinctive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭General Relativity

When you're making the donation it asks you for; Name, Passport.

What did people put in for passport?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Who's going to start the thread for Hearts???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

s.welstead wrote: »
    Who's going to start the thread for Hearts???

Someone already has

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056801289

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

People are entitled to do whatever they want. This isn't a discussion about what people should be allowed do.

But donating money to dying Spanish club who you've no connection to, instead of dying Irish club who you've no connection to, that just defies all logic. The sort of thing sociologists will probably look back on in a few hundred years with no logical answer for it.

So in your opinion, it's only logical to support a cause as long as you have a "connection" to it? :rolleyes:

So in your opinion, it's only logical to support a cause as long as you have a "connection" to it? :rolleyes:
    No. How did you get that from what I said?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭larchielads

I wonder if the Real Oviedo legend Stan Collymore will be purchasing a share or two;)

• Advertisement

No. How did you get that from what I said?

From what I understood, you said it defies all logic to donate to a dying Spanish club instead of a dying Irish club, while having no connection to either. I just don't see anything illogical about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

s.welstead wrote: »

They have - and look at the difference in reactions.

There's not much as fickle as a football fan, but irish football fans are a breed apart in so many ways.

From what I understood, you said it defies all logic to donate to a dying Spanish club instead of a dying Irish club, while having no connection to either. I just don't see anything illogical about it.
    Which is worrying.

Which is worrying.

What's worrying is the amount of people on this thread and in general that seem to have serious issues with Irish people choosing to offer support to a foreign club in a time of need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Patriotism like football support is irrational for the most part anyways. For me it's the ease of which they've made it possible to become a novelty part owner of a football club that caught my eye. I don't remember Irish clubs doing that but maybe it just wasn't marketed as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Should we ask for our Trocaire boxes back??
    I mean there's homeless, hungry people of our own to look after...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

AdamD wrote: »

How would this be in any way useful on your cv?

Are you serious?

You are doing something decent and shows you have a bit of passion for something.

I've actually seen something similar stand to a friend person where I work

Edit: not that it would be the reasoning behind me getting it but just saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

There is some bitterness in here over people supporting a foreign club in their time of need. I seen somebody post about Monaghan United and I have to say I don't remember seeing a thread about raising money for them on here. I do remember one for Finn Harps and I gave money to that.

You rarely see a thread on here about raising money for an Irish team thats going to the wall. I don't think I ever seen any Irish club selling shares or at least I don't remember reading about it on here or in the media.

What's worrying is the amount of people on this thread and in general that seem to have serious issues with Irish people choosing to offer support to a foreign club in a time of need.
    How is that worrying? You're simplifying the issue to twist an argument. The problem isn't with supporting something foreign. This is more like sending money over to Africa online to help feed the starving children, when your kids downstairs are dying of starvation too.
    ShooterSF wrote: »
    Patriotism like football support is irrational for the most part anyways. For me it's the ease of which they've made it possible to become a novelty part owner of a football club that caught my eye. I don't remember Irish clubs doing that but maybe it just wasn't marketed as well.
    Not remember Ebbsfleet? Surely the novelty has worn off already because it sure has for them.

Patriotism isn't irrational at all, its an extension of the community, which is an extension of the family, all stemming from the human being's instinctive desire to belong to social groups.

eagle eye wrote: »
    There is some bitterness in here over people supporting a foreign club in their time of need. I seen somebody post about Monaghan United and I have to say I don't remember seeing a thread about raising money for them on here. I do remember one for Finn Harps and I gave money to that.

You rarely see a thread on here about raising money for an Irish team thats going to the wall. I don't think I ever seen any Irish club selling shares or at least I don't remember reading about it on here or in the media.
    Ah come on now, almost every single club who have ever been in any sort of financial difficulties (with the exception of maybe Kildare and Fingal who went bust as much because of a lack of interest in them existing) have been making widespread appeals for funds to save them. The general footballing public just doesn't really want to know because it doesn't have the same glamour to it.

Maybe an idea for Irish clubs to follow..

Ah come on now, almost every single club who have ever been in any sort of financial difficulties (with the exception of maybe Kildare and Fingal who went bust as much because of a lack of interest in them existing) have been making widespread appeals for funds to save them. The general footballing public just doesn't really want to know because it doesn't have the same glamour to it.
    Well if they have being doing that please show me where somebody started a thread on here about it.

What clubs sold shares at prices around €10? I supported the Finn Harps thing when it was put up here. I would have bought a couple of shares instead of entering a draw if they had them at a reasonable price but it was something like €300 for one share iirc.

I've said many times that these clubs don't do enough and haven't a clue how to attract the public interest.

Even the Finn Harps thing with the shares at that price was a poor decision. They should have made a much larger share issue and made it affordable to the masses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Pretty sure Fernando Alonso is from there and "supports" them. Surely he could throw them a few bob to keep going!

Well if they have being doing that please show me where somebody started a thread on here about it.

What clubs sold shares at prices around €10? I supported the Finn Harps thing when it was put up here. I would have bought a couple of shares instead of entering a draw if they had them at a reasonable price but it was something like €300 for one share iirc.

I've said many times that these clubs don't do enough and haven't a clue how to attract the public interest.

Even the Finn Harps thing with the shares at that price was a poor decision. They should have made a much larger share issue and made it affordable to the masses.
    Finding threads from like a year back is gonna be pretty difficult for me.

I never said clubs sold shares. One wouldn't even have to donate 10 euro. Just give whatever one can.

Yeah but did any sell shares like this club has? Click of a button and people can donate a few bob from anywhere. Not rocket science.

Selling lotto tickets and the like is great but generally only appeals to people from the area.

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Yeah but did any sell shares like this club has? Click of a button and people can donate a few bob from anywhere. Not rocket science.

Selling lotto tickets and the like is great but generally only appeals to people from the area.
    I don't understand. At least with the lotto ticket or raffle or whatever theres a chance of winning something from your money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Cop on ffs. The OP is highlighting a club in need. If you don't want to contribute, don't.

Plenty of people couldn't give two sh!ts about Irish "football" and might even like Spanish football more.

Thanks for highlighting OP.
    Irish people don't follow clubs like Oviedo though. They latch on to traditionally successful clubs.

If we did that they'd call it begging and not donate. The majority of people who consider themselves football fans in this country go out of their way to avoid supporting our league.

AgileMyth wrote: »
    If we did that they'd call it begging and not donate. The majority of people who consider themselves football fans in this country go out of their way to avoid supporting our league.
    I've never had any dislike for the LOI until I started posting in this forum.
    The same people turn up in every thread they can to spout the usual bollox.

If this is representative of the average LOI fan then I couldn't give a flying f**k what happens the clubs in it anymore.

cambo2008 wrote: »

If this is representative of the average LOI fan then I couldn't give a flying f**k what happens the clubs in it anymore.
    There ya go. A simple example of a person finding an excuse to avoid league of Ireland forever. I'm sure you support will be sorely missed.

There ya go. A simple example of a person finding an excuse to avoid league of Ireland forever. I'm sure you support will be sorely missed.
    How is it an excuse? I don't need an excuse.
    If I choose not to support a LOI team I don't have to explain myself to anybody.

I don't understand. At least with the lotto ticket or raffle or whatever theres a chance of winning something from your money.

To own a piece of a club, as little as it may be,it appeals to people outside the area too,it's more practical.

I'm knocking the LOI by the way, I know others might be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Yeah but did any sell shares like this club has?

You can become an owner of Cork City FC, with full, equal voting rights for as little as a euro a week (this is the unwaged/student price - it's just under €2.50 for people in full-time employment). You can also become an owner of Rovers and Bohs and possibly a few others.

How is it in excuse? I don't need an excuse.
    If I choose not to support a LOI team I don't have to explain myself to anybody.
    So what does my attitude matter? You're never going to care about Irish football anyway.

• Advertisement

Well said. There are quite a few who post on here in a bitter way and all they are doing is making sure there is less chance that people will support the LoI.

And I'm sure one of them will come back on and say it doesn't matter because the 'barstooler' would never give a penny to Irish football or something ridiculous like that. These people would be better off putting a bit of effort into organising something to raise money for the club they support and keep their bitterness to themselves.

So what does my attitude matter? You're never going to care about Irish football anyway.
    I did once upon a time. But I didn't go around dictating to people about who they should and shouldn't be supporting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Philanthropic endeavor.

would it not be a charitable donation rather than a philanthropic one?

but i suppose you could/should list them too

I did once upon a time. But I didn't go around dictating to people about who they should and shouldn't be supporting.
    You go girl

To own a piece of a club, as little as it may be,it appeals to people outside the area too,it's more practical.

I'm knocking the LOI by the way, I know others might be.
    You can do the same here with a number of clubs, Shelbourne soon to be one. Interested?

You can do the same here with a number of clubs, Shelbourne soon to be one. Interested?
    Post it up here when it happens and you might be surprised at the results. As long as the shares aren't going to cost 25%+ of an average weeks wages.

• Advertisement

Post it up here when it happens and you might be surprised at the results. As long as the shares aren't going to cost 25%+ of an average weeks wages.
    I hope you're right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

If they had just asked for money I wouldnt have donated.

People are talking about having no ties or link with a foreign club, well now I do. Its a clever way of generating funds and an interest in a club, and they made it afforadable to most people. Probably made a few new fans aswell, I know I'll be looking out for their results.

You go girl
    Aren't you a delight :rolleyes:

_blank_ wrote: »
    Help a foreign club, while Irish clubs are on their knees?

Fúck off tbh

Of the 47 people who have thanked this post so far, I wonder how many support English teams and in doing so help a foreign club by buying jerseys etc? Just wondering...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Help a foreign club at the expense of a local one though? I doubt many buy the shirts of foreign clubs but not that of the team they go and see every week.

• Advertisement
Advertisement