Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

insect eggs on my 'washed and ready to eat' salad.

Options
  • 07-11-2012 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭

Buy these spinach leaved all the time- I pay extra for these as they are 'washed and ready to eat'

Making my wrap this morning I see a bunch of insect eggs looking straight at me on the tip of one of the leaves that I would have otherwise eaten.

Starting to wonder how much of these eggs I may have eaten as go through 2 bags of this stuff a week and never inspect the leaves as they are 'washed and ready to eat'....

Is there much point in following this up with the supermarket I bought them from?
    201211070834241resized.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I would be contacting the FSAI to make a complaint.
    You should raise it with the shop as well but dont hand over the evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

How would you suggest they wash spinach enough to remove all traces of these and other natural pests which won't actually destroy or cook the spinach?

Salad leaves will sometimes contain such things, this is a fact of life. If you don't want to ever see that happen again I suggest you stop eating anything that has been grown.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

foggy_lad wrote: »
    How would you suggest they wash spinach enough to remove all traces of these and other natural pests which won't actually destroy or cook the spinach?

Salad leaves will sometimes contain such things, this is a fact of life. If you don't want to ever see that happen again I suggest you stop eating anything that has been grown.

Perhaps they should not label them 'washed and ready to eat'...it doesn't mention anywhere on the bag that although they are washed , there may still be pests and pests eggs etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Do you not like eggs?

Do you not like eggs?

I do, but not the type that mite hatch inside me:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

that is quite disgusting - the standard of bagged salad these days is muck. I have been wading through bags of it in supermarkets where they've turned to mulsh, even with 4 or 5 days left on the date.

Gonna start growing me own in Spring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

cojomo2 wrote: »
    Perhaps they should not label them 'washed and ready to eat'...it doesn't mention anywhere on the bag that although they are washed , there may still be pests and pests eggs etc

Buy bags of unwashed salad and wash it yourself and you will save a fortune!

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Buy bags of unwashed salad and wash it yourself and you will save a fortune!

Thanks for the tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭dos1965

Found a live caterpillar in a bag of washed salad from M&S in August. They refunded the cost of the salad and offered a gift card for £65 in return with an apology.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

dos1965 wrote: »
    Found a live caterpillar in a bag of washed salad from M&S in August. They refunded the cost of the salad and offered a gift card for £65 in return with an apology.

Was the caterpillar eating the salad? If so then all's good.

It's the salads that insects steer clear of that I'd avoid!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

That's why I ALWAYS wash ANYTHING before I use it. Causes much merriment among my friends but I don't give a ****!! At least I know my food is reasonably clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,954 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I used to love baby spinach that was supposedly washed and ready to eat but have often found mud on the leaves and I would now never not wash these kind of items myself.They really shouldn't be allowed label it as ready to eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,889 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

That's why I ALWAYS wash ANYTHING before I use it. Causes much merriment among my friends but I don't give a ****!! At least I know my food is reasonably clean.

they must love going to restaurants with you

Riskymove wrote: »
    they must love going to restaurants with you

Yes, they do. And?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

cojomo2 wrote: »

Does it need to? If it contains insect eggs does it mean the salad wasn't washed or ready to eat? Everything is contaminated with something. If you had to list all possible contaminants the packets would need to be a mile wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,889 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Yes, they do. And?

er, it was a joke

washing a steak or whatever at the table...HA HA....never mind....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

Do you wash rashers and sausages and the like?

Riskymove wrote: »
    er, it was a joke

washing a steak or whatever at the table...HA HA....never mind....

I know. I was waiting for the punchline....:D
    Mr Whirly wrote: »
    Do you wash rashers and sausages and the like?

Nope. I have to wipe them before I cook. Germ obsessive me!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

I know. I was waiting for the punchline....:D

Nope. I have to wipe them before I cook. Germ obsessive me!! :(

I remember a great bit from a food hygiene course I did. They showed us three slides of bacteria and asked us it identify the surface. There was one disgusting one - turned out to be a dish cloth. Those things are disgusting.

They can be. I bleach mine daily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I know of a case the FSAI handled recently, regarding an insect in a bag of salad.

They took it very seriously.

There are a limited number of salad suppliers in the UK and Holland, so it would be very easy for them to fine out if there has been similar complaints.

I got addicted to bags of baby spinach when I was pregnant, never washed it bags were scoffed in minutes.

Advertisement