Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brunch Places

Options
  • 07-11-2012 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hey guys,

I've been struggling for a while to find a decent brunch place in the city but no luck so far. Hoping some of you might have a suggestion?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

You looking for pancakes and waffles and schtuff?
    Because, if such a place exists, tell me too.

I'd love somewhere like wafflehouse or huddlehut in Ireland.

Hashbrowns, covered, smothered, chunked and scattered and a big glass of fresh OJ, best hangover cure in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I go to Kelly's or Nimmos for brunch.
    Where have you been so far OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Ard Bia do a decent brunch i hear. Il Vicolo do/did a ricotta pancakes,bacon and maple syrup type one too and it was damn fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

Kai did the one time I was there. It was yummy..

Anyone know anywhere that does eggs benedict actually.. mmmMM

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Hennybug

Anyone know anywhere that does eggs benedict actually.. mmmMM[/QUOTE]

Corrib House do :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

I think the Oslo in Salthill does Eggs Benedict

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭tiger_cub

The grainstore was the ideal brunch spot in town, it is missed!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

High Café, upstairs between Sonny's and the Bunch of Grapes is great. The staff are very attractive, now that you mention it, but the food is lovely in its own right.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭chickendinner

450-Brunch_09_tcm28-299267.jpg

DSC05327_large.JPG?picture=55780

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

There's alway one...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭jmauel

Try the Gourmet tart in Salthill. Very nice brunch options at the weekend. Including Eggs benedict

Ficheall wrote: »
    High Café, upstairs between Sonny's and the Bunch of Grapes is great. The staff are very attractive, now that you mention it, but the food is lovely in its own right.
    +1, food is great, prices are good and great portions too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

neemish wrote: »
    There's alway one...
    There's probably loads of brunches left in Happy days since it's got so cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

A good brunch/eggs benedict is the holy grail for me and I haven't managed to find it in Galway yet. The Eggs Benedict in the Oslo was served with the oddest hollandaise sauce ever, it had to be out of a jar and tasted of precisely nothing. I haven't dared try it since. The Gourmet Tart version is ok, nothing special and it galls me to pay €8.50 for a small plate of food when the full Irish is €8.95 including coffee. So I end up paying the best part of €11 for half the amount of food :rolleyes: I'm not mourning the Grainstore either as their eggs benedict consisted of two eggs on half a muffin and again, not cheap. Must try brunch at Kai soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ratac

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I've friends visiting this weekend so wanted to find some places to take them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

The Eggs Benedict in the Oslo was served with the oddest hollandaise sauce ever, it had to be out of a jar and tasted of precisely nothing. .

Nowhere in the world uses hollandaise from a jar, and the Oslo certainly don't use pre-prepared hollandaise. You might not have liked it but I for one can vouch for their Hollandaise being make to fresh each day by the kitchen. Hollandaise doesn't keep, ever, and I have never seen a pre-prepared product that was worth using as it is actually insanely cheap, easy and quick to make fresh.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Nowhere in the world uses hollandaise from a jar, and the Oslo certainly don't use pre-prepared hollandaise. You might not have liked it but I for one can vouch for their Hollandaise being make to fresh each day by the kitchen. Hollandaise doesn't keep, ever, and I have never seen a pre-prepared product that was worth using as it is actually insanely cheap, easy and quick to make fresh.

I'm sorry if you have a connection with the Oslo Seaneh but if it wasn't from a jar then whoever made it has never seen a recipe for hollandaise. I "didn't like it" because it didn't taste like hollandaise should. If an amateur like me can make hollandaise at home successfully I think I'm entitled to expect to be served the real deal in a restaurant. I admire your sentiment in saying that it's cheap, easy and quick to make and I totally agree however I have to tell you that I have on occasion been told in restaurants that the eggs benedict was off that day "because we have no sauce". What, no eggs, butter and lemons in the kitchen??!! Hence I have to respectfully disagree with the statement nowhere in the world uses hollandaise from a jar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

A good brunch/eggs benedict is the holy grail for me and I haven't managed to find it in Galway yet. The Eggs Benedict in the Oslo was served with the oddest hollandaise sauce ever, it had to be out of a jar and tasted of precisely nothing. I haven't dared try it since. The Gourmet Tart version is ok, nothing special and it galls me to pay €8.50 for a small plate of food when the full Irish is €8.95 including coffee. So I end up paying the best part of €11 for half the amount of food :rolleyes: I'm not mourning the Grainstore either as their eggs benedict consisted of two eggs on half a muffin and again, not cheap. Must try brunch at Kai soon.

Just curious about the maths in your post. What was 11 euro? How did you come to that figure?

kraggy wrote: »
    Just curious about the maths in your post. What was 11 euro? How did you come to that figure?

As I said in my post, the full irish including coffee is €8.95 so eggs benedict at €8.50 plus coffee at €2something is therefore the "best part of €11".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Right, I get you now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭ceannbui

Is Nimmos the place next to the actual Spanish Arch at the bottom/top of the Long Walk? if so, i would very highly recommend it. lovely food and wonderful atmosphere, all that stone and wood and if you're lucky you get a seat by a window looking out onto the river. i miss that place. does it still open late for bottles of wine?

ceannbui wrote: »
    Is Nimmos the place next to the actual Spanish Arch at the bottom/top of the Long Walk? if so, i would very highly recommend it. lovely food and wonderful atmosphere, all that stone and wood and if you're lucky you get a seat by a window looking out onto the river. i miss that place. does it still open late for bottles of wine?
    Ard Bia.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Does anyone remember Strawberry Fields, there used to be two of them in Galway in the early 1990s, one in Salthill and one where the Charcoal Grill is now near the Dail bar. 1950s style diner with some amazing sandwiches and brunch items.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭PauricTheLodger

Erm. I made this a while back if it's of any use? Nowhere near finished though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Does anyone remember Strawberry Fields, there used to be two of them in Galway in the early 1990s, one in Salthill and one where the Charcoal Grill is now near the Dail bar. 1950s style diner with some amazing sandwiches and brunch items.

Yep. But despite the name they had no idea what a vegetarian breakfast
    should look like. My only alternative was a greasy stir fry on French(ish) bread at 8 in the morning after work from the Salthill place.
    I'm still alive though so no complaints.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement