Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MCD "Big Announcement"

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Actually there is one way to top the Point 2011 shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

rednik wrote: »
    Actually there is one way to top the Point 2011 shows.

That gives me tingles every time I see it and I wasn't even there!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Once David gets the words right this time...
    :D

Dark Side of the Moon in Cork (with Nick Mason on drums) and the Wall show in the O2 last time are two of the best things I've ever been at. When it comes to putting on an epic production, Waters is in a league of his own.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

now that is big

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Agreed that gig in Cork was the best gig I've ever been to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Seems like a weird booking. Actually, taking the show on a stadium tour sounds like quite the lofty ambition. Or maybe I'm missing something here.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

honru wrote: »
    Seems like a weird booking. Actually, taking the show on a stadium tour sounds like quite the lofty ambition. Or maybe I'm missing something here.
    book it...and they'll come

honru wrote: »

Hmmm... If you saw it the last time, I'd have hoped you'd understand.
    If you didn't, please believe the hype - it's a phenomenal production.

I know some people were unhappy about the sound in the O2, but that was more to do with the design of that particular venue, and not the fault of the production. I was sitting in the balcony and I thought it was perfect. As I posted at the time on that particular thread, the O2's configuration for standing shows means that a balcony is created, which meant that a lot of people on the floor weren't getting the full effect of the surround sound, as it was being deadened by a balcony that shouldn't have been there. Other arenas, (the MEN, the London Arena, the Odyssey) are just like a giant hall, and those are the type of venues that The Wall was ultimately designed for.
    I don't think this is a lofty ambition to put the show in a stadium. Pink Floyd are still massively popular, and with David Gilmour no longer interested in touring any "version" of the band (a decision that predated Richard Wright's death), a Roger Waters show is the closest you'll get. And The Wall show, because of the anonymity of the band anyway, means it's like seeing them in 1980-81, but with much better production values. Sure, pedants will say you need Gilmour for Comfortably Numb, but I think such criticisms are churlish, in the light of the sheer size and scale of the production. This is a truly epic stage show, poignant and provocative, and is testament to Waters' self-appointed title as the "creative genius" behind the band's best work.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Hmmm... If you saw it the last time, I'd have hoped you'd understand.
    If you didn't, please believe the hype - it's a phenomenal production.

I know some people were unhappy about the sound in the O2, but that was more to do with the design of that particular venue, and not the fault of the production. I was sitting in the balcony and I thought it was perfect. As I posted at the time on that particular thread, the O2's configuration for standing shows means that a balcony is created, which meant that a lot of people on the floor weren't getting the full effect of the surround sound, as it was being deadened by a balcony that shouldn't have been there. Other arenas, (the MEN, the London Arena, the Odyssey) are just like a giant hall, and those are the type of venues that The Wall was ultimately designed for.
    I don't think this is a lofty ambition to put the show in a stadium. Pink Floyd are still massively popular, and with David Gilmour no longer interested in touring any "version" of the band (a decision that predated Richard Wright's death), a Roger Waters show is the closest you'll get. And The Wall show, because of the anonymity of the band anyway, means it's like seeing them in 1980-81, but with much better production values. Sure, pedants will say you need Gilmour for Comfortably Numb, but I think such criticisms are churlish, in the light of the sheer size and scale of the production. This is a truly epic stage show, poignant and provocative, and is testament to Waters' self-appointed title as the "creative genius" behind the band's best work.

Oh I have no doubt that it's a great show, I just question whether it will be a stadium-filler.

If it's fully seated, it'll sell out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭eldest200

I'm going to the US this summer (I won't be going to any big shows next summer) and really want to go to a festival e.g. slane or oxygen and me and my dad are Pink Floyd fans would it def be worth going to see Roger Waters live @ Dublin instead of going to those festivals?

eldest200 wrote: »
    Would it definitely be worth going to see Roger Waters live in Dublin instead of going to those festivals?

Unequivocally, yes, especially if (a) you particularly like The Wall album and (b) you've never seen the show before.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Even if a) and b) don't apply, I'd still go to The Wall ahead of Slane or Oxygene any day of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

scudzilla wrote: »
    That gives me tingles every time I see it and I wasn't even there!

You and me both! My only comfort from missing it was at least I was at Rush's first ever Dublin gig while it was going on....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

Eldest200, my first gig ever was in 1987 and Ive been to hundreds of concerts since.

Roger Waters "The Wall" at the O2 were the best concerts Ive seen.

You only have to look at the comments from anybody thats seen him before to realise how good his live shows are.

As this will be the last leg of his last tour, do not miss it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

so is this the big announcement? is that official?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Quite surprised with this, had no idea it would be Roger Waters.

September is a while yet, are tickets going on sale next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭eldest200

karaokeman wrote: »
    are tickets going on sale next week?

Onsale Friday 16th November 9am and I think there are pre sales next Tuesday via MCD's facebook page

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

so is this the big announcement? is that official?

Was biggest announcement today, so yup. A massive name, a massive production, one of the best ever stage shows for one of the best known albums...massive doesnt do it justice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Ahhhhhhh delighted. Haven't seen the tour and wish I had last time. This is gonna be bananas I can't wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

Punchestown is handy enough to get too , its about 30 mins away from Dublin(traffice depending) . Also MCD might have a contract with Punchestown for "X" amount of years to use their grounds for gigs etc

I was half joking with my post and it is easy enough to get to for something like Oxegen because people's arrival times are staggered, but getting out of there when there's a big crowd is a nightmare. As is getting there for a one day gig, as anyone who was at AC/DC will know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭bren2001

I, personally, didn't like the announcement. Cant say I listen to Roger Walters. I did find it a bit of an odd announcement. Didnt think he had the following in Ireland to sell out the Aviva? (I know who he is, just think its a bit of an odd transition from the o2 to the Aviva, surely the RDS would of been a safer bet. 2 nights if the first sold out).

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

It's not that strange an announcement, really. He did two nights in the o2 last year, which adds up to a pretty big crowd and if you look at his tour dates, they're mostly stadia he's playing in. According to his official site, the show's been tailored for stadium gigs, so there was no other option really.
    “I’m extremely glad to be playing The Wall in Europe again. It’s going to be a lot of fun for all of us. I’ve reworked the show to play outdoors in large stadiums. It’s really good. Even more moving, engaging, dramatic and thrilling than the Arena shows. I’ve had to rethink the whole thing about stadiums. This wide wall stadium show couldn’t have been done 40 years ago. We couldn’t have filled the space in a way that would have been emotionally, musically and theatrically satisfying. Technology has changed. Now we can.”

http://www.roger-waters.com/news.php

Advertisement