Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mathematics Enrichment Class and Maths Olympiad

Options
  • 07-11-2012 2:15pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 401 ✭✭

My principal told me on Monday that UCD invited me and one of my mates to attend these maths enrichment classes in UCD because our Junior Cert results were one of the highest in the country. It seems interesting but just wondering if anyone who attended it before thought it was worthwhile. Also what's the maths olympiad? I'm in 4th year btw

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Leinsterr wrote: »
    My principal told me on Monday that UCD invited me and one of my mates to attend these maths enrichment classes in UCD because our Junior Cert results were one of the highest in the country. It seems interesting but just wondering if anyone who attended it before thought it was worthwhile. Also what's the maths olympiad? I'm in 4th year btw

I twice was invited to do this. It's quite a good experience overall. For the first set amount of weeks you will be shown problems which you must try to solve, they will probably appear to be very difficult to you, mostly because the methods used to solve these problems are very unique and you would have never come across such problems before.

There's a test at the end of the weeks to determine who will go to the second round of training. Here, students are encouraged to work more intensively towards attaining a place on the Irish Maths Olympiad team (psst...you get a free trip to a foreign location somewhere around the world).

However, you are in 4th year and will be competing with 6th year students who have seen much of this before so don't be discouraged if you don't get the maths now, you will be far more able with each coming year!
    Even if you don't make the cut, it's a mind-broadening experience and helps you to look at maths from a different perspective.

Good luck with it:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 401 ✭✭Leinsterr

Eathrin wrote: »

I twice was invited to do this. It's quite a good experience overall. For the first set amount of weeks you will be shown problems which you must try to solve, they will probably appear to be very difficult to you, mostly because the methods used to solve these problems are very unique and you would have never come across such problems before.

There's a test at the end of the weeks to determine who will go to the second round of training. Here, students are encouraged to work more intensively towards attaining a place on the Irish Maths Olympiad team (psst...you get a free trip to a foreign location somewhere around the world).

However, you are in 4th year and will be competing with 6th year students who have seen much of this before so don't be discouraged if you don't get the maths now, you will be far more able with each coming year!
    Even if you don't make the cut, it's a mind-broadening experience and helps you to look at maths from a different perspective.

Good luck with it:)
    Thanks for the advice. If I don't make the cut this year, will I be invited again next year??

Thanks for the advice. If I don't make the cut this year, will I be invited again next year??

You may have done a test called PRISM before. Those who do particularly well in that test get invited to the olympiad training.
    Alternatively your school may be asked to recommend two students to send to the training and your teacher may ask you to compete again.

I made the cut the first year of going but quit going soon after as it really does take dedication once you get to that stage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 401 ✭✭Leinsterr

Eathrin wrote: »

You may have done a test called PRISM before. Those who do particularly well in that test get invited to the olympiad training.
    Alternatively your school may be asked to recommend two students to send to the training and your teacher may ask you to compete again.

I made the cut the first year of going but quit going soon after as it really does take dedication once you get to that stage.
    My principal told me that UCD were personally lookin for me. Could this mean that I am committed to this programme for the next 3 years? Also, are you in secondary school or college??

My principal told me that UCD were personally lookin for me. Could this mean that I am committed to this programme for the next 3 years? Also, are you in secondary school or college??
    No, you're enrolled for this year only, the organisation will probably invite you next year also as you're still in school. So don't worry about next year.

I'm a ucd student now.

You'll find others doing the same in the leaving cert forum.
    Its not just limited to UCD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I went to a few of the sessions, it's a fair bit of effort though and if I remember there were a few 6th years there as well. Good experience but takes dedication.

Advertisement