Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.22lr Target Ammo

• 07-11-2012 4:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭

I've bought a .22 and just waiting for the license to come back now.

I'll be using it for some bench rest and I am just wondering what target ammo there is out there?

I know there are a few eley and years ago I used lapua.
    Any help is appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

dev110 wrote: »
    I've bought a .22 and just waiting for the license to come back now.

I'll be using it for some bench rest and I am just wondering what target ammo there is out there?

I know there are a few eley and years ago I used lapua.
    Any help is appreciated

CCI mini mags are really good, but in short supply at the moment. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

What rifle is it? Different rifles prefer different brands of ammo.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,430 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

RWS R50 is good and not too expensive at €9.50.

Also Eley Match at about €12/13

CZ
    • Eley Sport (Previously Eley Standard)
    • Lapua Super Club (not sure if this is still called this)
    • SK Rifle match (Made by Lapua)

Anschutz
    • Eley Match
    • Laupa Centre-X
    • Eley Tenex
    • RWS 50

You pay between €6 to €7.50 per box for Most of the stuff for the CZ. DO NOT pay more than €12 per box for Tenex or €10.50 per box for Match. They can be got cheaper if you buy in bricks of 500 or more.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

Its a CZ 452 Style.

• Advertisement

Thanks lads. I will get a box of each and try them and see which shoots best.
    I have been out of rimfire for a while and after all the centrefire stuff just can't remember brands of .22 ammo.

I have a Yo Dave kit ready and waiting to be put in and I will have to take a little out of the stock to make it free floating but that will be done in an afternoon :cool:

I have a load of .22lr ammo from both my target days, and currently for the Anschutz. I'll get a few boxes together, and see if i cannot make you up a "trial" batch of different ammo for you to try.

Thanks lad.
    Maybe a little competition while your at the range is in order also ;)

Haven't shot the .22 in a while so hell yeah.

Let me know when you are set and we'll get it going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Dev, I've a mixem matchem bunch of .22 ammo which I'll happily donate to your endeavours: Can't remember exactly what's in the surplus pile in the ammo cabinet but there should be some Eley Match, Eley Club, Eley Sport, some Lapua CentreX, and may be others in there.

I found my own CZ 452 (silhouette) likes the CentreX most - that's what I'd consider my sporter 'competition' ammo. But for plinking purposes, the Eley Sport works perfectly fine.

Let me know when you may be around and we can hook up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

i actually have the same gun a CZ 452 Style and i find the lapua Center-x the best for accuracy , pretty noticible difference to be honest

Where can you pick up some Centre-X and Sport and how much does it work out at?

Not everywhere will stock Centre-X as it is the same class, and price as Eley Match (€10 or so per box). Same applies to Tenex, Match, and to some extent RWS50.

Other brands are stocked by most dealers.

I would like to get a box each and try them and if they work well I would keep them for comps and use SK or something cheaper for plinking and practice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

AFAIK Jim should have some Eley Match in stock (unless IRLConor has cleared out the supply! ;) )

Intershoot will usually have a regular supply of CentreX if that's what you find works best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

I also have a cz452 style and lapua centre X seems to work best for me. That being said I shot a .5moa 3 shot group at 200 yards with s&b club and given their price I would give them a shot if I were you.

I prob just got a good batch of the club though because the s&b standard I had actually had two ruptured cases in the box of 50.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

dCorbus wrote: »
    AFAIK Jim should have some Eley Match in stock (unless IRLConor has cleared out the supply! ;) )

I haven't been down in too long and my stocks are dwindling. :)

Don't bother trying anything more expensive than Eley Match, Lapua Centre-X or RWS R50 (e.g. Eley Tenex, Lapua Midas+, Lapua X-Act) because the difference in quality probably won't be noticeable unless your gun is in a vise and the prices can be eye watering.

Sounds like there could be a race Conor :D

Thanks for the help guys. At least I know what I'm looking for now, just a case of finding a supply and testing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

I've found that Federal Target works very well in my CZ but I would be wary of CCI as I have had problems extracting live rounds, this is a bit embarressing when a ceasefire is called.

Advertisement