Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Powered Dominicon : Fighting Game Tournaments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Quinzy

Hi guys, it's me, Quinzy, the other person helping run the con.

I'm mostly in charge of pen and paper RPGs but I'm also giving a hand with consoles, and I've been a big advocate this year of getting a proper tourney scene here at Dominicon.

Here is the current timetable:

Halo 4 Griffball
    - XBox - 7pm on Friday
    Marvel Vs. Capcom 3
    - XBox - 11am until 3pm Saturday
    Street Fighter IV AE
    - XBox - 3pm until 6pm Saturday
    Timesplitters 2
    - Wii(GC Contoller) - 6pm until 7pm
    Super Smash Brothers Brawl
    - Wii - 7pm until 8pm

Now bear in mind, these times are open to change if you feel they should be. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭ladnopoka

what are the prizes for Street Fighter IV AE?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

ladnopoka wrote: »

Thought you would just be attending for the competition:P

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Laughing Marcus

ladnopoka wrote: »

As it stands they'll be €10 vouchers for Gamestop, if we get a good turnout we'll up that to €20.

Previous console turnouts mean we can't afford to do much more I'm afraid.
    The Games Soc committee feels even 5 tournaments with €10 vouchers is gonna hurt the con more than help it.
    I don't think its even enough, but it's as much as the budget can do.

Also, you'll be helping charity.
    Specifically you'll be helping a charity that gets vidja to the wee sick baabies in hospital.

charity that gets vidja to the wee sick baabies in hospital.

Playing video games for charity?

THAT is something I can get behind:D

• Advertisement

Nutrient wrote: »
    Playing video games for charity?

THAT is something I can get behind:D

Anyone that can't should forever burn in the fiery pits of hell.

We've been putting a lot of work into setting up a connection with Child's Play in Ireland for the convention, it seems positive so far. Our next update should be on the morning of this Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Ixayek_usurper

If your willing to run tekken, i can offer my console plus game, cables, power-adapters, pads (all xbx 360)

I can speak with skeering and see if he's willing to do the same. He has all the same for ps3.

So, you would have 2 set-ups for Tekken right there for you to use.
    I also do believe it wouldn't take much convincing to get atleast 5ppl from the xgc casuals, which are normally held on saturdays, to go to this instead.
    If you choose.

Btw, both myself and skeering live in maynooth! ;)

Also,
    I'd like to offer my services to help doom and aj, provided i'm not working this saturday.
    However, I won't know till friday if I'll even be able to make this thing.
    But, i will still make good on my offer of console, game etc as i can get skeering to collect it from my gaff, or failing that, my GF will drop them over.

If your willing to run tekken, i can offer my console plus game, cables, power-adapters, pads (all xbx 360)

Also,
    I'd like to offer my services to help doom and aj, provided i'm not working this saturday.
    However, I won't know till friday if I'll even be able to make this thing.
    But, i will still make good on my offer of console, game etc as i can get skeering to collect it from my gaff, or failing that, my GF will drop them over.

I saw your post shortly after you made it, but I haven't had a chance to reply until now. Sorry about that.

Thanks for the offer, but as it is, we don't have timetable space for another tournament, nor would we have a prize since those have already been bought.

We shouldn't been needing the setup either, we already have a PS3 (Which we've decided not to use, due to more xboxes with more controllers and more multiplayer games.)
    Thanks again for the offer, I wish I'd been able to give you more notice about not needing to bring anything!

And once more, thanks to all you guys for your input, offers to come along to help out.
    I'm hoping to get something big for consoles running next year!

And as a reminder :

Anyone planning on popping along on Saturday 17th for the consoles tournaments, please PM me with your boards username so I can list you as getting the consoles price of €7 for the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Voa

Myself, Paul and Tom should all be heading down.

Here's hoping I get to looping :p

Voa wrote: »
    Myself, Paul and Tom should all be heading down.

Here's hoping I get to looping :p

What time you guys getting the train?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Voa

Erm...in 20 minutes :pac:
    Though we won't know where to go when we get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

http://challonge.com/dominicon_console

marvel bracket lads.

sf to follow later

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I'm probably going to get there way too late for any tournaments aren't I?

I'm probably going to get there way too late for any tournaments aren't I?

yes. plenty of beers & casuals. We are already having a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Won't be coming in at all, I'm afraid.

Better not be any Miku cosplayers for me to miss...

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭C0unter

GGs to Doom,Nutrient,Voa,Paul,AJ for awesome matches in both marvel an sf.Especially the tense sf/marvel finals and first to 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Doyler01

Results??

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

1 - Nutrient
    2 - Tom
    3 - VoA

Nutrient continues his reign of terror

Sf
    1) Counter
    2) Doom
    3) Aj

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    1 - Nutrient
    2 - Tom
    3 - VoA

Nutrient continues his reign of terror

Can't wait to watch back mine and toms match, winners finale I believe
    Best match of the event imo

Had my best few games with him there

And my Seth, oh god...Ramza better take notes

• Advertisement

Major thanks to everyone who was able to make it on Saturday.

It was short notice and the staff were ill-trained in the ways of Challonge but I hope it was worth your while even if only for drinks and casuals.

We'll be having the post-con meeting soon and then we'll have a year to get something nice sorted for you, not a week's notice ramshackle.

I've had a chat with the Games Soc President about buying new screens and although we had originally planned on buying fairly cheap TVs, he seems fine with buying the screens recommended by AJ since it seems they'd earn back the excess cost at next year's con. It's not finalized yet, but consoles were such a success this year compared to others that I reckon he'll cave.

Any recommendations for next year apart from the obvious "more than a week's notice"?

A lot of the staff commented on how nice you guys were by the way, so that's extra motivation for us to give you all you desire for next year if it's within out means to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭1man3letters

Any recommendations for next year apart from the obvious "more than a week's notice"?

consider mortal kombat.
    maybe injustice also

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Ok, first, things done right.

Venue is awesome, very relaxed, airy and spacious. I knew this already but others wouldn't. Perhaps a few nice images of it next year to entice people!

The staff all seemed to know who we were and what we were doing and were very helpful indeed.

They also worked with us when it came to running tournaments. I know from experience it's one thing for the con director to say this will happen, and another for it to actually turn out that way. I remember one time taking a near hyperventilating staff member aside at one and spending 10 minutes convincing her she should just let us run the FG tournaments after she shouted at people for button checking.

Lots of casual set ups. TVs were not great but that's exactly why I brought mine, you can't be expected to be lag testing screens for use. There was plenty of room for people who wanted to bust out a game while they were waiting to do so. This makes the day bang for some peoples buck.

Perhaps next year make more of a noise about the cheapness of the food and drink. Eirtakon was a bigger, probably better overall con tbh, but you paid for it getting a drink or food.

Cheapness of convention overall: A lot of conventions can be off putting for the FG crowd because of the price of entry. Yours didn't, it was entirely reasonable.

Recommendations for next year:

Perhaps try more than 2 tournaments. For this one, UMvC3 and SF probably made sense as most of the people who came played both.

But as mentioned above, you could attract way more people next year if you added games like injustice (which will probably be the hot new thing in FGs at the time) or Tekken (always popular). I think you made a mistake turning the tekken lads away this year- they could have set up their own console and ran it with minimum intereference. This will increase the number of fighting game bodies and will likely attract more people overall.

Putting us up a stairs and away in the corner is never going to entice people to play. At other cons, we get passing business from people who see all the gear, and the sticks, and just want to have a go. This benefits you and us as it's more money for you and a potential community member for us. While it was a nice spot, we'd probably have been better off on the ground floor (although I understand this might have been impossible this year).

Announcing games- I don't know if this was going on at all, but usually at cons I've been to an hour before sign ups for anything someone gets on a megaphone in the main area and says "Sign ups open for XYZ". I didn't notice this happening at all. Generally it's done 2 or 3 times including "Last chance to sign up for XYZ". In cons who do not do this, without fail, we find people showing up 20 minutes into the tournaments going "Aw man, I would have loved to play this if I knew it was happening..."

Also, you were going toe to toe with a huuuuuuuuge anime convention in the form of Eirtakon. Some people don't have the money to go to every con tournament, so if there's 2 back to back one has to go.

Final, semi serious thing- Maynooth Sci Fi is holding another, seperate, convention? Really? Why not meld the two and pool resources? That's what Eirtakon do AFAIK, there was anime and games and RPGs going on. Seems mad to have to pay for everything twice when, lets face it, the same people are likely to show for both :D

I'll say this, it was much more fun and well run then expected

I never thought I'd see a con volunteer take on their role as a TO with such dedication as to actually watch the entirety of a tourney match play out.
    Hope we can borrow some of your Volunteers for tourneys:P

If it can be the same as this year (imagine you'll want to make it better) I can assure you that there will definetly be more people from Dublin showing up after my experience at it.

Actually enjoyed being drafted for some games by some of the other con attendees e.g Conner, Conner.....and who can forget OG Conner, Toasty and Claire very nice, cordial people.

Location was also quite opulent and lax for a con which is just solid.

So says the UMVC3 winner:pac:

Just from a boards.ie perspective, by the way, if you want none of the trouble you had this year, pm the mods of a given forum before posting about the con in them. The choice is entirely the local mod of whatever forum you ask to post in. It'll save you all the trouble you had this year.

Venue is awesome, very relaxed, airy and spacious... Perhaps a few nice images of it next year to entice people!
    Pictures of the new Venue, check.
    The staff all seemed to know who we were and what we were doing and were very helpful indeed.
    That's good to hear, I was pretty happy with how staff worked out from a numbers perspective but it's nice hearing that our being green in the face of tournament play didn't cause frustration.
    Noise about the cheapness of the food and drink.
    I never thought about posting a price list, I can throw it in with Venue pictures for next year.
    Cheapness of convention overall
    We'll aim for the same next year and will likely give another FG/boards gaming discount if I get the position of director.
    Recommendations for next year:
    Perhaps try more than 2 tournaments.
    This is a sure thing for next year. This was the first year in a long time that we've had a decent number of console players. The biggest issue is finding time for them all in one day. Unless you'd recommend running them concurrently.
    Running Griffball and Brawl alongside your tournaments probably wouldn't be a big deal but what's the overlap like between you guys? i.e. Are there lots of Tekken players who like one game, but not many who like another and so on.
    I think you made a mistake turning the tekken lads away this year
    I wasn't very happy to do it, but scheduling another tournament would've meant redoing the times for consoles altogether as far as I was aware at the time. Next year...next year!
    Putting us up a stairs and away in the corner is never going to entice people to play.
    We definitely need more signs to point the way to things, I was hiding away trying to sort issues with our printing facilities for most of Friday and Saturday morning.
    As for putting you guys upstairs, I honestly thought it was the most comfortable place, I wasn't expecting all the awesome controllers etc.
    Having seen the place, where do you think would be a good spot? I can't imagine the alcoves downstairs would work.

Announcing games
    This was supposed to happen, one of the big bonuses we were given by the change of venue, but there were issues with the sound system, not sure exactly what, another staff member was looking after it at the time.
    We got it running near the end of the SFIV tourney in time for the evening ones.
    Lots of teething issues with the new venue, but at least we're prepared for them next year.
    Eirtakon
    Yeah, that's something we've contended with forever. The best we can do is to put it a weekend or two after that. Given that we're in November we have a choice of being a week after Gaelcon or a week after Eirtakon. We'll chose Eirtakon.
    Dominicon is the last game's convention of the year, because of that it draws in people who're looking to try out stuff (Wargaming armies, card decks) in advance of the next year's tournaments. At least that's what I've heard.
    Because of this we're not moving to a different month entirely and we're not pushing it to December because that puts it too close to some peoples exams/deadlines.
    Maynooth Sci Fi is holding another, seperate, convention?
    We've never had much overlap in attendees to be honest.
    I'm not very clear on this, but I've heard from some older members of SciFi that Dominicon used to be a semi-joint thing, primarily by Games with some input from Omega (The SF Society). Eventually Games took over the whole thing and from what I've heard this caused a massive rift between the societies that only really healed a year or so before I started at Maynooth.
    This is borderline legend, people have mentioned it but it's never been confirmed.
    On top of that, we've not really got room to appeal to both sets of attendees. We'd need to split it across two builds that lay a campus apart.

Thanks again for all the advice. We'll hopefully be able to provide some of our own lag free screens for next year so we can have more suitable setups for you guys.

I probably would have put us down the end where the food was being served, by the stairs, if it were up to me. Still a nice spot. or we could have taken over one of the TV spots down stairs.

Concurrant running of tournaments happens all the time. The only issue with it is the TO's have to accept "I can't play right now, I am already fighting in this other tournament, I will play my game ASAP" as a valid reason.

I wouldn't worry about the joint con idea. Just a joke really!

One other thing just occured to me- it's a pity we didn't know you had an arcade cab with X-Men vs Street Fighter and SF2: Hyper Fighting on it. That's a fairly big attraction to some FG players. The fact it had old school HAPP parts as well was pretty fun, man you have to hit them things hard :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I'm disappointed to hear after the fact how nice the venue was, how cheap the food was and that they had an arcade cab etc etc

More information more in advance is definitely needed. The Eirtakon topic on this forum was posted about 2 months in advance, that's a good time-frame to think about.
    Running Griffball and Brawl alongside your tournaments probably wouldn't be a big deal but what's the overlap like between you guys? i.e. Are there lots of Tekken players who like one game, but not many who like another and so on.

Regarding Halo and Smash Bros specifically I don't think there's any overlap. AFAIK there's only two Smash players in the FGC, and that's just for Melee.

Regarding the FGC internal games, there's a few lads who play everything, but that's a really hard to thing to do. Other than that each scene is generally populated by different people.

As long as the cost of entering all fighting games is cheap enough, you can expect most people to enter everything.

I entered UMvC3 at Eirtakon because it was €1, and I'd play that game equally as well if I was hitting the buttons with my face.

Nutrient wrote: »
    I'll say this, it was much more fun and well run then expected

I never thought I'd see a con volunteer take on their role as a TO with such dedication as to actually watch the entirety of a tourney match play out.
    Hope we can borrow some of your Volunteers for tourneys:P

Glad you enjoyed it, I was expecting a lot of "Okay, you need to do this, this and this, then maybe we'll be back next year." Such has been the consoles experience at Dominicon.

We make an effort to have staff attending each event at all times. That's what staff are for after all. But I guess that since we're a fairly small convention it's easy to have staff keeping an eye on everything at once.
    Just from a boards.ie perspective, by the way, if you want none of the trouble you had this year, pm the mods of a given forum before posting about the con in them.

This should have been blaringly obvious, I was having a "These are small, those are far away" moment. I kinda figured that if it was a rule breach I'd get a warning so I chalked it up to limited posting rights on a nearly unused account.
    I probably would have put us down the end where the food was being served, by the stairs, if it were up to me. Still a nice spot. or we could have taken over one of the TV spots down stairs.

Concurrant running of tournaments happens all the time. The only issue with it is the TO's have to accept "I can't play right now, I am already fighting in this other tournament, I will play my game ASAP" as a valid reason.

it's a pity we didn't know you had an arcade cab with X-Men vs Street Fighter and SF2: Hyper Fighting on it. That's a fairly big attraction to some FG players. The fact it had old school HAPP parts as well was pretty fun, man you have to hit them things hard :)

That stairs area should be free next year. Might not get you comfy couches, but we can get chairs and tables no problem.

Knowing we can get enough players to justify concurrent tournaments should remove any concerns. And we're too laid back to worry about people being in two things at once. On Saturday we had some Brawl guys in a card games draft at the same time, so we're fine with people doing two things at once, the worry was more that we'd have people signing up for one tourney and ignoring an other.

As for the Arcade Machine, I wasn't even sure what games were running on it apart from Metal Slug and the bog standard version of SFII.
    It'll be back again next year, probably with more stuff running on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I really hate that arcade machine's sticks, though.

Really inaccurate since they're NOT even Happ (they're some Chinese rip-off) -- if you'll let me at it, I could probably make it better...

(also it's Super SFII. You can tell since Cammy's in it)

Advertisement