Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My Bloody Valentine to release new album next month!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I always thought MBV were known as a "British" band? I know a few of them are Irish, but were they always based in the UK?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

seachto7 wrote: »
    I always thought MBV were known as a "British" band? I know a few of them are Irish, but were they always based in the UK?
    two are Irish, however really....MBV are only a live band...I doubt any of them other than Kevin has played a note in the studio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭LizardKing82

Actually

judging by the reaction to the new album MBV is looking like the most overrated album of all time

absolute rubbish

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

It's an Irish soccer team thing. Like Daniel Day Lewis.

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    It's an Irish soccer team thing. Like Daniel Day Lewis.
    except kevin is actually Irish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,732 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I'll be lambasted for this, but the emperor is parading around in the buff. Or maybe he's wearing a mildly sexy loin cloth made out of an old 'Loveless' t-shirt.

Yep, there's cool sound textures, some unusual and unorthodox mixing and production etc. Not unexpected. There's some needless moments too-I'm by no means adverse to interlude or ambient type pieces, but 'is this and yes' is what Kevin Shields must have unconvincingly said to himself when questioning whether or not he just made a song. 'Nothing is' is also similarly aptly titled.

Also, hasn't this all been approximated in the meantime? I think so. Even if this had come out in '92 it would've haven't really mattered so much- It had been bettered the year before.

I dont think lambasted.

Everyone has their own tastes. I never liked Pink Floyd. They've sold 80 million albums. I much preferred Pablo Honey to OK Computer, thought OK Computer was a bit disappointment. Most people wouldnt agree.

I think mbv is very good, as to most people here.

Lads.....

This whole "Its an Irish band, not a British band" debate is a bit Irish imho......this sort of debate is illustrative of our insecurity, being insecure in our national identity.

Who cares if its an Irish band or a British band. Is it one up for us if they are Irish? I dont think so.

The irony is that the biggest rock band in the world for the past 30 years is Irish, and yet everyone here slags them off.

And no one ever calls U2 a British band even though The Edge and Adam were both born in Britain.

Here is an article from HotPress where mbv say they couldnt wait to get out of Dublin.

http://www.hotpress.com/archive/416413.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

nocoverart wrote: »
    I really don't get them and never have. I tried to give the new album my full attention last night but half way through I just felt jaded by it all. A shame really because there's not many "EDGY" Irish bands, and would like to get what other people get when it comes to MBV. I'm not opposed to Shoegaze either.

I could have written all the above,bought the album 10-15 years ago on the back of all the reviews,baffled by it to be honest,just sounds like barely audible/decipherable vocals over generic indie.....with loads of feedback,im all for feedback(i could listen to Neil Youngs noisey stuff all day)but it just sounds like the music is built around it with MBV

Im gonna give the new one a few spins though,i do enjoy a bit of noise and i didnt get Tom Waits for a long time now i worship him so never know!

Do they have any live albums? i could see theyre stuff working better live

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Lads.....

This whole "Its an Irish band, not a British band" debate is a bit Irish imho......this sort of debate is illustrative of our insecurity, being insecure in our national identity.

Who cares if its an Irish band or a British band. Is it one up for us if they are Irish? I dont think so.

The irony is that the biggest rock band in the world for the past 30 years is Irish, and yet everyone here slags them off.

And no one ever calls U2 a British band even though The Edge and Adam were both born in Britain.

Here is an article from HotPress where mbv say they couldnt wait to get out of Dublin.

http://www.hotpress.com/archive/416413.html

Yes but look at the amount of bands that didn't leave Ireland....(off the top of my head)
    Something happens
    Aslan
    The blizzards
    mary black sons band
    and the rest....

You can stay here and be the darlings of the irish press and live in your happy bubble ...or leave and see your true worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Lads.....

Not wanting to get into a debate about it. I rarely hear them called anything other than "My Bloody Valentine". I guess seeing as they were signed with an English label, they got lumped into the new wave of British bands at the time.
    But I never really heard them championed by the Irish music press, who would have championed Ash and Therapy who would also have been called British bands by the British press.
    Anyways, it doesn't really matter. :o:o

• Advertisement

Not wanting to get into a debate about it. I rarely hear them called anything other than "My Bloody Valentine". I guess seeing as they were signed with an English label, they got lumped into the new wave of British bands at the time.
    But I never really heard them championed by the Irish music press, who would have championed Ash and Therapy who would also have been called British bands by the British press.
    Anyways, it doesn't really matter. :o:o
    Ash and therapy have always been around...MBV left and never came back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

except kevin is actually Irish

Not completely true. More of an Irish-American. Was born in New York.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭mosstin

Actually

judging by the reaction to the new album MBV is looking like the most overrated album of all time

absolute rubbish

He says not a week after its release. I'm guessing you're a three minute kind of guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

I was 16 and studying for my Leaving Cert when Isn't Anything was released. It blew me away.

I've played this new album six times and it gets better with each listen.

Wonder 2 and New You are my highpoints. The latter could benefit from an Andy Weatherall remix.

22 years since Loveless and they still sound unique. Can't wait to spin the LP.

I dont think lambasted.

Everyone has their own tastes. I never liked Pink Floyd. They've sold 80 million albums. I much preferred Pablo Honey to OK Computer, thought OK Computer was a bit disappointment. Most people wouldnt agree.

I think mbv is very good, as to most people here.

Really? You prefer Pablo Honey? Each to their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

mosstin wrote: »

I was surprised at this too. Thought that Pablo Honey was a very average record. Not played it since the late 1990s but doubt if it's improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

Can't remember if I already posted this, apologies if so, but I made a MBV dj mix the other night, something I'd wanted to do anyways but could now cover material from their whole career!

Listens appreciated, hope you enjoy.

https://soundcloud.com/flynnad/red-wine-ecstasy-mbv-mix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Actually

absolute rubbish
    Firstly the album isn't even out a week and you're calling it the most overrated album of all time? Of course the album is going to generate a lot of hype, it has been anticipated for a very long time and surprisingly it hasn't been a disappointment despite this. In my view it's a worthy follow-up to Loveless and I might even prefer it to Isn't Anything over time.

Secondly what are you comparing it to to brand it as complete rubbish?

So far the album is amazing .....just sayin...
    The very least I could say is they have followed up loveless satisfactorily ....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

But I never really heard them championed by the Irish music press
    Somebody obviously thinks Dave Fanning is counterculture...
    Anyway, gave it a listen on the speakers. Will try it once more tomorrow on headphones. Just sounds like fairly random tinkerings with the (C) guitar distortion trick ad nauseum. It's significantly less tuneful than Loveless.

• Advertisement

Yes sir, I do.

I thought Pablo Honey was a good rock album. Nothing to fancy, no bells and whistles, just an honest to goodness good rock album. Which is easier said than done. Some great songs. Stop Whispering, Start Shouting for example a cracking song, also Anyone Can Play Guitar or Thinking About You. And Radiohead arguably have not written a better song than Creep. Some average songs also. But overall I liked it a lot.

OK Computer in my opinion was over produced, self indulgent, songs that meandered too much... in short, up their own backsides....Paranoid Android a prime example, Karma Police another. Also, I found OK Computer a bit depressing whereas Radiohoney was upbeat.......

Also, I thought Pablo Honey had a good consistency to it from the point of view of production and consistency of sound, whereas OK Computer was all over the place in this regard.

I would have been a really big Radiohead fan after the first two albums but more or less went off them completely when OK Computer came out and havent really listened to them since.

But thats just me.......I dont like it when rock artists get too complex and into their own profoundness......similarly, I much much prefer Tom Waits first two albums to anything he has done since......I'd see his career arc as similar to Radioheads......started off doing good music and then progressed on to weird music, thanks all the same but I prefer the earlier stuff.

Look, the point I was simply making is.......people have tastes, just because one person thinks mbv is crap, that doesnt make it crap.......people were coming here on saying mbv was completely overrated on the basis that that person didnt like it!!!

I dont like OK Computer, that doesnt make it a crap album....

I have to thanks you guys; I've just been giving Pablo Honey a listen for the first time in years, it really is class.

I Cant is such a great song. The interaction between the vocals and the guitar in that song is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,926 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Yes sir, I do.

I thought Pablo Honey was a good rock album. Nothing to fancy, no bells and whistles, just an honest to goodness good rock album. Which is easier said than done. Some great songs. Stop Whispering, Start Shouting for example a cracking song, also Anyone Can Play Guitar or Thinking About You. And Radiohead arguably have not written a better song than Creep. Some average songs also. But overall I liked it a lot.

OK Computer in my opinion was over produced, self indulgent, songs that meandered too much... in short, up their own backsides....Paranoid Android a prime example, Karma Police another. Also, I found OK Computer a bit depressing whereas Radiohoney was upbeat.......

Also, I thought Pablo Honey had a good consistency to it from the point of view of production and consistency of sound, whereas OK Computer was all over the place in this regard.

I would have been a really big Radiohead fan after the first two albums but more or less went off them completely when OK Computer came out and havent really listened to them since.

But thats just me.......I dont like it when rock artists get too complex and into their own profoundness......similarly, I much much prefer Tom Waits first two albums to anything he has done since......I'd see his career arc as similar to Radioheads......started off doing good music and then progressed on to weird music, thanks all the same but I prefer the earlier stuff.

Look, the point I was simply making is.......people have tastes, just because one person thinks mbv is crap, that doesnt make it crap.......people were coming here on saying mbv was completely overrated on the basis that that person didnt like it!!!

I dont like OK Computer, that doesnt make it a crap album....

I wouldn't really agree with you about preferring Pablo Honey to OK Computer but I will say that it's a very underrated album

• Registered Users Posts: 12,926 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Actually

absolute rubbish

If you didn't like Loveless, it's very unlikely you're gonna like the new album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

I'm of the opinion that Radiohead improved from OK Computer until Kid A.

Have to say I think Creep is their worst song, mainly because for me it sounds like an angsty teenagers poor attempt at a love song.

Haven't gotten around to the last 4 albums yet, I'd like them to make a drastic change again, even Thom Yorke's solo was still dabbling with the electronics, why don't they make a trad album or a reggae album, something completely different would be nice.

But then as you say music is subjective, Creep is overrated to me, Pablo Honey is fairly rated as a weak album, The Bends, OK Computer and Kid A are fairly rated and everything since hasn't had the same effect on me as those three albums.

Back to MBV, I still haven't gotten tired of the new album but perhaps it is still too early to be comparing it to the last two albums so I'll give it time and just remember that its one of the few records that overcame its hype and has delivered (thus far anyway).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Loveless is an album that you eith love or loath I think.
    A lot of my friends would listen to it and think it's just noise and mumbles.

For me the beginning of ‘I Only Said’ is stunning.
    The guitar plays the same tune/noise for about 20 seconds but every 5 seconds he repeats a small bit of it.
    For me the thing about MBV is that they make the noise musical, it rises and falls and has movements.

I’ve never looked up what the lyrics are, doesn’t really matter to me, they’re just part of the overall sound.
    I also love the Cocteau Twin, a lot more musical but also very hard to understand their lyrics.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Back on topic. This is not a Radiohead thread.

Ok folks, as I have nothing further to say on MBV, and have received a warning for going off topic, I will now exit this discussion.

Best of luck to y'all, happy shoe-gazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

Only listened to it a few times so far. I will say that 'only tomorrow' is digging itself into my brain more and more, it's slightly addictive. So far it does seem a bit like Loveless 2, and I'm fine with that. I never expected or wanted them to try and reinvent the wheel. I'll look elsewhere for people pushing musical boundaries. I'm just happy to have more My Bloody Valentine tracks to blast in my headphones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭theUbiq

I'm liking the new mbv album; favourite track is 'New You', the melody is infectious in a subtle way!

:D

theUbiq wrote: »
    I'm liking the new mbv album; favourite track is 'New You', the melody is infectious in a subtle way!

:D

Love it too but don't think there's anything remotely subtle about the melody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭theUbiq

Love it too but don't think there's anything remotely subtle about the melody.

Fair enough... :p

CD Arrived yesterday, sounds great, a little brighter than the MP3's. Heading over to Manchester weekend after next to see them for the first time.

Tried introducing the album to some mates....funny, if you're not a fan all the great things about MBV are utterly abhorant!!
    "they sound a bit wonky"
    "sounds like a dodgey tape player"
    :)

I wonder do their albums sales count towards chart numbers?
    If they did I wonder would MBV make the charts; I presume loads of people ordered it when announced.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

dinneenp wrote: »
    If they did I wonder would MBV make the charts; I presume loads of people ordered it when announced.

When asked about this Kevin Shields responded, "Charts? What are c-h-a-r-t-s?"

The band would have to declare or submit the album sales for charts. ..this reminded me of back in the day as a pre teen when i'd be watching the chart show on ITV and they cut to the rock or indie chart and i would be blown away by a band such as mbv or any metal band that you wouldn't normally see...

When asked about this Kevin Shields responded, "Charts? What are c-h-a-r-t-s?"

I know but in charts= more publicity = more sales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I know but in charts= more publicity = more sales.
    Not in charts = less publicity = more indie cred ;)

Seriously though, I think they got all the publicity they needed on reputation alone.

the more i think about it, was the release a comedy of errors or absolute top class internet beating marketing genius?
    Even the website crash looked like a work of genius from where i was sitting, it sent a message to the world that something interesting was happening!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 arbitrary constant

Hey there! :) Going to see MBV in Manchester on Sunday and just have a couple of quick questions for anyone who may have seen them before:

Are you given earplugs at the door by the security people? Or are you expected to bring your own?

And if you are given them by the security people, are they "proper" earplugs? Or are they the flimsy kind given out by airline staff on long flights? 'Cause I've had those in-line foam crap earplugs on flights and they were useless; they just fell out of my ears when I put them in, :( So I'm hoping we get better quality ones,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Hey there! :) Going to see MBV in Manchester on Sunday and just have a couple of quick questions for anyone who may have seen them before:

Are you given earplugs at the door by the security people? Or are you expected to bring your own?

And if you are given them by the security people, are they "proper" earplugs? Or are they the flimsy kind given out by airline staff on long flights? 'Cause I've had those in-line foam crap earplugs on flights and they were useless; they just fell out of my ears when I put them in, :( So I'm hoping we get better quality ones,

huh???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

They give you a pair of beats by dre, and an ipod full of justin beiber tunes so you wont actually have to hear them play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭mathproblem

haha.. buy your own i'd say. Saw them at EP around 08 and nobody was giving out earplugs that i saw. I was actually a bit sorry i had brought none, it was uncomfortable at times. Maybe i've damaged my ears over the years with headphones/ear-buds but i actually felt a little pain at that gig.

The foam ones woulda done me fine, i would have moved closer to the front if I'd had them. Apparently Shields wants it so loud like that so that you can feel the music physically, drowned in sound literally lol.

Shane St. wrote: »
    huh???
    Pretty self-explanatory question I would have thought.
    eoing1 wrote: »
    They give you a pair of beats by dre, and an ipod full of justin beiber tunes so you wont actually have to hear them play
    :rolleyes: I'm hugely looking forward to hearing them, I would just rather do so without ending up with tinnitus afterwards.
    haha.. buy your own i'd say. Saw them at EP around 08 and nobody was giving out earplugs that i saw. I was actually a bit sorry i had brought none, it was uncomfortable at times. Maybe i've damaged my ears over the years with headphones/ear-buds but i actually felt a little pain at that gig.

The foam ones woulda done me fine, i would have moved closer to the front if I'd had them. Apparently Shields wants it so loud like that so that you can feel the music physically, drowned in sound literally lol.

Well at least someone out there is capable of a sensible response. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

When I saw them in the Manchester Apollo in '08 the staff handed out earplugs. We'd brought our own though so I'm not sure how good they were. They also had signs up warning people about the volume.

Anyone who thinks it's a silly idea to wear earplugs at a gig has obviously never been to a MBV gig (especially indoors). They're louder than anything you've ever heard and you definitely will damage your hearing if you don't wear earplugs. Granted they weren't as loud at the Electric Picnic - not sure if this was because they weren't allowed up the volume or whether it was because it was in a tent so it didn't seem as loud - but I think you can't actually hear their music properly without the plugs. You certainly can't appreciate everything they're doing as a lot of it was just distorting for me when I tested what it was like to listen unprotected.

Having said that most people who work in music routinely wear earplugs and even get customised ones made for themselves to lessen hearing damage so we should probably all be wearing them for big gigs.

Just back from Barrowlands show. In many ways it was epic but the sound ****ed things up. Couldn't hear Shields' vocals at all which is no little detail. Set list was everything you'd want it to be. They only played 8 minutes of the holocaust section in 'Realise' and closed the show - perfectly - with 'Wonder 2'.
    New songs fitted in really well. More than one or two false starts - it's clear they haven't played together in a while. Still, thrilling night. Enjoy Manchester. Was there in 2008 and the sound was miles better.

Just back from o2 Apollo, Savage gig, mbv tunes were highlights, not everyday you hear this but the holocaust was an amazing experience. Colm o c joins the band down front with a guitar for wonderii! Deaf as a post now!

Y'know, it actually wasn't as loud as I thought it was gonna be! Apart from the holocaust section of "You Made Me Realise" I didn't really need the earplugs after all! :D

It was a great gig. Few songs I would have liked to have heard that weren't played but I guess that's just nit-picking. "To Here Knows When" was absolutely sublime and I loved the two false starts to "Feed Me With Your Kiss". Also Kevin Shields sticking out his tongue and making a silly face was unexpectedly funny; didn't think he was gonna interact with the crowd at all up until that point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭jd

Anyone here get their vinyl yet? still waiting. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement