Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MCD "Big Announcement"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

isn't there to be a second slane this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

isn't there to be a second slane this year?

They won't announce the second Slane date the day after tickets for the first date go on sale!!

Plus, Slane gigs are always announced by Lord Henry at the Castle and not directly by MCD.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

I wont be Rod Stewart anyways
    ROD STEWART ‘Live The Life’ Tour, RDS Arena Dublin, Saturday 29 June 2013. Odyssey Arena Belfast, 26 June 2013. Tickets on sale Thursday 15 November at 9.00am. Following his sell out Shows in 2010, ROD STEWART has confirmed he will return to Ireland in 2013 to play the RDS Arena Dublin on Saturday 29 June as part of his ‘Live The Life’ Tour. He will also play a date at Belfast’s Odyssey Arena on 26 June. Tickets go on sale Thursday 15 November at 9.00am

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

2 day festival, moving away from Punchestown, think castle grounds maybe.... central ireland

srumball wrote: »
    2 day festival, moving away from Punchestown, think castle grounds maybe.... central ireland

Why would they move from Punchestown?

• Advertisement

Kildare coco really not happy with it the last few years, also the HUGE loss being made on it being held there over 4 days. Tickets sales awful the last 2 years. I'd say going to be smaller and 2 days, better acts. I have worked it for years, lived in punchestown on site for the whole process, its become a disaster of a gig, terrible publicity after assaults, deaths, rapes, arrests etc also.

Not sustainable in its current form, they have to re brand it and start a fresh

Kildare coco really not happy with it the last few years, also the HUGE loss being made on it being held there over 4 days. Tickets sales awful the last 2 years. I'd say going to be smaller and 2 days, better acts. I have worked it for years, lived in punchestown on site for the whole process, its become a disaster of a gig, terrible publicity after assaults, deaths, rapes, arrests etc also.

I agree that they need to start fresh , but i cant see them moving away from Punchestown imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

It would appear Nass Town Councillor, Alan Kelly would not agree with what you've just said: (at top and bottom of article)

"It’s obviously a big loss to the area. It’s not just festival itself, it’s people coming through the town which is a big boost to the town. It’s a terrible loss."

Full article here: http://thedailyedge.thejournal.ie/oxegen-cancelled-next-year-but-organisers-say-it-will-be-back-in-2013-310152-Dec2011/

maybe they wont, i dont really know. I did hear they wanna shake it up big time, whether or not that will actually happen you never know with MCD, they have a fair bit of backing now from the UK so they could announce something big, but doubt it will go that way, sure when OX started she was only a small festival.

Desmond does own most of punchestown also which would help cut the cost of having it there, no real point speculating as im sure we will know by the end of the day, i just hope it is slick, havent had fun at an oxegen in about 4 years!!

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jossnjuice

Heard its a 2 dayer closer to Dublin myself......could be fairyhouse again. but it'd be a logistical nightmare to have it in the park due to camping etc........

Apart from them two venues none spring to mind off hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

maybe they wont, i dont really know. I did hear they wanna shake it up big time, whether or not that will actually happen you never know with MCD, they have a fair bit of backing now from the UK so they could announce something big, but doubt it will go that way, sure when OX started she was only a small festival.

Desmond does own most of punchestown also which would help cut the cost of having it there, no real point speculating as im sure we will know by the end of the day, i just hope it is slick, havent had fun at an oxegen in about 4 years!!
    when it was Witnness at Fairyhouse it was 30,000.
    when it became Oxegen, it was 50,000.
    neither of those is "small".

and Kildare Hunt Club own Punchestown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Does the Kildare Hunt Club not own Punchestown?

when it was Witnness at Fairyhouse it was 30,000.
    when it became Oxegen, it was 50,000.
    neither of those is "small".

and Kildare Hunt Club own Punchestown.

I think if Oxegen just went back to 50,000 with 3 stages (one being a new bands stage) 2 days id be happy (once it was a good line up)

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

why would they move it from Punchestown? it's perfect for Oxegen :confused:
    there's few, if any other places that they could hold it.

Yeah, there are very few fields in Ireland, especially ones with terrible transport links.

Yeah, there are very few fields in Ireland, especially ones with terrible transport links.

Punchestown is handy enough to get too , its about 30 mins away from Dublin(traffice depending) . Also MCD might have a contract with Punchestown for "X" amount of years to use their grounds for gigs etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Lads, MCD dont give a toss what people want. They know they can cram 5 stages full of shít and it will still sell. Long gone are the good days of Witnness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

yes, because all that's required for Oxegen is a few fields. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Melion wrote: »
    Lads, MCD dont give a toss what people want. They know they can cram 5 stages full of shít and it will still sell. Long gone are the good days of Witnness.

If you say so.
    271005_10150259447137836_680202835_7427560_7489996_n.jpg

Heard this mentioned while in town today and the first thing that went through my head was that Soundgarden or the Deftones could be playing here and the announcement was to coincide with the release of their new albums. Then realised this was a silly thought and the announcement will most likely involve some over the hill band reuniting and playing to help the pension fund or some tween sensation who play radio friendly crap or else a grossly over rated Irish artist.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Halloran springs

There's no way oxegen will be held in the phoenix park lol! Look what 1 swedish house mafia gig did there, multiply it by 100 and you have 'O' in the park

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 muzikmofo

Really think its going to be Oxegen that will be announced in the morning, but similar as what has been said in the thread. Phoenix Park to host it, with Kings of Leon and Stone Roses to headline!

Got a early edition of the Metro at the Luas stop about an hour ago and looks like this will be the big announcement

534537_10152260051425521_1578114473_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

Got a early edition of the Metro at the Luas stop about an hour ago and looks like this will be the big announcement

534537_10152260051425521_1578114473_n.jpg
    Ha was just about to post
    Heard an ad on today fm just there and it got cut short

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭_Lola_

Ok, I can't see the pic. :confused:
    What's the big announcement?

_Lola_ wrote: »
    Ok, I can't see the pic. :confused:
    What's the big announcement?

Roger Waters is back with The Wall Live show.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭thedoc46

I hope its an announcement for Daft Punk to be playing here next year, They are working on a new album so i would hope a tour would be on cards also :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Roger Waters is back with The Wall Live show.
    Damn... now that I wouldn't mind.

So long as it's not held in some ****ing field in the middle of no where. But if it's somewhere like the o2 then I'll be there...

edit: Just realised it's in the Aviva, happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

I was expecting to be disappointed with this "big news", but Im over the dark side of the moon!

Ive seen Roger Waters 4 times and his shows are incredible.

Fantastic stuff!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Yeah, I may just have to... hmmm :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

It will be hard to beat the shows at the Point in 2011 but there's only one way to find out.;)

Advertisement