Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Powered Dominicon : Fighting Game Tournaments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

Marcus, have got the union with an open bar all night on the 17th? just curious more than anything. Fgs & beers in Maynooth. Shud be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

What's the parking situation in Maynooth like? Might drive down after work.

Its Fraaaaaay.

The campus is free parking after 6 weekdays and on weekends afaik.

Sweet. I'm off at seven that day, so could be there before eight.

• Advertisement

I know how to get to NUI Maynooth, but how easy is it to find the car park once you get there? How far is the car park from the SU?

I know how to get to NUI Maynooth, but how easy is it to find the car park once you get there? How far is the car park from the SU?

there is literally one beside it. http://www.nuim.ie/location/maps/index.shtml
    first pdf, Number 31 is the union. Parking right beside.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

So uhhh.

I don't see a date listed.

2. One day for tournaments.
    Already done! It's Saturday 17th November!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

To be fair to Kiki, I didn't spot that either.

Based on the original post of "I'm posting this up, not to advertise the con as such (that'll come later today)", I assumed this was a December or 2013 con.

I unfortunately can't attend on Nov 17th.

Shame though, sounds really fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

I think Soul Calibur V is a great shout for a game.

It's much easier to play than Tekken and far better looking.
    I think the middle ages/renaissance-esque feel of the chars/stages would appeal to con people more so.

Hell it's even got whiny anime archetypes in Pyrrha and Patroklos.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Laughing Marcus

ayjayirl wrote: »
    Marcus, have got the union with an open bar all night on the 17th? just curious more than anything. Fgs & beers in Maynooth. Shud be fun.

The bar will only open until 11:30, which is a pity. But there are always the usual bars around Maynooth that we usually go to if people wanna keep drinking after that.
    Having the bar in the con means people can stay comfy after
    If enough alcohol gets sold and continues to sell then the bar guys may give us some leeway on that time.
    K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    So uhhh.

I don't see a date listed.

For consoles specifically? That's because this is kinda last minute.
    It's always been on the agenda to get done, but it's only just getting done now.
    I dunno how many people know about it (I whinged about it a lot on my own and the NUIM Games Soc Facebook pages.), but we had a lot of issues with booking a location this year and so that was the main concern of mine up until the start of this week.

To top it all off, a lack of consoles interest in previous years meant no one even wanted to be in charge of that this year.
    The con has kinda been left under committeed.

As Aj said, it's all free after the convention starts until it ends.
    And the car park is literally attached to the Venue.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

For consoles specifically? That's because this is kinda last minute.
    It's always been on the agenda to get done, but it's only just getting done now.
    I dunno how many people know about it (I whinged about it a lot on my own and the NUIM Games Soc Facebook pages.), but we had a lot of issues with booking a location this year and so that was the main concern of mine up until the start of this week.

To top it all off, a lack of consoles interest in previous years meant no one even wanted to be in charge of that this year.

Not meaning to criticise you, but that's self defeating thinking (as I am sure you know!)

People will only come, in general, to tournaments for any game- not just FGs- if they have time to organise it.

Some people have limited cash, some people don't have weekends off and need to book it, some people have college work they need to ensure they have done. So not giving advance warning will always damage your turnout (again, not critcism really, it's a lesson we need to learn too).

So if organisers aren't putting effort into it, of course people won't show.

It's a real pity, as there's no reason we couldn't have a growing competitive gaming scene in Ireland...

Regardless, I will be there next week, and I will do my best to drag a few with me!

Its nice to see in a world of change, some things don't :D

I'll be there. SF, beers, pool.

What time on the day etc. Might be an idea to edit OP and include con info?

I think Soul Calibur V is a great shout for a game.

Yes, yes it is. The Soul Calibur games have always been my favourite series of fighting game. There's something about the art style and the flow of the fighting that I just love. I haven't played much since SC2 on the Gamecube but I still find myself jumping back to that occasioanlly. My choice of console has restricted me from playing the new releases. I hope the next game makes it to WiiU, I'd be happy with a late release of V though.
    Not meaning to criticise you, but that's self defeating thinking (as I am sure you know!)

Criticize away, it's a situation worth criticizing.

I'm especially disappointed myself because I wanted to improve Dominicon's console reputation.
    Way back last year I was contemplating ways of dealing with our limitation on 2 projectors and was gonna totally redo the Dominicon layout from it's usual to try and make that happen.

Then, BAM, September came and we no longer had a place for the con.

After that happened we had to focus on RPGs and Wargames, the two big money draws for Dominicon.
    Consoles got put on the long finger and only now I've had a chance to get back to it.

The way things have turned out though, we now have the resources to have a hefty consoles section next year.
    I'm considering this a Year Zero for Dominicon consoles.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Yes, yes it is. The Soul Calibur games have always been my favourite series of fighting game. There's something about the art style and the flow of the fighting that I just love. I haven't played much since SC2 on the Gamecube but I still find myself jumping back to that occasioanlly. My choice of console has restricted me from playing the new releases. I hope the next game makes it to WiiU, I'd be happy with a late release of V though.

Criticize away, it's a situation worth criticizing.

I'm especially disappointed myself because I wanted to improve Dominicon's console reputation.
    Way back last year I was contemplating ways of dealing with our limitation on 2 projectors and was gonna totally redo the Dominicon layout from it's usual to try and make that happen.

Then, BAM, September came and we no longer had a place for the con.

After that happened we had to focus on RPGs and Wargames, the two big money draws for Dominicon.
    Consoles got put on the long finger and only now I've had a chance to get back to it.

The way things have turned out though, we now have the resources to have a hefty consoles section next year.
    I'm considering this a Year Zero for Dominicon consoles.

Regardless of how this year turns out, be sure to contact me next year, give yourself plenty of time and we might be able to work out something good for us both :)

Regardless of how this year turns out, be sure to contact me next year, give yourself plenty of time and we might be able to work out something good for us both :)

Seconded (to contact Doom, not me)

Most of my weekends between now and Christmas are booked out, so if you had given more than 9 days notice for your event I absolutely would have made a point to attend.

I'll definitely take note of that. I'll let the next convention director know as well.(It might be me again, no one has expressed any interest in it yet.)

Having a guy who commonly runs tournaments and who actually wants to do it would be much preferred to forcing someone to fill a position they don't care for.
    Most of my weekends between now and Christmas are booked out, so if you had given more than 9 days notice for your event I absolutely would have made a point to attend.

That's a shame, we had tried posting here a few weeks ago with this same set of questions so that we'd have a month to organize and a month to advertise at least (We realized that even this was a very short timeline to do it, but booking and tiny committee and stuff...)

The posts all disappeared, I'm guessing it was the advertising policy in your charter, but at the time we thought it was that our seldom used boards accounts needed higher post counts in order to create their own threads.

So what time does the fighting games start @ on sat? Do we go straight to union or do we have to reg somewhere etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭ladnopoka

so how many people going to this to play AE? is there any point for me going to this from blanchardstown? im afraid i will come to this and there will be like 4 people in total that would be a big fail lol.

• Advertisement

ladnopoka wrote: »
    so how many people going to this to play AE? is there any point for me going to this from blanchardstown? im afraid i will come to this and there will be like 4 people in total that would be a big fail lol.

First foray into console FG's at Dominicon - can't fail. I count 3 from here anyway Ladno. You would make the 4th.

ladnopoka wrote: »

Lad-no-point-in-me-going-if-it's-too-easy-poka

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Yeah I'll go.

Sorry again for the delay. Killing myself with college work and other Dominicon based things.

So far the timetable stands as such:
    Everything is on Saturday 17th.

Halo 4 Griffball
    - XBox - 12pm until 1pm
    Marvel Vs. Capcom 3
    - XBox - 1:30pm until 2:30pm
    Street Fighter IV AE
    - XBox - 3pm until 4pm
    Timesplitters 2
    - Wii(GC Contoller) - 5pm until 6pm
    Super Smash Brothers Brawl
    - Wii - 6pm until 7pm

Any edits you'd like to make?

Also, since the console thing is last minute, and you guys have helped so much, I've decided to drop the costs for consoles at Dominicon this year.

I'll make it €7 for a Saturday ticket, just send me a PM with your boards name if you plan on attending so we can confirm that it's you on the day.

Hour per tournament. Best hope for low numbers.

How many setups have you got for each?

Halo 4 Griffball
    - XBox - 12pm until 1pm
    Marvel Vs. Capcom 3
    - XBox - 1:30pm until 2:30pm
    Street Fighter IV AE
    - XBox - 3pm until 4pm
    Timesplitters 2
    - Wii(GC Contoller) - 5pm until 6pm
    Super Smash Brothers Brawl
    - Wii - 6pm until 7pm

Having run a few tournament, I can tell you if you get more than 3 people for each, it isn't going to happen per that schedule. AFAIK we are bringing a setup to use on the day as well so my advice would be to 'give' the halo guys a console and let us run the other FG's on another console. They can run concurrent (depending on setups - even two would allow for this) as I see minimal cross over to FG's from Halo.

Just IMHO

Hour per tournament. Best hope for low numbers.

Given the late stage this was made at I feel over planning would be foolish.

I could very easily start earlier and list 2 hours per Event while leaving out the overspill time in between.

But the idea of concurrent competitions might be better if you guys aren't worried about overspill.
    How many setups have you got for each?
    Having run a few tournament, I can tell you if you get more than 3 people for each, it isn't going to happen per that schedule. AFAIK we are bringing a setup to use on the day as well so my advice would be to 'give' the halo guys a console and let us run the other FG's on another console. They can run concurrent (depending on setups - even two would allow for this) as I see minimal cross over to FG's from Halo.

Just IMHO

I was going to have 2 consoles running at the same time for each tournament. (One for Timesplitters)

But if you prefer to have your own console setup to run it on then please feel free. Every bit of help to make this as good for you guys as possible is a plus from me.

Does anyone have your ruleset for the games handy so that I can post it on the site?

EDIT: What does your setup include? Just so I can be sure of giving you enough space and such.

Setup is a 21" monitor, Xbox, desk, mountain of cables, 4 power sockets required, laptop and some other crap. I'd say one of the long bar tables should be fine.

Tournament Rules and Format
    Prize pot will be split 60/30/10 among the top 3 finishers.

Format is as follows, a seeded double elimination bracket from the start.

Each match in the double elimination stage will be best of 3 sets and each set is best of 3 rounds.

People who arrive after the tournament starts are not guaranteed a place in the tournament but we will try to acommodate them if possible.

1. All characters are selectable.

2. Custom controllers and button configuration is allowed.

3. Turbo is banned. Anyone who is caught using this feature will be disqualified.

4. Players can change characters in each round of the double elimination phase. However once a match has started they may only change characters in a match after losing a set. The winner of the first set must stick to the character(s) they started the set with and may only change if they lose the second set, in which case the winner of the second set must then stick to the character(s) used in the second set.

4. Double Blind select available in the event of people being concerned about counter picking. An admin will assist with this if required.

5. Rock, paper, scissors is used in the event of people being unable to agree on which side they want to sit on.

6. In the event of a player pausing a game during a round or his stick/pad fails during a round, he forfeits the round unless both players agree to carry on. If there is a dispute an admin will resolve the dispute.

7. Players who are overly disruptive during a competition or who are distracting other players can be removed from the tournament at the discretion of the tournament admins.

8. All alt costumes are soft banned. A player can request that both characters have to use the default costume.

9. No white track suits please.

• Advertisement

Rule 9 is especially important

Advertisement