Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tablet for a 6 year Old - Xmas Prezzie - Advice Needed.

• 07-11-2012 3:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

Hi

I would like to buy my son a tablet. He is 6 years old. He plays a bit of xbox when I let him and can play angry birds on my iphone easy enough (Just to give an idea of his ability)

I was looking at the innotab for kids - kind of play tablet. Now this is roughly 100 euro. My wife says to get it but I'm of the opinion why not spend maybe 30-40 extra and get a proper tablet and be able to download stuff a lot easier and for free.

I only want this for him to learn stuff - It won't have loads of games as I can't stand seeing kids with ds and psp and them never lifting their heads out of them. This is purely for him to practice maths and spelling etc. ( i will allow him angry birds though - I'm not a complete tyrant!!!:) )

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

i was looking at the nabi for a 4 year old, maybe too childish and locked down for a 6 year old though?
    it does seem to be the best child friendly tablet according to reviews

if i was looking for a tablet now, id be trying to get this deal
    galaxy tab 2 7" £119 (after cash back) with free 8gb SD card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

My daughter bought herself an e touch in Smyths from her communion money , very child friendly and does everything the other tablets do. I think it was 149.00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Mitch epitag

Tablets for 4 and 6 year olds ??? No Wonder the country is in a mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Yeah them 4 and 6 year old bankers, or the 4 and 6 year old Public Service (whoever you choose to blame).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jinkybhoy

it's christmas - i don't think spending or 100 or 200 euro on your only child is too much really - and I'm skint:) That's all he's getting!!!

• Advertisement

the little bastards will want books next I'm sure.

What I'm not sure is should I buy a proper tablet or one just a specific kids one - from what i can see with the kids one they fleece you on the games and apps - have to buy from their store kinda thing - this is on the innotab.

I can download apps for free for android so would save money on this.

on the non-google approved tablets, you cant use the play store without rooting.
    you can continue to "side-load" free apps you download by installing the apk as normal.

depends what you want:

kid friendly:
    childish looking
    durable
    locked down "kids mode"
    educational & kids apps preinstalled

budget table:
    looks like adult device
    may be less durable
    you would have to restrict it yourself, interface will be vanilla and not optimised for young kids
    find / install apps yourself

im going for the nabi, becuase it meets all the kid criteria above.
    if it was for an older kid, i would probably go for something more grown up, but depends on the kids ability etc really.

im going for the nabi, becuase it meets all the kid criteria above.
    if it was for an older kid, i would probably go for something more grown up, but depends on the kids ability etc really.[/QUOTE]

I like the look of that alright and looks sturdy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I'm going to get a nabi 2 for our 2 year old (she will be 3 just after christmas) it seems to be the best of both worlds.

Or let her have my nexus 7 so i can get a 10...

• Advertisement

Chet T16 wrote: »
    I'm going to get a nabi 2 for our 2 year old (she will be 3 just after christmas) it seems to be the best of both worlds.

Or let her have my nexus 7 so i can get a 10...

I like the nexus 7 alright - bit too good for him i'm afraid - he wouldnt get a look in!:)

good to hear more people who agree the nabi2 is the one to go for.
    is 199 the best price out there at the moment?

It seems to be, i'm hoping to come across a smyths discount code.

It can be rooted and get full market access btw

It seems to be, i'm hoping to come across a smyths discount code.

Where do you get the discount codes from?

if you find one dont forget to share :)

Is it a difficult thing to do?

Is the only advantage to buying say Nabi and a real tablet is that it is sturdier?

Not hard if you're familiar with rooting, I'll find the link

It's sturdier and decent spec but also has the kiddiecentric interface which looks to work well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭Super hoop

My 3 and 2 year olds use my Samsung 10.1 tab all the time
    Older of the two has no problems searching and downloading apps.both love YouTube.I've ordered 2 gemini joy 7" tablets for em.was lookin at kid friendly tabs but they are very restricted in content as the child grows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭SandyRamp

Xtra-Vision are stocking the Arnova ChildPad for €109.99 , it's android too I think. Have ordered one for my daughter's 6th birthday this month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Just brought this http://www.futeko.com/products/TAB024.php

total came to €80 includes delivery,

i used parcel motel ,so free to uk.
    my first time using parcelmotel ,so hopes its ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭biebiebie

parcelmotel should be fine.
    Let us know how the tablet is though, I'd be interested in hearing how it performs.

SandyRamp wrote: »
    Xtra-Vision are stocking the Arnova ChildPad for €109.99 , it's android too I think. Have ordered one for my daughter's 6th birthday this month.

Ive seen that as well - anyone have experience of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭SandyRamp

jinkybhoy wrote: »
    Ive seen that as well - anyone have experience of it?

I have seen mixed reviews, but I think it would be fine for what a 6 year old would be looking for.

I was told not to buy the ones they had in stock as there is a newer one with an improved screen being held for release at the end of this month/start of next month.

They were very nice about it and agreed to order me one in time for her birthday in 2 weeks before they are 'officially' put out for sale! :)

anyone any experience of this

GO TAB GBT7 7" TABLET

xtravision selling for 110 - i have credit with them so if any good might buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

Any opinions on the meep tablet please?
    My son is 5 and I have the meep sorted from Santa
    But now I'm panicking that the nabi is the way to go. But tbh it think 150 is enough to spend
    Has any one set up the meep? Is it easy to set up can everything be put on it that a 5 yr old would need?
    All opinions welcome
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭Not a person

My nephew is a year and a half and is able to turn on the ipad and load up videos with the youtube app.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

I'm a parent whose been through the same predicament last year.
    Santy brought our 5 year old one of these.
    http://www.toys.ie/LeapFrog-LeapPad-2-Explorer-Green-!123420-prd.aspx

Problem is that any decent games were €25 which soon adds up.
    The tablet is a pretty low spec that the games & graphics look dated.
    He soon lost interest in the tab & started playing flash games online on my laptop (Cbeebies, Moshi Monsters, Disney etc.).
    I'd also download him hidden object & puzzle games that he liked.
    We sold the Leapfrog tab a few weeks ago & bout a hi-spec Chinese Android Tablet instead.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/CloudNine-Neuropad-Android-STORAGE-NEUROPAD2/dp/B007X3TRVA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352975460&sr=8-1

It's 10 times the machine for the same money, the whole internet is at your fingertips & the top games cost €2.99 max, most are free.
    It's the greatest no brainer you'll ever be asked.

P.S. You may need to be slightly tech savy to install Flash which is "officially" no longer supported as will need it for online games.
    I post a walkthrough yesterday.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81745804

• Advertisement
Advertisement