Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best brand of ready to roll cake icing?

Options
  • 07-11-2012 12:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I am making a vanilla sponge birthday cake, filled with vanilla buttercream and raspberry jam.

I want to cover the cake in a thick layer of white icing...but as I have a buttercream filling I don't want to use this on the top aswell.

I have read different things about sugarpaste etc...I don't know anything about icing.

Other people say, the one you buy ready to roll in the shop is as good...and this idea sounds like a great one...can anyone advise me on a great tasting/good consistency/excellent brand of ready to roll cake icing?

Thanks a mill

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭phormium

In my humble opinion all sugarpaste/ready to roll/fondant, call it what you will, is a means to an end. It is the only way to get a certain look or design on some cakes as opposed to what I would call a dessert cake. As such I believe there is no great tasting sugarpaste, they are all basically just sweet chewy stuff, some are slightly better flavour than others but it's a matter of taste.

For ordinary home use it is hard to beat the Lidl ready to roll at the moment, it smells nice and is a nice consistency and is the nearest thing to Covapaste in my opinion which would be popular with professionals. Tesco own brand is fine too, if a bit soft in consistency.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

phormium wrote: »
    all sugarpaste/ready to roll/fondant, call it what you will, is a means to an end. It is the only way to get a certain look or design on some cakes as opposed to what I would call a dessert cake. As such I believe there is no great tasting sugarpaste, they are all basically just sweet chewy stuff, some are slightly better flavour than others but it's a matter of taste.

This is true. If you're doing lots of decorating, particularly trying to cover awkward shapes, you'll find your favourite based on flexibility, how easy it is to handle, softness, stretchability etc. But they all taste roughly the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

phormium wrote: »
    In my humble opinion all sugarpaste/ready to roll/fondant, call it what you will, is a means to an end. It is the only way to get a certain look or design on some cakes as opposed to what I would call a dessert cake. As such I believe there is no great tasting sugarpaste, they are all basically just sweet chewy stuff, some are slightly better flavour than others but it's a matter of taste.

For ordinary home use it is hard to beat the Lidl ready to roll at the moment, it smells nice and is a nice consistency and is the nearest thing to Covapaste in my opinion which would be popular with professionals. Tesco own brand is fine too, if a bit soft in consistency.

Thank you for this, I am going to go with Lidl I think, if it is popular with professionals then it will do me just fine. Thanks a mill

Advertisement