Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB Phone banking - do they ask for PAC on phone?

• 07-11-2012 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭

I've really only ever used 24 internet banking.

I was using the phone version the other day as i was issued new cards - i had to key in my normal login number and 3 digits of my pac. When I got to speak to someone they confirmed address details etc as normal.

However, when I wanted them to get my card working with my card reader (i was simply getting "card is not responding") they asked my for 3 digits of my PAC verbally on the phone. It was definitely AIB I was on to - but this struck me as strange to verbally ask me this?

Is this normal - or does it sound like they might have been by-passing normal security procedures? If I gave thsoe digits (they requested specific sequenced numbers) surely guessing the remaining 2 digits only requires 99 attempts and leaves AIB (and their customers) open to significant attack from its workers?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Yes - when you dial the automated service you'll be asked for random digits just as you would online. Same applies to when you speak to a human if you have not provided the digits via the telephone system already. It is quite possible the agent or the system had a glitch and had to re-access your profile.

As for open to attack - not really. All calls are recorded and each access to an account is logged

Advertisement