Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE off air?

• 07-11-2012 4:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,921 ✭✭✭✭

Is it just us or has RTE television gone off air for anyone else today?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

If you are receiving Saorview from Clermont Carn (Louth) you need to retune to UHF channel 52. If its Mount Leinster (Carlow) it's 23.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

Mother in law has lost all saorview channels on her lg tv with built in tuner, & on a small dvbt receiver plugged into a scart. She lives in Raheen area of Limerick & was receiving every thing fine up until a few days ago. Tried retuning but neither is receiving any signal. Anyone else in area with problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭dave98

Im in the grange and all working fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Woodcock hill (serving Limerick) is fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Tim the Enchanter

In waterford and have lost saorview from today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

+1 re above post.

edit: ooops thought that said they hadn't lost it.

ok here in city (Waterford) near supervalue, so far anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

If you have lost Saorview you need to retune your Saorview box or Saorview TV.
    Two of the main transmitters have changed frequency and you need to retune to pick up this change.

MarkK wrote: »
    If you have lost Saorview you need to retune your Saorview box or Saorview TV.
    Two of the main transmitters have changed frequency and you need to retune to pick up this change.

Would it not be a good idea to give those people in areas affected by these changes prior warning, or does our licence fee not cover that!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

Would it not be a good idea to give those people in areas affected by these changes prior warning, or does our licence fee not cover that!!

Personal phone call is it?

They did advertise the change.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

They are running adverts on TV at the moment. CC and Mount Leinster - retune.

Unfortunately due to the nature of digital transmission it's not possible to display on-screen captions. Every transmitter receives the same multiplexed feed, for a caption to be displayed they'd have to demux the feed at the TX site, decode the MPEG-4 video, insert the caption, re-encode the video and remux the stream. Which isn't really doable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

you need to retune to UHF channel 52.
    How exactly do I retune to UHF channel 52?My Dad is having the same problems and I just told him to go into the Menu option,installation and press retune.Will that be OK?

• Site Banned Posts: 104 ✭✭boiledsweets

just got the key in the door,to find the same thing rte isnt on,dunno whats happening,internets fine though so might just kick the feet back on the net with some coffee and chocolate no dinner day today!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

no dinner day today!!

you trying to save money?!!

testicle wrote: »

Personal phone call is it?

Well done!!! Print media maybe?? I watch rte mostly in the evening and have not once seen the advert. But then again rte wont tie up prime evening advertising slots with worth while information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,921 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Once I established that it was a matter of retuning, even though I am totally hopeless with tvs etc, I didn't have any problem retuning the tv, it did itself! All sorted.

Karsini wrote: »

Unfortunately due to the nature of digital transmission it's not possible to display on-screen captions. Every transmitter receives the same multiplexed feed, for a caption to be displayed they'd have to demux the feed at the TX site, decode the MPEG-4 video, insert the caption, re-encode the video and remux the stream. Which isn't really doable.

Too much jargon! So although dtv is the only way to go, in one sense its gone backwards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

Weird, Samsung TV did not need re-tune but the SV-201 did. Are they gonna randomely do that every so often?

• Site Banned Posts: 104 ✭✭boiledsweets

you trying to save money?!!

No just a pig out day,i have one once a week,its just a matter of picking a day to have it!

• Advertisement

ZeRoY wrote: »
    Weird, Samsung TV did not need re-tune but the SV-201 did. Are they gonna randomely do that every so often?

The change you were retuning to pick up was actually done on the 24th of October. So if you have tuned in the Samsung TV since then, it would have picked up the new frequency automatically.

In the UK they have a retune every few months, Saorview will probably have fewer retunes as we have fewer channels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Doesnt this thread belong in the after hours forum.

These guys are not interested in the answer (already given in the thread already).

RTFM. Its a glossy thing that came with the TV/box.

Anyone know how to retune a Ferguson Ariva 150 combi box?I did a multi satellite scan but still can't get the Irish channels.

toby2111 wrote: »
    Anyone know how to retune a Ferguson Ariva 150 combi box?I did a multi satellite scan but still can't get the Irish channels.

You'd need to do a terrestrial scan rather than a satellite scan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭jjf1974

You have to do a terrestrial scan either manual or automatic

Ok thanks, will i lose the satellite channels if i do a terrestrial scan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭jjf1974

No they are already stored.

STB wrote: »
    Doesnt this thread belong in the after hours forum.

These guys are not interested in the answer (already given in the thread already).

RTFM. Its a glossy thing that came with the TV/box.

Remind us never to look for advice here again so! Point is why should we need to come here to find the answers. btw manuals arent always glossy and they dont inform of regional frequency changes.. Like the user name!!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭MustangMick

No, the automatic Terrestrial scan puts the updated channels at the end of the Menu. Just move them back to their previous locations in your Favourites menu. Takes a few minutes, Yellow Button / OK button frenzy.....

Now as for my Panasonic G10B that could be a different kettle of fish. Will have a go once missus has finished her telly viewing tonight.

Mick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 miochain

I have a Samsung led tv. Tuned into saorview no problem a few weeks ago. Now my transmitter has changed to channel 52. When I auto tune or manual tune to ch 52 I get no channels. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭larchill

Manually re-tuned to channel 52 Clermont Cairn this evening. Was on channel 53 before that. This obviously went off today. I see they've upped the power - Signal & Quality now @ 100% (was 30/40% & 80% previously).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭marclt

They could just send a MHEG caption to all transmitters stating that if you're in the SE or NE you will need to retune.

It's been happening here in the UK for various retunes happening at the moment.

Bit late for any adverts now, if people haven't done it and have lost channels!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭marclt

Remind us never to look for advice here again so! Point is why should we need to come here to find the answers. btw manuals arent always glossy and they dont inform of regional frequency changes.. Like the user name!!

All legitimate questions are welcomed... !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

miochain wrote: »
    I have a Samsung led tv. Tuned into saorview no problem a few weeks ago. Now my transmitter has changed to channel 52. When I auto tune or manual tune to ch 52 I get no channels. Any ideas?

So, a full scan of all channels finds nothing? And you were receiving Saorview from Clermont Carn on channel 53, until today?

Where are you located?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭dave98

its been advertised for 2 weeks on rte platform

• Advertisement

Peter Rhea wrote: »

So, a full scan of all channels finds nothing? And you were receiving Saorview from Clermont Carn on channel 53, until today?

Where are you located?

Yes. Blackrock. Louth . Wondering if my amp has gone down. Power light is on. Bit of a coincidence.

Yes. Blackrock. Louth . Wondering if my amp has gone down. Power light is on. Bit of a coincidence.

Amp... could it be that it's being overloaded?

Amp... could it be that it's being overloaded?

Normally weak signal here. I'll have to get my hands on another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

Normally weak signal here. I'll have to get my hands on another one.
    Remember ch 52 a lot more powerful! (see post by larchill immediately after your first post here tonight) I would try it without an amp first.

dave98 wrote: »

On what channels and at what times. Look the simple fact is the analogue/digital change over was made 3 weeks ago. People thought that was it, as was widely advertised. Could they have not said something then? Then again the eu were paying that advertising bill. Now regional changes, well sure, lets just leave people figure that out themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,726 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

On what channels and at what times.

I've seen the advert posted above regularly on RTÉ1, before and after news programmes and during ad breaks on other programming and I'm not even in the affected coverage area. Also heard regularly on RTÉ Radio.

First posted here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81502537#post81502537

Just up the road from you in Blackrock, shouldn't need an amp for Clermont Carn, UK Freeview signals a lot stronger than previous analogue one.

Mick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,921 ✭✭✭✭looksee

dave98 wrote: »

I had seen loads of ads for Saorview, but had not seen one for channels going off or changing.

Remember ch 52 a lot more powerful! (see post by larchill immediately after your first post here tonight) I would try it without an amp first.

I have. No signal.

Just up the road from you in Blackrock, shouldn't need an amp for Clermont Carn, UK Freeview signals a lot stronger than previous analogue one.

Mick

Where I am there has never been a good signal. Same for.my immediate neighbours. Its strange I know being so close to the transmitter.

Where I am there has never been a good signal. Same for.my immediate neighbours. Its strange I know being so close to the transmitter.

No worries, up near the "Violet", mobile signals poor too, same up in Ard Na Mara.

Good luck
    Mick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

I have a triax combo box. When I select terrestrial retune it finds no channels whatsoever. Any help?

Brian017 wrote: »
    I have a triax combo box. When I select terrestrial retune it finds no channels whatsoever. Any help?

What transmitter do you use?
    What type of aerial do you have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

The Cush wrote: »
    What transmitter do you use?
    What type of aerial do you have?

I think it's the Mt Leinster one. Its the ST-HD 537 model which is connected to an UHF aerial on the roof. I can recieve all the UK channels fine it's just the Irish ones. When I go to information both the signal strength and quality bars are at 0%

Brian017 wrote: »
    I think it's the Mt Leinster one. Its the ST-HD 537 model which is connected to an UHF aerial on the roof. I can recieve all the UK channels fine it's just the Irish ones. When I go to information both the signal strength and quality bars are at 0%

Could it be the wrong group aerial?

Up to yesterday and since DTT started broadcasting from Mt Leinster back in late 2008/early 2009 a Group B aerial was required for Saorview (or wideband aerial if analogue was required also). A wideband or Group A will be required now for Saorview.

When was the aerial installed and was it used for the analogue channels?

• Advertisement
Advertisement