Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Catholic Sunday School

Options
  • 07-11-2012 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭

Hey there

Just wondering if there is such a thing as catholic Sunday school or classes for children in Drogheda area?

My son doesn't do religion in his school and in order to make his communion he needs to do an hour a week by certified peoples!!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Hobbit101

PinkFly wrote: »
    Hey there

Just wondering if there is such a thing as catholic Sunday school or classes for children in Drogheda area?

My son doesn't do religion in his school and in order to make his communion he needs to do an hour a week by certified peoples!!

Thanks!
    I would advise against brainwashing your own son.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Hobbit101 wrote: »
    I would advise against brainwashing your own son.
    This is not the place for such an argument. If you have something to say, answer the OP's question.

Any more of this and there will be bans.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Condatis

Your best port of call in the first instance is your Parish Priest

In my experience they will be prepared to give instruction themselves or nominate somebody in parish who will do so.

They are likely to suggest that you get in touch with a local Roman Catholic School and arrange to have your child receive the sacraments on the same day as children from that school.

You could also give instruction yourself. Material to assist with instruction is available from the Veritas Bookshop in Dublin.

http://www.veritasbooksonline.com/

I am busy at the moment but if you do not get enough information I will post some more advice early tomorrow morning.

If you are a practising Catholic you are welll equipped to participte in preparing your child for Communion.

You will get some assistance here:

http://www.catholicireland.net/pages/index.php?nd=88

As I said, your Parish Priest is the best person to contact for guidance. You are unlikely to be the first person to approach him on this issue. Books available from the likes of Veritas will be of assistance. The basic requirement is that the child has been properly instructed in the sacraments to be received. You can do much of this yourself by bringing the child to Mass each and explaining what is happening. Discuss at home the elements of the sacraments and instruct your child on the associated prayers and their meanings.

Ideally your Parish Priest will put you in touch with somebody who will supplement your instruction. Once he is satisfied that instruction has been adequate there should be problem. If he suggests that your child receive First Communion at the same time as children from a local school make contact with that school to discuss dates and such details. They may be agreeable that you join them at the church for preparatory occasions.

You do need to be attending Mass with your child and going through at home prayers and 'knowledge' described in the books that your acquire.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,359 ✭✭✭positron

PinkFly, purely out of curiosity, doesn't the school your son attending provide this type of religious classes? Or is it that they are doing some other sect / denomination? I thought even the ET schools catered for this type of needs outside school hours? Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

It does indeed provides a class once a week but I am looking in to other avenues because

1. The children finish at 2.30 and classes don't start until 3.15 I live a fair distance away from the school, which means if he goes home on bus I can't get him back out. They provide an after school homework club but it's €40 a term and at 6 I think he's too young to have such a long day at school

2. They are charging €10 a class for the hour, this goes on till 6th class obviously, most of the school will be attending so I think it's basically sponging the parents

Every one has their own opinions, I am a Practicing catholic, I don't mind attending each week but it feels like the school are thinking of themselves and not the interests of the children

Pinkfly are they charging each child €10 per hour?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

2. They are charging €10 a class for the hour, this goes on till 6th class obviously, most of the school will be attending so I think it's basically sponging the parents

Every one has their own opinions, I am a Practicing catholic, I don't mind attending each week but it feels like the school are thinking of themselves and not the interests of the children
    I presume the school in an ET? Did you know religious formation classes would not be provided?It's a service to parents being provided, outside of school hours,so it has to be paid for.

The school aren't "sponging", if you wanted "free " religion classes,the local Catholic school would be your place, if you want "extras" , be it speech and drama, grinds, French or whatever outside of school,someone must be paid to provide them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

I presume the school in an ET? Did you know religious formation classes would not be provided?It's a service to parents being provided, outside of school hours,so it has to be paid for.

The school aren't "sponging", if you wanted "free " religion classes,the local Catholic school would be your place, if you want "extras" , be it speech and drama, grinds, French or whatever outside of school,someone must be paid to provide them.

I understand that but in order for many of the children to attend they have to do something until 315 so alot have to stay for homework club that's what I mean they are pushing parents into paying paying paying

They are charging ten euro PER CHILD PER HOUR for the teachers to stay behind to teach the kids religion I think that's ridiculous and that's until 6th class!! I don't believe it should be free but that's nuts, there are about 100 kids doing it and four teachers staying behind!

they gave a letter saying in order to make their communion with the rest of the class they have to be taught by some body that's 'certified' a load of bull so thats why I'm investigating other options

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

Well as Condatis stated, all you have to do is approach the parish priest, explain the predicament and take it from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭blackeyedpeat

I believe it is becoming a serious issue as the church are digging their heel's in and making life really akward for children not attending parish schools. Demands of 2.5 hours per week for confirmation! I have also heard of a parish priest stating during his sermon that religion is not a after school activity like football and he would not be accepting anyone for sacraments from a school like that

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Carra23

I believe it is becoming a serious issue as the church are digging their heel's in and making life really akward for children not attending parish schools. Demands of 2.5 hours per week for confirmation! I have also heard of a parish priest stating during his sermon that religion is not a after school activity like football and he would not be accepting anyone for sacraments from a school like that

The priest is full of sh!t because it is an after school activity like football and the sooner it is separated from our education system the better.

I cannot fathom why people seek spiritual and moral guidance from an institution that is spiritually and morally corrupt ! I suppose we did elect a tax dodging developer into the Dail, only the Irish, thick paddies ! (I'm Irish by the way)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

2.5 hours is the time allocated for religion in primary schools,weekly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

The sooner all religion is banned from every school in the country, the better!

If I want my kid to learn how to play the piano, ballet dance or do tae-kwon-do, I'd pay for it and it would happen after school.

If you want your kid to be instructed in such matters, then I'd rather none of my taxes paid for it, thank you very much.

I agree with the poster who said
    The priest is full of sh!t because it is an after school activity like football

They are charging ten euro PER CHILD PER HOUR for the teachers to stay behind to teach the kids religion I think that's ridiculous and that's until 6th class!!

I would imagine It might be rather hard for some teachers to stay back and support a class that teaches stuff against their values and principles; I won't do it for any money, for instance. :D

Carra23 wrote: »
    ... it is an after school activity like football and the sooner it is separated from our education system the better.

I would go as far as saying religious beliefs are very personal, and should be cultivated/taught only at home and nowhere else. But then again that's based on my background which did not involve any of the Abrahamic religions like Islam or Catholicism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

I'm struggling to figure out how the discussion went from the initial issue at hand i.e ''finding out where this lady can get the tools needed to school her children in the faith'' to a discussion that would seem off topic such as ''The Catholic Church is corrupt and the sooner religion is taken out of all schools the better'' and ''its an ''activity'' that should be done after school hours.''

We take for granted that many posters here don't like Catholicism, but I don't think it addresses this ladys topic. But it seems that the anti-religious brigade cannot seem but help themselves in worming their way into the thread.

Could parents organise a rota to do the time between school ending and religion starting to help with costs?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Onesimus wrote: »
    But it seems that the anti-religious brigade cannot seem but help themselves in worming their way into the thread.

Now, now, don't fall into the trap yourself. Don't generalise. I'd say I'm anti-religion (to a tame extent) but I'd agree with you it's not the place for it now. Don't paint a larger group with a brush cause some people here feel a huge urge to turn the Louth board into After Hours :P

Onesimus wrote: »
    I'm struggling to figure out how the discussion went from the initial issue at hand i.e ''finding out where this lady can get the tools needed to school her children in the faith'' to a discussion that would seem off topic such as ''The Catholic Church is corrupt and the sooner religion is taken out of all schools the better'' and ''its an ''activity'' that should be done after school hours.''

We take for granted that many posters here don't like Catholicism, but I don't think it addresses this ladys topic. But it seems that the anti-religious brigade cannot seem but help themselves in worming their way into the thread.

Sorry its just coincidence that the particular religious instruction sought by said lady was Catholicism, which I do not like, but more importantly I do not believe ANY religion should be intertwined with education. They are not dependent on each other or even compliment each other for that matter.

Spiritual and moral guidance is the responsibility of the parent, its really that simple. If that means that the parent takes full responsibility and teaches lessons of life to their child themselves or looks for a class like the OP is doing well that's just down to the individual but it is not the responsibility of the state, the state being every single tax payer in the country !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

If you want your kid to be instructed in such matters, then I'd rather none of my taxes paid for it, thank you very much.
    I have 2 kids in a catholic primary school and none of your taxes pay for their religious education. The parish financially contributes to the school as well as having borne the cost of the site and building it.

You may need to research how schools are funded in this country.

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    I have 2 kids in a catholic primary school and none of your taxes pay for their religious education. The parish financially contributes to the school as well as having borne the cost of the site and building it.

You may need to research how schools are funded in this country.

Eh who pays the teachers salaries ? I know who does but maybe you should do your research.

Listen this is a discussion forum so I hate when people comment about threads going off topic because that is the nature of a discussion, people respond to other peoples comments, so I don't wanna just come on and bash the Catholic Church but you are trying to imply that they pay all of the costs of running the schools that they control which is the most ridiculous suggestion I have ever heard !

They buggered and abused a disgusting amount of innocent individuals and when it was proven so, couldn't even compensate their victims, they loaded the state with that responsibility !

Read the Ryan report, oh know wait, you cant because you've still got your eyes closed. Oink oink !

Technically, teachers don't get paid for teaching religion. It was traditionally time taken from the hour lunchtime.

Technically, teachers don't get paid for teaching religion. It was traditionally time taken from the hour lunchtime.

byhookorbycrook I cant argue that point because I dont know the history in that sense but what you say suggests that if they didn't get paid they do it for free which I highly doubt !

Just want to clarify that I come from a Catholic family, my mother is as holy as they come and I respect everyone's beliefs if that's what your into, different strokes for different folks as they say but religion being so ingrained with our education system is a big issue for me and people who want it, expecting it as a right is laughable.

Imagine my belief was that we were put here by aliens as an experiment to see how long it would take us to realise that we are a race of stupid gullible mutha fookers, who don't know our arse from our elbow and I wanted that concept thought to my children, in school at tax payers expense, how many would go along with it ?

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Thread closed because certain people cannot follow the most basic of instructions. This thread was meant to be about helping a poster to find a Sunday school in Louth for their kid, not Catholicism vs everybody else.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement