Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M.Litt theses online...

Options
  • 07-11-2012 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I recently switched from the PhD register to the M.Litt register (best thing I ever did!) but now I'm faced with writing an M.Litt thesis which of course is different to what I had been gearing up for. I need to have a look at some similar theses but I'm finding it hard to find any online. I'm not living near my Uni so it's a bit difficult to go in and read the hard copies that are kept in the library. I need to have an idea of the level of detail and writing needed, as I have a deadline next week and don't want to head off on completely the wrong course.

So does anyone know of anywhere I can read full M.Litt theses online?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

This advice comes with some cautions, as it's a system I haven't used before so you'd need to check 1) if it is available to people outside the UK, and 2) whether it carries MLitt theses.

It's the British Library's EThOS catalogue for research theses. I know it carries a lot of PhDs (except Oxbridge I think) but you might be able to search for MLitt theses. Here's the link: http://ethos.bl.uk/Home.do

Beyond that I don't have any suggestions I'm afraid, all the theses I've consulted previously at both my universities have been held by the library or department office, so you may just have to take a trip up; perhaps try & have it coincide with a meeting with your supervisor or some other event that you have to attend? Or have you asked your supervisor about this? Would they not have an idea of the level you should be pitching your work at?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Try NUIM etheses - has a few M.Litt theses on open access.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

gutenberg wrote: »
    This advice comes with some cautions, as it's a system I haven't used before so you'd need to check 1) if it is available to people outside the UK, and 2) whether it carries MLitt theses.

It's the British Library's EThOS catalogue for research theses. I know it carries a lot of PhDs (except Oxbridge I think) but you might be able to search for MLitt theses. Here's the link: http://ethos.bl.uk/Home.do

Beyond that I don't have any suggestions I'm afraid, all the theses I've consulted previously at both my universities have been held by the library or department office, so you may just have to take a trip up; perhaps try & have it coincide with a meeting with your supervisor or some other event that you have to attend? Or have you asked your supervisor about this? Would they not have an idea of the level you should be pitching your work at?

Cheers. I actually came up and got what I needed.

As for my supervisor, yes she does know but I do a lot better if I can read examples before I start writing. I can go off on a tangent and I end up wasting time.

Thanks!

Advertisement