Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please no more jokes over the dead/seriously injured in AH

Options
  • 07-11-2012 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭

First off just want to say that mods do an excellent job considering the enormity of the task in modding AH. This is merely a suggestion because this issue spoils for me (and possibly a large % of other posters) a really great forum. BTW I didnt post in the other AH feedback thread here because I dont believe its a hipocracy issue.

Is it possible that AH could introduce a rule that there would be no jokes made (tasteless or witty) over the death or serious injury of another person? Its like a circus in there any time a death is announced with idiots falling over themselves trying to be the first one to mop up all the thanks.

I know you might say if you dont like it don't view AH but (Now I may be wrong) wasnt an issue brought up over sexist jokes as it offended a large % of the AH population so they were clamped down on?

cheers for the time
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

There's already a thread about this here. It's called the hypocrisy of After Hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

Thanks for the reply. If you seen in my original post you will see why I choose not to post in that thread I dont think its the same issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

People deal with grim reality with humour. If that Humour isn't to your taste, don't read the threads. I hate conspiracy theories and people who go on about them get on my tits. You'll note I have no posts in that forum, and you can take my word on it that I don't read it either.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Nodin wrote: »
    People deal with grim reality with humour. If that Humour isn't to your taste, don't read the threads. I hate conspiracy theories and people who go on about them get on my tits. You'll note I have no posts in that forum, and you can take my word on it that I don't read it either.

You should read it, it's great craic.

5starpool wrote: »
    You should read it, it's great craic.

....I was on a board with a few of the type years back.....I lack the patience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,507 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Is it possible that AH could introduce a rule that there would be no jokes made (tasteless or witty) over the death or serious injury of another person?

those thread is themselves are a pain and belong in the book of condolences forum, not AH. if posted in AH they are fair game for those type of comment IMO. Why people get upset about the death of someone they don't know or have never met is beyond me anyway.
    At least making a joke about it is a bit more readable then dozens of RIP posts fawning over the person for no reason what so ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Give me a dozen jokes rather than a raft of smug moralizing. Case in point: witness the amount of people in the train accident thread at pains to smugly tut as to why the girl was on the tracks before anybody even knew if it was a suicide attempt or a fall.

And this kind of prim, judgmental chin wagging is seen as serious and acceptable comment but a few jokes are a banning or infraction offence because a few hysterical RIP merchants insist on creating a hostile environment in which the mods have to act.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Well, case in point, nobody was banned or infracted for making jokes. They were banned and infracted for ignoring mod warnings. And it's the smug "I should be able to be as tasteless as I want" brigade that causes the hostile environment. Nobody has a right to be offended, but that doesn't mean you have a right to try and offend. There's a middle ground called "having a bit of cop on".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

thing is, this is not a new phenomenon (da daa de nana) brought about by the access to the internet or the false sense of anonymity it brings, I still remember hearing a joke about the Zebrugge Ferry disaster in 1987 the day after it happened "Roll on , Roll off, Roll over. Our doors are always open!"

AH is a melting pot of users and some users dont see the harm in using humour to lighten *any* situation - note: I'm talking about genuine humour, not pathetic attempts at trolling by posting some "witty" comment at every opportunity until he/she gets a reaction - just like any community you have to decide for yourself how far is too far. to some, banning all humour is going too far and at the same time, tasteless or deliberately offensive jokes are too far. there is a happy middle ground in there somewhere.

if you read a post that you find particularly tasteless post, report it, let the mods view it from a neutral, non-emotionally attached , perspective and decide if action is required. Its what we dont pay them for!

:)

Mod note:

please try to keep this thread on topic. if you have another issue with AH or any other forum on boards, please feel free to start a new thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

First off just want to say that mods do an excellent job considering the enormity of the task in modding AH. This is merely a suggestion because this issue spoils for me (and possibly a large % of other posters) a really great forum. BTW I didnt post in the other AH feedback thread here because I dont believe its a hipocracy issue.

Is it possible that AH could introduce a rule that there would be no jokes made (tasteless or witty) over the death or serious injury of another person? Its like a circus in there any time a death is announced with idiots falling over themselves trying to be the first one to mop up all the thanks.

I know you might say if you dont like it don't view AH but (Now I may be wrong) wasnt an issue brought up over sexist jokes as it offended a large % of the AH population so they were clamped down on?

cheers for the time

There is already a condolances forum. Threads which are not in your mind open to debate and piss-taking, shouldn't be in after hours at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

CruelCoin wrote: »
    ... Threads which are not in your mind open to debate and piss-taking, shouldn't be in after hours at all!
    So is AH solely for piss-taking? No matter what the topic?

Your vendetta against a forum you've never graced with a post continues, I see.

maybe read Cruelcoin's comment as debate OR pisstaking ?

debate: well thats pretty obvious. dont post any thread if you dont want it discussed.

pisstaking: thats different. and pisstaking in a RIP/condolence thread is already out of bounds on any forum including After Hours. If the mods want to move RIP/condolence thread to the Book of Condolences forum they are free to do so. Users posting to express their sadness at a passing should post in Condolences in the first place and not blame the mods if your thread gets "defiled" in some way before they can get to it. this applies to ANY forum on boards, not just After hours.

a little less "I have a right to act like a git" and "OMG! someone on the internetz was rude to me!" is needed from all sides. Be more considerate and grow a slightly thicker skin to be unnecessarily blunt about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

I did say debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Nodin wrote: »
    Your vendetta against a forum you've never graced with a post continues, I see.
    It's part of my general interest in the welfare of boards.ie.

What's your excuse for having a go at me?

@no-one in particular:

please stay on topic and take any personal grudge matches elsewhere.

thank you.

Advertisement